Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 16:37 It is currently 10 May 2024, 16:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx   Pronounsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42110 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6880 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 687
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.6
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Re: Excavators at the Indus Valley site of Harappa in eastern Pakistan say [#permalink]
Well, it is advisable to use a reporting word after say, not mandatory though. An answer choice would not be incorrect just because it is not using 'that' after a reporting verb i.e. it must be having other apparent errors.

The question that you have posted is an official one, so you can take it for granted the usage of say is correct as it is not in the underlined part.

To sum up, if you have two grammatically and contextually correct answer choices, the only difference is that one contains "that" after a reporting verb another doesn't then choose the one with "that"

The below usages of the verb say are totally correct.

Senators say the nursing home rule is not followed
Some teachers say MPS make-up class guidelines are not followed
Apple now says it is looking into how users can reset their account passwords to ensure that their data is protected

to answer the question, it tests parallel structure

the discovery.... indicates that the development, the use of ...and the standardization of...occurred earlier than was prev believed
Correct Answer -- (C)

Hope it helps,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Excavators at the Indus Valley site of Harappa in eastern Pakistan say [#permalink]
"earlier than was previously believed" here what and where is the subject of was

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
The first noticeable split is indicate vs indicates

The subject is discovery not shards. As the subject is singular, verb should also be singular

Eliminate A, B

Their reference is unclear in choice C, D , Eliminate C, D
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
(B) indicate that the development of a Harappan writing system, using

(B) has the same subject-verb error as (A): “the discovery… indicate” is wrong.

The parallelism is also a problem here. In some answer choices, we have “the discovery indicates that the development…, the use…, and the standardization… occurred many decades earlier…” Cool, that gives us three parallel nouns, and it makes sense to say that the three things all happened many decades earlier.

But in (B), “the use” has been changed to “using” – so now it’s a modifier, suggesting that “inscribed seals impressed into clay for marking ownership” were used to actually develop the writing system. And that doesn’t make much sense, since the seals that marked ownership didn't have anything to do with the development of the writing system.

So again, we have plenty of reasons to eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) indicates that their development of a Harappan writing system, using

(C) has two familiar problems: first, “their” doesn’t make any sense. See the description of answer choice (A) for more on this issue. Second, the modifier “using…” doesn’t make sense, as described under answer choice (B).

So (C) is out, too.

GMATNinja
Hello sir,
Thanks for the fantastic explanation.
I've a query on the basis of adverbial modifier (COMMA+verbING). In both choice B and C, shouldn't 'COMMA+Using' modify either 'subject' of the preceding clause or, whole clause? The 'Harappan writing system' is the object of preposition. It seems that COMMA+USING should not modify it! It should modify the 'development'.

One important point to share that come up with my mind most of the times:
So far we know that 'COMMA+verbING' modifies either 'subject' or 'whole clause', IF and only IF the COMMA+verbING precedes a WHOLE CLAUSE. Unfortunately, 'development of a Harappan writing system' is NOT the clause anymore! So, can we knock out the choice B and C just by seeing that the part before COMMA+VerbING does not carry any whole clause?
Appreciating your help..
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 744 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Excavators at the Indus Valley site of Harappa in eastern Pakistan say [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
andi1 wrote:
How do you know that discovery is the subject and not Excavators?

Great question! To be clear, "Excavators" is the subject of this sentence. But the reason we know that "indicate" belongs to "discovery" and not "excavators" is because of meaning.

Let's look at these this meaning:

Excavators indicate their development of a Harappan writing system...

The issue here is that it sounds like the excavators are the ones who developed the Harappan writing system, but that is illogical since the excavators are in the present and the Harappan people are presumably in the past.

I go into this in more detail in this video:

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
(A) indicate their development of a Harappan writing system, the use of — SV error. “Discovery” is a singular subject that requires the singular verb “indicates”.

(B) indicate that the development of a Harappan writing system, using — same as A. Eliminate.

(C) indicates that their development of a Harappan writing system, using — “their” pronoun has no referent. Eliminate.

(D) indicates the development of a Harappan writing system, their use of — “their”. Same as C.

(E) indicates that the development of a Harappan writing system, the use of — correct. The meaning is also logically conveyed. The discovery indicated multiple things.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Excavators at the Indus Valley site of Harappa in eastern Pakistan say the discovery of inscribed shards dating to circa 2800–2600 B.C. indicate their development of a Harappan writing system, the use of inscribed seals impressed into clay for marking ownership, and the standardization of weights for trade or taxation occurred many decades, if not centuries, earlier than was previously believed.

(A) indicate their development of a Harappan writing system, the use of
-Error 1: the discovery is the noun which is singular in question...; 'indicate' is plural
-Error 2: 'their' lacks a logical antecedent

(B) indicate that the development of a Harappan writing system, using
-Error 1: the discovery is the noun which is singular in question...; 'indicate' is plural
-Error 2: 'that' the development is a long modifier that doesn't end with a thought.
-Error 3: 'using' is not parallel

(C) indicates that their development of a Harappan writing system, using
-Error 1: 'their' lacks a logical antecedent
-Error 2: 'using' is not parallel

(D) indicates the development of a Harappan writing system, their use of
-Error 1: 'their'?

(E) indicates that the development of a Harappan writing system, the use of
Correct
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi all,

When "that" is used to connect an IC with a DC, then it is not necessary to explicitly write "that" between the two clauses.
You can read the following the article to know more about various usages of "that":

https://gmatclub.com/forum/learn-how-th ... 38358.html

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

egmat

Thank you for this helpful article. I am stills struggling to understand when "that" needs to be after a verb.
She believes THAT she will win. vs. She believes she will win. --> seems like a sudle difference if there is a difference at all?
Gregory knows that Beyonce is a musician. vs. Gregory knows Beyonce is a musician. --> seems like a sudle difference, although the second sentence could mean that Greogory knows Beyonce personally/Beyonce is a musician.

Any further examples and advice on using this use of "that" would be greatly appreciative.

In other words, for the use of "that" in the examples above", I am aware that "that" may help clarify with meaning in a sentence. However, I am not sure when I should rule off an answer for a "that" missing when a "that" is required. Thank you for bearing with me :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 849 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts