It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 08:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT PREP SC questions..

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3

GMAT PREP SC questions.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2009, 06:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Please find below 3 GMAT prep questions.. Please discuss.
I will post the OA after sufficient dicussions.
Attachments

Doc1.doc [180.5 KiB]
Downloaded 186 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 474 [0], given: 29

Re: GMAT PREP SC questions.. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2009, 13:04
For me the answers are d,b,c respectively.

In the first question I thougt small does not fit with commitment. So A and C out. E is awkard and absurd. There are left D and B . I thought D is the best answer since that young people have a less of a commitment.......than ...... had.

In the second question I think word order and meaning is important. A and C is out

a)led to the construction of what between 1876 and 1904
c) I think the construction is itself more important than certain time
e and d same emphasize on time

In the third question I went with C since ''idiom account for'' means to form the total of an amount of something it is the best answer for me.

Example : In Florida, people over 60 account for more than 25 percent of the population.

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Kudos [?]: 474 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2009, 13:36
Neochronic wrote:
Please find below 3 GMAT prep questions.. Please discuss.
I will post the OA after sufficient dicussions.

1. Options C and D stand as contendors --Its a tough choice, however, I would go with option D because of the appropriate use of better parallelism 'young people have........grandparents had'

2. Option D and E out - passive construction
I eliminated option B because the meaning seems to have
chaned, it sounds as If the construction were a bridge and it was put up between the two years

Now between options A and C, I choose option C cause I feel the use of the 'for serving' is more appropriate than an infinitive 'to serve'

Gerunds - often used when actions are real, concrete or completed:
Ex-I stopped smoking. (The smoking was real and happened until I stopped.)
Infinitives - often used when actions are unreal, abstract, or future:
Ex-I stopped to smoke.(I was doing something else, and I stopped; the smoking had not happened yet.)

3. C sounds better than other options, but frankly am stumped.

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 11

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1014 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2009, 15:27
1) I choose D as my anwer choice. First of all, we're trying to modify "commitment", which is abstract. We use "smaller" to modify something that is physically tangible. For something as abstract as "commitment", "energy", "love", etc, using "less'' will be more appropriate. So that narrows our choices to B, D, and E. Also, the original sentence seems to compare "a smaller commitment and a career" to "their parents and grandparents." What the sentence is really trying to do is compare the action of the young people to the action of their parents and grandparents. So you will need to say, "young people have less.........than........their parents and grandparents had.

2) I choose A as my answer. The right idiom to use here is "concern about", so that narrows down our choice to A, B, and C. The present perfect is normally used to suggest an action that started in the past and is still continuing today. However, the action we're concerned with took place between 1876 and 1904, so we will need to use simple past rather than present perfect. The simple past suggests that the action was completed in the past and it's a done deal. We certainly know that we need to keep the verb in simple past because we're talking about something that took place between 1876 and 1904. So we are left with option A.

3) I choose option C as my answer. The problem with option D is that it's illogical to say that 33 percent came from nuclear power. 33 percent is not a living been that can move around, but it's rather a figure that appeared as a result of calculation. In general, you say that nuclear power accounts for 33% of the energy. Another example to say is that the U.S. prison accounts for 30% of the world's prisoners. However, you can't say that 30% of the world's prisoners come from the U.S. prison. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited by tarek99 on 09 Jun 2009, 09:00, edited 3 times in total.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2009, 08:35
OA are D, A, C.

I am not yet convinced with the expalanation for the second questions.

Is the placement of 'between 1876 and 1904' not weird in option A ?
if the usage of present perfect is more of a reason to elimate the option B, the answer surely is A.

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2009, 08:48
Neochronic wrote:
OA are D, A, C.

I am not yet convinced with the expalanation for the second questions.

Is the placement of 'between 1876 and 1904' not weird in option A ?
if the usage of present perfect is more of a reason to elimate the option B, the answer surely is A.

sorry, in my explanation for the second question, I accidently said past participle instead of present participle. I've corrected this mistake. Does my explanation still make sense? let me know.

To answer your question: no, the placement of "between 1876 and 1904" is not weird because it was placed right next to "construction." When you do that, "between 1876 and 1904" acts as a modifier, or an adverbial, modifying "construction" to say when exactly the construction took place. It is perfectly correct.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 750 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2009, 09:33
for 2 of 3 Qs:

sc-metropolitian-boston-77779.html

Bob’s explanation:
A. while in Germany it is just over 33 percent
B. compared to Germany, which uses just over 33 percent
C. whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany D. whereas just over 33 percent of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany
E. compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33 percent

A is wrong because it refers illogically to the subject of the preceding clause 75 percent of the energy produced in France. It makes no sense to say that 75 percent of the energy produced in France is just over 33 percent in Germany.

B is wrong because it compares 75 percent of the energy produced in France with Germany.

D is wrong because it says that 33 percent of the energy produced in France comes from nuclear power in Germany. How can energy produced in France come from Germany?

E is wrong because it is awkward and confusing, and specifically because the reference of the pronoun it is unclear. What is just over 33 percent? If it's nuclear power that's just over 33 percent, then just over 33 percent of what?

The correct response is C

http://gmatclub.com/forum/math-polygons-87336.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Kudos [?]: 750 [0], given: 17

Re: GMAT PREP SC questions..   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2009, 09:33

GMAT PREP SC questions..

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap