GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 15:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Genghis Khan's Mongol empire was, at its peak, considerably larger tha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Genghis Khan's Mongol empire was, at its peak, considerably larger tha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Jan 2018, 10:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:05) correct 36% (01:01) wrong based on 188 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Genghis Khan's Mongol empire was, at its peak, considerably larger than Attila's Hunnish empire, but because Attila's home base, in modern Hungary, much closer to Western Europe than Genghis' Mongolian headquarters, Genghis posing less of a threat to Rome.

(A) much closer to Western Europe than Genghis' Mongolian headquarters, Genghis posing
(B) much closer to Western Europe than to Genghis' Mongolian headquarters, Genghis posing
(C) much closer to Western Europe than was Genghis' Mongolian headquarters, Genghis posed
(D) was much closer to Western Europe than was Genghis' Mongolian headquarters, Genghis posed
(E) was much closer to Western Europe than Genghis' Mongolian headquarters, Genghis posed

Once again, verb is required in the comparison. I still have no idea how to choose between D and E Pls share your helps.

Originally posted by chesstitans on 11 Jan 2018, 22:43.
Last edited by chesstitans on 12 Jan 2018, 10:47, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests
Re: Genghis Khan's Mongol empire was, at its peak, considerably larger tha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:07
Don't we need "was" after Attila's house? I am not able to understand how the OA is C. mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, Could you one guys please explain why the correct answer is C and not D? My sole purpose for eliminating option A/B/C was that I thought we needed a verb right after Attila's house. Please help! Would greatly appreciate it!

Originally posted by csaluja on 12 Jan 2018, 10:39.
Last edited by csaluja on 12 Jan 2018, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Genghis Khan's Mongol empire was, at its peak, considerably larger tha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 11:02
chesstitans wrote:
Genghis Khan's Mongol empire was, at its peak, considerably larger than Attila's Hunnish empire, but because Attila's home base, in modern Hungary, much closer to Western Europe than Genghis' Mongolian headquarters, Genghis posing less of a threat to Rome.

(A) much closer to Western Europe than Genghis' Mongolian headquarters, Genghis posing
(B) much closer to Western Europe than to Genghis' Mongolian headquarters, Genghis posing
(C) much closer to Western Europe than was Genghis' Mongolian headquarters, Genghis posed
(D) was much closer to Western Europe than was Genghis' Mongolian headquarters, Genghis posed
(E) was much closer to Western Europe than Genghis' Mongolian headquarters, Genghis posed

Once again, verb is required in the comparison. I still have no idea how to choose between D and E Pls share your helps.

csaluja wrote:
Don't we need "was" after Attila's house? I am not able to understand how the OA is C. mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, Could you one guys please explain why the correct answer is C and not E? My sole purpose for eliminating option A/B/C was that I thought we needed a verb right after Attila's house. Please help! Would greatly appreciate it!

Dear csaluja & chesstitans,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The best answer clearly is (D), but chesstitans has posted the question with (C) as the OA. Either this was a sloppy mistake on his part, or the question author himself was confused; I suspect that the former is the case. As csaluja has pointed out, there's no way that (C) could be the answer. I will defer any discussion until the OA is clarified.

I will remind you, chesstitans, that how you do anything is how you do everything. Here, because you weren't careful about details, you have generated confusion for others, and have created extra work for others. It is part of the habits of excellence to bring the best of yourself, as much as possible, to every statement you make. If you aspire to excellence, you would do well to embrace the habits of excellence. How you do anything is how you do everything.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2018, 05:05

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2018, 10:04
We definitely need a WAS here.The meaning of the sentence impels us to compare attila's home base and Genghis khans headquarters. Without the WAS the meaning is ambiguous. We could have 2 comparisons possible

1)Western Europe and Mongolian Headquarters

2)Mongolian Headquarters and Attila's home base(The one we need)

Since 2 meanings are possible E is incorrect.D is correct.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 01:31
How can it be D. I think since "Mongolian headquarters" is plural, the sentence should have used "were".
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 05:07
chesstitans wrote:

chesstitans,
Between D and E, note that E changes the meaning of the sentence.
Let A , W, and G denote the three locations
D says distance between A and W is lesser than distance between W and G -that's why G posed lesser threat as it is farther than A is from W-intended meaning
E says distance between A and W is lesser than the distance between A and G. - changes the meaning incorrectly to render illogical inference.
Hence, D.
Hope it's clear now.

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

VP
VP
D
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 06:48

Official Explanation

Split #1: We have an independent clause, then the word "but": after this, we need another independent clause with Genghis as the subject. He must be followed by a full verb, "posed," not the participle "posing." Choices (A) & (B) make this mistake.

Split #2: Right after the word "but" we have the opening of a "because" clause with the subject "Attila's home base." This subject also needs a full verb. We need "was much closer." Choice (C) omits the verb.

Split #3: Finally, we have an ambiguous comparison in (E). For simplicity, let's abbreviate: X = "Attila's home base, in modern Hungary," Y = "Western Europe," and Z = "Genghis' Mongolian headquarters." Using these abbreviations, (E) says:

X was much closer to Y than Z

This could mean:

X was much closer to Y than it was to Z

or

X was much closer to Y than Z was close to Y.

We can tell from the prompt that the second meaning is the intended one, but (E) has been so shortened that it no longer allows us to resolve this ambiguity, and ambiguity is always wrong! Choice (E) is incorrect!

The only possible answer is (D).

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension

Re: Genghis Khan's Mongol empire was, at its peak, considerably larger tha &nbs [#permalink] 08 Sep 2018, 06:48

Genghis Khan's Mongol empire was, at its peak, considerably larger tha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap