GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 17:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016

post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 17:28
reesespieces2521 wrote:
Just a thought, but I heard from a couple of admissions friends at other schools that most go through a computerized vetting process for first wave interviews and invite individuals with above average metrics: GMAT 730+, GPA 3.7+, and then the second wave of invitations is for those with different distinguishable characteristics like work experience, leadership experience, essay? Was anyone here invited with a GMAT or GPA below the HBS Medians? Considering these are medians, there does need to be people out there with 690-720 GMAT scores, etc. right?

I hope (and I think) this isn't true. If it's true then it means I'm already rejected, since I have the right stats and received no invite.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 17:40
Timmy and Dinho's posts comforted me (doesn't misery love company?), so I thought I'd share my story quickly.

Harv undergrad, GMAT and GPA both above HBS' medians, great work experience with tons of international work and multiple promotions, some truly exceptional extra currics (not trying to win humility awards here, just being honest), and a well-executed application. No invite today.

I don't feel entitled to get into HBS, but it will sting if I'm not even considered "competitive" for admission. Here's to next week and hoping the admissions season only gets better from here...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.98
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 18:01
I would encourage everyone not to be disheartened as well. The past is not always the best indicator of the future. HBS makes changes every year to the way it approaches admissions - the reduction to 1 essay and 2 recommenders is a great example. Just because most of the interview invites were sent out on the first date last year doesn't mean it will be the case this year.

Just FYI - I also submitted what I and other HBS/Ivy grads considered to be a very strong essay. I have above average GPA and GMAT stats for HBS and come from an underrepresented industry (oil & gas and alternative energy).

If I don't get an interview, then it just wasn't meant to be; but I am definitely not admitting defeat just yet.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.81

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 18:16
dwal44 wrote:
Timmy and Dinho's posts comforted me (doesn't misery love company?), so I thought I'd share my story quickly.

Harv undergrad, GMAT and GPA both above HBS' medians, great work experience with tons of international work and multiple promotions, some truly exceptional extra currics (not trying to win humility awards here, just being honest), and a well-executed application. No invite today.

I don't feel entitled to get into HBS, but it will sting if I'm not even considered "competitive" for admission. Here's to next week and hoping the admissions season only gets better from here...

concur. For myself: I am female, 29yr, 730, gpa 3.8 , law graduate from top law schools from both civil and common law system ( Master degree from Oxbridge), H.K qualified lawyer, trained at the top 3 international law firm in both Great China and London, lots of high profile Capital market, M&A transactions in Europe and Great China (several deals got reported on front page of Financial Times.
Strong essays and recommendations this year. But I am a re-app, dinged w/o interview last year and also heard nothing last night. =(
I guess maybe because I am too old for HBS and a reapp ? :( :(
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.79

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 18:56
lostkiki wrote:
concur. For myself: I am female, 29yr, 730, gpa 3.8 , law graduate from top law schools from both civil and common law system ( Master degree from Oxbridge), H.K qualified lawyer, trained at the top 3 international law firm in both Great China and London, lots of high profile Capital market, M&A transactions in Europe and Great China (several deals got reported on front page of Financial Times.
Strong essays and recommendations this year. But I am a re-app, dinged w/o interview last year and also heard nothing last night. =(

Goodness. It's hard to say. I'm a bit older than you at 32 (NY attorney & private equity background, educated at a law school that basically produces high court justices and prime ministers on a very regular basis), so I'm not sure if age is the primary reason for you getting dinged last year. I'm not going to go into the whole stats guessing game here, because no one can really know what goes on in the minds of HBS' adcom.

All I can say is, hang tight and good luck, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised on Oct 16!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 19:39
Got an interview invite today. Super excited as I have a low GMAT.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 19:47
ktlee1981 wrote:
lostkiki wrote:

Goodness. It's hard to say. I'm a bit older than you at 32 (NY attorney & private equity background, educated at a law school that basically produces high court justices and prime ministers on a very regular basis), so I'm not sure if age is the primary reason for you getting dinged last year. I'm not going to go into the whole stats guessing game here, because no one can really know what goes on in the minds of HBS' adcom.

All I can say is, hang tight and good luck, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised on Oct 16!

Thanks for your kind words, hoping for the best! and congrats to your invites! :-D (btw I feel very few lawyers apply for B-school, most of them go for J.D..)
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 20:01
I'm almost 30 and a mother of two kids, Sandy from hbsguru has said working mom isn't HBS's deal... :(
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 20:19
lindalibinbin wrote:
I'm almost 30 and a mother of two kids, Sandy from hbsguru has said working mom isn't HBS's deal... :(

Well just hope for the wave 2 , one week to go!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 20:35
timmy33 wrote:
Maybe this isn't the place for this, but I'm kinda bummed. Not to sound entitled, but I was expecting to hear good news from HBS today. Instead, I have not heard anything yet.

I got a 750, had a 3.7 GPA from a top 25 school and worked at McKinsey for 2 years. Further, I think, based on feedback from recent MBA grads, that I had a compelling career story / essays too! Any chance I am missing the email? Any way that I can understand better why I didn't hear back? Obvs still have a chance on 10/16.

Congrats to those in the gmatclub community that got interviews!

I totally hear you! No invite for me either today; I definitely had good "stats" - 3.9 from ivy, 750+, w/e in p.e. HBS is tough, plus I didn't think my essay was good enough and I was a reapplicant, so I wasnt too bummed about it since I wasnt expecting one to begin with. Lets hope our other schools give us better news :-D

Congrats to those who got interviews
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '16 (D)

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 22:01
Does anyone know the break up of invites for wave 1 and wave 2 ?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 22:29
yadvinder wrote:
Does anyone know the break up of invites for wave 1 and wave 2 ?

No one knows for sure. Last year it was 800 for Wave 1, and 100 for Wave 2. This year - who knows... any guesses would be pure speculation.
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '16 (D)

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 23:01
wow..800 and 100 is too skewed towards the wave 1. Hope its more towards 50-50 breakup this time around.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 23:25
Feeling disappointed too - no email..
I am a re-applicant - and last year i was interviewed. So double disappointment this year, since I really thought that my application was better..

Does anybody know is a re-applicant has less chances?
Intern
Intern
queries re: interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2013, 01:22
Congrats to all those who got accepted, and good luck to the rest for Wave 2!

I had a couple of questions regarding interviews, was hoping someone could answer them:

1) So I'm deciding between flying to an interview location/skype interview. Does the forum feel it hurts one's chances if interviews are done on skype? What are some of the cons? Have acceptance rates been lower for skype interviewees, as compared to those who interviewed in person?

2) What is the probability of people getting accepted from the interview phase? as in, 1 in how many candidates gets in, historically.

3) In the interview phase, is decision based solely on the basis of interview performance? or are factors already considered in app processing, part of the evaluation in this phase too? (GMAT/work experience etc)

Thanks!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2013, 05:38
Come on guys, hang in there. It is not yet over. Your chances of getting into HBS were pretty much sealed at the point of clicking the "submit" button. Many of you guys will surely get the interview invite next week; I can bet my hats on that, and my hats a pretty much precious to me... :)

Congrats to those who have gotten the invite and best of luck to the rest of you. When the invites come in next week, you will probably savor it more than those who received theirs yesterday. Some of the profiles here are quite intimidating and it makes sense now why the admission process is so tough. I will be humbled to be a part of this class.

Blog updated: July 27, 2014
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2013, 06:04
For a little context:
Last year 15% of GMAT Club's R1 applicants were invited to interview (see link below) compared to only 8% this year, thus far. I completely realize this isn't a perfect comparison (last year's GMAT Club looks stronger), but I thought I'd share.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/harvard-2013-hbs-calling-all-applicants-134055.html
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.89
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2013, 07:15
Sure way to know how many invites were sent out would be to ask those who's gotten interview invites to check how many interview slots are signed up by the end of the sign up period. Anyone?

That doesn't actually affect your own probability of receiving an invite, all these fretting is pretty much meaningless after you hit the submit button and before you receive a decision. But does shed some light on the probability that they have already read your application. Again, it's meaningless because it doesn't affect the outcome either way. But the fact is that the application has been so consuming there's no way I can stop reading into what I know to be meaningless.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2013, 07:38
reesespieces2521 wrote:
Just a thought, but I heard from a couple of admissions friends at other schools that most go through a computerized vetting process for first wave interviews and invite individuals with above average metrics: GMAT 730+, GPA 3.7+, and then the second wave of invitations is for those with different distinguishable characteristics like work experience, leadership experience, essay? Was anyone here invited with a GMAT or GPA below the HBS Medians? Considering these are medians, there does need to be people out there with 690-720 GMAT scores, etc. right?

I got an invite with a 710 and a GPA that placed me in the top quarter of my class (international applicant, we don't measure GPAs in the same scale), both of which below median.
I seriously don't think any top MBA would run a computerized vetting algorithm, particularly not HBS, with their drift towards a more open and flexible admission process
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.89
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2013, 07:39
DeltaOfOne wrote:
For a little context:
Last year 15% of GMAT Club's R1 applicants were invited to interview (see link below) compared to only 8% this year, thus far. I completely realize this isn't a perfect comparison (last year's GMAT Club looks stronger), but I thought I'd share.

This is actually pretty encouraging. I don't think it matters that it is not a "perfect" comparison. When the sample size is large enough it doesn't matter i.e. last year's GMATClub members may look stronger based on stats (higher GMAT/GPA averages etc) but that can be cancelled out by other stuff not captured on paper.

More importantly, 8% is way below the expected value of ~18% interviewed for the intake (might be higher for round 1).

Lastly, this is completely meaningless and waste of my time when I have real work to do. But this whole bsch affair is like taking drugs. And refreshing the GMATClub forums is like taking small doses of it. Sure I'd like to take a huge hit (getting the invite), but that's not available right now. And I rather refresh GMATClub forums than deal with real life right now.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2013, 07:39

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  55    Next  [ 1094 posts ] 

Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sroy4