Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [7]
Given Kudos: 92
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 546
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kenan-Flagler Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Hi everyone!
Coming from finance background... how can I skip UNC KF MBA.
Regards
Celestial
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kenan-Flagler Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Celestial09 wrote:
Hi everyone!
Coming from finance background... how can I skip UNC KF MBA.
Regards
Celestial

Same here, in for Round 1! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
In for Round 1.

Good luck :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply

Read How Rajan Seth got 100% Scholarship from Kenan Flagler in R2 Admissions Cycle

For many MBA applicants, 100% scholarships are more of a myth than a reality. They have been heard of, but few people are known who have received them. Yet, 100% scholarships for Indian students are not just myth, but reality. True, getting one is not easy, and nor are such scholarships common. However, for strong students who represent potential, scholarships are certainly possibly. Not everyone may get 100% scholarship at top MBA programs, but quite a few are able to get generous financial grants by way of scholarship.
Rajan was in no dearth of good career opportunities in his current role with a well-known financial major in Singapore. He had worked for big names such as JPMC and Credit Suisse, and his current role also gave him good growth and learning opportunities. When he decided to apply, therefore, Rajan wanted to apply only to the best schools.

Read How Rajan Seth got 100% Scholarship at Kenan Flagler in R2 Admissions Cycle
Manager
Manager
Send PM
In!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos

The Kenan-Flagler Business School at University of North Carolina has announced the following MBA application deadlines for the 2015-2016 admissions season.

Round 1 (Early Action)

Application due: October 16, 2015

Decision released: December 14, 2015

Round 2

Application due: December 4, 2015

Decision released: February 1, 2016

Round 3

Application due: January 15, 2016

Decision released: March 15, 2016

Round 4

Application due: March 11, 2016

Decision released: April 25, 2016

*If space is still available in the class, UNC Kenan-Flagler will accept applications after the Round 4 deadline. Decisions on applications submitted after the Round 4 deadline will be released on a rolling basis.

Applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on the application date.

For more information about UNC Kenan-Flagler’s MBA program, please visit the admissions website.

If you are looking for guidance on your Kenan-Flagler MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello Guys,

I'm also in for the Round 1. Goodluck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
In for R1. Any current students or alumns around?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GRE 1: Q169 V165
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
mesi wrote:

Good luck all!

I'm a first year currently attending ASW. I'm not allowed to officially represent the university here, but I'll be happy to answer questions as the year rolls on and talk about some of my experiences.

But... just to get the rumor mill churning, they presented some class stats to us at one of the information sessions. One thing that caught my eye is that the median GMAT score has supposedly jumped to 710 (mean of ~700) for the most recent class. Looking forward to the detailed info once it gets published in the next few months.

Edit:Info session during orientation put the GMAT number at just a hair over 700. Still an increase, but not as substantial as a jump to 710.

Edit 2: Original information was correct. Median GMAT is 710. Mean is 700, up 3-ish points from last year.

Originally posted by alwayswaiting on 20 Jul 2015, 14:27.
Last edited by alwayswaiting on 17 Aug 2015, 15:07, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
alwayswaiting wrote:
mesi wrote:

Good luck all!

I'm a first year currently attending ASW. I'm not allowed to officially represent the university here, but I'll be happy to answer questions as the year rolls on and talk about some of my experiences.

But... just to get the rumor mill churning, they presented some class stats to us at one of the information sessions. One thing that caught my eye is that the median GMAT score has supposedly jumped to 710 for the most recent class. Looking forward to the detailed info once it gets published in the next few months.

Pretty cool. That is quite a jump YoY if true! :shock:

Also, when you say "not allowed" that makes it sound like you've received an official warning to not represent KF on GMATClub.. Is that the case?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
TheFloridian wrote:

Pretty cool. That is quite a jump YoY if true! :shock:

Also, when you say "not allowed" that makes it sound like you've received an official warning to not represent KF on GMATClub.. Is that the case?

My apologies, that was poor wording on my part. I have not received a formal notification, but I wanted to make it clear that anything I say is in no way meant to be an official representation of the university or Kenan-Flagler Business School. I have not talked to them about this and as far as I know they are unaware that I am posting. I found this site useful during my application process and I wanted to give back, but some people will assume I am officially representing the school so I needed to cover my bases. :D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

Application Deadlines
Round 1 (Early Action)

Application due: October 16, 2015
Decision released: December 14, 2015
Round 2
Application due: December 4, 2015
Decision released: February 1, 2016
Round 3
Application due: January 15, 2016
Decision released: March 15, 2016
Round 4
Application due: March 11, 2016
Decision released: April 25, 2016
MBA Admissions Selection Criteria
We seek candidates for admission with strengths in these areas:

• Leadership and organizational abilities
• Communication skills
• Interpersonal skills
• Teamwork abilities
• Track record of results
• Drive and motivation
• Analytical skills and problem solving ability
• Prior academic performance
• Career progression and career goal
For more information, click here:

https://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/admissions/mba

Like last year, UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School requires only one required essay and three optional essay questions for the 2015-2016 MBA admissions cycle. There is no change in the essay questions this year. Let’s take a closer look at the essay questions.

Essay # 1 (Required)

Please describe your short and long term goals post-MBA. Explain how your professional experience has shaped these goals; why this career option appeals to you, and how you arrived at the decision that now is the time and the MBA is the appropriate degree. (500 words maximum)

This is a straightforward goals question. Through this essay question, the Admissions Committee wants to know about your post MBA goals and ambitions, both short-term and long-term. You may want to begin your essay with a story/ event/ life experience that reflects passion for your chosen field. (You may also begin directly with a discussion of your academic and then professional career). Continue your story and provide details about how you have pursued your passion, continued your education, acquired new skills and learnings and progressed along your career path in the past XXX years. Specify skills gained at each job position and how your achievements earned you a promotion (may be, ahead of your peers).

Then describe where you stand now and what are your short term and long term career aspirations. You have to describe why the particular career option seems suitable to you and how the professional experience you have had shaped up your desire to opt for an MBA degree. This means that you have to draw out a link between your previous experience, your current need of an MBA degree, and your future career goals. Answer the following questions:

• Why you believe that an MBA is the next logical step in your career path?
• What are those skills that you still lack which you hope to acquire by an MBA?
• How an MBA will fill the gaps in your career and bring you closer to the fulfillment of your goals?
• Why NOW a perfect time for you to go for an MBA degree?

Example:

"My passion for technology, my experience in corporate and business leadership and my childhood vision to be a global business leader and continue my family legacy have defined my goal and fueled my vision to lead my family business into the world of Technology and Consulting. I want to open a new division in my family business in - technology & strategy firm. Through MBA, I will equip myself with very strong fundamentals in management by developing deeper perspectives in various disciplines accountancy, marketing, operations, finance and most importantly, entrepreneurship."
Even though the essay prompt doesn’t require you to answer “Why UNC? ” it still makes perfect sense to throw in a sentence or two about why an MBA from UNC is your best bet at this time? How it will help you achieve your goals? Your reasons for this could be insights gained from alumni, curriculum, faculty, and the various opportunities outside the classroom that Kenan Flagler provides .You may wrap up your essay by stating what value you will bring to the school.

You may organize the question in the following way:

• Career history (approximately 150- 200 words)
• Current skill set & short term and long term goals (approximately 150-200 words)
• Why MBA? Why now? (100-150 words)
• Why UNC ? ( approximately 50- 75 words )

Note:

For my blog on ‘Goals Essay’ click here:

https://myessayreview.com/blogs/?p=1197

For sample ‘Goals’ essay, click here:

https://myessayreview.com/sample2.html

Essay # 2 (Optional)

What personal qualities or life experiences distinguish you from other applicants? How do these qualities or experiences equip you to contribute to UNC Kenan-Flagler? (300 words maximum)

Through this question, the Ad Com wants to know who you are as an individual and how you will add value to the UNC community. This is an interesting question that requires you to do lot of introspection to be able to discuss your personal traits and life experiences, (the people, the events) that have shaped your personality.

You have to talk about your background, your current interests and passions, your likes and dislikes, your personal traits that define you and led you to where you currently are. Drawing a link here, like in the previous question, is vital.

Here they are keen on knowing about you as a human being, as an individual, and not as an IT person etc. All of us are unique individuals with our own personal traits. Pick 2-3 personal traits that set you apart from other people (e.g. maturity, drive, motivation, self-awareness etc. .) – the traits that you would like the Admission Committee to know about you. Then go ahead and illustrate these with relevant examples. Remember without specific examples, your response will be ineffective.

After this, address the second part of the question and focus on the ways in which, you think, you will contribute to the class room and community at Kennan Flagler. You should lay down the ways in which your interests, your passions and hobbies would enrich the Kenan Flagler community and influence it in a positive manner. They will probably receive hundreds of applications from soccer players, another dozen from those who think they write poetry well. That doesn’t mean your chances are slim. It only means you’ve to show them not just that these hobbies are what define you, but also how you will be benefitting the community at Kennan Flagler through this.

Example:

"The varied challenges of the business world have taught me persistence, high spiritedness, and honesty. At Kenan-Flagler, I envision to conduct consulting projects for organizations through STAR program. I want to help small business owners build and develop their business ideas through Global Business Project program. With my culinary skills, I hope to ignite a passion for cooking in my peers and faculty and work towards creating a Chocolate and Bakery club. With my unique qualities and contributions, I will take my peers on their journey of exploration and fulfillment."

You may break it down in 2 parts:

1. What personal qualities or life experiences distinguish you from other applicants? (approximately 300- 350 words)
2. How do these qualities or experiences equip you to contribute to UNC Kenan-Flagler? (approximately 150 -200 words)

Essay # 3 (Optional)

If your standardized test scores are low, or if you have not had coursework in core business subjects (calculus, microeconomics, statistics, financial accounting), please tell us how you plan to prepare yourself for the quantitative rigor of the MBA curriculum. (300 words maximum)

This question is primarily focusing on those whose GMAT score is low and who have lacked math subjects, because the school wants to make sure that they will be able to handle academic rigor at this stage. If you need to answer this question, you can highlight the professional preparation you have already had in quantitative areas. You should also mention how you are brushing up your math knowledge even now and are prepared to do that till school commences. Be honest, do not exaggerate and show them that you are prepared for the academic rigor.

Essay # 4 (Optional)

Is there any other information you would like to share that is not presented elsewhere in the application? (300 words maximum)

You may use this essay to shine a spotlight on an experience or side of your personality that has not been revealed in the other three essays, and other parts of your application. This is another opportunity Ad Com is offering you to admit you. While someone might want to talk about his/her experiences in community service, someone else might want to share something about his/her accomplishments in extracurricular activities e.g. sports, music, or painting etc. However, if you feel that the other essays present a complete picture of your candidacy, you may skip this question.

Note:

For my Blog on optional essay https://myessayreview.com/blogs/?m=201201

For sample optional essay   https://myessayreview.com/sample4.html

Web /Blog/ Free resources/LinkedIn/ Facebook/

Email :poonam@myessayreview.com
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Does anyone know when the 2016 application is going to open online?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM

The Kenan-Flagler Business School at University of North Carolina has posted the MBA essay questions for the 2015-2016 application season. Although the questions remain unchanged from last year, essay two is no longer required.

• Essay One (Required)
    Please describe your short and long term goals post-MBA. Explain how your professional experience has shaped these goals, why this career option appeals to you, and how you arrived at the decision that now is the time and the MBA is the appropriate degree. (500 words maximum)
  • Essay Two (Optional)
    What personal qualities or life experiences distinguish you from other applicants? How do these qualities or experiences equip you to contribute to UNC Kenan-Flagler? (300 words maximum)
  • Essay Three (Optional)
    If your standardized test scores are low, or if you have not had coursework in core business subjects (calculus, microeconomics, statistics, financial accounting), please tell us how you plan to prepare yourself for the quantitative rigor of the MBA curriculum. (300 words maximum)
  • Essay Four (Optional)
    Is there any other information you would like to share that is not presented elsewhere in the application? (300 words maximum)

For more information, please visit the UNC Kenan-Flagler admissions website.
You may also be interested in:
UNC Kenan-Flagler 2015-2016 Application Deadlines

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Send PM
Just a quick update for everyone:
Orientation is winding down and we are all getting to know our classmates. We've been assigned to our respective study groups and Legacies, and classes start next week. Last night we had a social event where we got to talk to Dr. B, some of the admissions staff, and other important people in the business school.

Recruiting starts very soon - September 1 is the first company visit, and also when the resume book gets released to recruiters.

Start working on your applications soon! Deadlines creep up more quickly than you expect.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
alwayswaiting wrote:
Just a quick update for everyone:
Orientation is winding down and we are all getting to know our classmates. We've been assigned to our respective study groups and Legacies, and classes start next week. Last night we had a social event where we got to talk to Dr. B, some of the admissions staff, and other important people in the business school.

Recruiting starts very soon - September 1 is the first company visit, and also when the resume book gets released to recruiters.

Start working on your applications soon! Deadlines creep up more quickly than you expect.

Thanks for the update alwayswaiting! Keep 'em coming. It's interesting to follow along.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
AnnouncementNew Thread Master for UNC Kenan-Flagler

Hello GMAT Club - Please join me in welcoming TheFloridian as a new Thread Master for UNC Kenan-Flagler MBA Thread. We are thrilled to have him on the site and joining the Thread Master ranks. TheFloridian joined GMAT Club community in April 2014 and has since then demonstrated leadership and helpfulness in forum discussions.

If anyone has any questions about UNC school forum, deadlines, school stats, feel free to PM him. For now, welcome him and wish him best of luck as the ThreadMaster.

Best Regards,
Narenn
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  38   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts