Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4557 [43]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4557 [12]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [4]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
4SL wrote:
please comment why D is an answer, according to me answer should be C

Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original material—unstable, deteriorating nitrate film—to stable acetate film. But this is a time-consuming, expensive process, and there is no way to transfer all currently deteriorating nitrate films to acetate before they disintegrate. So some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be preserved.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

Conclusion:some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be preserved.

Prethink: if some films have already been preserved from their original form in some form which does not disintegrate as original form
Assumption: NO film from the earliest state exist in original form

(C) Not many films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate.
Not many: fEW
Negate C: NO films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate.
Conclusion does not falls

(D) Some films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in their original material.
Negate D: NO films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in their original material.
Conclusion falls
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original [#permalink]
4SL wrote:

I had the similar issue but try negating choices C & D and then see whether the assumption breaks with the negation
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Wonderwoman31 wrote:
4SL wrote:

I had the similar issue but try negating choices C & D and then see whether the assumption breaks with the negation

(C) Not many films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate.
Not many: fEW
Negate C: NO films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate.
Conclusion does not falls

(D) Some films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in their original material.
Negate D: NO films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in their original material.
Conclusion falls
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original [#permalink]
Akela wrote:
Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original material—unstable, deteriorating nitrate film—to stable acetate film. But this is a time-consuming, expensive process, and there is no way to transfer all currently deteriorating nitrate films to acetate before they disintegrate. So some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be preserved.

(A) No new technology for transferring old movies from nitrate film to acetate film will ever be developed.
(B) Transferring films from nitrate to acetate is not the least expensive way of preserving them.
(E) The least popular films from the earliest years of Hollywood are the ones most likely to be lost.

EASY question for 700 level. TIME time taken 2.41 sec.

(A) No new technology for transferring old movies from nitrate film to acetate film will ever be developed. (not mentioned )
(B) Transferring films from nitrate to acetate is not the least expensive way of preserving them. (FALSE )
(C) Not many films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate. ( definately cant assume this. i dont know, nowhere is given even the slightest hint)
(D) Some films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in their original material. ( TRUE. there is ongoing process based on this info "So some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be preserved." )
(E) The least popular films from the earliest years of Hollywood are the ones most likely to be lost. ( out of scope - not mentioned)

LSAT QUESTIONS ARE EASIER ACTUALLY THAN GMAT CR I THINK :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original [#permalink]
Kudos
4SL wrote:

hi 4SL

how can you be sure that "Not many films" maybe many films have been transferred? or maybe just a couple of films

you dont have this information to assume safely. hence C out of scope.

Also unlike other posters i never use negation techinique. Just imagine real life situtation you are talking to someone say arguing with somone... and you say to your opponent hey let me negate your statement :lol: Just read. understand. and based on info provided assume. :grin:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM

(A) No new technology for transferring old movies from nitrate film to acetate film will ever be developed. --- Not needed
B) Transferring films from nitrate to acetate is not the least expensive way of preserving them. --- Not needed
(C) Not many films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate. -- Negated statement won't break conclusion
(D) Some films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in their original material. -- Correct choice
(E) The least popular films from the earliest years of Hollywood are the ones most likely to be lost. --- Out of scope
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 324
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47 (Online)
GPA: 3.9
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Only negation of D provides with a weakening argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [1]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Akela wrote:

(A) No new technology for transferring old movies from nitrate film to acetate film will ever be developed.
(B) Transferring films from nitrate to acetate is not the least expensive way of preserving them.
(E) The least popular films from the earliest years of Hollywood are the ones most likely to be lost.

Done in 1:21 ...
Are GMAT questions tougher?
I have felt the GMAT questions are tougher

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
I am pretty sure that D is the right answer.

B can be discarded for being irrelevant. E can also be discarded for being out of scope, as can A. This leaves us with just C and D.

The conclusion here is that some films from the earliest years of Hollywood won’t be preserved. If we negate C, we get “No films from the earliest years of Hollywood have been transferred to acetate”. The conclusion still stands here, because if no films have been preserved on the stable, non-disintegrating medium and there is no way to transfer all of the films that are currently on the unstable medium (nitrate), before they disintegrate then some of them will be lost.

So, by PoE, D is the right answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
GMATNinja...
I have no doubt about D being the right choice. However on a different note when I negate statement C....shouldn't "Not Many" start as "Many"?
Please shed your thoughts..
Thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63654 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Debashis Roy wrote:
GMATNinja...
I have no doubt about D being the right choice. However on a different note when I negate statement C....shouldn't "Not Many" start as "Many"?
Thanks

Another way to think about (C) is just to apply the answer choice as it is written to the conclusion of the argument.

The author concludes that "some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be preserved," because "there is no way to transfer all currently deteriorating nitrate films to acetate before they disintegrate."

Now, here's answer choice (C):
Quote:

Does it matter how many films have already been transferred to acetate for the author to reach his/her conclusion? Whether a whole bunch of films have already been transferred or none at all, the fact remains that "there is no way to transfer all currently deteriorating nitrate films to acetate before they disintegrate." The author can reach his/her conclusion whether or not answer choice (C) is true, so it is not an assumption on which the argument depends.

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
Answer for this as (D) seems like an answer for an inference question. Is it safe to go for assumption question also? AndrewN
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
lakshya14 wrote:
Answer for this as (D) seems like an answer for an inference question. Is it safe to go for assumption question also? AndrewN

There's a key difference between assumption and inference questions.

The former MUST BE TRUE for the LOGIC of the passage to work. Inferences are about extracting an idea from the passage. So long as that distinction is kept in mind, I suppose one can think of the answers to assumption questions using an inference.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
CEdward wrote:
lakshya14 wrote:

There's a key difference between assumption and inference questions.

The former MUST BE TRUE for the LOGIC of the passage to work. Inferences are about extracting an idea from the passage. So long as that distinction is kept in mind, I suppose one can think of the answers to assumption questions using an inference.

I am aware of the difference between inference and assumptions question, but is the answer for this question seems suitable for inference and not for assumption as the question asks for?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Debashis Roy wrote:
GMATNinja...
Thanks

Another way to think about (C) is just to apply the answer choice as it is written to the conclusion of the argument.

The author concludes that "some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be preserved," because "there is no way to transfer all currently deteriorating nitrate films to acetate before they disintegrate."

Quote:

Does it matter how many films have already been transferred to acetate for the author to reach his/her conclusion? Whether a whole bunch of films have already been transferred or none at all, the fact remains that "there is no way to transfer all currently deteriorating nitrate films to acetate before they disintegrate." The author can reach his/her conclusion whether or not answer choice (C) is true, so it is not an assumption on which the argument depends.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja

after reading your response, what i understood you are trying to say is we are concerned about ' currently deteriorating' films.and not all films, hence answer choice C is not an assumption.

with the same logic, how then choice D is correct. Can you share your reasoning in detail for every answer choice.

Thanks in advance
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
gmatassassin88 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Debashis Roy wrote:
GMATNinja...
Thanks

Quote:

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja

after reading your response, what i understood you are trying to say is we are concerned about ' currently deteriorating' films.and not all films, hence answer choice C is not an assumption.

with the same logic, how then choice D is correct. Can you share your reasoning in detail for every answer choice.

Thanks in advance

You can't put same logic for D just like that.
The content/context in D is more a NECESSARY(must be) condition than OPEN one as is the case with C. In C it CAN be true or it MAY not.
Whatever it is we need to see whether some of the earliest films, in their original form/material, are still going to be left out that would support the conclusion.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
lakshya14 wrote:

Great question.

Inference question correct answers and Assumption question correct answers are related. Inference question correct answers must be true if the statements in the passage are true, and Assumption question answers must be true in order for the conclusion of the argument to follow from the evidence.

So, it's not surprising that the correct answer to this Assumption question seems to be an inference that can be drawn from what the passage says.

Regarding whether choice (D) is an assumption upon which the argument relies and, thus, is the correct answer, it is. In order for the conclusion to follow from the premises, it must be the case that at least some of the earliest films exist solely in their original, less stable, material. After all, if none of the earliest films have yet to be transferred, then the conclusion is not correct.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts