GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 06:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Having observed the icebergs in Antarctica for over a decade

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Having observed the icebergs in Antarctica for over a decade  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 05:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:13) correct 40% (01:28) wrong based on 151 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Having observed the icebergs in Antarctica for over a decade, their melting rate is no longer considered to be constant by Dr.Eric Godert, it is increasing rapidly, raising the mean sea water level.

A. their melting rate is no longer considered to be constant by Dr.Eric Godert, it is increasing rapidly, raising

B. their rate of melting is no longer considered to be constant by Dr.Eric Godert, it is increasingly rapid and raising

C. Dr. Eric Godert considers their rate of melting no longer constant but increasing rapidly, raising

D. Dr. Eric Godert considers their melting rate to be no longer constant but one that is increasing rapidly, raising

E. Dr. Eric Godert considers their rate of melting to be increasingly rapid and no longer constant, raising

G
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Having observed the icebergs in Antarctica for over a decade  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 05:56
+1 for C

Having modifies Dr.Eric. Hence eliminate A, B

The correct idiom is Consider X, Y.
Only C follows the correct usage.

Posted from my mobile device
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 3.56
CAT Tests
Re: Having observed the icebergs in Antarctica for over a decade  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 06:14
Having observed the icebergs in Antarctica for over a decade, their melting rate is no longer considered to be constant by Dr.Eric Godert, it is increasing rapidly, raising the mean sea water level.

A. their melting rate is no longer considered to be constant by Dr.Eric Godert, it is increasing rapidly, raising : After comma, we need the subject who observed the icebergs.

B. their rate of melting is no longer considered to be constant by Dr.Eric Godert, it is increasingly rapid and raising : Same error as in A

C. Dr. Eric Godert considers their rate of melting no longer constant but increasing rapidly, raising : CORRECT

D. Dr. Eric Godert considers their melting rate to be no longer constant but one that is increasing rapidly, raising : Consider to be wrong.

E. Dr. Eric Godert considers their rate of melting to be increasingly rapid and no longer constant, raising : Consider to be wrong.
Current Student
S
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V36

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 09:02
rohan2345 wrote:

A. their melting rate is no longer considered to be constant by Dr.Eric Godert, it is increasing rapidly, raising

B. their rate of melting is no longer considered to be constant by Dr.Eric Godert, it is increasingly rapid and raising

C. Dr. Eric Godert considers their rate of melting no longer constant but increasing rapidly, raising

D. Dr. Eric Godert considers their melting rate to be no longer constant but one that is increasing rapidly, raising

E. Dr. Eric Godert considers their rate of melting to be increasingly rapid and no longer constant, raising

rohan2345
Please verify the source of this question.
I feel Option C is incorrect because there is nothing increasing is parallel to.
I may be wrong.
If I am, please do correct me. Since but is a parallelism marker, what can Increasing rapidly refer to?

Regards
Intern
Intern
G
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.86
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 09:37
rohan2345 wrote:

Can anyone please tel here why D is incorrect,
is rate of melting is preffered over melting rate
is but one in D incorrect?
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V37

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 10:58
Slashing out A and B as "Having..." modifier should modify the Doc.

C. Dr. Eric Godert considers their rate of melting no longer constant but increasing rapidly, raising Correct

This option tries to trick by using a sleek term "melting rate" instead of "rate of melting" but messes it up badly by using "but one that is increasing rapidly", this is badly constructed. Also comparing "constant" with "increasing rapidly" is more appropriate than comparing with "one" and have a "that.." modifier to modify "one".

"Increasingly rapid" changes the meaning
Manager
Manager
P
WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 15:59
sahilkak wrote:
rohan2345 wrote:

Can anyone please tel here why D is incorrect,
is rate of melting is preffered over melting rate
is but one in D incorrect?

IMHO

1.--- considers their melting rate to be-- it always considers x y
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2019, 02:22
nitesh50 wrote:
rohan2345 wrote:

rohan2345
Please verify the source of this question.
I feel Option C is incorrect because there is nothing increasing is parallel to.
I may be wrong.
If I am, please do correct me. Since but is a parallelism marker, what can Increasing rapidly refer to?

Regards

nitesh50,
"Increasing" is parallel to "constant". Parallelism is okay here.

Regards,
Tamal

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Having observed the icebergs in Antarctica for over a decade   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2019, 02:22

Having observed the icebergs in Antarctica for over a decade

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics