GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 06:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Help Help , I am devasted

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Help Help , I am devasted  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Oct 2019, 18:16
Hello everybody,
I really need some help for my GMAT study

My background
I am a french speaker student from french Africa. So My native tongue is French. I was born and Bread in Africa. I got my french bachelor with 3.5 ( which is pretty hight in french universities ). I completed my graduate studies in Canada finishing with 4.27 on 4.3. So basically I have lived studied and worked on 3 continents
Work experience :
1.5 years for a big four + 1 year as a merger and acquisition analyst for a rapidly growing company, + 1 year as an analyst at the central bank and now I am currently working at a consulting firm as a senior consultant Financial performance and strategy. It will be there for 2 years before applying in 2020

My Goal
I would like to go to LBS, Oxford, and Cambridge to do my MBA so I need to score a 700 for my GMAT

My struggle:
My first GMAT official test was 450 (Q27, V25) in June 2019: I was eating and watching movies when I took that, still I was crushed. So I studied For June to September including a long break because I was grieving my father (he passed away recently).
I restated studying and took the 2nd Gmat official prep test last week, my score was 680 (Q41, V42)
One week later, last Saturday, I took the Manhattan GMAT my score was 580 (Q37, V30) I was shocked. So I decided to take another Manhattan GMAT two days after, meaning today, and my score was 560 (Q37, V30). For the second manhattan GMAT, I rushed because I was run of time and I have to guess for the last 10 questions. It is getting worst and worst.
My exam is scheduled for December 14th, in 2 months.
I don't know what to do. I was always good at school. Right now, I start believing that people are right when they say Africans have some issues with the GMAT
Can somebody give me some strategies or refer me to any good tutor. I need some help, I am so devasted. :cry:

Originally posted by tatiana91 on 14 Oct 2019, 13:39.
Last edited by tatiana91 on 14 Oct 2019, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Help Help , I am devasted  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2019, 14:19
Hi Tatiana,

First of all don't judge yourself based on manhattan tests. They're are definitely harder. I have the lowest score in manhattan mock.I have a gap of 80 points between real exam and manhattan.

Secondly, dont lose hope. GMAT doesn't come easy for everyone. If you have a plan you can certainly achieve whatever you want to.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... ml?fl=menu

You have Gprep 680, which is very close to your target score. I believe you're closer to 680 than 560.

For prep, you should you try ttp and maths revolution for quant and exampal,egmat,economist. First go through their trial first and see what fits.
Go through GmatNinja video series on youtube for sc, which is amazing.

But the best thing you can do right now is not lose hope and trust your preparation and process. You're very close.

Good Luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Status: PhD-trained. Education, Research, Teaching, Training, Consulting and Advisory Services
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2019, 15:15
tatiana91 wrote:

My struggle:
My first GMAT official test was 450 (Q27, V25) in June 2019: I was eating and watching movies when I took that, still I was crushed. So I studied For June to September including a long break because I was grieving my father (he passed away recently).
I restated studying and took the 2nd Gmat official prep test last week, my score was 680 (Q41, V42)
One week later, last Saturday, I took the Manhattan GMAT my score was 580 (Q37, V30) I was shocked. So I decided to take another Manhattan GMAT two days after, meaning today, and my score was 560 (Q37, V30). For the second manhattan GMAT, I rushed because I was run of time and I have to guess for the last 10 questions. It is getting worst and worst.
I don't know what to do. I was always good at school. Right now, I start believing that people are right when they say Africans have some issues with the GMAT

First, the GMAT does not have anything to do with anyone's ethnic and racial background, but the test does somewhat favor native speakers and those trained in programs that reward GMAT-like learning. This said, the GMAT is a very learnable test. It tests basic aptitude skills which can be developed with constant practice. Regular practice is key.

You also took the prep test while you were "eating". Obviously, this wasn't the best way to take such a test. Your improved score in the second prep test attests to the fact that your actual ability is likely much higher than the 500s that you received in the first one. Also, you were grieving and this can sometimes both reduce performance and also improve performance in some conditions.

You are on the right path with the official tests. I would suggest that you need to invest in your English verbal writing skills. Consider doing this before you focus on GMAT verbal. You will need several months for this task.

As for third-party tests, please be very cautious. While they may provide some practice, the questions may be off, especially with regard to verbal. Use these tests to practice your test skills.

The GMAT does not care whether someone is "good" or "bad" at school. It will reward you for your aptitude skills which can be improved with time. GL!
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Help Help , I am devasted  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 10:58
Hi tatiana91,

First off, let’s look at the good news - you recently scored 680 on an official practice exam. 680 is a really nice score! Thus, you have no reason to be devastated. In fact, given that you’ve improved over 200 points, you should be very excited!

Looking at the score breakdown of your 680, it’s clear that in order to hit your 700+ goal score, you need to improve in quant. With that said, would you like some advice on how to improve your quant skills?

You also may find it helpful to read the following articles:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success

Developing the Proper Mindset For GMAT Success

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 11:55
Sorry bro but why based your all on a third party test (not saying it bad,good for stamina)Kindly take another official prep test to gauge how far you have come. You’ve improved.don’t be devastated
tatiana91 wrote:
Hello everybody,
I really need some help for my GMAT study

My background
I am a french speaker student from french Africa. So My native tongue is French. I was born and Bread in Africa. I got my french bachelor with 3.5 ( which is pretty hight in french universities ). I completed my graduate studies in Canada finishing with 4.27 on 4.3. So basically I have lived studied and worked on 3 continents
Work experience :
1.5 years for a big four + 1 year as a merger and acquisition analyst for a rapidly growing company, + 1 year as an analyst at the central bank and now I am currently working at a consulting firm as a senior consultant Financial performance and strategy. It will be there for 2 years before applying in 2020

My Goal
I would like to go to LBS, Oxford, and Cambridge to do my MBA so I need to score a 700 for my GMAT

My struggle:
Can somebody give me some strategies or refer me to any good tutor. I need some help, I am so devasted. :cry:

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help Help , I am devasted   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2019, 11:55

Help Help , I am devasted

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep