GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 14:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

First Attempt - 770 Q50V44 IR8

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
First Attempt - 770 Q50V44 IR8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 17:28
So I took the GMAT for the first time this afternoon.

I bought the training materials around christmas, planning to check it out in the summer and only briefly skimming it after getting a 720 on the Veritas Prep test I did to gauge my level, but the program I want to get into has announced that they would start admitting people to the Fall semester starting this september and R1 deadline was set to April 1st. This got me into a bit of a hurry when I saw this last week and I decided to register for today since the next available appointments were in mid-to-late march and I wasn't sure my score would get there by April 1st if I did it then.

My profile:
Male, mid-20s, Quant major, non-native english speaker, but I use it quite a bit in my day-to-day life.

Preparation was:
1) Veritas Prep Test: 720
2) Last questions in the official book for each category
3) GMAC Test 1: 730
4) GMAC Test 2: 740

With stable Q and an increasing Verbal score. I was feeling pretty good, since I don't even need a 700+ for my target.

I got to the test center pretty early and the staff was really friendly. I was able to begin the test in the next few minutes, ahead of schedule.

After I got into the room, I did my AWA in about 18-20 minutes (Probably did OK, but I didn't really care) and continued to the IR section right away. I finished this one with about 10 minutes to spare.

I declined the break before the Quant because I was beginning to feel a bit hungry and I had only been in the room for 40 minutes by that point. Some of the first questions were challenging, but they were balanced with very short ones, so I was going at about 1:15 per question after the first 10 or so. I ended up being able to get to an answer for all questions (but obviously made a couple of mistakes along the way or I'd have gotten Q51). I was getting pretty tough questions near the end, but I had enough time to work them out. I finished the section with about 20-25 minutes on the counter as far as I can remember (I wasn't really looking at it except to keep a general idea).

I decided to take a break there, got out, stretched a little, went to the restroom, and sat down for the Verbal, which went swimmingly well now that I was in a focused environment for my sentence corrections (which were my weak category). Honestly, not much to talk about there, I guess I was a bit lucky with the questions I got.

Overall, I'll readily admit that my post probably doesn't hold a lot of value to most users, but I wanted to share my experience here because it looks all doom and gloom, sometimes. I'm not the smartest person ever, but a quantitative and logical mindset and reading a lot go a long way on this exam. I have tons of admiration for the perseverance of people who manage to get a high score after several attempts, but it's good to remember that this test isn't as insane as some of the texts out there make it seem to be.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: First Attempt - 770 Q50V44 IR8  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 18:11
jsboutin wrote:

I bought the training materials around christmas, planning to check it out in the summer and only briefly skimming it after getting a 720 on the Veritas Prep test I did to gauge my level, but the program I want to get into has announced that they would start admitting people to the Fall semester starting this september and R1 deadline was set to April 1st. This got me into a bit of a hurry when I saw this last week and I decided to register for today since the next available appointments were in mid-to-late march and I wasn't sure my score would get there by April 1st if I did it then.

My profile:
Male, mid-20s, Quant major, non-native english speaker, but I use it quite a bit in my day-to-day life.

Preparation was:

With stable Q and an increasing Verbal score. I was feeling pretty good, since I don't even need a 700+ for my target.

I got to the test center pretty early and the staff was really friendly. I was able to begin the test in the next few minutes, ahead of schedule.

After I got into the room, I did my AWA in about 18-20 minutes (Probably did OK, but I didn't really care) and continued to the IR section right away. I finished this one with about 10 minutes to spare.

I declined the break before the Quant because I was beginning to feel a bit hungry and I had only been in the room for 40 minutes by that point. Some of the first questions were challenging, but they were balanced with very short ones, so I was going at about 1:15 per question after the first 10 or so. I ended up being able to get to an answer for all questions (but obviously made a couple of mistakes along the way or I'd have gotten Q51). I was getting pretty tough questions near the end, but I had enough time to work them out. I finished the section with about 20-25 minutes on the counter as far as I can remember (I wasn't really looking at it except to keep a general idea).

I decided to take a break there, got out, stretched a little, went to the restroom, and sat down for the Verbal, which went swimmingly well now that I was in a focused environment for my sentence corrections (which were my weak category). Honestly, not much to talk about there, I guess I was a bit lucky with the questions I got.

Overall, I'll readily admit that my post probably doesn't hold a lot of value to most users, but I wanted to share my experience here because it looks all doom and gloom, sometimes. I'm not the smartest person ever, but a quantitative and logical mindset and reading a lot go a long way on this exam. I have tons of admiration for the perseverance of people who manage to get a high score after several attempts, but it's good to remember that this test isn't as insane as some of the texts out there make it seem to be.

Congratulations!! 770 is an excellent score :good

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 00:57
Hi jsboutin,

Congratulations on a phenomenal score. Could you share a bit more information on your Verbal prep. I am sure it will really help all the GMATCLUBBERS. Thanks. :)

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Manager
Manager
G
Cesar: Cesar
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 01:55
Congratulations, nice job in a short period of time.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 06:59
jsboutin wrote:

My profile:

Preparation was:

Congrats! So it sounds like you didn't have to do much "studying"? More of just brushing up on concepts/getting familiar with question types?

Please give KUDOS if this post was helpful!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 09:29
Thanks to everyone for the good comments and sorry for the delay answering the questions!

There wasn't any real studying, the closest thing was doing practice problems and checking what I got wrong(especially in sentence correction).

I think that, for everything verbal, the main point is to take everything very literally (unless specifically asked in the question).

SC mostly revolves (in my short experience) around 3 points: Having verbs of the same tense, matching the verb with the sentence's subject (who or what is"doing" the action) and using the proper words(e.g. like vs. as). For this, I think having read a lot of the only real solution.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 09:40
So whats the next step for you? Starting applying for schools or have you already applied to your target schools?

Any universities that particularly pique your interest?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GPA: 2.4
WE: General Management (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 12:22
jsboutin wrote:

My profile:

Preparation was:

Many Congratulations for Spectacular Score... :) We would be delighted to hear from you more. Keep us updated about your further process of admission.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 08:00
jsboutin

Hi, congrats on your score!

I noticed you took the test about a year ago and scored 50 on the Quant section. What percentile was Q50 back in January 2017?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: First Attempt - 770 Q50V44 IR8 &nbs [#permalink] 30 Mar 2018, 08:00

First Attempt - 770 Q50V44 IR8

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap