Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Re: Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been politically [#permalink]
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:

Dear AndrewN,
thanks for your suggestion.

AndrewN wrote:

(B) an ambitious plan [intended] to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish and
a series of smaller steps intended to protect the fish

(C) an ambitious plan for protecting wild salmon and other endangered fish and
a series of smaller steps, intending to protect the fish

Between the two options, (C) presents too many warning signals. (B) is much clearer and presents the ideas for the two plans in just about the same mold (nearly verbatim).

I hope that helps. Remember that grammatical conventions usually have kinks or exceptions somewhere. It is not that the -ing phrase in (C) could not work, but in SC questions, you are tasked with finding the best answer of the bunch, and for reasons I have drawn attention to above, I would shy away from (C).

Thank you for thinking to ask me about the question.

- Andrew

as for this explanation, it is novel for me, for example , consider first part "[i]an ambitious plan [color=#00a651]" omits "[intended]", because I usually will consider what second part, instead of the first part, omits when encounter comparison or pallelism questions,
and I am afraid it is hard for me to think in this way. I think I am not master on this way, and thus probably put your way aside first.

I just cannot figure out why following is not correct, as C says,
the intention of small steps is also to protect fish.
the v-ing modifier modifies the preceding clause that they instead propose small steps. why they instead proposed small steps, because they want to protect fish.

please help.

By no means do you have to approach a question in the same manner as I do to arrive at the correct answer. There are quite often multiple ways of attacking the same underlined portion. Have you read earlier responses, particularly those by Experts, on choice (C)? When multiple Expert voices arrive at the conclusion that (C) is a suboptimal way of expressing the meaning of the sentence, then I hope that at least one of those posts resonates with your own reasoning. Remember, you are not looking for any answer to work within an SC question; you are looking for the best answer of the five that are given, the one that expresses the essential information in the clearest and most concise way.

Please let me know if you have further questions about (C) after reading through earlier posts. (Or you can tell me that one of those posts made sense, and that would please me, too.)

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Re: Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been politically [#permalink]
AndrewN wrote:
By no means do you have to approach a question in the same manner as I do to arrive at the correct answer. There are quite often multiple ways of attacking the same underlined portion. Have you read earlier responses, particularly those by Experts, on choice (C)? When multiple Expert voices arrive at the conclusion that (C) is a suboptimal way of expressing the meaning of the sentence, then I hope that at least one of those posts resonates with your own reasoning. Remember, you are not looking for any answer to work within an SC question; you are looking for the best answer of the five that are given, the one that expresses the essential information in the clearest and most concise way.

Please let me know if you have further questions about (C) after reading through earlier posts. (Or you can tell me that one of those posts made sense, and that would please me, too.)

- Andrew

hi AndrewN, thanks a lot

I read the whole thread, and I still cannot understand why it is not reasonable as C states.

Would you please point?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
hi AndrewN, thanks a lot

I read the whole thread, and I still cannot understand why it is not reasonable as C states.

Would you please point?

I have a minor point to make about (C) that has not yet been brought up. In addition to the lack of parallelism I pointed out earlier—what I see as a major structural problem—there is also a slightly "off" placement of instead in (C). The sentence:

(C) Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been politically charged in the Pacific Northwest, politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan for protecting wild salmon and other endangered fish, and instead they proposed a series of smaller steps, intending to protect the fish.

At the beginning of a standalone clause, to add emphasis, you might place instead in the beginning like this, but in a compound sentence, you would expect to see it come after the subject and follow proposed: they proposed instead. To be clear, I would NOT use this as an elimination point, but it is not ideal. I like to say that when the doubts start piling up against an answer, it is probably a safer bet to cut that one off and seek a better alternative. If you want to cling to (C), I suppose I cannot disabuse you of its merits; however, I would like to turn the tables and ask just what you think (B) is lacking that (C) does better? Remember, the goal is not to find any sentence that could work, and especially not one that sounds okay, but to select the best of the five options presented. So I ask again, when it comes to the key differences between (B) and (C), which I will highlight below, what does (C) achieve in the way of clarity of meaning that (B) does not?

Quote:
B. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, proposing instead a series of smaller steps intended [to protect the fish].

C. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan for protecting wild salmon and other endangered fish, and instead they proposed a series of smaller steps, intending [to protect the fish].

- Andrew
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
hi AndrewN, thanks a lot

Would you please point?

I have a minor point to make about (C) that has not yet been brought up. In addition to the lack of parallelism I pointed out earlier—what I see as a major structural problem—there is also a slightly "off" placement of instead in (C). The sentence:

(C) Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been politically charged in the Pacific Northwest, politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan for protecting wild salmon and other endangered fish, and instead they proposed a series of smaller steps, intending to protect the fish.

At the beginning of a standalone clause, to add emphasis, you might place instead in the beginning like this, but in a compound sentence, you would expect to see it come after the subject and follow proposed: they proposed instead. To be clear, I would NOT use this as an elimination point, but it is not ideal. I like to say that when the doubts start piling up against an answer, it is probably a safer bet to cut that one off and seek a better alternative. If you want to cling to (C), I suppose I cannot disabuse you of its merits; however, I would like to turn the tables and ask just what you think (B) is lacking that (C) does better? Remember, the goal is not to find any sentence that could work, and especially not one that sounds okay, but to select the best of the five options presented. So I ask again, when it comes to the key differences between (B) and (C), which I will highlight below, what does (C) achieve in the way of clarity of meaning that (B) does not?

Quote:
B. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, proposing instead a series of smaller steps intended [to protect the fish].

C. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan for protecting wild salmon and other endangered fish, and instead they proposed a series of smaller steps, intending [to protect the fish].

- Andrew

Hi Sir AndrewN

Can I also mark B over C because of following 2 reasons:

Quote:
1. Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been politically charged in the Pacific Northwest, politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend to protect the fish.

B. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, proposing instead a series of smaller steps intended

C. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan for protecting wild salmon and other endangered fish, and instead they proposed a series of smaller steps, intending

1. Verb+ing Modifier: proposing vs intending
B. Politicians decided something (cause) with the intention of proposing something (result effect)
C. Politician decided and they proposed with the result of intending to protect the fish?
Politicians decided and proposed with the result of intending something? Little skeptical in choosing this option
B makes more sense with overall meaning

2. Verb-ed Modifier (intended )
B says: intended correctly modifies series of small steps; make more sense
C says: no modifier for series of small steps
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Hi Sir AndrewN

Can I also mark B over C because of following 2 reasons:

Quote:
1. Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been politically charged in the Pacific Northwest, politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend to protect the fish.

B. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, proposing instead a series of smaller steps intended

C. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan for protecting wild salmon and other endangered fish, and instead they proposed a series of smaller steps, intending

1. Verb+ing Modifier: proposing vs intending
B. Politicians decided something (cause) with the intention of proposing something (result effect)
C. Politician decided and they proposed with the result of intending to protect the fish?
Politicians decided and proposed with the result of intending something? Little skeptical in choosing this option

2. Verb-ed Modifier (intended )
B says: intended correctly modifies series of small steps; make more sense
C says: no modifier for series of small steps

Yes, imSKR, these are both valid considerations. And if you are reading, zoezhuyan, I hope you can appreciate the points that are made in the quoted post. Whether you agree or disagree with the points the community has made about (C), I would advise you at this point to let the dust settle on the question. If you find that you keep running into modifier issues, then you can study those more in earnest with or without the help of a qualified professional. Never let a single question hold up your preparation.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
JCLEONES wrote:
Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been politically charged in the Pacific Northwest, politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend to protect the fish.

A. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend

D. an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish was postponed by politicians, who instead proposed a series of smaller steps, intending

E. an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish has been postponed by politicians, proposing instead a series of smaller steps intended

EducationAisle Why is A wrong? Is it just that B is of better quality?

TIA.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:
EducationAisle Why is A wrong? Is it just that B is of better quality?

Yeah, overall, concision definitely plays a role here.

Also notice that "which" in A is very far from its intended antecedent (which I presume is "plan").
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Send PM
I know that A is wrong , but is it wrong because of usage of 'instead of which' or is it because of usage of 'by which'
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
akt715 wrote:
I know that A is wrong , but is it wrong because of usage of 'instead of which' or is it because of usage of 'by which'

Neither phrase is technically a grammatical error, but both are problematic -- the first one in particular. Take another look at (A):

Quote:
Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been politically charged in the Pacific Northwest, politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend to protect the fish.

First, it's tough to figure out what the initial "which" is referring to. It clearly doesn't make sense to write "instead of endangered fish" or "instead of salmon." If you keep digging, you might land on "ambitious plan."

But now you have the odd phrase, "instead of [the ambitious plan] they..." Wait. So "they" are instead of the "ambitious plan." Who's "they?" The politicians? Why would politicians be instead of a plan? :think:

If you read it several times, you can puzzle out what all the pronouns are doing -- instead of the old plan, the politicians want to propose a new one. So I wouldn't feel comfortable saying they're definitively WRONG, but it takes an awful lot of work to arrive at a coherent meaning.

The next "which" isn't quite as bad, but the phrase, "by which they..." leaves the reader again having to scramble to figure out what the pronouns are doing. It seem as though "which" now refers to "steps" and "they" again goes back to "politicians." But wouldn't it be simpler and clearer and to dispense with the pronouns entirely and just write that the steps are intended to protect the fish, as (B) does? Why throw in two consecutive murky pronouns?

If one answer choice is clear and logical and another is littered with confusing and possibly illogical constructions, you're better off choosing the clear and logical option, even if the murky constructions aren't definitively wrong according to a usage guide.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
JCLEONES wrote:

A. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend
Too many whichs distorts the meaning therefore out

The meaning is perfect therefore let us hang on to it

They refering back to fishes which is not makiing any sense

D. an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish was postponed by politicians, who instead proposed a series of smaller steps, intending
intending isn't the right usage therefore out

E. an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish has been postponed by politicians, proposing instead a series of smaller steps intended
The meaning isn't perfect therefore out
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2113
Send PM
Hello,
I want to check whether my reasons for rejecting the Choice A are correct.
Here Choice A mentions "series of smaller steps, by which they intend to protect the fish."

Here 'which' can refer to 'smaller steps' or 'series of smaller steps'

First mistake is that there is no clear referent.

Second: generally we will say: "We intend to protect the fish by reducing the fishing." OR "We intend to protect the fish by introducing new fishing laws."
In essence we say "by <doing something>".
Now as per the sentence "by smaller steps" or "by series of smaller step" do not seem correct. It could have been "by executing smaller steps"

Please tell me whether the above reasoning is ok.
And also point out other mistakes in Original sentence (If any).

Thanks and Regards!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anandanwar wrote:
Hello,
I want to check whether my reasons for rejecting the Choice A are correct.
Here Choice A mentions "series of smaller steps, by which they intend to protect the fish."

Here 'which' can refer to 'smaller steps' or 'series of smaller steps'

Whether you think 'which' refers to 'smaller steps' or 'series of smaller steps', it doesn't make much of a difference in terms of meaning. So, I would not bother too much about this.

In fact, the first "which" (instead of which) is a bigger issue, because "which" is quite far from the intended referent "plan".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
akt715 wrote:

Neither phrase is technically a grammatical error, but both are problematic -- the first one in particular. Take another look at (A):

Quote:

First, it's tough to figure out what the initial "which" is referring to. It clearly doesn't make sense to write "instead of endangered fish" or "instead of salmon." If you keep digging, you might land on "ambitious plan."

But now you have the odd phrase, "instead of [the ambitious plan] they..." Wait. So "they" are instead of the "ambitious plan." Who's "they?" The politicians? Why would politicians be instead of a plan? :think:

If you read it several times, you can puzzle out what all the pronouns are doing -- instead of the old plan, the politicians want to propose a new one. So I wouldn't feel comfortable saying they're definitively WRONG, but it takes an awful lot of work to arrive at a coherent meaning.

The next "which" isn't quite as bad, but the phrase, "by which they..." leaves the reader again having to scramble to figure out what the pronouns are doing. It seem as though "which" now refers to "steps" and "they" again goes back to "politicians." But wouldn't it be simpler and clearer and to dispense with the pronouns entirely and just write that the steps are intended to protect the fish, as (B) does? Why throw in two consecutive murky pronouns?

If one answer choice is clear and logical and another is littered with confusing and possibly illogical constructions, you're better off choosing the clear and logical option, even if the murky constructions aren't definitively wrong according to a usage guide.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja

Can I eliminate this choice because each which refers to different noun ?
Generally, is it acceptable to use the same pronoun to refer different noun? << because it may be confusing readers and make the sentence unclear.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
akt715 wrote:

Quote:

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja

Can I eliminate this choice because each which refers to different noun ?
Generally, is it acceptable to use the same pronoun to refer different noun? << because it may be confusing readers and make the sentence unclear.

There's no rule that forbids us to use "which" to refer to different nouns in the same sentence, but if one option is confusing because it contains more than one "which," referring to more than one noun, and another option is clearer because it doesn't, well, you'll choose the clearer one, right?

So file this one under "not a concrete error, but certainly not ideal."

I hope that clears things up!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts