GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Oct 2019, 22:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

False chicory's taproot is always one half as long as the plant is tal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
False chicory's taproot is always one half as long as the plant is tal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2011, 07:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (02:30) correct 41% (02:28) wrong based on 381 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

False chicory's taproot is always one half as long as the plant is tall. Furthermore, the more rain false chicory receives, the taller it tends to grow. In fact, false chicory plants that receive greater than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat always reach above-average heights for false chicory.

If the statements above are true, then which one of the following must also be true?

(A) If two false chicory plants differ in height, then it is likely that the one with the shorter taproot has received less than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat.

(B) If a false chicory plant has a longer-than average taproot, then it is likely to have received more than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat.

(C) It is not possible for a false chicory plant to receive only the average amount of rainfall of the species' usual habitat and be of above average height.

(D) If the plants in one group of false chicory are not taller than those in another group of false chicory, then the two groups must have received the same amount of rainfall.

(E) If a false chicory plant receives greater than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat, then it will have a longer taproot than that of an average-sized false chicory plant.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: False chicory's taproot is always one half as long as the plant is tal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2012, 02:21
The argument that contains many words makes the question become harder to solve. To make the argument easier. I will define the "False chicory plan" = X

=> Argument Evaluation: X's taproot = 1/2 X
Furthermore, the more rain X get, the taller X is
In fact, X that receives >2 average rainfall of usual reception is higher than the average height of X

(A) If two false chicory plants differ in height, then it is likely that the one with the shorter taproot has received less than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat. => If 2 X differ in height, then it is likely that the X1 (shorter taproot) has received less than 2 average rainfall of X
=> These matter are not mentioned in the argument.

(B) If a false chicory plant has a longer-than average taproot, then it is likely to have received more than twice the average rainfall
of the species' usual habitat.=> If X's taproot is longer than X's average taproot, then it is likely to have received more than twice the average rainfall => This was stated in the argument. If you choose this choice as the correct answer. It's a trap. This answer is the reverse form of the argument.
(C) It is not possible for a false chicory plant to receive only the average amount of rainfall of the species' usual habitat and be of above
average height. => not mentioned
(D) If the plants in one group of false chicory are not taller than those in another group of false chicory, then the two groups must have
received the same amount of rainfall. => not mentioned
(E) If a false chicory plant receives greater than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat, then it will have a longer taproot than
that of an average-sized false chicory plant. => If X receive >2 rainfall of the average X, then X will have longer than average (+ height of taproot = exactly 1/2 height of X) => the X'taproot will be higher than the average that of average X
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Re: False chicory's taproot is always one half as long as the plant is tal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2013, 22:17
I think the answer must be E and not A ...The argument uses the strong wording in the last sentence ie "ALWAYS" the the plant will grow twice the avg height, when condition of rainfall is met.
But in A the uses of word "Likely" disqualifies it to be the answer.

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archit
Manager
Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2017, 14:26
Correct answer is E. More discussion here https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... t5097.html
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 09:46
Hi,

Can someone please help me understand why option B is incorrect here?

I think option E is too unlikely to mark as the correct answer. The whole question deals with likelihood and in E we have MUST. I would always prefer to avoid such extreme options. Please suggest.

Thanks
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 20:37
Let's take a look at option B...

Quote:
(B) If a false chicory plant has a longer-than average taproot, then it is likely to have received more than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat.

We know that "False chicory's taproot is always one half as long as the plant is tall.", so if a false chicory plant has a longer-than average taproot, then it is also taller than average. We know that "false chicory plants that receive greater than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat always reach above-average heights", BUT we do not know that the reverse is true; in other words, we do not know that false chicory plants that reach above-average heights always (or even mostly) receive greater than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat.

If that is unclear, imagine there are 100 false chicory plants, and 30 of those plants receive greater than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat. According to the statements in the passage, those 30 plants MUST reach above-average heights. But that same group of 100 plants might include 50 plants that reach above-average heights even though they do NOT receive greater than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat. Thus, statement B is not necessarily true.
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 23:29
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Let's take a look at option B...

Quote:

We know that "False chicory's taproot is always one half as long as the plant is tall.", so if a false chicory plant has a longer-than average taproot, then it is also taller than average. We know that "false chicory plants that receive greater than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat always reach above-average heights", BUT we do not know that the reverse is true; in other words, we do not know that false chicory plants that reach above-average heights always (or even mostly) receive greater than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat.

If that is unclear, imagine there are 100 false chicory plants, and 30 of those plants receive greater than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat. According to the statements in the passage, those 30 plants MUST reach above-average heights. But that same group of 100 plants might include 50 plants that reach above-average heights even though they do NOT receive greater than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat. Thus, statement B is not necessarily true.

Thank you GMATNinjaTwo.

So, in that case should we consider E, even though it is too extreme/broad to consider? (It has MUST-- which makes me a bit dicey)
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 07:03
abhimahna,

Quote:
So, in that case should we consider E, even though it is too extreme/broad to consider? (It has MUST-- which makes me a bit dicey)

Let's take a look at choice E...

Quote:
(E) If a false chicory plant receives greater than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat, then it will have a longer taproot than that of an average-sized false chicory plant.

We know that "false chicory plants that receive greater than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat ALWAYS reach above-average heights". So if a false chicory plant receives greater than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat, then the plant WILL reach above-average heights; if the plant reaches above-average heights, the length of its taproot WILL also be above average (since "false chicory's taproot is ALWAYS one half as long as the plant is tall."). Thus, even though choice E sounds "extreme", it is supported by the statements in the passage.
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 15:41
vjsharma25 wrote:
False chicory's taproot is always one half as long as the plant is tall. Furthermore, the more rain false chicory receives, the taller it tends to grow. In fact, false chicory plants that receive greater than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat always reach above-average heights for false chicory.

If the statements above are true, then which one of the following must also be true?

(A) If two false chicory plants differ in height, then it is likely that the one with the shorter taproot has received less than twice the average rainfall of the species' usual habitat.

(C) It is not possible for a false chicory plant to receive only the average amount of rainfall of the species' usual habitat and be of above average height.

(D) If the plants in one group of false chicory are not taller than those in another group of false chicory, then the two groups must have received the same amount of rainfall.

Traps-traps.
Only E gives undoubtful statement
GMAT Club Bot
Re: False chicory's taproot is always one half as long as the plant is tal   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2019, 15:41

False chicory's taproot is always one half as long as the plant is tal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics