GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 17:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Help! SC 40%, while CR 97% and RC 88%

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Help! SC 40%, while CR 97% and RC 88%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 08:31
Hey guys,

I have troubles with SC. Because of it, I screwed up my Verbal on a real GMAT test. After that I have been trying to master SC for 2 mo. I have done with MGMAT SC books and E-gmat SC course, but I feel that nothing works, as my SC accuracy is vey low. If someone has had the same issue and fixed it, please let me know. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Help! SC 40%, while CR 97% and RC 88%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 09:49
Hero8888 wrote:
Hey guys,

I have troubles with SC. Because of it, I screwed up my Verbal on a real GMAT test. After that I have been trying to master SC for 2 mo. I have done with MGMAT SC books and E-gmat SC course, but I feel that nothing works, as my SC accuracy is vey low. If someone has had the same issue and fixed it, please let me know. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Hero8888

Yesterday someone posted about the exact same issue. Here is what my response was. Please check this;

https://gmatclub.com/forum/need-help-for-sc-improvement-266509.html#p2067390

Please post if any followup question :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
Project PS Butler - https://gmatclub.com/forum/project-ps-butler-practice-everyday-280904.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 18:24
Thank you! HKD1710
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2018, 00:55
Hi Hero8888! Since you mention SC as your specific area of concern, thought I would mention that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

See here how Mohit, who scored 750 on GMAT, vouches for our book.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 12:07
Hero8888 wrote:
Hey guys,

Start by getting more specific (either in this thread or by reflecting on your own). Are there particular types of SC problems that you're missing? What exactly are you doing to practice - are you keeping an error log? Do you have flashcards, and if so, what do they look like? What usually causes you to miss the SC problems that you miss - did you not know the rule at all, or did you just not notice that the rule applied?

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Seattle and Online

My latest GMAT blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 14:24
ccooley wrote:
Hero8888 wrote:
Hey guys,

Start by getting more specific (either in this thread or by reflecting on your own). Are there particular types of SC problems that you're missing? What exactly are you doing to practice - are you keeping an error log? Do you have flashcards, and if so, what do they look like? What usually causes you to miss the SC problems that you miss - did you not know the rule at all, or did you just not notice that the rule applied?

Hi, ccooley

Thank you for your response. I don't keep error log (although my observation shows that my errors are spreaded among topics almost equaly with keen on modifiers, verb tenses, comparison, and idioms). I solve questions on GCLUB forum. I have GLUBS flashcards, but I have never used them. I know rules, yet I have trubles to apply them: in most of the cases I'm left with 2 options and I always/often pick the wrong one. And even if I get the answer right it takes 2-3 minutes on avarage. Sounds like a mess, and I don't understand why my SC is tooo much behind my CR and RC. Probably something is wrong with my understandig of the format, yet I don't know what exactly :sad:
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 02:34
Hi Hero8888

There's a reason that so many of us recommend working with Error Logs: they can be a very powerful tool for improving your performance. They are as good as the work you put into them.

I teach marketing here in Berlin, and yesterday I used an Eisenhower quote in a discussion of communication planning:
"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable." While a bit exaggerated, the point is that the value lies not in the document, but in the process and conversations that surround creating the document. Something similar is true for Error Logging: the spreadsheet you create is of minor importance compared to the conversations you have with yourself as you create that spreadsheet and as you review its contents.

In your case, I would strongly recommend you start an Error Log today. Get really specific about what you put in it. As ccooley says, "did you not know the rule at all, or did you just not notice that the rule applied?" This is a really important question, because it opens the door to solutions:
* if you didn't know the rule, it's time to go back to the theory and learn the rule
* if you did know the rule but did not notice that the rule applied here, then you have to ask why. Did you mis-read the sentence? Did you get distracted by other issues in the sentence - perhaps your eyes were drawn to the verb tense issue and you failed to see the idiom attached to the verb, for example?

If you say, "I don't know, it was just down to the last two and I picked the wrong one," then you still need to go deeper. What was wrong with your answer choice - specifically? Was there something about the correct answer that you thought was incorrect?

Then, think about what this question has taught you. I encourage my students to have a "Key Takeaway" column in their Error Logs. What do you want to do differently next time? What is the advice you want to give yourself?

Finally, come back and review the Key Takeaways before your next set of practice problems. Get these things fresh in your mind and see if that helps you improve your focus and ultimately improve your performance.

Overall, I would encourage you to view doing practice questions as a way to practice what you have learned, and to research 1) what you don't know, and 2) what you need to do differently. It should not feel like banging your head against a wall.

If you're having trouble getting specific about what is going wrong, spending a few hours with an SC expert could help you pinpoint the issues and save you lots of future frustration.

Best, Jennifer

Professional GMAT Coach with students on 6 continents

New: I've recently launched Bright Outlook Global Prep, helping candidates achieve their higher education goals. We offer classes and private consultation, online and in our Berlin base. Let's get to work!

Personal 99th percentile score (770), including V51. Based in Berlin and previously in Paris, ich spreche auch deutsch/je parle aussi français.
With five years' experience, I am expert in coaching non-native speakers to outstanding performance.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 06:36
jennpt wrote:
Hi Hero8888

There's a reason that so many of us recommend working with Error Logs: they can be a very powerful tool for improving your performance. They are as good as the work you put into them.

Best, Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks a lot I'm starting error log today!
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 10:47
jennpt wrote:
Hi Hero8888

I teach marketing here in Berlin, and yesterday I used an Eisenhower quote in a discussion of communication planning:
"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable." While a bit exaggerated, the point is that the value lies not in the document, but in the process and conversations that surround creating the document. Something similar is true for Error Logging: the spreadsheet you create is of minor importance compared to the conversations you have with yourself as you create that spreadsheet and as you review its contents.

In your case, I would strongly recommend you start an Error Log today. Get really specific about what you put in it. As ccooley says, "did you not know the rule at all, or did you just not notice that the rule applied?" This is a really important question, because it opens the door to solutions:
* if you didn't know the rule, it's time to go back to the theory and learn the rule
* if you did know the rule but did not notice that the rule applied here, then you have to ask why. Did you mis-read the sentence? Did you get distracted by other issues in the sentence - perhaps your eyes were drawn to the verb tense issue and you failed to see the idiom attached to the verb, for example?

If you say, "I don't know, it was just down to the last two and I picked the wrong one," then you still need to go deeper. What was wrong with your answer choice - specifically? Was there something about the correct answer that you thought was incorrect?

Best, Jennifer

hi thanks for such an awesome post i am also facing issues similar to this.

is there any particular format of error log which you suggest, because i have seen some error log and i was not able to comprehend them or sometimes i was even confused what to write in them.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 21:53
IMO, the error log should not be too jazzy but at the same time it should serve the purpose of pointing out the mistakes you have been making repeatedly.

There is a plethora of error logs available on the internet, but the one that is useful is something that you have to think about and create so that it can show YOU the trend of the mistakes that YOU are making.

Initially, I also got really intimidated with these error logs, but later on I created my own error log, which is very simple to comprehend and looks something like this. (in the attachment)

Also, I created a word document (in the attachment) in which I made a note of all the incorrect questions with their answer explanations and a takeaway (a question may be testing SVA but if you have made a mistake in modifiers in the question then that's your takeaway) from that question.

I insist that you revise those questions periodically so that it remains in your brain for a longer time and you know the application when the similar question is tested.

I am no expert here but those were the things that helped me increase my SC accuracy from 30% to 70+%.

P.S.: The documents in the attachment are just to give you an idea of how they look like. You can always modify as per your needs.

Press KUDOS, if it helps!
Attachments

Error Log for SC (GC).xlsx [9.88 KiB]
Downloaded 17 times

To download please login or register as a user

SC Error log - 18 (GC).docx [20.33 KiB]
Downloaded 14 times

To download please login or register as a user

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 14:00
This is one good post with lot of useful information.

jennpt
Thanks for sharing valuable information about importance of error log.

Quote:
In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.

This is one brilliant quote and it made me thinking about my approach. Thanks for sharing that.

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help! SC 40%, while CR 97% and RC 88% &nbs [#permalink] 11 Aug 2018, 14:00

Help! SC 40%, while CR 97% and RC 88%

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap