It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ethicist: Many environmentalists hold

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 55

GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Ethicist: Many environmentalists hold [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 09:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (02:09) correct 37% (02:36) wrong based on 129 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Ethicist: Many environmentalists hold that the natural environment is morally valuable for its own sake,regardless of any benefits it provides us.However,even if nature has no moral value,nature can be regarded as worth preserving simply on the grounds that people find it beautiful.Moreover,because it is philosophically disputable whether nature is morally valuable but undeniable that it is beautiful,an argument for preserving nature that emphasizes nature’s beauty will be less vulnerable to logical objections than one that emphasizes its moral value. The ethicist’s reasoning most closely conforms to which one of the following principles?

(A) An argument in favor of preserving nature will be less open to logical objections if it avoids the issue of what makes nature worth preserving.
(B) If an argument for preserving nature emphasizes a specific characteristic of nature and is vulnerable to logical objections,then that characteristic does not provide a sufficient reason for preserving nature.
(C) If it is philosophically disputable whether nature has a certain characteristic,then nature would be more clearly worth preserving if it did not have that characteristic.
(D) Anything that has moral value is worth preserving regardless of whether people consider it to be beautiful.
(E) An argument for preserving nature will be less open to logical objections if it appeals to a characteristic that can be regarded as a basis for preserving nature and that philosophically indisputably belongs to nature.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 55

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 958 [0], given: 69

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Ethicist: Many environmentalists hold [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 10:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In short, the argument is saying whether it adds moral value or not, it is beautiful hence should be preserved. Then the argument uses certain points to prove its beauty and hence why is should be preserved. That means one property is sufficient to preserve irrespective of other properties.

Option E clearly says so.

(A) An argument in favor of preserving nature will be less open to logical objections if it avoids the issue of what makes nature worth preserving. : No, this avoid thing is not mentioned anywhere.
(B) If an argument for preserving nature emphasizes a specific characteristic of nature and is vulnerable to logical objections,then that characteristic does not provide a sufficient reason for preserving nature. This is opposite.
(C) If it is philosophically disputable whether nature has a certain characteristic,then nature would be more clearly worth preserving if it did not have that characteristic. : We are not sure about this. We are given the it is philosophically acceptable. What would happen it is disputable is OFS.
(D) Anything that has moral value is worth preserving regardless of whether people consider it to be beautiful. : Too extreme to select
(E) An argument for preserving nature will be less open to logical objections if it appeals to a characteristic that can be regarded as a basis for preserving nature and that philosophically indisputably belongs to nature. Correct, as per reasoning mentioned above.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 958 [0], given: 69

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ethicist: Many environmentalists hold [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 10:10
Good question..i chose C but now I know why it's wrong

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 103

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 04:44
E encapsulates the Ethicist's reasoning. Other options are either irrelevant or do not cover all notions of Ethicist.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 103

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.31
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 11:40
nippu wrote:
Good question..i chose C but now I know why it's wrong

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

E's reasoning matches the reasoning in the text. It is perfectly right.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Re: Ethicist: Many environmentalists hold   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2017, 11:40

Ethicist: Many environmentalists hold

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap