GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 20:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     December 13, 2018

     December 13, 2018

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

     December 14, 2018

     December 14, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one –

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 Aug 2016
Posts: 168
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 2.81
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one –  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 16:26
3
1
4
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 110 sessions

64% (03:35) correct 36% (03:28) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 155 sessions

88% (01:01) correct 12% (01:18) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 158 sessions

68% (01:52) correct 32% (02:00) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one – a French poet in his limitations even more than in his gifts; and he remains an interesting example of the manner in which, even when the former are surprisingly great, a happy application of the latter may produce the most delightful works. Completeness on his own scale is to our mind the idea he most instantly suggests. Such as his finished task now presents him, he is almost sole of his kind. He has had imitators who have imitated everything but his spontaneity and his temper; and as they have therefore failed to equal him we doubt whether the literature of our day presents a genius so naturally perfect. We say this with no desire to transfer Gautier to a higher pedestal than he has fairly earned – a poor service, for the pedestal sometimes sadly dwarfs the figure. His great merit was that he understood himself so perfectly and handled himself so skilfully. Even more than Alfred de Musset (with whom the speech had a shade of mock-modesty) he might have said that, if his glass was not large, as least it was all his own glass.

There are a host of reasons why we should not compare Gautier with such a poet as Browning; and yet there are several why we should. If we do so, with all proper reservations, we may wonder whether we are the richer, or, at all events, the better entertained, as a poet‘s readers should before all things be, by the clear, undiluted strain of Gautier‘s minor key, or by the vast, grossly commingled volume of utterance. It is idle at all times to point a moral. But if there are sermons in stones, there are profitable reflections to be made even on Théophile Gautier; notably this one – that a man‘s supreme use in the world is to master his intellectual instrument and play it in perfection.

He brought to his task a sort of pagan bonhomie which makes most of the descriptive and pictorial poets seem, by contrast, a group of shivering ascetics or muddled metaphysicians. He excels them by his magnificent good temper and the unquestioning serenity of his enjoyment of the great spectacle of nature and art. His world was all material, and its outlying darkness hardly more suggestive, morally, than a velvet canopy studded with silver nails. To close his eyes and turn his back on it must have seemed to him the end of all things; death, for him, must have been as the sullen dropping of a stone into a well. His observation was so penetrating and his descriptive instinct so unerring, that one might have fancied grave nature, in a fit of coquetry, or tired of receiving but half- justice, had determined to construct a genius with senses of a finer strain than the mass of human family.


1. In the passage, the author suggests that the French poet Théophile Gautier‘s talents included all of the following EXCEPT:
A. an innovative and unique artistic view of nature.
B. the ability to quickly and immediately compose poetry.
C. extensive training in rhetorical and literary techniques.
D. a strong understanding of his world and himself.
E. he had sharp observation powers

2. For what purpose can it reasonably be concluded does the author reference other writers in this passage, including Musset and Browning?

A. To prove that Gautier, as a poet, was unique among his contemporaries

B. To show that Gautier‘s poetry was representative of French lyricism at the time

C. To criticize Gautier‘s limited talent and creativity

D. To refute the idea that Gautier‘s colleagues could easily imitate his style

E. To prove how inferior the other writers were compared to Gautier

3. The author makes a few noteworthy remarks about Gautier‘s attitude towards death. This attitude would most support which of the following conclusions?

A. None of Gautier‘s literary works focused on human frailty.

B. Gautier believed that people are inherently linked to the divine.

C. The fleeting passage of time was a common poetic theme that Gautier neglected.

D. In his poetry, Gautier often focused on the vibrancy of human and natural life.

E. Gautier was a strong believer in the theory of life after death


_________________

Resources
GMATNinja Webinars
GMATNinja Chats

Quant
Mixtures

MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Joined: 22 May 2017
Posts: 1423
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one –  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 20:06

+1 kudos to the posts containing answer explanations of all questions


_________________

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

GMATClub School Ambassador

B-School app with GRE

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Oct 2015
Posts: 241
Re: Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one –  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 20:35
Definitely one of the hardest passages out there
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 23 Aug 2016
Posts: 108
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.84
WE: Other (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one –  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 21:16
1
1
PeepalTree wrote:
Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one – a French poet in his limitations even more than in his gifts; and he remains an interesting example of the manner in which, even when the former are surprisingly great, a happy application of the latter may produce the most delightful works. Completeness on his own scale is to our mind the idea he most instantly suggests. Such as his finished task now presents him, he is almost sole of his kind. He has had imitators who have imitated everything but his spontaneity and his temper; and as they have therefore failed to equal him we doubt whether the literature of our day presents a genius so naturally perfect. We say this with no desire to transfer Gautier to a higher pedestal than he has fairly earned – a poor service, for the pedestal sometimes sadly dwarfs the figure. His great merit was that he understood himself so perfectly and handled himself so skilfully. Even more than Alfred de Musset (with whom the speech had a shade of mock-modesty) he might have said that, if his glass was not large, as least it was all his own glass.

There are a host of reasons why we should not compare Gautier with such a poet as Browning; and yet there are several why we should. If we do so, with all proper reservations, we may wonder whether we are the richer, or, at all events, the better entertained, as a poet‘s readers should before all things be, by the clear, undiluted strain of Gautier‘s minor key, or by the vast, grossly commingled volume of utterance. It is idle at all times to point a moral. But if there are sermons in stones, there are profitable reflections to be made even on Théophile Gautier; notably this one – that a man‘s supreme use in the world is to master his intellectual instrument and play it in perfection.

He brought to his task a sort of pagan bonhomie which makes most of the descriptive and pictorial poets seem, by contrast, a group of shivering ascetics or muddled metaphysicians. He excels them by his magnificent good temper and the unquestioning serenity of his enjoyment of the great spectacle of nature and art. His world was all material, and its outlying darkness hardly more suggestive, morally, than a velvet canopy studded with silver nails. To close his eyes and turn his back on it must have seemed to him the end of all things; death, for him, must have been as the sullen dropping of a stone into a well. His observation was so penetrating and his descriptive instinct so unerring, that one might have fancied grave nature, in a fit of coquetry, or tired of receiving but half- justice, had determined to construct a genius with senses of a finer strain than the mass of human family.

1. In the passage, the author suggests that the French poet Théophile Gautier‘s talents included all of the following EXCEPT:
A. an innovative and unique artistic view of nature.
B. the ability to quickly and immediately compose poetry.
C. extensive training in rhetorical and literary techniques.
D. a strong understanding of his world and himself.
E. he had sharp observation powers
2. For what purpose can it reasonably be concluded does the author reference other writers in this passage, including Musset and Browning?

A. To prove that Gautier, as a poet, was unique among his contemporaries

B. To show that Gautier‘s poetry was representative of French lyricism at the time

C. To criticize Gautier‘s limited talent and creativity

D. To refute the idea that Gautier‘s colleagues could easily imitate his style

E. To prove how inferior the other writers were compared to Gautier
3. The author makes a few noteworthy remarks about Gautier‘s attitude towards death. This attitude would most support which of the following conclusions?

A. None of Gautier‘s literary works focused on human frailty.

B. Gautier believed that people are inherently linked to the divine.

C. The fleeting passage of time was a common poetic theme that Gautier neglected.

D. In his poetry, Gautier often focused on the vibrancy of human and natural life.

E. Gautier was a strong believer in the theory of life after death



Definitely one of the toughest and condense passages.
Managed to get all correct in 10 minutes.

1. In the passage, the author suggests that the French poet Théophile Gautier‘s talents included all of the following EXCEPT:
A. an innovative and unique artistic view of nature.-False, Gautier was innovative and unique.
B. the ability to quickly and immediately compose poetry.-False, refer the word "spontaneity"
C. extensive training in rhetorical and literary techniques.-True, this is no where mentioned in the passage.
D. a strong understanding of his world and himself.-False, he understood the world and himself very well.
E. he had sharp observation powers-False, refer"He excels them by his magnificent good temper and the unquestioning serenity of his enjoyment of the great spectacle of nature and art."

2. For what purpose can it reasonably be concluded does the author reference other writers in this passage, including Musset and Browning?

A. To prove that Gautier, as a poet, was unique among his contemporaries-True, Comparison was to prove that G was unique.

B. To show that Gautier‘s poetry was representative of French lyricism at the time-False, partially correct but no the underlying reason.

C. To criticize Gautier‘s limited talent and creativity-Author never criticized G but rather he said despite his limitations he was an excellent poet

D. To refute the idea that Gautier‘s colleagues could easily imitate his style-False, in fact opp is true.

E. To prove how inferior the other writers were compared to Gautier-False, author didnt prove anyone inferior to G.

3. The author makes a few noteworthy remarks about Gautier‘s attitude towards death. This attitude would most support which of the following conclusions?

A. None of Gautier‘s literary works focused on human frailty.-False, human frailty is no where mentioned.

B. Gautier believed that people are inherently linked to the divine.-False, not mentioned anywhere

C. The fleeting passage of time was a common poetic theme that Gautier neglected.-False, author didn't neglect this theme.

D. In his poetry, Gautier often focused on the vibrancy of human and natural life.-True refer "To close his eyes and turn his back on it must have seemed to him the end of all things; death, for him, must have been as the sullen dropping of a stone into a well. His observation was so penetrating and his descriptive instinct so unerring,"

E. Gautier was a strong believer in the theory of life after death- False, no where this is mentioned.
[/box_in][/box_out][/align][/quote]
_________________

Thanks and Regards,

Honneeey.

In former years,Used to run for "Likes", nowadays, craving for "Kudos". :D

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jan 2018
Posts: 69
Re: Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one –  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 23:43
2
1. In the passage, the author suggests that the French poet Théophile Gautier‘s talents included all of the following EXCEPT:
A. an innovative and unique artistic view of nature- In the 1st para the author states-"he is almost sole of his kind" for the poet. So this option is ruled out.
B. the ability to quickly and immediately compose poetry- In the 1st para the author speaks about the spontaneity with which Gautier would compose his poetry is spoken about. This option also ruled out.
C. extensive training in rhetorical and literary techniques- Nowhere stated.Is the correct choice.
D. a strong understanding of his world and himself- This is stated in 1st para - "His great merit was that he understood himself so perfectly and handled himself so skilfully". So this option is also ruled out.
E. he had sharp observation power- In the last para the author states -"His observation was so penetrating and his descriptive instinct so unerring, that one might have...." about Gautier. So this option is also ruled out.

2. For what purpose can it reasonably be concluded does the author reference other writers in this passage, including Musset and Browning?

A. To prove that Gautier, as a poet, was unique among his contemporaries - This is clearly stated in 1st para of the passage and is the correct choice.

B. To show that Gautier‘s poetry was representative of French lyricism at the time- The author does not seem to use other author's reference to show that Gautier‘s poetry represents French lyricism at the time.

C. To criticize Gautier‘s limited talent and creativity - The author is praises in passage how Gautier even with limited talent was unique and compares him with some of the other good poets. So this option is not relevant.

D. To refute the idea that Gautier‘s colleagues could easily imitate his style - Although he states that his style is imitated but they were not able to copy the spontaneity and temper. Not the correct choice.

E. To prove how inferior the other writers were compared to Gautier - This is not the objective of the comparison.

3. The author makes a few noteworthy remarks about Gautier‘s attitude towards death. This attitude would most support which of the following conclusions?

We need to focus more towards last para for this question

A. None of Gautier‘s literary works focused on human frailty- No specific mention made on this.

B. Gautier believed that people are inherently linked to the divine- This is not the correct choice. we can infer this from lines such as -"His world was all material, and its..."

C. The fleeting passage of time was a common poetic theme that Gautier neglected- Cannot be inferred.

D. In his poetry, Gautier often focused on the vibrancy of human and natural life- From last para this can be inferred and is the correct choice.

E. Gautier was a strong believer in the theory of life after death - Similar explanation as for choice B
_________________

+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 384
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one –  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 01:45
2
I am surprised i answered all questions right in just 5 mins
I guess the passage is tough but questions are easy....
" He excels them by his magnificent good temper and the unquestioning serenity of his enjoyment of the great spectacle of nature and art" ---->this line give me hint to answer question 3

"Such as his finished task now presents him, he is almost sole of his kind" this line as well first two para give me hint that he was unique and helped me answer question 2

Nothing was mentioned about "extensive training in rhetorical and literary techniques"--->nothing is mentioned about training so i picked this in question 1
_________________

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Sep 2018
Posts: 67
Location: United States
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one –  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 12:40
sananoor:
Can you please suggest your technique while reading such paragraph? i read and solved the para in almost 13 mins.
I had to re-read many sentences again and again and ensure that i understood the meaning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 384
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one –  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 22:20
3
Cinematiccuisine wrote:
sananoor:
Can you please suggest your technique while reading such paragraph? i read and solved the para in almost 13 mins.
I had to re-read many sentences again and again and ensure that i understood the meaning.


Cinematiccuisine, Its a long journey but finally i have started feeling confidence while attempting RC
the only Key to RC is Practice-Analyse-Repeat
1) Try to practice atleast 4 RC's daily, all four on different topics
2) Analyse you mistakes in depth
3)Repeat these same Rc's after couple of days

The above is a general tip that works for anyone

try this passage and let me know your performance
https://gmatclub.com/forum/while-there- ... 47046.html
_________________

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 Aug 2016
Posts: 168
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 2.81
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one –  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 07:44
sananoor wrote:
Cinematiccuisine wrote:
sananoor:
Can you please suggest your technique while reading such paragraph? i read and solved the para in almost 13 mins.
I had to re-read many sentences again and again and ensure that i understood the meaning.


Cinematiccuisine, Its a long journey but finally i have started feeling confidence while attempting RC
the only Key to RC is Practice-Analyse-Repeat
1) Try to practice atleast 4 RC's daily, all four on different topics
2) Analyse you mistakes in depth
3)Repeat these same Rc's after couple of days

The above is a general tip that works for anyone

try this passage and let me know your performance
https://gmatclub.com/forum/while-there- ... 47046.html


Great! sananoor
from which source do you practice RCs?
_________________

Resources
GMATNinja Webinars
GMATNinja Chats

Quant
Mixtures

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 384
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one –  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 23:26
PeepalTree

I was thinking to text you two days back to let u know that you are posting great passages. Your passages really give me tough time
I started practicing RC's from gmatclub and initially i started with 500 level passages. The day i felt that my accuracy has reached 100% in easy passages i started doing 650 level passages. I am still struggling tough! No specific source as i have gmatclub!
_________________

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 Aug 2016
Posts: 168
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 2.81
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one –  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 08:02
sananoor wrote:
PeepalTree

I was thinking to text you two days back to let u know that you are posting great passages. Your passages really give me tough time
I started practicing RC's from gmatclub and initially i started with 500 level passages. The day i felt that my accuracy has reached 100% in easy passages i started doing 650 level passages. I am still struggling tough! No specific source as i have gmatclub!


Yeah these RC99 passages are tough. Sometimes the questions may not seem GMAT like, but nevertheless these passages are good for getting comfortable with difficult content.

thanks
_________________

Resources
GMATNinja Webinars
GMATNinja Chats

Quant
Mixtures

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one – &nbs [#permalink] 04 Oct 2018, 08:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Gautier was indeed a poet and a strongly representative one –

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.