GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 04:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 May 2016
Posts: 3565
Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 10:16
5
1
35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (01:18) correct 42% (01:24) wrong based on 1647 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 4: Sentence Correction (SC1)


For SC butler Questions Click Here

Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may be as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than in a plane or on the road.

(A) may be as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than

(B) is at least as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than

(C) might be so great or greater in the “safety” of their own home as

(D) may be at least as great in the “safety” of their own homes as

(E) can be at least so great in the “safety” of their own home as


The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
The best answer or excellent answers explain concepts or provide reasons for eliminating or keeping an answer choice.

_________________
SC Butler has resumed! Get two SC questions to practice, whose links you can find by date, here.


Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it. -- Mary Oliver
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5102
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 10:50
12
Top Contributor
4
Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may be as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than in a plane or on the road.

(A) may be as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than ---idiom as great should be completed with another as --(as great as) --

(B) is at least as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than-- same error as in A.

(C) might be so great or greater in the “safety” of their own home as ---their home is wrong; It means that all of them have only one home together

(D) may be at least as great in the “safety” of their own homes as---correct choice that maintains the idiomatic 'as great as' structure. The phrase 'at least a great as' takes into account 'greater than'

(E) can be at least so great in the “safety” of their own home as ---- same error as in C
_________________
Are you stuck around 630? If you can't make out how to pole-vault over the 630-barrier, you can do so with my one-to-one lessons. (+919884544509)
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 24 Mar 2017
Posts: 149
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Re: Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 10:41
4
1
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 4: Sentence Correction (SC1)


For SC butler Questions Click Here

Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may be as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than in a plane or on the road.

(A) may be as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than as great or greater is not the correct form. at least as great is a better worded option.

(B) is at least as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than Same as A

(C) might be so great or greater in the “safety” of their own home as Same as A

(D) may be at least as great in the “safety” of their own homes as Correct choice

(E) can be at least so great in the “safety” of their own home as as great as correct idiom not so great as.


The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
The best answer or excellent answers explain concepts or provide reasons for eliminating or keeping an answer choice.


+1 for D for above stated reason.
_________________
Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 367
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 20:08
1
Quote:
Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may be as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than in a plane or on the road.


IMO D.

Quote:
(A) may be as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than
"As great as" is the correct idiom. Incorrect



Quote:
(B) is at least as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than
"As great as" is the correct idiom. Incorrect


Quote:
(C) might be so great or greater in the “safety” of their own home as
"As great as" is the correct idiom. Incorrect


Quote:
(D) may be at least as great in the “safety” of their own homes as
"As great as" is the correct idiom. This is correct


Quote:
(E) can be at least so great in the “safety” of their own home as
"As great as" is the correct idiom. Incorrect

_________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Mar 2018
Posts: 246
CAT Tests
Re: Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 09:33
generis
I was able to reject A,B and C because of idiom error
Left with D and E I find D better
But why is E wrong what's the error?
daagh sir can you please brief why E is wrong
I read your explaination but haven't understand
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5102
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 10:09
Top Contributor
teaserbae

When many are involved, we have to say their 'homes' rather than 'home.'
_________________
Are you stuck around 630? If you can't make out how to pole-vault over the 630-barrier, you can do so with my one-to-one lessons. (+919884544509)
Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4774
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 11:26
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 4: Sentence Correction (SC1)


For SC butler Questions Click Here

Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may be as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than in a plane or on the road.

(A) may be as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than

(B) is at least as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than

(C) might be so great or greater in the “safety” of their own home as

(D) may be at least as great in the “safety” of their own homes as

(E) can be at least so great in the “safety” of their own home as


The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
The best answer or excellent answers explain concepts or provide reasons for eliminating or keeping an answer choice.


As X, as Y is correct idiomatic usage, correct Answer must hence be (D)
_________________
Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Senior SC Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 May 2016
Posts: 3565
Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 02:40
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 4: Sentence Correction (SC1)


For SC butler Questions Click Here

Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may be as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than in a plane or on the road.

(A) may be as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than

(B) is at least as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than

(C) might be so great or greater in the “safety” of their own home as

(D) may be at least as great in the “safety” of their own homes as

(E) can be at least so great in the “safety” of their own home as


The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
The best answer or excellent answers explain concepts or provide reasons for eliminating or keeping an answer choice.

Official Explanation
Comments in blue are mine.

• In choices A and B, as great or greater . . . than is incorrect:
-- greater takes than, but
-- as great must be completed by as

• The statement in B is also redundant in that the notion of greater is contained in at least as great,
and may be would be better than is for expressing a distinct possibility.

As a matter of strategy, eliminate B because the heavily tested
comparison idiom is wrong in exactly the same way as we just witnessed in (A).


• In choice C, might expresses too much doubt
so in place of as is unidiomatic
home should be homes to agree with people
and greater . . . . as is erroneous

• Choice D is best.

• In choice E, so and home are faulty.


CORRECT IDIOMS are
• as great as
• greater than


Best replies:
arun6765 , warrior1991 , and daagh

Kudos to all.

_________________
SC Butler has resumed! Get two SC questions to practice, whose links you can find by date, here.


Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it. -- Mary Oliver
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 149
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 20:36
i have a doubt here. in opted option B, as i thought 'chance' and 'may be ' would lead to redundancy . i came across one question where one option was rejected as it had 'possibility' and 'may be'. could anyone clarify this doubt.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 17 Apr 2018
Posts: 109
Re: Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 05:09
(A) may be as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than

(B) is at least as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than

(C) might be so great or greater in the “safety” of their own home as

(D) may be at least as great in the “safety” of their own homes as

(E) can be at least so great in the “safety” of their own home as

A - correct idiom is "as .. as", in this sentence "as... than", which is incorrect
B - Incorrect idiom usage "as... than"
C - distort the meaning with the usage of so..as, wordy --> so great or greater
E - Same as C

Hence, D is the answer.
Senior SC Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 May 2016
Posts: 3565
Re: Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 20:05
Quote:
Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may be as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than in a plane or on the road.

(B) is at least as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than

brs1cob wrote:
i have a doubt here. in opted option B, as i thought 'chance' and 'may be ' would lead to redundancy . i came across one question where one option was rejected as it had 'possibility' and 'may be'. could anyone clarify this doubt.


brs1cob , sorry, I missed your question.

In this case, the words "chance" and "may be" are complementary; they fit together better than "chance" and "is."
This question discusses a noun, "chance of accidental injury."
The odds of getting hurt at home are a distinct possibility.
May = a distinct possibility.
It's okay to use follow up words that are consistent with the tone and logic of earlier parts.

Weather forecaster: There is a good chance of a heat wave. Temperatures may break 100° F for the next few days.

Did you see something such as the sentence here, MAYBE?? Or here?

I would have to see the sentence that you mention or a similar sentence.
Redundancy is context-dependent, except in certain areas.
"Close proximity"
"To such a great degree"
"Recommended that he should . . . [recommended implies "should"]"

In this case, both "chance" and "may" are speculative. The words are consistent, not redundant.

If you can find an example of the sentence and the rule you saw, your question will be easier to answer. :)
_________________
SC Butler has resumed! Get two SC questions to practice, whose links you can find by date, here.


Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it. -- Mary Oliver
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 04 Dec 2017
Posts: 93
Location: India
Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V33
GMAT 2: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2019, 06:52
Meaning: Only few people realise that the chance of accidental injury or death is atleast as great in their safe homes as in a plane or on the road.

Error:
1) idiom error: as great as is correct usage of idiom

Answer: D
SC Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT - Pulling Quant and Verbal together
Joined: 04 Sep 2017
Posts: 237
Location: United States (OH)
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Re: Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 12:13
1
generis wrote:
generis wrote:

(B) is at least as great or greater in the “safety” of their own homes than

Official Explanation
Comments in blue are mine.

• In choices A and B, as great or greater . . . than is incorrect:
-- greater takes than, but
-- as great must be completed by as

• The statement in B is also redundant in that the notion of greater is contained in at least as great,
and may be would be better than is for expressing a distinct possibility.

The person who wrote this explanation must have had a miserable time with inequalities.
Since when did "equal to" logically entail "greater than"?
I am splitting hairs, but turnabout is fair play.
Sometimes OEs are great and sometimes they are not. We're tilting to the right side of that sentence here.
Ignore this part of the explanation. Eliminate B because "as great" requires "as," NOT "than"


generis , With all due respect, I beg to differ with your critique of the OE :)

For answer choice (B), Redundancy is in fact a great way to eliminate (B).

"is at least as great" is the same as saying "greater than or equal to." Therefore, "is at least as great or greater" is redundant. There is no need to say "or greater." It is already implied that it may be greater.

I hope this makes sense.
_________________
Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags
Senior SC Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 May 2016
Posts: 3565
Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 19:52
3
1
MikeScarn wrote:
generis wrote:
generis wrote:
[As a matter of strategy] Eliminate B because "as great" requires "as," NOT "than" [and not because the language is redundant][/color]

generis , With all due respect, I beg to differ with your critique of the OE :)

For answer choice (B), Redundancy is in fact a great way to eliminate (B).

"is at least as great" is the same as saying "greater than or equal to." Therefore, "is at least as great or greater" is redundant. There is no need to say "or greater." It is already implied that it may be greater.

I hope this makes sense.

MikeScarn , you make complete sense.
I agree with your substantive comment.
I'll remove some of the language.
I was not careful. I should have been. More than 70% of my posts are in PS.

But I do not agree with what seems to be your advice about strategy.
I do not agree that redundancy is as "great" a way to eliminate (B)
as is an error in a heavily tested idiom. That same error showed up in (A).

As a matter of strategy in elimination,
I do not privilege redundancy over glaring error in idioms of comparison.

Redundancy is a legitimate error.
In this and many other questions, my experience tells me that redundancy is not as easy to decide
as other kinds of errors.

If you want to eliminate on the basis of what you are certain is redundancy
rather than on the basis of a botched idiom of comparison? Okay.

I do not recommend the approach.
I use redundancy when I am down to two options, just before I look at matters of style such as concision.
As a professional editor, I strike redundant phrases immediately.
On the GMAT, I wait.

Why? Strategy. GMAC throws curve balls.

Many people believe that and also is always redundant on the GMAT.

Most of the time, and also is redundant. Many OEs mention that fact.
If I recall correctly, though, if and also is in options, those options can be eliminated for a different reason,
Sometimes the OE writer does not mention that reason.

An official question from GMAT Prep that involves and also is HERE.
That question epitomizes the reason that I wait before I deploy redundancy in analysis.

Spoiler alert: part of the reason for a correct answer is revealed
and also is not redundant in this question; the phrase is part of the correct answer.
And also can be used for emphasis. The phrase can also be used when one subject plays two roles or does two things that cannot
be done simultaneously. Correct: Last week, Mary mowed her law and also repaired her roof.


Thanks for the heads up. +1. I disagree with your strategic approach,
but I appreciate the fact that you posted. :)
_________________
SC Butler has resumed! Get two SC questions to practice, whose links you can find by date, here.


Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it. -- Mary Oliver
SC Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT - Pulling Quant and Verbal together
Joined: 04 Sep 2017
Posts: 237
Location: United States (OH)
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Re: Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 20:31
generis wrote:
MikeScarn , you make complete sense.
I agree with your substantive comment.
I'll remove some of the language.
I was not careful. I should have been. More than 70% of my posts are in PS.

But I do not agree with what seems to be your advice about strategy.
I do not agree that redundancy is as "great" a way to eliminate (B)
as is an error in a heavily tested idiom. That same error showed up in (A).

As a matter of strategy in elimination,
I do not privilege redundancy over glaring error in idioms of comparison.

Redundancy is a legitimate error.
In this and many other questions, my experience tells me that redundancy is not as easy to decide
as other kinds of errors.

If you want to eliminate on the basis of what you are certain is redundancy
over a botched idiom of comparison? Okay.

I do not recommend the approach.
I use redundancy when I am down to two options, before I look at matters of style such as concision.
As a professional editor, I strike redundant phrases immediately.
On the GMAT, I wait.

Why? Strategy. GMAC throws curve balls.

Many people believe that and also is always redundant on the GMAT.

Most of the time, and also is redundant. Many OEs mention that fact.
If I recall correctly, though, if and also is in options, those options can be eliminated for a different reason,
Sometimes the OE writer does not mention that reason.

An official question from GMAT Prep that involves and also is HERE.
That question epitomizes the reason that I wait before I deploy redundancy in analysis.

Spoiler alert: part of the reason for a correct answer is revealed
and also is not redundant in this question; the phrase is part of the correct answer.
And also can be used for emphasis. The phrase can also be used when one subject plays two roles or does two things that cannot
be done simultaneously. Correct: Last week, Mary mowed her law and also repaired her roof.


Thanks for the heads up. +1. I disagree with your strategic approach,
but I appreciate the fact that you posted. :)


Haha, woah. No disrespect was intended, my friend! I'm sure you're way better at this dang test than I'll ever be.

I never said it was my strategy to detect redundancy first and I wasn't implying redundancy was a better way to eliminate an answer choice. Who cares if we eliminate an answer choice off of one error instead of another?

Like you, I immediately found the correct answer choice because I happened to know the "as great as" idiom. But my brain also detected the redundancy in (B), so I eliminated that answer choice with great confidence.

In SC, we just want to eliminate answer choices by the errors that we are training ourselves to detect. If you know the idiom? Great. If you see the parallelism? Great.

Kindest Regards,
Mike
_________________
Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 5931
Re: Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2019, 05:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2019, 05:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Few people realize that the chance of accidental injury or death may

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne