Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Na
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Na
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Therealharsh wrote:
I started food manufacturing Business with my dad when i was in 12th

25% of my own capital and 75% my dad

(I earned that from doing social media agency at the age of 17)

Today it’s doing turnover of Rs. 12Cr (1.5 Million USD)

I’ve written a book and I’m planning to write 2 more in the next 2 years

I’ve already given a Tedx Talk

And i’m in 1st year of BBA from Manipal university (which i’m doing an Online degree which is Naac A++ accredited)

And i’ll easily get 90% - 95% (equivalent to 4.0 GPA+ in US education system)

And i’ve 3 years to prepare for GMAT so I’m confident that i can get 730+ score

What do you guys this my chances are for harward/Stanford/kellog ?

Thanks for reading, will appreciate your opinion…

Posted from my mobile device

You have a decent profile here.

Academic Background: Maintain your strong academic performance in your BBA program from Manipal University, and aim for a high GMAT score (730+). Consider taking additional quantitative or business-related courses from reputable institutions to supplement your online degree and demonstrate your commitment to academic excellence.

Professional Experience: Continue to grow and develop your food manufacturing business, focusing on quantifiable achievements and impact. Seek opportunities to expand your leadership experience, such as taking on new roles or mentoring others in the industry. Think of new product lines and expand the business. Look at partnerships. Show leadership in your own industry and your role.

Extracurricular Activities: Leverage your authorship and TEDx Talk experience to engage in thought leadership within your industry or area of interest. Consider becoming more involved in community service or taking on leadership roles in non-profit organizations to demonstrate your commitment to making a positive impact beyond your professional endeavours.

Networking: Begin networking with current students, alumni, and faculty from HBS, Stanford GSB, and Kellogg. Building these connections will provide valuable insights into each program's culture and expectations, and demonstrate your genuine interest in attending these schools.

Of course, keep focusing on the GMAT and aim for a 750+. Aim for the 2+2 program in your last year.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
GyanOne wrote:
Therealharsh wrote:
I started food manufacturing Business with my dad when i was in 12th

25% of my own capital and 75% my dad

(I earned that from doing social media agency at the age of 17)

Today it’s doing turnover of Rs. 12Cr (1.5 Million USD)

I’ve written a book and I’m planning to write 2 more in the next 2 years

I’ve already given a Tedx Talk

And i’m in 1st year of BBA from Manipal university (which i’m doing an Online degree which is Naac A++ accredited)

And i’ll easily get 90% - 95% (equivalent to 4.0 GPA+ in US education system)

And i’ve 3 years to prepare for GMAT so I’m confident that i can get 730+ score

What do you guys this my chances are for harward/Stanford/kellog ?

Thanks for reading, will appreciate your opinion…

You have a decent profile here.

Academic Background: Maintain your strong academic performance in your BBA program from Manipal University, and aim for a high GMAT score (730+). Consider taking additional quantitative or business-related courses from reputable institutions to supplement your online degree and demonstrate your commitment to academic excellence.

Professional Experience: Continue to grow and develop your food manufacturing business, focusing on quantifiable achievements and impact. Seek opportunities to expand your leadership experience, such as taking on new roles or mentoring others in the industry. Think of new product lines and expand the business. Look at partnerships. Show leadership in your own industry and your role.

Extracurricular Activities: Leverage your authorship and TEDx Talk experience to engage in thought leadership within your industry or area of interest. Consider becoming more involved in community service or taking on leadership roles in non-profit organizations to demonstrate your commitment to making a positive impact beyond your professional endeavours.

Networking: Begin networking with current students, alumni, and faculty from HBS, Stanford GSB, and Kellogg. Building these connections will provide valuable insights into each program's culture and expectations, and demonstrate your genuine interest in attending these schools.

Of course, keep focusing on the GMAT and aim for a 750+. Aim for the 2+2 program in your last year.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What is 2+2 program?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey, i started a Food manufacturing business with my dad when i was in 12th grade (higher secondary school)

Then i took a year gap before going for my undergrad…

Today my company does Rs. 12Cr (1.5 Million USD) in Revenue yearly

• i’ve written a book
• i’ve been a Tedx speaker

I started my 3 year undergrad degree online which is Naac A++ Accredited (which Is accepted at Ivy Leagues)

I’m in 1st year right now…

I’m planning to write 2 books, in the upcoming years and i’ll have 2 years to prepare for Gmat (i can get 730+ I’m confident)

And i’ll have 5 years of experience by the time I apply for these schools

Also i’ve 102k followers on twitter right now and 150k followers on instagram

Do you think i stand a chance at Harvard/Stanford/kellogg?

Also, does building my business along with the degree counts as work experience right? Or i’ll have to get a job after undergrad?

As I’m seeing whole sales & marketing for my company while my father oversees the operations…

So it will be impossible for me to get a job at any other company (not to mention stupid)

Any feedback will be appreciated,

Thanks 😊 🙏

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Kudos
IMHO, a strong GPA (3.5+) and a strong GMAT score (750+) for an Indian male would be almost an essential. Work experience gets counted only post your bachelors education. Other credentials (book, TEDx, followers) will help - however, nothing will work if your plans on 'why MBA, why now (ie then)' are not clear and convincing.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Merging this profile request into the HBS profile topic. 😇

Intern
Intern
Send PM
dee1pug1 wrote:
IMHO, a strong GPA (3.5+) and a strong GMAT score (750+) for an Indian male would be almost an essential. Work experience gets counted only post your bachelors education. Other credentials (book, TEDx, followers) will help - however, nothing will work if your plans on 'why MBA, why now (ie then)' are not clear and convincing.

So like, me starting my own factory and I already have 3 years of work experience running my factory

Will that not count?

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi. You have a great and uniques profile. Fantastic achievements and a great job doing so much!

Something to keep in mind:

It is tricky to have a business you start with family. It is not clear to AdCom did you put in 50% contribution to the growth or 5%?

Also tricky for a letter of recommendation if it is your dad who will be writing it.

Also the goals should be clear - why you are getting an MBA?

PS. Don’t spend more than 3-4 months studying for the GMAT.

Therealharsh wrote:
Hey, i started a Food manufacturing business with my dad when i was in 12th grade (higher secondary school)

• i’ve written a book

I started my 3 year undergrad degree online which is Naac A++ Accredited (which Is accepted at Ivy Leagues)

I’m planning to write 2 books, in the upcoming years and i’ll have 2 years to prepare for Gmat (i can get 730+ I’m confident)

Also, does building my business along with the degree counts as work experience right? Or i’ll have to get a job after undergrad?

As I’m seeing whole sales & marketing for my company while my father oversees the operations…

So it will be impossible for me to get a job at any other company (not to mention stupid)

Thanks 😊 🙏

Intern
Intern
Send PM
How do i prove that i build the whole distribution channel by literally travelling all parts of the country closing leads…

I’ve added 200 distributors so far. And added 4 products in our SKQs which has been very successful so far…

And my dad took care of production and logistics

But yea, i seem clueless now… what should i do?

By the way, on paper i do own 40% equity of the company.

bb wrote:
Hi. You have a great and uniques profile. Fantastic achievements and a great job doing so much!

Something to keep in mind:

It is tricky to have a business you start with family. It is not clear to AdCom did you put in 50% contribution to the growth or 5%?

Also tricky for a letter of recommendation if it is your dad who will be writing it.

Also the goals should be clear - why you are getting an MBA?

PS. Don’t spend more than 3-4 months studying for the GMAT.

Therealharsh wrote:

• i’ve written a book

Thanks 😊 🙏

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Congratulations on an excellent GMAT score. Please do highlight the leadership positions held in your career while submitting the Work Resume. All the Best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Figured I'd post some high-level details and get folks to weigh in:

25 y/o LGBTQ+ Asian F

GMAT: 770 (Q48 V48)

GPA: 3.75 from US News T10 School

Work Experience: Product Manager with a social impact-focus tech company (think like Watershed, Kiva, etc.). Promoted from a Strategy & Ops role after 1 year -- very fast for the company. Started career in MBB / T2 consulting and was top-rated before I left. 4 YoE at matriculation. Very strong work impact, my projects are consistently highlighted in national news.

Extracurriculars: Lead impact investing for my tech company with strong ROI. Co-founded and advised an education nonprofit, volunteer in local education initiatives. Lead ERGs at work with high exec visibility, including LGBTQ+ stuff :-). Admissions for UG. Athlete.

Anything I should focus on? Also I'm a reapplicant (submitted for 2+2 years ago), is there an essay or anything I should know about?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
earthgirlie wrote:

25 y/o LGBTQ+ Asian F

Work Experience: Product Manager with a social impact-focus tech company (think like Watershed, Kiva, etc.). Promoted from a Strategy & Ops role after 1 year -- very fast for the company. Started career in MBB / T2 consulting and was top-rated before I left. 4 YoE at matriculation. Very strong work impact, my projects are consistently highlighted in national news.

Extracurriculars: Lead impact investing for my tech company with strong ROI. Co-founded and advised an education nonprofit, volunteer in local education initiatives. Lead ERGs at work with high exec visibility, including LGBTQ+ stuff :-). Admissions for UG. Athlete.

Anything I should focus on? Also I'm a reapplicant (submitted for 2+2 years ago), is there an essay or anything I should know about?

Hey earthgirlie,

Your profile holds a strong potential for elite schools, given your impressive 770 GMAT score and a 3.75 GPA. Key to enhancing your application is crafting a narrative that threads together your achievements and future aspirations, while clearly demonstrating why studying at these schools is the next step for you.

Highlight your leadership influence; perhaps if you grew ERGs by 40% or elevated participation by 50% then share that. In fact, share accomplishments where you had a tangible impact, such as increasing revenue by 30% or boosting project efficiency. Recommendations should echo these successes while also portraying your personal growth and leadership potential.

Embrace your reapplicant status, illuminating how your role has expanded or new skills acquired since the previous application. Be prepared to discuss these developments, along with your career goals, during the interview.

Your unique identity as an Asian woman in tech and a member of the LGBTQ+ community should be emphasised, showing how these have shaped your experiences and perspectives. Also, share instances where you made strategic contributions or guided colleagues, illustrating your problem-solving and mentoring abilities.

Remember, the admissions panel wants a holistic view, so share your leadership style, decision-making process, and values, thus exhibiting your individuality and leadership prowess. With your strong profile and these enhancements, your chances of acceptance can significantly improve.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey earthgirlie,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

We'd be happy to evaluate your profile for admission to the HBS MBA program and provide some guidance. Your profile looks good on the surface. Starting with your GMAT score, a strong GMAT score of 770 is well above the average for HBS. Your GPA of 3.75 from a US News Top 10 school demonstrates strong academic performance.

Coming to your work experience, Your experience as a Product Manager with a social impact-focused tech company showcases your industry knowledge and passion for making a positive difference. Being promoted within one year to a more senior role demonstrates your ability to deliver results and take on increasing responsibilities. Previous experience in MBB/T2 consulting, coupled with being top-rated, adds further credibility to your professional achievements.
Speaking about your ECs, your leadership role in impact investing within your tech company highlights your ability to make a social impact beyond your day-to-day responsibilities. Co-founding and advising an education nonprofit, as well as volunteering in local education initiatives, demonstrate your commitment to community involvement and creating positive change. Leading Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) with high executive visibility, especially in LGBTQ+ initiatives, showcases your leadership skills, diversity advocacy, and ability to drive inclusion.

As a reapplicant, it's essential to reflect on the feedback you received during your previous application and demonstrate growth and development in your essays. It would be beneficial to address any weaknesses or gaps that may have been highlighted in your previous application. Highlight your progress, new achievements, and how you have refined your goals and aspirations since your last application.
Additionally, make sure to thoroughly review Harvard Business School's essay prompts and tailor your essays to effectively address the questions asked. Emphasize how you have evolved personally and professionally, the impact you have made, and your future goals. Be authentic and showcase your unique experiences and perspectives.

Remember to highlight your LGBTQ+ identity and its influence on your personal and professional journey. Emphasize the leadership you have demonstrated in promoting diversity and inclusion, as this aligns with Harvard Business School's values.
Overall, with your impressive academic credentials, meaningful work experience, and active involvement in extracurricular activities, you have a strong foundation for your Harvard Business School MBA application. Focus on conveying your unique story, impact, and aspirations effectively in your essays to strengthen your candidacy.

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week . We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Book a free profile evaluation call now!

Good luck with your application process!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

earthgirlie wrote:

25 y/o LGBTQ+ Asian F

Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
earthgirlie wrote:

25 y/o LGBTQ+ Asian F

Profile looks excellent
You haven't specified a career goal; Would be important to have one which shows both clarity, and ambition... Also depending on which schools you choose, they may want your application to assess the right "fit", esp Leadership for HBS
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi, my name is Aditya from India. and I'm planning to get into a top MBA program in the US. However, I have a major concern in my profile that consistently bothers me. Due to financial difficulties, I was unable to attend any undergraduate college. Consequently, I completed my undergraduate studies from an open university solely for the purpose of obtaining a, without taking it seriously. During that time, I was unsure of my career path and as a result, I achieved a GPA of 2.2 on a 4.0 scale.

Subsequently, I enrolled in a regular MS program and excelled in my department. Additionally, I actively participated in various university-level competitions and secured positions in all of them. I also have a decent involvement in sports as well as representing my state team and currently, I have been working at a startup for the past two years.

I am aware that my profile may be considered average or below average, but I am eager to know my chances of being accepted into top MBA programs. Could you please provide guidance on how I can enhance my profile in the coming one or two years and increase my chances of not only gaining admission to esteemed schools but also securing substantial scholarships. Thank you.
Admit Expert Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
ammu100 wrote:
Hi, my name is Aditya from India. and I'm planning to get into a top MBA program in the US. However, I have a major concern in my profile that consistently bothers me. Due to financial difficulties, I was unable to attend any undergraduate college. Consequently, I completed my undergraduate studies from an open university solely for the purpose of obtaining a, without taking it seriously. During that time, I was unsure of my career path and as a result, I achieved a GPA of 2.2 on a 4.0 scale.

Subsequently, I enrolled in a regular MS program and excelled in my department. Additionally, I actively participated in various university-level competitions and secured positions in all of them. I also have a decent involvement in sports as well as representing my state team and currently, I have been working at a startup for the past two years.

I am aware that my profile may be considered average or below average, but I am eager to know my chances of being accepted into top MBA programs. Could you please provide guidance on how I can enhance my profile in the coming one or two years and increase my chances of not only gaining admission to esteemed schools but also securing substantial scholarships. Thank you.

Hi ammu100,

To compensate for your undergraduate GPA, aim for a strong GMAT or GRE score. Since you excelled in your department during your MS program, it's important to highlight this achievement. Beyond this, we need to understand more about the quality of your work experience and other aspects of your profile to give more specific feedback/advice w.r.t. applicatiions/scholarships

For a more detailed 1-1 strategy session, please write to contactus@admitexpert.com or fill the form at http://www.admitexpert.com

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 267
Send PM
EMBAhopefuld wrote:
Welcome thoughts on my candidacy for the HBS MBA:

Background:

-40 year old hispanic male, American citizen, member of LGBTQ+ community, VA 100% Permanent and Totally Disabled combat veteran.
-PhD in International Relations (3.98 GPA), MA in International Relations (3.68 GPA), BA in International Relations (3.50 GPA)

GMAT: 610. I took it three times and can't improve my score. For another MBA program, I took the EA and got a 149 with a 7 in Quant.

Work experience:
-Current Organization: U.S. Department of State:
-Current Position: 2013-Present I have been a U.S. Diplomat (Foreign Service Officer) for 10 years representing the U.S. at the highest levels on the world stage, have served in multiple U.S. Embassies, have participated in and successfully negotiated international treaties over the last decade that Harvard Kennedy School students will study about in class.
-Past positions:
2020-2021 I took a leave of absence to takeover as CEO and Chairman of a family-owned tech company following health issues of the founder, my father; the company was in crisis and with no business experience, I built a team, set the vision, and exited with more than a doubling the valuation of the company since I took over (the company was valued at $50m+ when I exited).
2012-2013 I was a Country Director at the Pentagon where I managed a $1.5 billion budget.
2004-2012 I was an active duty US Navy Officer for 8 years where I led more than 40 Marines in combat during two deployments to Afghanistan (2008, 2011).

Community and others:
-I speak fluent English, Russian, and Tajik
-Volunteer Big Brother with Big Brother Big Sister Org for one year.
-Captain of veterans ice hockey team
-Member of State Department's Pride and Disability advocacy employee groups.
-Amateur Astronomer and I do research in my backyard to collect data to discover new Exoplanets and submit the data to NASA -- for fun.
-I'm an FAA commercial pilot, own a plane, and volunteer my time and my plane as an Animal Rescue pilot.

Post-MBA goals:
Gain the hard, soft, and leadership skills offered by HBS to round-out the diverse life experiences i've had, following graduation return to the State Department for several years where my mid-term goal is to become a U.S. Ambassador (realistic within the next 7-10 years). Following my retirement from the State Department, i'd plan to goto an MBB firm for a few years as an experienced hire and then transition after a few years at an MBB into the C-Suite of a Fortune 500 company in Strategy.

For the record, I am only interested in the H/S/W full-time MBA programs at this point. Wharton already told me my GMAT and EA scores were too low for both their full-time and EMBA program).

I know my profile is strong for HBS, my goals are linear, I have a good story to tell, I add considerable diversity, but the weak point is the GMAT score. I've taken the GMAT three times over a 1.5 year period, i've done all the various prep courses, and I just can't get it higher. Is my profile and background strong enough for HBS to overlook a poor GMAT score and be one of those unicorn candidates who gets in with a mid-600s GMAT?

The profile you have presented for an EMBA program is certainly impressive and showcases a diverse range of experiences, accomplishments, and leadership roles. Your extensive tenure as a U.S. Diplomat with the Department of State, including successful international negotiations and representation of the United States at the highest levels, demonstrates your ability to operate effectively in a global context. Additionally, your military service as a combat veteran, along with the experience of leading Marines in Afghanistan, highlights your resilience, strategic thinking, and ability to handle high-pressure situations.

Your educational background, including a Ph.D. in International Relations and strong academic performance, further adds to your profile's strength. Your multilingual abilities, volunteer work, and involvement in advocacy groups demonstrate your commitment to community service and diversity.

While your GMAT and EA scores may be below the average range for top-tier EMBA programs, your exceptional professional accomplishments and extensive leadership experience could compensate for this deficiency. Admissions committees understand that standardized test scores do not always capture an applicant's true potential and may consider your strong background, skills, and achievements holistically. Your clear post-MBA goals aligning with your prior experience and future aspirations contribute to the coherence and feasibility of your plan.

To maximize your chances of being considered for an EMBA program at HBS or other top schools, it would be beneficial to emphasize your significant contributions to your current organization, such as the successful CEO role at the family-owned tech company and your management experience at the Pentagon. Additionally, highlighting your ability to adapt, learn, and excel in various environments will reinforce your readiness for the academic challenges of an EMBA program.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   
Moderators:
HBS and Wharton Moderator
55 posts
HBS & Haas Moderator
151 posts