GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 08:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Leadership in Admissions

January 23, 2019

January 23, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Learn how to portray yourself as a leader in your MBA applications when you download this free guide!
  • No Stone Unturned: Your 2019/2020 MBA Application Starts Now!

January 24, 2019

January 24, 2019

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Planning to apply to business school in 2019 or 2020? It is not too early to start planning! By taking action now, you can dramatically improve your chances of gaining admission to a top MBA program.

GMAT - Query on college list based on profile and time

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
GMAT - Query on college list based on profile and time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 23:02
Hi,

I am trying for admission in a executive MBA program in the year 2020. I am yet to appear for the GMAT exam (planning to schedule GMAT exam around Jan, 2019 end).
Could you please advice me on the executive MBA programs in Finance based on my profile and the time constraints. Here is my profile:

10th (ICSE) - 81%
12 (CBSE) - 62%
B.E. (M.S. Ramaiah Institute Of Technology, Bangalore) - CGPA 7.75/10
Work Experience = 8 years (completes in Dec-2019). Domain: Insurance and Banking (8 years). Companies: IT Service companies and Investment Banks. Location: India

After having graduated from Electronics, I was able to quickly grasp the software coding concepts. I first got a chance to manage an offshore team of 2 people when my experience was around 2.5 years. Have been a lead since 3 years now, managing a team of 5 people on an average.
Lead the delivery of a 6 month project including 6 people while working for Deutsche Bank which involved knowledge of fees, rates, settlements and invoicing of various investment banking products.

My long term goal is to work on the consulting and management side of investment banking domain since I find it highly intriguing.

GMAT - yet to appear for the test. Planning to give the test by Jan-2019 end. Hoping to score somewhere between 650 - 700 based on the current prep.

The application deadlines are fast approaching. Need to understand which all universities can be targeted. Need to finalize a list of 10 best universities globally (Canada, France, UK, Germany, Australia, US) based on the above profile and time.
Director
Director
P
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: GMAT - Query on college list based on profile and time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 19:27
Hello Shashank

While I understand that at 30, you feel pressured by time, however, I would suggest you to be vary of the following-

1) Deadlines are not fast approaching- for someone taking the GMAT in Jan 2020, most deadlines will be sometime in Aug 2019- which gives you 5-6 months for the applications. As a thumb rule, I'd say you need 3 months to apply to 4-5 schools. (This depends on your schedule and the quality of work you will be able to put in). The above applies if you are applying to Indian/US or most such schools where the program begins in Apr (India) or Sep (US and many other schools). However, if you plan to apply to schools for the Jan 2020 intake, then the situation might be different.
2) If applying for the Sep intake, do not rush your GMAT, you will be in a good position even if you are done with the GMAT by Mar/Apr. This gives you time to target a higher score and further improve your profile.
3) Your goals look weak as they stand now. Have you done your research that such a switch is possible, considering your professional background and more importantly age? The list of schools will highly depend on your goals.
4) Focus on adding some extracurricular to the profile- these help add diversity to the otherwise over-represented Indian Male Engineer profile.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

shashank.dba@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

I am trying for admission in a executive MBA program in the year 2020. I am yet to appear for the GMAT exam (planning to schedule GMAT exam around Jan, 2019 end).
Could you please advice me on the executive MBA programs in Finance based on my profile and the time constraints. Here is my profile:

10th (ICSE) - 81%
12 (CBSE) - 62%
Work Experience = 8 years (completes in Dec-2019). Domain: Insurance and Banking (8 years). Companies: IT Service companies and Investment Banks. Location: India

After having graduated from Electronics, I was able to quickly grasp the software coding concepts. I first got a chance to manage an offshore team of 2 people when my experience was around 2.5 years. Have been a lead since 3 years now, managing a team of 5 people on an average.
Lead the delivery of a 6 month project including 6 people while working for Deutsche Bank which involved knowledge of fees, rates, settlements and invoicing of various investment banking products.

My long term goal is to work on the consulting and management side of investment banking domain since I find it highly intriguing.

GMAT - yet to appear for the test. Planning to give the test by Jan-2019 end. Hoping to score somewhere between 650 - 700 based on the current prep.

The application deadlines are fast approaching. Need to understand which all universities can be targeted. Need to finalize a list of 10 best universities globally (Canada, France, UK, Germany, Australia, US) based on the above profile and time.

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Admission Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 23:00
Hi,

10th (ICSE) - 81%
12 (CBSE) - 62%

Hi,
I have a few things to say that can add clarity to your understanding of the MB
1. I think you are mixing up fulltime MBA and eMBA. An eMBA is the MBA degree where you continue to work while studying. You would have classes every few weeks. A full time MBA is an immersive experience- you only study and do take part in activities/internships included in the curriculum.

2. At 650-700, your GMAT score will be average for an Indian guy, which is the most competitive pool of applicants in the world :). Any Chinese contenders here?

3. Your career goals need deep analysis and probing. Merely being intrigued by industry is not reason enough to join it. B-schools would want to see some past relevant experience and skill set for them to be convinced. Its hard to say without knowing the exact nature of your work, but just working with an investment bank on their IT development work may not be a strong enough reason to work in the front office. These are some thoughts for you to probe further. Presenting believable and logical career goals is crucial for have a positive result in the application process.

4. And as pointed out above, most US MBA deadlines will be over for this year by Jan end. Its never helpful to apply in the third round, so if you are looking at those deadlines, reconsider. However b-schools such as Ivey, Queens will have deadlines Feb onwards, so these will be worth targeting. Also a lot of the European MBAs have rolling deadlines, so you should still keep an eye out for them.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Our new book on AMAZON Kindle: THE MOST DEFINITIVE GUIDE FOR MBA INTERVIEW PREPARATION

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2018, 00:45
Thanks for the analysis and insight.

I am looking to target Jan 2020 intake. As the location is an important factor while considering universities due to varying norms of work permit, I need to understand and filter them based on the ease of getting long term work permit post studies. Not too sure how easy or difficult it is to get an H1B in US post studies.

In addition to the above, I am also looking for courses which conduct classes on all weekdays and does not require students to have a job while studying (as in some EMBA courses). The main motive is to get the concepts comprehensibly along with proper internships, projects and connections.

I have undertaken few voluntary extracurricular activities as well. Kindly suggest the colleges and the respective GMAT score based on the general competition of such a profile.

I have been reading in various posts that it is not easy/feasible to jump from IT to consulting after 8 years of exp. Please advise on how difficult it is for a such a profile to get the switch from IT to the management/consulting side.
Admission Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2018, 01:28
I am looking to target Jan 2020 intake. As the location is an important factor while considering universities due to varying norms of work permit, I need to understand and filter them based on the ease of getting long term work permit post studies. Not too sure how easy or difficult it is to get an H1B in US post studies.

Consider Canada, Australia. Indians are able to find jobs with no visa hassels in some European countries as well.

In addition to the above, I am also looking for courses which conduct classes on all weekdays and does not require students to have a job while studying (as in some EMBA courses). The main motive is to get the concepts comprehensibly along with proper internships, projects and connections.

yes, as an international student, traveling for classes can be extremely expensive and infeasible if your company is not sponsoring you.

I have been reading in various posts that it is not easy/feasible to jump from IT to consulting after 8 years of exp. Please advise on how difficult it is for a such a profile to get the switch from IT to the management/consulting side.

You can relate this with how it works for a regular job. Every company wants to hire a professional who is ready to heavy lift from day 1. The skills you have built in past 8 years experience should still be relevant in your future job, while the MBA degree will prepare you for more challenging roles, with some leeway for a career change. It might make better sense to talk about IT consulting, but as I said earlier, more thought has to go into the goals. You should explore what best suits you given your past experience, interest and skill set.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Our new book on AMAZON Kindle: THE MOST DEFINITIVE GUIDE FOR MBA INTERVIEW PREPARATION

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT - Query on college list based on profile and time &nbs [#permalink] 24 Dec 2018, 01:28

GMAT - Query on college list based on profile and time

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap