Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:13 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.56
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi everyone,

Could you help evaluate my profile. Thank you.

- Male, Vietnam, 31 years old
- First generation to college, dad and grandparents served in the military during Vietnam War.
- Gmat: 710, I am retaking it. But if lower will go with 710
- Undergrad: business and finance, top 5
college in the country. GPA 7.7/10 top 10-15%
- WE: 6 years of managing projects and bidding projects, 2 promotions. Industry: Oil and Gas, international exposure: clients from all over the world.
- EC: 2 years official volunteer at the Red Cross, 5 years Union President at work - raising funds and charity for the poor and the disabled, caption of soccer team at work, regular blood donor
- LORs: 2 VPs who know me very well (my nature of work requires working closely with VPs)
- Certifications: PMP, RMP, PMI-SP
- Courses: a bunch of course related to project management and business analytics
- Short term goal: portfolio manager at a renewable developer ( think Orsted, GE)
- Long term goal: come back to the country and help transform Vietnam Energy from Oil and Gas into Renewable.
- Essay: I want to show my commitment to the better of our community. I want to help people who are unfortunate. That’s why I volunteer in college and at work. My job is also to bring projects that create jobs to local workers. While Oil and Gas is profitable, I have seen our workers get sick and retired early (including my dad-after the war). That’s why I want to develop renewables to my country.
- Something important: I did have an MBA from a small school, GPA 3.9/4.0, top 2,Leadership Honor Award, it helped land me my current job - a critical step towards my long term goal. I can show the adcom the reason for 2 MBAs, but I don’t know if this will be a big set back for my application.

Thank you for your help.

Posted from my mobile device
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello miko2010,
I hope you are doing good. Speaking about your profile, your more than 10 years of experience in special operations forces is a unique and impressive background that can set you apart from other applicants. Admissions committees value diverse experiences and perspectives. While your GPA of 4.0 in Accounting demonstrates strong academic performance, which is a positive aspect of your application.

Military experience often involves leadership and management skills, which are highly valued in MBA programs. While a GMAT score of 700 is slightly below the average for HBS, it is still a competitive score, and combined with your other strengths, it can contribute positively to your application.

Your essays and letters of recommendation are crucial in conveying your story, motivations, and fit for the program. Make sure they effectively highlight your unique background and how it relates to your MBA goals.

Ultimately, admission to Harvard Business School is competitive, and many factors contribute to the decision-making process. Your unique background and experiences can definitely work in your favor, but it's important to present a compelling and well-rounded application that showcases your strengths and fit with the program.

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week . We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Book a free profile evaluation call now!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

miko2010 wrote:
Hey you all.

GMAT - 700
Q-49 V-37
IELTS -7.5
GPA - 4/4 - major: Accounting

Work experience - more than 10 years in special operations forces.
Do I have any chance or will it be a waste of time?
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello cup_vt!

I hope you are doing good. It looks like you have a strong profile with a lot of impressive experiences and accomplishments. Your undergraduate education from a top business and finance school with a solid GPA and additional certifications demonstrates your commitment to learning and skill development.

Coming to your work experience, six years of project management in the Oil and Gas industry with international exposure is valuable. Two promotions also highlight your growth within your organization. Being a first-generation college student and having a family history tied to military service during the Vietnam War adds depth to your personal story. Your extensive involvement with the Red Cross, as well as your role as Union President and captain of a soccer team, showcases your leadership skills and dedication to community service. Strong recommendations from VPs who know you well are likely to carry weight and provide valuable insight into your professional capabilities.

Your PMP, RMP, and PMI-SP certifications, along with business analytics and project management courses, demonstrate your commitment to skill development and career advancement.

Your career goals align well with your background and experiences. Your desire to transition into renewable energy and contribute to Vietnam's energy transformation is compelling. Your commitment to community service and the desire to transition to renewable energy is admirable. Make sure your essays effectively convey your personal journey, the impact you want to make, and how an HBS MBA fits into that narrative.

Overall, your unique background, solid achievements, leadership experiences, and clear passion for community service and renewable energy should make your application stand out. Be sure to emphasize your distinctive journey and how you can contribute to the HBS community and beyond.

Good luck with your application process!

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week . We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
MBA and Beyond

cup_vt wrote:
Hi everyone,

Could you help evaluate my profile. Thank you.

- Male, Vietnam, 31 years old
- First generation to college, dad and grandparents served in the military during Vietnam War.
- Gmat: 710, I am retaking it. But if lower will go with 710
- Undergrad: business and finance, top 5
college in the country. GPA 7.7/10 top 10-15%
- WE: 6 years of managing projects and bidding projects, 2 promotions. Industry: Oil and Gas, international exposure: clients from all over the world.
- EC: 2 years official volunteer at the Red Cross, 5 years Union President at work - raising funds and charity for the poor and the disabled, caption of soccer team at work, regular blood donor
- LORs: 2 VPs who know me very well (my nature of work requires working closely with VPs)
- Certifications: PMP, RMP, PMI-SP
- Courses: a bunch of course related to project management and business analytics
- Short term goal: portfolio manager at a renewable developer ( think Orsted, GE)
- Long term goal: come back to the country and help transform Vietnam Energy from Oil and Gas into Renewable.
- Essay: I want to show my commitment to the better of our community. I want to help people who are unfortunate. That’s why I volunteer in college and at work. My job is also to bring projects that create jobs to local workers. While Oil and Gas is profitable, I have seen our workers get sick and retired early (including my dad-after the war). That’s why I want to develop renewables to my country.
- Something important: I did have an MBA from a small school, GPA 3.9/4.0, top 2,Leadership Honor Award, it helped land me my current job - a critical step towards my long term goal. I can show the adcom the reason for 2 MBAs, but I don’t know if this will be a big set back for my application.

Thank you for your help.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for responding.
gender - male
ethnicity - middle east
work experience - 12 years of service in a special operation unit, as a commander, rank- major
unique(?) - the first generation in college, orphan

didn't have any time to conduct extracurriculars activities - been in the army for the last 12 years.

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
There's a lot of missing information but a 49 does pass the threshold for quant even though 700 is significantly under the class average for Harvard. Whether or not you will be competitive kind of depends on the level of diversity you will offer in terms of gender, ethnicity, work experience, citizenship and anything else that might make you unique or underrepresented. The more overrepresented your profile is in the application pool, the higher the GMAT is that you will need to be competitive and vice versa. The 7.5 is passable for Harvard (their required standard is 7.5+).

What you might want to consider is do you have a track record of “leadership without authority,” and a “habit of leadership?” These are two really important things for Harvard. You haven't mentioned anything about extracurriculars but inevitably that tends to factor large in Harvard applications because they want to see a habit of leadership. Both at work and beyond.

When you say over 10 years in special operations forces, I'm wondering how many? The average age for Harvard is pretty low, however it's a bit higher for veterans.

It's important to really think about problems that you have solved. Part of the application for Harvard is the greatest challenge you overcame at each of your jobs. If you have international experience or exposure to other cultures in some way that's also very helpful. Hopefully this sheds a little bit of light on what you need to let us know about to better evaluate your profile.

miko2010 wrote:
Hey you all.

GMAT - 700
Q-49 V-37
IELTS -7.5
GPA - 4/4 - major: Accounting

Work experience - more than 10 years in special operations forces.
Do I have any chance or will it be a waste of time?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Hi all, what are my chances? Thank you

Nationality: Finnish but live in London
    GPA: B.Sc. in Finance (4.4/5.0) and M.Sc. in Finance (4.6/5.0) from the best business school in my country (although internationally less known)
    WE: 6 years today of which 2 years in bulge bracket investment banking and then 6 years in global growth equity / venture capital (although not major brand names). Received 2 promotions and have/had direct reports. All in London. Constantly talk with CXOs and investors, lead investments etc. the stuff you do at VC/PE.
    EC: Extremely strong at university as I was the Chairman of the organisation responsible of all our international students, and Head of X of multiple other student associations plus few other minor ones. Since graduating I volunteer with homeless people/elderly/TEDx although none in leadership positions and have also been mentor multiple times.
    Other: I've done a week long Executive Education course at Harvard in Boston last year. Think I was the youngest person there.
    Recommenders: Good but not amazing I think. Think indirect bosses.
    GMAT/GRE: I did GRE few years back and got 318. GMAT I'm studying and think I could get 700 tops but not much more than that. I'm terrible at these tests.
    Post-MBA: Move to asset management / long-only investing or larger growth equity fund in London

Think my EC and WE is strong but basically I wonder how much those could carry the likely relatively weak GMAT (and grandpa age!). Really would only go HSW.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
jayouh:

It's going to be a toss-up with a low GMAT/GRE score. Candidates applying to HSW have very little room for error, especially around arguably the most (and only truly) objective statistic in the application process.

What was your V/Q split on the GRE? For the GMAT, a 700 would really be key. Anything less than that will really put huge pressure on the other elements of your application, which we agree are good but might not be enough for these high caliber schools.

Are you only looking at HSW or are you open to "Tier II" schools? If the former, then you should do the best you can with the GMAT/GRE and take your chances by applying. If the latter, then it becomes more of a question around how much time and effort you want to put into HSW knowing non-HSW schools are more attainable.

If you want to discuss this and more further, please reach out for a free consultation:
https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/

Admissionado
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
With a decade of Work Ex in Manufacturing, I wish to pivot my career into Tech and Finance and I hope to offset my below 3 GPA with my high GMAT score and essays. Hope it works out.
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello jayouh,
I hope you are doing well. Your profile has several strong aspects. Your undergraduate and master's degrees in Finance from a reputable business school in Finland demonstrate a strong academic foundation. While you're concerned about your test scores, it's important to aim for the best possible score you can achieve. HBS, like other top-tier schools, does place importance on standardized test scores. A score of around 700 may be competitive, but a higher score can strengthen your application.

Six years of experience in the finance industry, with a combination of investment banking and growth equity/venture capital, including leadership roles and promotions, is a significant strength. Your experience in London, a global financial hub, adds to your profile. Your involvement in student associations and volunteering activities while in university and post-graduation showcases your leadership, commitment to giving back, and well-roundedness. Completing an executive education course at Harvard is a positive indicator of your commitment to continuous learning and engagement with a top institution. Your career goals in asset management and growth equity in London align with your previous experience and can be seen as a logical next step post-MBA.

Ensure that your recommendations highlight your strengths, impact, and potential. Strong recommendations from people who know you well in a professional context can make a difference.

HBS is known for its competitive admissions process, and it's challenging to predict your chances accurately. Your unique combination of experiences, strong academics, and career goals can make you a compelling candidate. However, the GMAT/GRE score could be a limiting factor, so consider investing additional time and resources to improve it. Ultimately, your application will be evaluated holistically. Be sure to craft compelling essays that convey your story and aspirations effectively. Apply when you believe your application is at its strongest, and consider applying to a range of top-tier MBA programs to maximize your chances of admission.

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
MBA and Beyond

jayouh wrote:

GPA: B.Sc. in Finance (4.4/5.0) and M.Sc. in Finance (4.6/5.0) from the best business school in my country (although internationally less known)
    WE: 6 years today of which 2 years in bulge bracket investment banking and then 6 years in global growth equity / venture capital (although not major brand names). Received 2 promotions and have/had direct reports. All in London. Constantly talk with CXOs and investors, lead investments etc. the stuff you do at VC/PE.
    EC: Extremely strong at university as I was the Chairman of the organisation responsible of all our international students, and Head of X of multiple other student associations plus few other minor ones. Since graduating I volunteer with homeless people/elderly/TEDx although none in leadership positions and have also been mentor multiple times.
    Other: I've done a week long Executive Education course at Harvard in Boston last year. Think I was the youngest person there.
    GMAT/GRE: I did GRE few years back and got 318. GMAT I'm studying and think I could get 700 tops but not much more than that. I'm terrible at these tests.
    Post-MBA: Move to asset management / long-only investing or larger growth equity fund in London

Think my EC and WE is strong but basically I wonder how much those could carry the likely relatively weak GMAT (and grandpa age!). Really would only go HSW.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
jayouh wrote:

👋 Hey jayouh,

I came across your profile evaluation query on the forum and thought I'd reach out to offer some assistance from my own experience.

So here is what I would suggest:

Strengths:
➡️ Solid Professional Foundation: With 6 years of work experience in investment banking and venture capital, you bring a high level of expertise to the table. Your two promotions and leadership over direct reports indicate strong performance and leadership ability. For example, HSW places a high value on candidates with strong leadership skills, making you a strong contender.

➡️ Strong Academic Credentials: Your GPA scores are quite competitive and from the best business school in your country, which suggests that you're academically well-prepared. Though the school may not be globally renowned, the "best in the country" status will not go unnoticed.

➡️ Extracurricular Involvement: Your comprehensive involvement in extracurricular activities, particularly leadership roles, is a testament to your well-rounded character. This is consistent with HSW's ideal candidate profile, which often goes beyond academics and work experience to include community engagement and leadership.

➡️ Executive Education: Your stint at Harvard for an Executive Education course demonstrates proactiveness and a commitment to continuous learning, qualities that elite programs value.

➡️ Post-MBA Goals: Your desire to move into asset management or a larger growth equity fund is clear and aligns well with your background, making you a focused candidate.

Areas for Enhancement:
➡️ Standardized Tests: Your GRE score and projected GMAT are areas where there's room for improvement. Consider targeted preparation methods to bring these scores in line with the average scores at HSW, which usually exceed 720 for the GMAT. The aim is not to underscore limitations but to offer avenues for profile strengthening.

➡️ Professional Network: While you mention "indirect bosses" as recommenders, aiming for senior professionals who can provide deeper insights into your leadership and skills might make your recommendation letters more impactful.

➡️ Clarify the 'Why': The narrative around why you specifically need an MBA, given your already substantial background in similar roles, can be further strengthened. This would articulate the value you see in an MBA program, making your application more compelling.

Recommended Actions:
➡️ Test Preparation: You could engage with a personalized GMAT/GRE tutor to focus on areas that are pulling your scores down.

➡️ Networking: Given you're in London, you're geographically well-placed to engage with alumni or current students of HSW, which can enrich your essays and interviews.

➡️ Enhanced Narrative: Develop a more in-depth narrative or story that explains your career trajectory, why you need an MBA, and why HSW is the right fit for you.

In summary, your profile already has multiple strengths that align well with what HSW and other top-tier schools look for in candidates. With targeted effort in enhancing certain areas, you stand a strong chance of not just admission but also succeeding in these competitive programs. But remember that they have a highly competitive pool of applicants and less acceptance rate.

School Suggestions:
➡️ Dream - H/S/W, Booth
➡️ Competitive - M. Ross Kellogg, Cornell, Duke, NYU, HEC Paris, Kellogg, USC Marshall, Warwick
➡️ Safe - Manchester, University of Illinois, Foster, University of Massachusetts

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a FREE call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.

Or DM for help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I'd love to get an idea if my profile stands a chance at Harvard?

27-Year-Old Indian Male

Academics
• Under Grad – Economics major from a top undergrad college in India (6.48/10 GPA)
• GRE – 337 (V – 169, Q – 168)
• Completed UCB’s Math for Management with an A

Work Ex
• 7 years at matriculation in the Retail space across India, UAE and Israel.
• Currently heading Consulting and Implementation for an Israeli Retail tech startup for India and UAE market
• It’s a spin-off of my first organization and they called me back to head the consulting and implementation arm
• Helped the Israeli start-up launch operations in the UAE market through my past experience and network (Given the geopolitical situation between both countries)
• 1 promotion in the last 1 year in the current job

ECs during college:
• Captain of the college basketball team
• Part of an 8-member organizing committee of the college’s sports fest
• Taught underprivileged kids during college time. Since my Alma Mater is in my hometown only, it was a way of giving back to my people and my community

Extracurricular after College:
• National level basketball player and represented my state at All India national tournaments for 3 consecutive years
• I have been coaching my college basketball team for a month every year for the last 3 years, to prepare them for our annual sports fest (Since my work is Hybrid, I can

Work From my Alma Mater’s base and coach the Team)
• Worked for TeachForIndia (Taught underprivileged kids) for 2 years
• I have my own podcast on NBA. We have around 5000+ subscribers. It’s a passion project that I run
• I have built a business of my own in the last 3 years, I own 5 retail stores in India with an ARR of $1.5 Million. We’ll add 5 more by Mid-2024. All these stores are built in Tier-3 or Tier-4 cities to give people quality retail products at an affordable price.

Post MBA Goals
• Short Term - Work for a Tier 1/Tier 2 consulting specializing in the Retail, Food & Beverages, and Consumer Goods space
• Long-Term Goal – To be an entrepreneur. I have a lot of ideas here but they’ll most be in the consumer goods space. My ultimate goal is to create an Indian sports apparel brand
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q86 V86 DI85
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Hello everyone, my name is Marco.

I’m 25 and I’m an Italian master's degree student. I’ve started looking for an MBA at a top school. I’ll complete my master’s degree at 26 and I'll apply for the HBS 2+2 program this year.

Here’s my background:

Education:
Master’s Degree: I’m currently enrolled in a Double Master’s Degree program:
MSc in Management at Bocconi University (4.0 GPA)
Master of International Business at the Darla Moore: University of South Carolina (4.0 GPA).
This summer I’ll get both degrees.

Bachelor: BSc in Digital marketing from a not ranked university.
Good GPA but I don’t know how to convert it in a 4.0 scale (it’s 27.7/30 in the Italian grading system), final grade 107/110.

Experience:
Almost 5 years of part-time working experience in marketing (all 5 in Italy), of which 4 in consulting. Good and provable results with clients, some of them are honestly really good. I had also leadership roles, and huge responsibilities, such as leading projects, independently managing hundreds of thousands of euros of budget, etc.
The main issue (imo) is that all my experience is in small-size companies, definitely, not big names to put on my resume. On the other hand, this allowed me to take much more responsibilities and develop entrepreneurship and expertise in several industries and functions, having worked in different areas of the company.
Still, I feel that not having “big names” on the resume can be a major issue in being accepted to top schools, in particular in the US.

I also have entrepreneurship experience. I had a leadership role for one year in a tech startup that I've cofounded. It wasn’t so successful, but I learned A LOT. The coolest thing we did was completing the pre-seed and pitching to Y Combinator.

Extracurricular activities:
I’m trilingual, I’m native Italian, fluent in English, and intermediate in Spanish (and I’m studing to improve it).
I attended a lot of courses outside the university path in various areas, from strategy and management to IT.
Unfortunately, I have really few and weak sports/associations activities, since these are not really a big thing in Italy.
I've just started taking part in some charity initiatives in my free time.

GMAT:
I took it for the Bocconi application. I scored 710 (Q49, V39).
Anyway, I will certainly take it another time with the focus edition since I can still manage to score in the 90 percentile with no additional training. Hopefully, I’ll get a score in the 95th percentile, which can help for my application.

My goal after the MBA is to work in management consulting firms and/or premium automotive brands.

Thank you in advance! :blushing:
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
jayouh
jayouh wrote:

Age is on the higher side, but your nationality and work exposure in London would offset that a little bit.

jayouh wrote:

Good CGPA
jayouh wrote:

Good WEs and good ECs; Make sure to highlight the leadership well through these

jayouh wrote:

Will help if you could get direct boss/es, but it is really the strength of the LORs that would matter, accompanied with good examples.

jayouh wrote:

HSW AND PEs/VCs/ Asset Management etc at these campuses look especially for candidates with strong test scores. It is therefore not just the getting in, but also your post-MBA employment that could get weaker with lower GRE/GMAT score. You may want to reconsider the choice of schools in that context. Can explain in greater detail over a FREE profile discussion
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Marcof11,
Marcof11 wrote:
Hello everyone, my name is Marco.

I’m 25 and I’m an Italian master's degree student. I’ve started looking for an MBA at a top school. I’ll complete my master’s degree at 26 and I'll apply for the HBS 2+2 program this year.

Here’s my background:

Education:
Master’s Degree: I’m currently enrolled in a Double Master’s Degree program:
MSc in Management at Bocconi University (4.0 GPA)
Master of International Business at the Darla Moore: University of South Carolina (4.0 GPA).
This summer I’ll get both degrees.

Bachelor: BSc in Digital marketing from a not ranked university.
Good GPA but I don’t know how to convert it in a 4.0 scale (it’s 27.7/30 in the Italian grading system), final grade 107/110.

Don't worry about having to convert anything; In fact, please DO NOT CONVERT your GPA into a 4.0os

Marcof11 wrote:
Experience:
Almost 5 years of part-time working experience in marketing (all 5 in Italy), of which 4 in consulting. Good and provable results with clients, some of them are honestly really good. I had also leadership roles, and huge responsibilities, such as leading projects, independently managing hundreds of thousands of euros of budget, etc.
The main issue (imo) is that all my experience is in small-size companies, definitely, not big names to put on my resume. On the other hand, this allowed me to take much more responsibilities and develop entrepreneurship and expertise in several industries and functions, having worked in different areas of the company.
Still, I feel that not having “big names” on the resume can be a major issue in being accepted to top schools, in particular in the US.

Before everything else, I feel you should check with the AdCom if they will be open to considering your candidature, given you have 5+ years of Part time WE.

Marcof11 wrote:

I also have entrepreneurship experience. I had a leadership role for one year in a tech startup that I've cofounded. It wasn’t so successful, but I learned A LOT. The coolest thing we did was completing the pre-seed and pitching to Y Combinator.

Extracurricular activities:
I’m trilingual, I’m native Italian, fluent in English, and intermediate in Spanish (and I’m studing to improve it).
I attended a lot of courses outside the university path in various areas, from strategy and management to IT.
Unfortunately, I have really few and weak sports/associations activities, since these are not really a big thing in Italy.
I've just started taking part in some charity initiatives in my free time.

GMAT:
I took it for the Bocconi application. I scored 710 (Q49, V39).
Anyway, I will certainly take it another time with the focus edition since I can still manage to score in the 90 percentile with no additional training. Hopefully, I’ll get a score in the 95th percentile, which can help for my application.

For the 2+2, 710 is NOT A GOOD SCORE
Marcof11 wrote:

My goal after the MBA is to work in management consulting firms and/or premium automotive brands.

Thank you in advance! :blushing:
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Send PM
shashijangir08

shashijangir08 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I would love to get an idea if my profile stands a chance at Stanford or Harvard?

27-Year-Old Indian Male

Academics
• Under Grad – Economics major from a top undergrad college in India (6.48/10 GPA)

Though your CGPA is low, your stellar GRE can compensate well; ensure to talk about it; if you have had reasons that can explain it, works better (don't come across as justifying or offering excuses)

shashijangir08 wrote:

Work Ex
• Currently heading Consulting and Implementation for an Israeli Retail tech startup for India and UAE market
• It’s a spin-off of my first organization and they called me back to head the consulting and implementation arm
• Helped the Israeli start-up launch operations in the UAE market through my past experience and network (Given the geopolitical situation between both countries)

The diversity in your experience, and the career trajectory provides the solid pillars on which to build your candidature on.

shashijangir08 wrote:
ECs during college:
• Taught underprivileged kids during college time. Since my Alma Mater is in my hometown only, it was a way of giving back to my people and my community

• National level basketball player and represented my state at All India national tournaments for 3 consecutive years
• I have been coaching my college basketball team for a month every year for the last 3 years, to prepare them for our annual sports fest (Since my work is Hybrid, I can

• I have my own podcast on NBA. We have around 5000+ subscribers. It’s a passion project that I run
• I have built a business of my own in the last 3 years, I own 5 retail stores in India with an ARR of $1.5 Million. We’ll add 5 more by Mid-2024. All these stores are built in Tier-3 or Tier-4 cities to give people quality retail products at an affordable price.

Love the ECs, and a truly well-rounded personality.

shashijangir08 wrote:

Post MBA Goals
• Short Term - Work for a Tier 1/Tier 2 consulting specializing in the Retail, Food & Beverages, and Consumer Goods space
• Long-Term Goal – To be an entrepreneur. I have a lot of ideas here but they’ll most be in the consumer goods space. My ultimate goal is to create an Indian sports apparel brand

Overall, you have a decent shot at M-7; Given the over-represented pool you form a part of, would advise you to draft a compelling application, or get a good mentor to help you navigate the journey, a senior/ good friend who's gone through a competitive MBA program, or a good applications consultant.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
shashijangir08 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'd love to get an idea if my profile stands a chance at Harvard?

27-Year-Old Indian Male

Academics

Work Ex

ECs during college:

Post MBA Goals

shashijangir08 Hope this finds you well

Congratulations on your outstanding GRE score! If ever there were a prime example of effectively compensating for a lower GPA score, your case would undoubtedly be at the forefront.

Your professional experience holds a lot of potential for creating a compelling narrative. The fact that you have successfully worked with Israeli and UAE teams, each with its own unique socio-political factors, demonstrates your ability to adapt quickly to new circumstances and work styles. This experience would have helped you develop a wide range of skills, such as understanding different cultures, navigating complex situations in addition to your understanding of the retail landscape in different markets that can portray a solid foundation for your motivation to build and scale your own business in this area.

Your involvement outside of work is also commendable and makes you a strong candidate for the M7 Schools in the US. Top business schools look to your background for evidence of your willingness to take risks and step out of your comfort zone to pursue your vision. With the numerous examples in your profile that demonstrate your potential for future success post-MBA, schools would love to benefit from the rich insights you can bring to the table because of your "can-do" attitude.

MBA essays are all about passion; they are about how ready you are to address a problem in the world or seize an opportunity that will have a significant impact on an industry. To answer this question effectively, your passion must reflect through your narrative. Give it your best shot in the application.

Get personalized feedback tailored to your unique situation. We do not cap discussion hours with applicants

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q86 V86 DI85
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
TheIvyLeagueEdge Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I've already sent a couple of emails and I'm eligible for the 2+2 admission. :)

Can you please give me your opinion on the rest of my profile?
I know that 710 is not a top-notch score for HBS, but I'm 100% sure I can score in the 95/96 percentile with some addiitonal practice (My goal is a GMAT Focus score of 705+).

Thanks again.
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Marcof11 wrote:
TheIvyLeagueEdge Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I've already sent a couple of emails and I'm eligible for the 2+2 admission. :)

Can you please give me your opinion on the rest of my profile?
I know that 710 is not a top-notch score for HBS, but I'm 100% sure I can score in the 95/96 percentile with some addiitonal practice (My goal is a GMAT Focus score of 705+).

Thanks again.

Sure:
1. Academically, you are well sorted
2. Diversity profile places you in a very strong position
3. WE (Part time) should also work well, despite what you think is the lack of good names
4. Same with your start-up experience, and the Y-combinator experience
5. The ECs however, should have been more than just languages. There are many ways to highlight the right experiences; the adcoms understand the national contexts, but within the Italian context, you would need to be able to show good ECs
6. The GMAT is low as already said
7. The Career goal also needs to be way more clear.

Most importantly however, deferred applications face extreme competition (The size being less than 3% (sometimes up to 5%) of the overall class size). It is therefore extremely important for your application to present a compelling story, and a very powerful theme.

Hope that helps
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   
Moderators:
HBS and Wharton Moderator
55 posts
HBS & Haas Moderator
151 posts