It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 05:24

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Great Overall But Screwed Up Integrated Reasoning, Does IR Matter Now?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Great Overall But Screwed Up Integrated Reasoning, Does IR Matter Now? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 10:54
Hi all, thanks so much for offering to help. I know this question has been asked a number of times on this forum, but I wanted to make sure I had the most up-to-date perspective on how much the Integrated Reasoning score matters for M7 admissions. Here's my situation: I took the GMAT for the first time in the past week, and exceeded my expectations overall with a 760 (50 M and 87%, 44 V and 98%) and an AWA essay that I feel fairly confident will be a 5.5 or a 6.0.

But I somehow managed to tank the IR section with a 4.0 (40%), even though I had consistently been scoring 7's and 8's in my practice CATs. Not sure what happened there -- I didn't feel nervous or anything, so it may have just been bad luck and silly mistakes...

In any case, I'm applying to schools at the top of the top -- my top choices are HBS, GSB and Sloan. The rest of my profile is quirky but pretty solid: top Ivy League undergrad with a 3.9+ GPA in a social science, then 3 years working in corporate development for a tech company, then a year of entrepreneurial experience.

My big question is this: given that the rest of my profile is strong academically, how much does this crappy IR score matter? Previous forum responses from the past few years have varied, but now that schools have had five years of data, I'm worried that they will consider the IR score more heavily. I have a busy summer ahead and am hoping to apply Round 1 -- just trying to figure out whether changing adcom attitudes toward the IR section mean that it makes sense for me to retake for the IR score.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 25

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Great Overall But Screwed Up Integrated Reasoning, Does IR Matter Now? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 11:08
Hi,
IR score doesnot match that much yar.. No need to get worried..

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 25

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Re: Great Overall But Screwed Up Integrated Reasoning, Does IR Matter Now? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 15:31
You have an amazing profile and a top flight score on the GMAT. Your IR score will be the least of their worries given you scored a 760. I would not worry about this and instead just focus on putting together a great application

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 13:52
Really appreciate that feedback VeritasPrepDozie! Helps put my mind at ease. I don't think I'll retake, then, unless any of the other experts have any intel to the contrary from any adcoms...

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 05:26
You should be ok - a 760 is a great score to have. Besides, your undergrad GPA, nature of work, and performance at work will ensure that you have an overall strong application.

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.

If you like this post - please give us kudos :) Thanks much!

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

resh: 621

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 09:05
cogitoergosum1 wrote:
Hi all, thanks so much for offering to help. I know this question has been asked a number of times on this forum, but I wanted to make sure I had the most up-to-date perspective on how much the Integrated Reasoning score matters for M7 admissions. Here's my situation: I took the GMAT for the first time in the past week, and exceeded my expectations overall with a 760 (50 M and 87%, 44 V and 98%) and an AWA essay that I feel fairly confident will be a 5.5 or a 6.0.

But I somehow managed to tank the IR section with a 4.0 (40%), even though I had consistently been scoring 7's and 8's in my practice CATs. Not sure what happened there -- I didn't feel nervous or anything, so it may have just been bad luck and silly mistakes...

In any case, I'm applying to schools at the top of the top -- my top choices are HBS, GSB and Sloan. The rest of my profile is quirky but pretty solid: top Ivy League undergrad with a 3.9+ GPA in a social science, then 3 years working in corporate development for a tech company, then a year of entrepreneurial experience.

My big question is this: given that the rest of my profile is strong academically, how much does this crappy IR score matter? Previous forum responses from the past few years have varied, but now that schools have had five years of data, I'm worried that they will consider the IR score more heavily. I have a busy summer ahead and am hoping to apply Round 1 -- just trying to figure out whether changing adcom attitudes toward the IR section mean that it makes sense for me to retake for the IR score.

Intern
Intern
B

resh: 621

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 09:06
cogitoergosum1 wrote:

I scored 720 (Q49 75%, V40 97%) and an IR score of 2.0. I was at a loss after seeing my IR score, because I had been scoring decently in my mocks. I plan to apply to the top schools, especially to quant heavy programs like those of Sloan. Should I work on IR and quant a bit more and retake the test to apply in round 2?

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 19:13
Hey reshmapalackan honestly that will depend on your profile. You are targeting a school like Sloan and if you look at their avg GMAT score you are already below that, now your IR score is not the most important of the scores but couple a low IR with a below avg GMAT then things start piling up for you. But again a final answer would really depend on the rest of your profile

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 1002 [0], given: 49

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 14:12
cogitoergosum1 wrote:

Not at all. A 760 is great. And you didn't get a 1 or a 2. You're good to go.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 1002 [0], given: 49

Re: Great Overall But Screwed Up Integrated Reasoning, Does IR Matter Now?   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2017, 14:12

Great Overall But Screwed Up Integrated Reasoning, Does IR Matter Now?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap