It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 01:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmat prep 2-Select from each of the drop down menus the option that

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 324

GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Gmat prep 2-Select from each of the drop down menus the option that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 23:10
Please explain the answer to the second part of the question.
Attachments

IMG_20171022_135811.jpg
IMG_20171022_135811.jpg [ 7.88 MiB | Viewed 294 times ]

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Gmat prep 2-Select from each of the drop down menus the option that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 22:07
souvonik2k wrote:

Hi souvonik2k! Carolyn from Magoosh here :-)

I think this question is just worded in a really confusing way. I believe that the question is simply asking "what happened to the unemployment rate after each recession?" In both the late 1940s and the early 1990s, the recessions (indicated by big spikes in unemployment rates) were followed by sharp drops in the unemployment rate. It's definitely confusing that the words "compared with" are used here, but I think the key is that we're just being asked about the trend in the unemployment rate. And if we look at the unemployment rate from 1950 on, and the unemployment rate from around 1993 on, there is a steep decrease. So I think that's all the question is looking for here :-)

Hope that helps!
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Gmat prep 2-Select from each of the drop down menus the option that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 00:06
MagooshExpert wrote:
souvonik2k wrote:

Hi souvonik2k! Carolyn from Magoosh here :-)

I think this question is just worded in a really confusing way. I believe that the question is simply asking "what happened to the unemployment rate after each recession?" In both the late 1940s and the early 1990s, the recessions (indicated by big spikes in unemployment rates) were followed by sharp drops in the unemployment rate. It's definitely confusing that the words "compared with" are used here, but I think the key is that we're just being asked about the trend in the unemployment rate. And if we look at the unemployment rate from 1950 on, and the unemployment rate from around 1993 on, there is a steep decrease. So I think that's all the question is looking for here :-)

Hope that helps!
-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn MagooshExpert for your explanation. But I am afraid can we expect such IR questions in the real test. Currently I am struggling with IR as even mistake in a single part of question does not give any credit for the entire question.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 19:01
souvonik2k wrote:

Thanks Carolyn MagooshExpert for your explanation. But I am afraid can we expect such IR questions in the real test. Currently I am struggling with IR as even mistake in a single part of question does not give any credit for the entire question.

Hi souvonik2k,

I think it's very unlikely that you'll see a question that is worded this badly on the real GMAT. So instead of stressing out about it, try to focus on building the essential skills needed to dominate IR questions :-) First of all, check out these Tips for GMAT IR, and also a free IR eBook! Those cover all the essential skills and strategies for the Integrated Reasoning section.

Hope that's helpful! :-)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 29087 [0], given: 5264

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 22:36
Please do not post questions like this - that is a horrible photo that is 8 MB. I can understand taking a screenshot with a good quality for IR but not like this....

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29087 [0], given: 5264

Re: Gmat prep 2-Select from each of the drop down menus the option that   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2017, 22:36

Gmat prep 2-Select from each of the drop down menus the option that

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, chetan2u

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap