GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2019, 13:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 1365
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests
First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 10:15
1
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma pikolo2510 gmatexam439 nightblade354

Can you please help me with A/C ?

First published in 1946, (published is a verb-ed modifier)

and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, (comparing seems
to be gerund here)

Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, (why is this subject so far placed from modifier: published)

laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days
. (main verb)

Quote:
(C) Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days


Mimesis, (yes, this is the subject that published modifies)

a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, (a modifier in between two coma)

compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible,

and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(both verbs are now in parallel)

Why do we not need that between world and appears?
_________________
It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 508
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 00:30
1
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma pikolo2510 gmatexam439 nightblade354

Can you please help me with A/C ?

First published in 1946, (published is a verb-ed modifier)

and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, (comparing seems
to be gerund here)

Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, (why is this subject so far placed from modifier: published)

laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days
. (main verb)

Quote:
(C) Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days


Mimesis, (yes, this is the subject that published modifies)

a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, (a modifier in between two coma)

compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible,

and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(both verbs are now in parallel)

Why do we not need that between world and appears?


the word 'comparing' in option A is not a gerund. It is a verb-ing modifier. If it were used as a gerund, there has to be a verb in that part of the sentence which is not seen.

Also, important thing to note here is a verbing and verbed modifier can be parallel. https://gmatclub.com/forum/verb-ed-verb ... 26923.html

Although option C is grammatically correct, the verb 'lays' is incorrect. The action of 'lay' is something that happened in the past and doesn't continue today. hence Option C is incorrect. Read @daagh's explanation, which is the first post of this thread for why using present tense 'lays' is incorrect.

Hope this helps.
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 439
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 18:02
1
daagh wrote:
First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days.

(A) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(B and laying the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach compared the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible

(C) Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(D) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(E) and comparing Homer’s Odyssey with the Bible and the ways the world appears in both , Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days


daagh,

Sir, is "published" and "comparing" parallel in option A ?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4796
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 00:10
1
Top Contributor
ammu

Yes!

Please see the following example

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending

A
_________________
The Take-Away: Grammar First and Then the Rest
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2017
Posts: 15
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 09:07
daagh wrote:
ammu

Yes!

Please see the following example

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending

A


Hello Sir,

In the below sentence, I have highlighted the two verbs and both are doing the same job, describing the action. Now my question for you is, "Despite being published in 1946 if Mimesis still compares (the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible), then why it can not lay the foundation every time someone reads it?"

Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days.

Another question. Please do check the parallelism in this part of the sentence, "the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible".
Why we can't accept the same parallelism in "compares" and "lays"?
_________________
Have a Great Day!

Regards,
MS
______________________________________
Scale New heights..!
If you like my post, then give me a Kudos toast!
https://gmatclub.com/tests-beta/dashboard/startfree.html
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 10:51
How is first published and comparing, modifies mimesis. Published is by someone and comparing is by mimesis it self.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Dec 2016
Posts: 20
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 21:46
daagh wrote:
Let us just get hold of the gist.

1. A book first - published - in 1946 – a past participle is rightly used.
2. A book is -comparing - something ( even as of today) so a present participle – comparing – is rightly used.
3. Comparison is between the way world appears in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible. Comparison is not between the whole books of Odyssey and Bible.
4. The book laid the foundation for something beginning from early times to his days. - To his days - is the key here, restricting the foundation as something of a past and not applicable at the moment. So the correct expression for this will be a simple past – laid -.

It may be seen that only A fits in

(A) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach – laid - the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days –
Right choice

(B and laying the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach compared the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible.
Wrong because, comparison should come first and then the laying the foundation

(C) Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days
wrong

(D) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days
wrong

(E) and comparing Homer’s Odyssey with the Bible and the ways the world appears in both, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days
E – Compares Homer’s Odyssey with the Bible which alters the intent.
Why no one has problem with "to his days".
Is it correct to use his in place of mimesis.??
Kindly help..

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Dec 2016
Posts: 20
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 21:50
Mouni08 wrote:
How is first published and comparing, modifies mimesis. Published is by someone and comparing is by mimesis it self.
It is not 'published by' , so the first & 2nd modifier are both correctly modifing mimesis.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Apr 2019
Posts: 17
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2019, 03:22
Hi,

Wanted a little guidance on (B)- does it make sense saying that sometimes certain verb when used as V+ing in certain context then it distorts the meaning a little. Like laying X, compared Y. v/s comparing X, laid Y. Sort of "Laying" sounds more appropriate with eggs because that does look like an ongoing continuous process, but "laid the foundation of something" doesn't look like that making it continuous is even an option(to some extent).
As that is the only way I could think of between B & C. And want to ensure if I am absolutely wrong or a little towards right thought process.

