Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GPA: 4
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Hi all, i'm due to take my GMAT next Friday and reading some of the comments has be a bit concerned. Can I please get some clarity on the below:

1) I mutter to myself as I work out questions - is this a big fail?
2) As I think I look elsewhere - will the proctor expect me to keep my eyes fixed on the screen/board when this is how I've operated since school?
3) Am I allowed a glass of water?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
layiwolo wrote:
Hi all, i'm due to take my GMAT next Friday and reading some of the comments has be a bit concerned. Can I please get some clarity on the below:

2) As I think I look elsewhere - will the proctor expect me to keep my eyes fixed on the screen/board when this is how I've operated since school?

I did all of this and the proctor ( each of the 3 that I had) did not mind, but make sure the water is in a clear container. In regard to looking around I mostly looked at my whiteboard and once or twice I looked top left; unfortunately, I tend to look top left when I am stumped lol. Good luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
kscit wrote:
layiwolo wrote:

I did all of this and the proctor ( each of the 3 that I had) did not mind, but make sure the water is in a clear container. In regard to looking around I mostly looked at my whiteboard and once or twice I looked top left; unfortunately, I tend to look top left when I am stumped lol. Good luck

Phew! Glad to hear it. Thank you. Also, do you know if we're allowed to use external mouses or must I use the one on my laptop? Since WFH I've gotten used to using my wireless mouse
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
layiwolo wrote:
kscit wrote:
layiwolo wrote:

Phew! Glad to hear it. Thank you. Also, do you know if we're allowed to use external mouses or must I use the one on my laptop? Since WFH I've gotten used to using my wireless mouse

Ya so you can use external mouse, and as of recently, it can be wireless. During my exam I used both my wired external mouse and my laptop mouse and again no issue from proctors. The biggest thing I actually liked about using the mouse during online was the ability to highlight the text. I do/did this on all the practice exam and was a bit flustered during the in person GMAT that I couldn't. Not really important but I have not seen anyone else mention this.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
obsidianstorm wrote:
SiddhantSky wrote:
obsidianstorm wrote:
SiddhantSky wrote:

That is the problem, they dont even say NO NEVER HAPPENING! frustrated for them to not allow when GRE is allowing multiple retakes. They should understand that it is a new way to give the exam and people may need more than one try to give their best!

True. If they at least say that they will not allow retakes then we can move on. But telling that they are considering gives false hope which is wrong.

I will wait till september end. If they still dont announce anything, will just give the GRE instead :/

I am honestly perplexed that GMAC is still not allowing retakes. I do not know how allowing retakes will affect anything? I know many people are okay with having the same lifetime limit rules being applied for the retake. So, ideally they should gone the GRE route from the beginning.

Very true. Its just frustrating. Since colleges are closing applications and these people are sitting and "considering". Worst is that they arent even telling us YES OR NO. Just sit tight and watch us waste your time :/
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools: LBS '23 (A)
GRE 1: Q165 V159
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
PSA - switch to the GRE.

I took GMAT last weekend and got a 600 (boooo). Today I took GRE and got a 324 (85th percentile for quant and 82nd percentile for verbal).

I'm sure schools are going to be more lax about GRE scores over GMAT scores this year.

Make the switch!
Director
Director
Send PM
Logo wrote:

I took GMAT last weekend and got a 600 (boooo). Today I took GRE and got a 324 (85th percentile for quant and 82nd percentile for verbal).

I'm sure schools are going to be more lax about GRE scores over GMAT scores this year.

Amazing improvement on the GRE!

This kind of mismatch in scores raises questions as to whether these two tests are really comparable in terms of scores.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools: LBS '23 (A)
GRE 1: Q165 V159
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Hovkial wrote:
Logo wrote:

This kind of mismatch in scores raises questions as to whether these two tests are really comparable in terms of scores.

Honestly, it could be me. I get really bad test anxiety and my GMAT score drops about 60 points on test day. The format for GRE seems to cater to my learning style.
Director
Director
Send PM
Logo wrote:
Hovkial wrote:
Logo wrote:

Honestly, it could be me. I get really bad test anxiety and my GMAT score drops about 60 points on test day. The format for GRE seems to cater to my learning style.

Test anxiety should apply to both the tests. So, in theory, that should not have made a significant difference. And the differences in the formats of the tests should not matter IF the test scores are really comparable.

Even though both the GMAT and the GRE claim their scores indicate compatibility with each other, I am not so sure that that is the correct characterization. The two tests cover similar content, but they really test different types of skills in some aspects. Both are good tests, but they are different tests.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [1]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hovkial wrote:
Test anxiety should apply to both the tests. So, in theory, that should not have made a significant difference. And the differences in the formats of the tests should not matter IF the test scores are really comparable.

True, but one significant difference between the At-Home GRE and the GMAT Online is that the GRE allows you to skip questions and go back, and the GMAT does not, which can add to test anxiety if you're stuck on a particular question that doesn't make sense.

Another consideration is that the GMAT Online is currently a one-shot deal only (no retakes allowed), whereas the At-Home GRE allows retakes every 21 days (up to 5 exams per year, with no lifetime limit).

I think most of us can agree that allowing retakes is a good thing when it comes to tackling test-day nerves and anxiety: if your first (or second or third, or fourth!) attempt at the At-Home GRE doesn't go well, then you can schedule another attempt after 21 days, and send only your best score to schools using GRE ScoreSelect, but again, retakes are not yet an option with the GMAT Online.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Hovkial wrote:

True, but one significant difference between the At-Home GRE and the GMAT Online is that the GRE allows you to skip questions and go back, and the GMAT does not, which can add to test anxiety if you're stuck on a particular question that doesn't make sense.

Another consideration is that the GMAT Online is currently a one-shot deal only (no retakes allowed), whereas the At-Home GRE allows retakes every 21 days (up to 5 exams per year, with no lifetime limit).

I think most of us can agree that allowing retakes is a good thing when it comes to tackling test-day nerves and anxiety: if your first (or second or third, or fourth!) attempt at the At-Home GRE doesn't go well, then you can schedule another attempt after 21 days, and send only your best score to schools using GRE ScoreSelect, but again, retakes are not yet an option with the GMAT Online.

Do you think they will allow it anytime soon??
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [1]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
SiddhantSky wrote:

Yes, I do believe that the people at GMAC will soon allow GMAT Online retakes, because with every passing day, they are losing market share to ETS and the At-Home GRE, and there are still many places in the world where the test-center GMAT is not available.

That being said, I thought that retakes would be an option by now, and it obviously hasn't yet happened, so what do I know? It's anybody's guess at this point.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34 (Online)
WE:Project Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
SiddhantSky wrote:

Yes, I do believe that the people at GMAC will soon allow GMAT Online retakes, because with every passing day, they are losing market share to ETS and the At-Home GRE, and there are still many places in the world where the test-center GMAT is not available.

That being said, I thought that retakes would be an option by now, and it obviously hasn't yet happened, so what do I know? It's anybody's guess at this point.

I dont think that allowing GMAT online at a later stage will be useful, if it is allowed. One of my friend who was booking the exam in September told me that she has difficulty in getting right slots and the slots are getting over quickly, because I guess generally in these months GMAT is taken the most, so even if they allow the retake and there are no available slots then it is of no use. GMAC has already lost the trick with its slow decisions.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Updates on GMAT Online to come.

Originally posted by dcummins on 23 Aug 2020, 20:39.
Last edited by dcummins on 26 Aug 2020, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34 (Online)
WE:Project Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
dcummins wrote:
Hi Folks,

Just took the exam.

Towards the end of Verbal I was interrupted multiple times by some proctor named Tarshia. This person asked me to see my desk and took their time to type. Then, when i got to the IR section the calculator wasn't working, so they had to fix it live. Didn't restore time even though the question actually needed a calculator (dealt with decimals etc. and hefty division) and even though they took their sweat time to fix things.

Proctors were absolutely useless.
- I was offered no guidance or assistance with whether I could file a complaint or ask to have my exam take revoked even when I asked for it.
- Also, they seemed to want to force me to close the software by leaving me waiting.

Overall, I think test takers should move towards the GRE or another test until GMAC, as an organisation, fixes its act.

Supply and Demand.

I completely agree, they have to move a lot with respect to decisions and delivery. Wt score are u expecting?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Update with detail to come.

Originally posted by dcummins on 23 Aug 2020, 21:48.
Last edited by dcummins on 26 Aug 2020, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 3160
Send PM
dcummins wrote:
gagan03 wrote:
dcummins wrote:
Hi Folks,

Just took the exam.

Towards the end of Verbal I was interrupted multiple times by some proctor named Tarshia. This person asked me to see my desk and took their time to type. Then, when i got to the IR section the calculator wasn't working, so they had to fix it live. Didn't restore time even though the question actually needed a calculator (dealt with decimals etc. and hefty division) and even though they took their sweat time to fix things.

Proctors were absolutely useless.
- I was offered no guidance or assistance with whether I could file a complaint or ask to have my exam take revoked even when I asked for it.
- Also, they seemed to want to force me to close the software by leaving me waiting.

Overall, I think test takers should move towards the GRE or another test until GMAC, as an organisation, fixes its act.

Supply and Demand.

I completely agree, they have to move a lot with respect to decisions and delivery. Wt score are u expecting?

Lol i literally said 'f**K off' when one of them kept interupting me. I somehow forgot they could hear me.

They didn't interupt me after that.

Also, the text on the software is fairly small- anyone notice this?

I was worried about this so I actually turned windows scaling to 175% - this didn't fix the issue at all, but then again i'll never know- perhaps it would have been smaller if i didn't have the scaling on.

I believe either on Reddit or the MBA.com page itself (I forget which); if you used a larger monitor screen, the text will match proportionally (same with the whiteboard) to the size of your screen. So a monitor with a 32-inch display will display the text larger than a 15 inch laptop
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  119   120   121   122   123  ...  183