GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 07:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Engine noise from boats travelling through killer whales’ habitats ran

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Engine noise from boats travelling through killer whales’ habitats ran  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2019, 11:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

77% (01:31) correct 23% (01:40) wrong based on 164 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Engine noise from boats travelling through killer whales’ habitats ranges in frequency from 100 hertz to 3,000 hertz, an acoustical range that overlaps that in which the whales communicate through screams and squeals. Though killer whales do not seem to behave differently around running boat engines, engine noise from boats can be loud enough to damage their hearing over time. Therefore, _______.

Which one of the following most logically completes the argument?
(A) younger killer whales are better able to tolerate engine noise from boats than older whales are
(B) killer whales are less likely to attempt to communicate with one another when boat engines are operating nearby
(C) noise from boat engines may impair killer whales’ ability to communicate
(D) killer whales are most likely to prefer areas where boat traffic is present, but light
(E) killer whales would probably be more successful in finding food if boats did not travel through their habitats

G
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Engine noise from boats travelling through killer whales’ habitats ran  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 02:01
In my view answer (A)" younger killer whales are better able to tolerate engine noise from boats than older whales are" could be logically inferred from the premise " engine noise from boats can be loud enough to damage their hearing over time".

Yet, answer (C) "noise from boat engines may impair killer whales’ ability to communicate" is contrary to the text arguing that "killer whales do not seem to behave differently around running boat engines". Also, no where in the text there is specific mention that "boat engines may impair killer whales’ ability to communicate". Any insights...
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Re: Engine noise from boats travelling through killer whales’ habitats ran  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 05:03
Nope.A doesn't make sense in this context.

If hearing is damaged, then it will be possible to tolerate the sound better.Not become intolerant.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 03:30
patto wrote:
Engine noise from boats travelling through killer whales’ habitats ranges in frequency from 100 hertz to 3,000 hertz, an acoustical range that overlaps that in which the whales communicate through screams and squeals. Though killer whales do not seem to behave differently around running boat engines, engine noise from boats can be loud enough to damage their hearing over time. Therefore, _______.

Which one of the following most logically completes the argument?
(A) younger killer whales are better able to tolerate engine noise from boats than older whales are
(B) killer whales are less likely to attempt to communicate with one another when boat engines are operating nearby
(D) killer whales are most likely to prefer areas where boat traffic is present, but light
(E) killer whales would probably be more successful in finding food if boats did not travel through their habitats

Premises:
Engine noise ranges in frequency that overlaps the range in which whales communicate.
The whales don't behave differently around running boat engines
Engine noise can damage their hearing over time.

Therefore ...
We are looking for a conclusion.

We cannot conclude this. What if young whales have bad hearing and it improves over years as they reach youth but the engine noise impacts hearing in a few months? We don't know enough to say what is their better/best hearing age.

Not true. The argument says specifically that they don't behave differently when the running engines are around. So we certainly CANNOT conclude that they don't communicate normally when engines are around.

The argument tells us that engine noise can damage their hearing over time. This could certainly impair their ability to communicate. Hence this is correct. Noise from engines may impair their ability to communicate.

We don't know what they prefer and whether they get disturbed by boat noise. Also, no reason to assume that they prefer areas where boat traffic is present.

No mention of food finding so irrelevant.

Answer (C)

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
G
Engine noise from boats travelling through killer whales’ habitats ran  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2019, 22:58
sony1000 wrote:
In my view answer (A)" younger killer whales are better able to tolerate engine noise from boats than older whales are" could be logically inferred from the premise " engine noise from boats can be loud enough to damage their hearing over time".

Yet, answer (C) "noise from boat engines may impair killer whales’ ability to communicate" is contrary to the text arguing that "killer whales do not seem to behave differently around running boat engines". Also, no where in the text there is specific mention that "boat engines may impair killer whales’ ability to communicate". Any insights...

sony1000

I also got confused with this answer choice and rejected it on the basis of the word 'Communicate'. i thought the last line mentions about the boat engines noise affecting the whale's hearing ability but why won't the be able to communicate as they communicate through screams and squeals. But then I realized that 'communicate' is a two way process, wherein we speak also and listen also with our peers. So until we don't listen how will we speak. It may seem absurd now as to why i thought this way but sometimes, i guess, in the flow you may get confused at the basic level. Anyways, so C fits perfectly here.

As far as answer choice A is concerned, we can not be sure whether Younger whales will be less or more susceptible to engine noise. It may be so that as you grow older for whales you become more tolerant towards noise but that also goes up to a certain level. But this whole thing is nowhere stated directly in the passage.

So i resolved it this way. Hope it may help you too.
Let me know if any gap in my understanding.
A Kudos is one more question and its answer understood by somebody !!!
GMAT Club Bot
Engine noise from boats travelling through killer whales’ habitats ran   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2019, 22:58

Engine noise from boats travelling through killer whales’ habitats ran

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics