Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 14:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
avatar
V
Joined: 30 Jan 2016
Posts: 1128
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 08:31
2
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:50) correct 53% (01:50) wrong based on 394 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original material—unstable, deteriorating nitrate film—to stable acetate film. But this is a time-consuming, expensive process, and there is no way to transfer all currently deteriorating nitrate films to acetate before they disintegrate. So some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be preserved.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) No new technology for transferring old movies from nitrate film to acetate film will ever be developed.
(B) Transferring films from nitrate to acetate is not the least expensive way of preserving them.
(C) Not many films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate.
(D) Some films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in their original material.
(E) The least popular films from the earliest years of Hollywood are the ones most likely to be lost.

_________________
Non progredi est regredi
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Oct 2016
Posts: 19
Re: Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 09:42
please comment why D is an answer, according to me answer should be C
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Aug 2018
Posts: 227
Re: Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 10:40
2
4SL wrote:
please comment why D is an answer, according to me answer should be C



Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original material—unstable, deteriorating nitrate film—to stable acetate film. But this is a time-consuming, expensive process, and there is no way to transfer all currently deteriorating nitrate films to acetate before they disintegrate. So some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be preserved.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

Conclusion:some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be preserved.

Prethink: if some films have already been preserved from their original form in some form which does not disintegrate as original form
Assumption: NO film from the earliest state exist in original form

(C) Not many films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate.
Not many: fEW
Negate C: NO films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate.
Conclusion does not falls

(D) Some films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in their original material.
Negate D: NO films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in their original material.
Conclusion falls
_________________
"Press +1 KUDOS"

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Apr 2018
Posts: 76
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Re: Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 10:42
4SL wrote:
please comment why D is an answer, according to me answer should be C


I had the similar issue but try negating choices C & D and then see whether the assumption breaks with the negation
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Aug 2018
Posts: 227
Re: Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 10:46
Wonderwoman31 wrote:
4SL wrote:
please comment why D is an answer, according to me answer should be C


I had the similar issue but try negating choices C & D and then see whether the assumption breaks with the negation


(C) Not many films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate.
Not many: fEW
Negate C: NO films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate.
Conclusion does not falls

(D) Some films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in their original material.
Negate D: NO films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in their original material.
Conclusion falls
_________________
"Press +1 KUDOS"

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1273
Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2018, 11:33
Akela wrote:
Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original material—unstable, deteriorating nitrate film—to stable acetate film. But this is a time-consuming, expensive process, and there is no way to transfer all currently deteriorating nitrate films to acetate before they disintegrate. So some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be preserved.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) No new technology for transferring old movies from nitrate film to acetate film will ever be developed.
(B) Transferring films from nitrate to acetate is not the least expensive way of preserving them.
(C) Not many films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate.
(D) Some films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in their original material.
(E) The least popular films from the earliest years of Hollywood are the ones most likely to be lost.


EASY question for 700 level. TIME time taken 2.41 sec.

(A) No new technology for transferring old movies from nitrate film to acetate film will ever be developed. (not mentioned )
(B) Transferring films from nitrate to acetate is not the least expensive way of preserving them. (FALSE )
(C) Not many films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate. ( definately cant assume this. i dont know, nowhere is given even the slightest hint)
(D) Some films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in their original material. ( TRUE. there is ongoing process based on this info "So some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be preserved." )
(E) The least popular films from the earliest years of Hollywood are the ones most likely to be lost. ( out of scope - not mentioned)


LSAT QUESTIONS ARE EASIER ACTUALLY THAN GMAT CR I THINK :)
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1273
Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2018, 11:44
1
4SL wrote:
please comment why D is an answer, according to me answer should be C



hi 4SL


how can you be sure that "Not many films" maybe many films have been transferred? or maybe just a couple of films

you dont have this information to assume safely. hence C out of scope.

Also unlike other posters i never use negation techinique. Just imagine real life situtation you are talking to someone say arguing with somone... and you say to your opponent hey let me negate your statement :lol: Just read. understand. and based on info provided assume. :grin:

(C) Not many films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Jan 2015
Posts: 40
Re: Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 05:44
Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original material—unstable, deteriorating nitrate film—to stable acetate film. But this is a time-consuming, expensive process, and there is no way to transfer all currently deteriorating nitrate films to acetate before they disintegrate. So some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be preserved.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) No new technology for transferring old movies from nitrate film to acetate film will ever be developed. --- Not needed
B) Transferring films from nitrate to acetate is not the least expensive way of preserving them. --- Not needed
(C) Not many films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate. -- Negated statement won't break conclusion
(D) Some films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in their original material. -- Correct choice
(E) The least popular films from the earliest years of Hollywood are the ones most likely to be lost. --- Out of scope
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2016
Posts: 21
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 11:32
Only negation of D provides with a weakening argument.
VP
VP
avatar
V
Joined: 30 Jan 2016
Posts: 1128
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 10:41
Complete Question Explanation

Assumption. The correct answer choice is (D)

The stimulus contains the following structure:

Premise: Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original,
deteriorating nitrate film to stable acetate film, which is a time-consuming and
expensive process.

Sub. Concl.: There is no way to transfer all currently deteriorating nitrate films to acetate
before they disintegrate.

Conclusion: Some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be preserved.

Take a closer look at the conclusion: “some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not
be preserved.” All we know from the premises is that some deteriorating nitrate films will not be
preserved: that alone does not mean that some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be
preserved. What if all of them have already been transferred to acetate? And even if they have not,
there is no reason to suspect that these films in particular will be the ones that never get transferred
to acetate.

Because this is an assumption question, the answer you select must contain a statement upon which
the argument depends, i.e. a statement that is necessary for the conclusion to be true. Typically, if
you see a new or “rogue” element in the conclusion, look for a Supporter assumption answer that
links the new element back to the premises. Since “films from the earliest years of Hollywood” did
not appear anywhere else in the argument, the Supporter assumption must state that at least some
films from the earliest years of Hollywood still exist in their original material (and are therefore
deteriorating). This prephrase reveals answer choice (D) to be correct.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice may seem attractive, because it supports the idea that some
currently deteriorating nitrate films will never be preserved. To double-check if this is an assumption,
apply the Assumption Negation Technique—logically negate the answer and ask yourself if the
following statement would undermine the argument:

A new technology for transferring old movies from nitrate film to acetate film
will be developed at some point in the future.

Even if a new technology for transferring old movies to acetate is invented in the future, it is still
possible that some films from the earliest years of Hollywood are irrevocably lost. Recall the
author’s assertion that “there is no way to transfer all currently deteriorating nitrate films to acetate
before they disintegrate.” Clearly, unless the new technology is developed and implemented in
the immediate future, there is a significant risk that the films currently deteriorating will have
disintegrated by the time the new technology becomes viable.

Since the logical opposite of answer choice (A) does not weaken the conclusion, this is not an
assumption upon which the argument depends.

Savvy test takers would eliminate answer choice (A) immediately, because it does not make any
mention of the rogue element in the conclusion (“films from the earliest years of Hollywood”).
Given that Supporters connect new elements, one would suspect that the correct answer would
include this element.

Answer choice (B): The author never discussed the cost of film preservation, and no assumption was
made regarding the relative cost of transferring films from nitrate to acetate. Because an assumption
is something the author believed when forming the argument, correct assumption answers cannot
contain extraneous information. This answer choice can also be eliminated because it does not make
any mention of the rogue element in the conclusion.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice may seem attractive because it strengthens the conclusion of
the argument. Indeed, if only a few films from the earliest years of Hollywood have been transferred
to acetate, it is even more likely that time will run out before we can transfer the rest. However, just
because a statement supports the conclusion does not mean it is necessary for the conclusion to
be true. Apply the Assumption Negation Technique—drop the negative term (“not many”) and ask
yourself, “What would the author say to this negation?”

Many films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been
transferred to acetate.

The author would reply that “many” does not mean “all,” and that a sufficiently high number of nontransferred
films can still disintegrate before they are preserved. Since the logical opposite of answer
choice (C) does not weaken the conclusion, this is not an assumption upon which the argument
depends.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice, as it is consistent with our prephrase of the
Supporter Assumption. Consider the author’s conclusion that “some films from the earliest years
of Hollywood will not be preserved.” Clearly, her conclusion depends on the idea that at least some
films from the earliest years of Hollywood have not yet been transferred from nitrate to acetate, and
therefore exist solely in their original material.

If this answer is troubling you, use the Assumption Negation Technique and ask yourself if the
following statement would undermine the argument:

None of films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in
their original material.

This clearly shows that the author’s concerns are unfounded, since no films from the earliest years of
Hollywood would be in danger of disintegrating. Because the logical opposite of answer choice (D)
attacks the argument, this must be the correct answer.

Remember—when an Assumption answer choice starts with a phrase such as “at least one” or
“some,” chances are high that the answer will be correct. Although you should not immediately
assume that it is, use the proper negation (“none”) to check it by using the Assumption Negation
Technique.

Answer choice (E): The author makes no statement regarding the kind of films that are the most likely to disintegrate. Therefore, there is no way to determine if an assumption has been made associating the relative popularity of these films with their likelihood of being lost.

In general, avoid answers to Assumption questions containing phrases such as “most” and “least.” An
assumption can be considered a “minimalist” answer, and cannot contain exaggerations or elements
that are extraneous to the argument.
_________________
Non progredi est regredi
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Jul 2017
Posts: 181
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34
CAT Tests
Re: Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 03:37
Akela wrote:
Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original material—unstable, deteriorating nitrate film—to stable acetate film. But this is a time-consuming, expensive process, and there is no way to transfer all currently deteriorating nitrate films to acetate before they disintegrate. So some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be preserved.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) No new technology for transferring old movies from nitrate film to acetate film will ever be developed.
(B) Transferring films from nitrate to acetate is not the least expensive way of preserving them.
(C) Not many films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate.
(D) Some films from the earliest years of Hollywood currently exist solely in their original material.
(E) The least popular films from the earliest years of Hollywood are the ones most likely to be lost.



Done in 1:21 ...
Are GMAT questions tougher?
I have felt the GMAT questions are tougher

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Oct 2018
Posts: 46
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.9
Reviews Badge
Re: Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 02:12
I am pretty sure that D is the right answer.

B can be discarded for being irrelevant. E can also be discarded for being out of scope, as can A. This leaves us with just C and D.

The conclusion here is that some films from the earliest years of Hollywood won’t be preserved. If we negate C, we get “No films from the earliest years of Hollywood have been transferred to acetate”. The conclusion still stands here, because if no films have been preserved on the stable, non-disintegrating medium and there is no way to transfer all of the films that are currently on the unstable medium (nitrate), before they disintegrate then some of them will be lost.



So, by PoE, D is the right answer.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Aug 2017
Posts: 120
Re: Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 03:20
GMATNinja...
I have no doubt about D being the right choice. However on a different note when I negate statement C....shouldn't "Not Many" start as "Many"?
Please shed your thoughts..
Thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2669
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 01:17
Debashis Roy wrote:
GMATNinja...
I have no doubt about D being the right choice. However on a different note when I negate statement C....shouldn't "Not Many" start as "Many"?
Please shed your thoughts..
Thanks

Another way to think about (C) is just to apply the answer choice as it is written to the conclusion of the argument.

The author concludes that "some films from the earliest years of Hollywood will not be preserved," because "there is no way to transfer all currently deteriorating nitrate films to acetate before they disintegrate."

Now, here's answer choice (C):
Quote:
(C) Not many films from the earliest years of Hollywood have already been transferred to acetate.

Does it matter how many films have already been transferred to acetate for the author to reach his/her conclusion? Whether a whole bunch of films have already been transferred or none at all, the fact remains that "there is no way to transfer all currently deteriorating nitrate films to acetate before they disintegrate." The author can reach his/her conclusion whether or not answer choice (C) is true, so it is not an assumption on which the argument depends.

I hope that helps!
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2019, 01:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Film preservation requires transferring old movies from their original

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne