Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Scores stuck at 600 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi 1988achilles,

From your last post, there are a number of different 'issues' that you have to deal with.

1) Since you've named some specific Schools, you should be able to research each of them so that you can get a better sense of what GMAT score you would need to earn to be a competitive applicant.
2) If you are thinking about applying to other Schools, then you really have to define what YOU want out of your MBA (the more specific that you can be with those details, the easier it should be to find other Schools/Programs that match what you're looking for).
3) Raising your score 100 points in 2-3 weeks will likely be difficult, especially since you've spent 3 months getting to this 'level.' By extension, an application deadline really does not matter if you don't have a high-enough GMAT score. This is meant to say that you might want to consider a later application Round (so that you have more time to continue studying and improve).
4) Many of your practice CAT scores are higher than your Official GMAT Scores, but did you take those practice CATs in a realistic way that 'matched up' with what you faced on the Official GMAT? If your CATs were taken in an un-realistic way, then the score results are likely 'off.'
5) With a V24 on the Official GMAT, you are missing serious points in ALL 3 Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR). You are also likely facing some issues with your endurance and fatigue on Test Day.

Thankfully, all of this can be dealt with and improved, but you likely need far more time than you've given yourself.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello Rich,

1. Based on my career goals, I have decided to go for 1 year MBA program.
2. I understand that college deadlines holds no value till the time I get a good GMAT score and that is where my focus is currently. I need help in understanding how should I plan my studies so that I can achieve 80-100 points increase. All my CATs were given in realistic condition (Similar to actual GMAT ). The point difference between GMAT prep score and other CATs scores can be because I completed both the GMAT prep exams in November, while I gave CATs in December.
3. One major question is that is 100 point increase possible in 1 month time? If yes, then what should be the strategy since I have identified most of my problem areas.

Regards.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi 1988achilles,

From your last post, there are a number of different 'issues' that you have to deal with.

1) Since you've named some specific Schools, you should be able to research each of them so that you can get a better sense of what GMAT score you would need to earn to be a competitive applicant.
2) If you are thinking about applying to other Schools, then you really have to define what YOU want out of your MBA (the more specific that you can be with those details, the easier it should be to find other Schools/Programs that match what you're looking for).
3) Raising your score 100 points in 2-3 weeks will likely be difficult, especially since you've spent 3 months getting to this 'level.' By extension, an application deadline really does not matter if you don't have a high-enough GMAT score. This is meant to say that you might want to consider a later application Round (so that you have more time to continue studying and improve).
4) Many of your practice CAT scores are higher than your Official GMAT Scores, but did you take those practice CATs in a realistic way that 'matched up' with what you faced on the Official GMAT? If your CATs were taken in an un-realistic way, then the score results are likely 'off.'
5) With a V24 on the Official GMAT, you are missing serious points in ALL 3 Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR). You are also likely facing some issues with your endurance and fatigue on Test Day.

Thankfully, all of this can be dealt with and improved, but you likely need far more time than you've given yourself.

Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hi Achilles,

You need to really focus on those SC medium level questions. At your level, you'll want to master the easy and medium ones -- because the chance that you will get a hard SC question if you are not getting all the easy/medium ones right is quite slim. So get some practice with the SC Practice Pill Platform:https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/gmat-sentence-correction-questions - Sign up for a free account and check it out.

You'll also want to adjust your thinking process. Clearly, the approach you are using now isn't working for you -- so try out some new approaches. For example, does this CR video help? https://www.gmatpill.com/criticalreasoni ... Estate.mp4
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi 1988achilles,

I have a few questions about how you took your practice CATs.

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?

An increase of 100 points in one month will be difficult, but not impossible. Keep in mind that 'your way' of studying has earned you the same 600 score both times that you've taken the Official GMAT, so beyond learning/practicing some new Tactics, we would have to figure out what aspects of Test Day you're not properly training for and then add those training tasks to your study plan. With a goal score of 700+, you will likely need more time than you've allotted.

1) How much time can you commit to studying each week?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello Rich,

The answers are:

When you took your CATs: ALL CATs were taken in December.
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)? Yes, I took the entire CAT as the actual GMAT. including essay and IR.
2) Did you take them at home? Yes, those tests were taken at home.
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT? Partial, Yes. Most of them were taken at late night hours.
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)? No, I took these CATs as actual CATs i.e. no skipping section, no longer breaks etc
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? No, once I completed CAT, I dedicated 2-3 hours on review.

I am aware that "my current way" of learning will not help much and hence I am looking for expert help to plan my strategies for achieving 700 GMAT score (100 point increase in a month).

I can dedicate 2-3 hours during weekdays and 6-9 hours on weekends.

Regards.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi 1988achilles,

I have a few questions about how you took your practice CATs.

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?

An increase of 100 points in one month will be difficult, but not impossible. Keep in mind that 'your way' of studying has earned you the same 600 score both times that you've taken the Official GMAT, so beyond learning/practicing some new Tactics, we would have to figure out what aspects of Test Day you're not properly training for and then add those training tasks to your study plan. With a goal score of 700+, you will likely need more time than you've allotted.

1) How much time can you commit to studying each week?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello GMATPill,

Thank you for the response.

I have taken note and will start focusing on easy and medium difficult level question and thereby moving on hard level.

Regards.

GMATPill wrote:
Hi Achilles,

You need to really focus on those SC medium level questions. At your level, you'll want to master the easy and medium ones -- because the chance that you will get a hard SC question if you are not getting all the easy/medium ones right is quite slim. So get some practice with the SC Practice Pill Platform:https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/gmat-sentence-correction-questions - Sign up for a free account and check it out.

You'll also want to adjust your thinking process. Clearly, the approach you are using now isn't working for you -- so try out some new approaches. For example, does this CR video help? https://www.gmatpill.com/criticalreasoni ... Estate.mp4
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi 1988achilles,

From your last post, there are a couple of 'red flags' in regards to how you took your CATs (relative to what you had to face on Test Day:

1) Taking your CATs at home is NOT realistic. On Test Day, you have to get dressed and bring all of your materials to a Testing Center, travel for a certain amount of time, and deal with all of the 'steps' involved with getting into the Computer Lab.
2) Unless you took your GMAT at a late hour, taking your CATs at a late hour is not realistic. You were training yourself to perform at a certain level at a certain time of day. Taking your GMAT at a different time of day likely impacted your performance (since you were not necessarily used to taking a CAT at that specific time).

There might also be other factors that you're not accounting for. Considering all of this new information, you will probably need more than 1 month's time to hit your score goals.

1) If you don't score close to your score goals in a month, how will that impact your application timeline? Will you apply during a later Round (or next year)?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello Rich,

I understand and will give CATs on the time of my actual GMAT.

Yes, if I dont score well in the next attempt, I will take a break for 2-3 months and then start again with my preparation. However, I do not want to delay my MBA plans further and would like to join in 2016 because of my few personal commitments.

Hence, for now my focus is to fine tune my strategy and prepare to score 680+ in the next attempt and that is where I am needing your advise.

Regards,
Yash

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi 1988achilles,

From your last post, there are a couple of 'red flags' in regards to how you took your CATs (relative to what you had to face on Test Day:

1) Taking your CATs at home is NOT realistic. On Test Day, you have to get dressed and bring all of your materials to a Testing Center, travel for a certain amount of time, and deal with all of the 'steps' involved with getting into the Computer Lab.
2) Unless you took your GMAT at a late hour, taking your CATs at a late hour is not realistic. You were training yourself to perform at a certain level at a certain time of day. Taking your GMAT at a different time of day likely impacted your performance (since you were not necessarily used to taking a CAT at that specific time).

There might also be other factors that you're not accounting for. Considering all of this new information, you will probably need more than 1 month's time to hit your score goals.

1) If you don't score close to your score goals in a month, how will that impact your application timeline? Will you apply during a later Round (or next year)?

Rich
GMAT Club Bot