Apologies for any error in the text above as this is my first post.
Thank you for your support.
-Tulika Bhargava
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4796
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2019, 04:06
1
Top Contributor
tulika Bhargava

The word lay, the precursor to 'Laying' has several shades of meaning. Limiting it to just laying eggs, because the process of laying is continuous doesn't sound normal. Then we may not have a sensible meaning for the mason laying the bricks, or the mother laying the bed for the kids, etc.

You might also see the link found below to understand the full ramification of the word 'lay'.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/lay

For a full understanding the difference between B and C, I would suggest that you go into the meaning of both the choices. Perhaps you may have to refer back to some of the previous postings
_________________
The Take-Away: Grammar First and Then the Rest
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 31 Oct 2018
Posts: 79
Location: India
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2019, 21:18
anilisanil wrote:
May be it is true that one does not have to use a comma when two short phrases are involved. But when a long modifier is involved, then it might be okay to use a comma. And the point to note here is that, the GMAC isn’t fastidious about comma in general, unless the intended meaning gets distorted. Does the meaning here get distorted because a comma has been used? I am willing to learn f, if my understanding of GMAT is deficient-- the original poster

I tend to agree with you. But problems with A do not just stop there. Parallelism is lost between Published and Comparing. Published is what happened to the book and comparing is what it does. I am not too sure, but the sentence means that act of publishing of the book happened when the book was comparing something. Unless, I am completely muddled up I have reasonable confidence to believe there is something wrong with the option A.


anilisanil

Please refer this link from E-gmat https://e-gmat.com/blogs/parallelism-grammar-vs-logic. This will help you understand why C is wrong and parallelism-grammar-vs-logic.
_________________
Happy to receive feedback on my post. Please give kudos if you find my content interesting.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 Dec 2018
Posts: 29
Location: India
Schools: HBS '21, ISB '21
Reviews Badge
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 00:07
Hi daagh

I eliminated B and C by looking the the ambiguity created by "his".

In B, the antecedent for "his" is not there, it comes long after.

In C, there is an ambiguity as to whom "his" is referring to. Aurbach or Homer.


(B) and laying the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach compared the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible

(C) Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days


Can you let me know if I was right on this ?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 Dec 2018
Posts: 29
Location: India
Schools: HBS '21, ISB '21
Reviews Badge
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 00:08
Hi daagh

I eliminated B and C by looking the the ambiguity created by "his".

In B, the antecedent for "his" is not there, it comes long after.

In C, there is an ambiguity as to whom "his" is referring to. Aurbach or Homer.


(B) and laying the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach compared the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible

(C) Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days


Can you let me know if I was right on this ?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 00:19
Why not C?
(C) Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4796
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 01:18
Top Contributor
Connor: Please consider this. Homer's days were around 10th BC, some 3000 years ago. In comparison, Auerbach was a 20th century (AD) man. He is comparing some fact about what Homer wrote and what Bible says and then presents a central idea until his own days that he wrote the treatise. Although looking ambiguous, logically 'his' should refer to only Auerbach.
_________________
The Take-Away: Grammar First and Then the Rest
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4796
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 01:28
Top Contributor
@Dripta

Pikolo wrote earlier in this thread

Quote:
Although option C is grammatically correct, the verb 'lays' is incorrect. The action of 'lay' is something that happened in the past and does not continue today. Hence, Option C is incorrect. Read @death's explanation, which is the first post of this thread for why using present tense 'lays' is incorrect.
Quote:


That is a neat explanation. Hope it helps clear your doubt.
_________________
The Take-Away: Grammar First and Then the Rest
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Dec 2018
Posts: 11
CAT Tests
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 01:08
1
daagh wrote:
First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days.

(A) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(B and laying the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach compared the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible

(C) Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(D) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(E) and comparing Homer’s Odyssey with the Bible and the ways the world appears in both , Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days


In A, a Verb-ed modifier is connected with a Verbing Modifier, how is this parallel?

Thanks

Gagan
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4796
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 05:31
Top Contributor
Gagan
Both 'published' and 'comparing' are modifiers and are parallel. For official questions on this, pl see the links below and and the correct answers thereof.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-discov ... 39754.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-growth-o ... 75679.html
_________________
The Take-Away: Grammar First and Then the Rest
GMAT Club Bot
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2019, 05:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 38 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne