GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 08:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Leadership in Admissions

January 23, 2019

January 23, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Learn how to portray yourself as a leader in your MBA applications when you download this free guide!
  • No Stone Unturned: Your 2019/2020 MBA Application Starts Now!

January 24, 2019

January 24, 2019

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Planning to apply to business school in 2019 or 2020? It is not too early to start planning! By taking action now, you can dramatically improve your chances of gaining admission to a top MBA program.

HBS Waitlist: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: HBS Waitlist: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 05:42
It seems from Eileen's email to us on Jan 4th that no movement has been made on the waitlist, yet I've heard from the grapevine that in previous years people have been admitted off the waitlist in the first week of January (probably from spaces being freed up by multiple-offerees opting for another school). Has anyone heard of anything like this happening this time?
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '21 (WL)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 08:10
martinben wrote:
It seems from Eileen's email to us on Jan 4th that no movement has been made on the waitlist, yet I've heard from the grapevine that in previous years people have been admitted off the waitlist in the first week of January (probably from spaces being freed up by multiple-offerees opting for another school). Has anyone heard of anything like this happening this time?

I think every year is pretty different. In 2016 I'm pretty sure they emailed people legit a few days after reviewing applications. What makes 2021 such a wild card for waitlist candidates is that its the first year HBS does not have a round 3. The only thing we can do now is sit still and hope for good news in February. Also hope that eliminating round 3 will work in our favor.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 09:25
At this point, it seems that either the volume of Round 2 exceeded their expectations, hence they are not ready to make round 1 waitlist offers yet.

In the past they admitted 20-30 people out of 120-140 from Round 1 waitlist and then either denied or pushed the rest to further wait.

As an additional data point, (from fellow applicants) it seems that they might have increased the waitlist size in Round 1 due to the elimination of Round 3.

It is hard to project an expected admission rate for waitlist. In the past ~60/300 or ~20% were admitted, who knows about this year......
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 10:24
I think after speaking with several HBS students that got off the waitlist, all of them heard back when R2 decisions are out. So I don't think we should hear anything until march 26 of this year.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 10:25
mbaprep101 wrote:
At this point, it seems that either the volume of Round 2 exceeded their expectations, hence they are not ready to make round 1 waitlist offers yet.

In the past they admitted 20-30 people out of 120-140 from Round 1 waitlist and then either denied or pushed the rest to further wait.

As an additional data point, (from fellow applicants) it seems that they might have increased the waitlist size in Round 1 due to the elimination of Round 3.

It is hard to project an expected admission rate for waitlist. In the past ~60/300 or ~20% were admitted, who knows about this year......

How are we sure that they increase the waitlist size this year?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V45

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 14:19
bondtradercu wrote:
I think after speaking with several HBS students that got off the waitlist, all of them heard back when R2 decisions are out. So I don't think we should hear anything until march 26 of this year.

bummer, other school deposits are due early to mid february. not sure what to do about that now
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 12:33
plmnkoijb wrote:
bondtradercu wrote:

bummer, other school deposits are due early to mid february. not sure what to do about that now

We're absolutely losing deposit money lol. I'm fine with that tho. We're about to spend so much money for business school, what is an additional 1-5k to upgrade to our first choice (I'm assuming HBS is yall's first choice).

To the previous comments, I wouldn't assume anything (whether they put more people on the waitlist or whether the amount of application in round 2 exceeded what they expected given round 3 elimination). We don't know what we don't know and while it's frustrating there's no need to speculate unless someone has sources on the Ad Comm lol.

I do think we will be seeing movement in 2 big waves for round 1 applicants:
1) Some of us will get calls or get released in early February.
2) Most of us will get calls or get released on March 26th (Round 2 decisions deadline)
3) The rest will continue on the round 2 waitlist and will have to wait.

This has been the case for every admissions season on this forum (sometimes the first waves of call is in January but there is a wave of calls pre the round 2 decisions).

While I'm here, allow me to vent: the most frustrating part of the waitlist is the mix signal it sends. Why did they not just reject us? Are they keeping us because we have a genuine chance of getting off the waitlist? I would not want to be in admissions shoes because they have to evaluate brutally competitive pools of applicants. I just wish I could sit on the meeting where they decided to put me on the waitlist and would love to know how close I was to be in the admit pile lol. Vent Over.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 12:52
bd1015 wrote:
plmnkoijb wrote:
bondtradercu wrote:

We're absolutely losing deposit money lol. I'm fine with that tho. We're about to spend so much money for business school, what is an additional 1-5k to upgrade to our first choice (I'm assuming HBS is yall's first choice).

To the previous comments, I wouldn't assume anything (whether they put more people on the waitlist or whether the amount of application in round 2 exceeded what they expected given round 3 elimination). We don't know what we don't know and while it's frustrating there's no need to speculate unless someone has sources on the Ad Comm lol.

2) Most of us will get calls or get released on March 26th (Round 2 decisions deadline)

This has been the case for every admissions season on this forum (sometimes the first waves of call is in January but there is a wave of calls pre the round 2 decisions).

While I'm here, allow me to vent: the most frustrating part of the waitlist is the mix signal it sends. Why did they not just reject us? Are they keeping us because we have a genuine chance of getting off the waitlist? I would not want to be in admissions shoes because they have to evaluate brutally competitive pools of applicants. I just wish I could sit on the meeting where they decided to put me on the waitlist and would love to know how close I was to be in the admit pile lol. Vent Over.

5k??? Are you guys planning on depositing at multiple schools? I thought wharton deposit of 2k is already on the higher end of the spectrum.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 12:57
5k??? Are you guys planning on depositing at multiple schools? I thought wharton deposit of 2k is already on the higher end of the spectrum.[/quote]

Naa, Tuck is 3k (and I put 1-5 for a range cause I honestly have no idea how much they cost)
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 13:03
bd1015 wrote:
plmnkoijb wrote:
bondtradercu wrote:

So some people will get released in early Feb once they have finished reviewing R2 applications and have a sense of deposits from R1 right? so no rejects till end of March for waitlisted people.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V45

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 16:15
two questions that you guys might have answers to (or maybe not haha) - how long do we have to respond after they hopefully admit us off the waitlist? and will they tell us what our financial aid package is once we're admitted or only after we accept?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.89

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 14:24
Anyone know how many people usually hear yes/no in late Jan / early Feb vs. waiting until end of March when R2 decisions come out?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 17:53
from prior years these are the stats for Round 1 waitlist
Late Jan/Early Feb - ~25 admitted; 55 released; 40 continue on waitlist
March (round 2) to July - admitted 5-15 from Round 1
Total round 1 admissions ~30-40 while 15-20 admitted from round 2
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.89

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 18:35
mbaprep101 wrote:
from prior years these are the stats for Round 1 waitlist
Late Jan/Early Feb - ~25 admitted; 55 released; 40 continue on waitlist
March (round 2) to July - admitted 5-15 from Round 1
Total round 1 admissions ~30-40 while 15-20 admitted from round 2

Thank you. So you would expect more than half of the waitlist to hear yes/no during the first decision date in early Feb with the remaining ~30-40% waiting until March-July?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: HBS Waitlist: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021 &nbs [#permalink] 15 Jan 2019, 18:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

HBS Waitlist: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap