GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Help!! Tepper vs Kenan-Flagler vs WUSTL Olin ($) vs Owen ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school to choose ?

• 20% [14]
  • 36% [25]
  • 22% [15]
  • 20% [14]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Help!! Tepper vs Kenan-Flagler vs WUSTL Olin ($) vs Owen ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Apr 2015, 06:13
Hi

I am in a big dilemma. I have to make a selection from the above choices very soon.

I am a 26 year old international applicant with 4 years of work experience in an internal consulting profile for a fortune 500 company.

My post MBA goal is to transition to external consulting (Management/Strategy/Operations).

Scholarship is important to me as I would be funding the entire tuition fee through loans. Also, I do not have a work permit in the US so the risk is higher.

Is paying up full tuition at Tepper or UNC KF better than taking the full rides at Owen or Olin ?

Requesting fellow GMAT clubbers and admission consultants to help !

EDIT: Decided on Owen

Originally posted by Hammerhead2015 on 27 Dec 2014, 21:06.
Last edited by Hammerhead2015 on 12 Apr 2015, 06:13, edited 4 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Re: Help!! Tepper vs Kenan-Flagler vs WUSTL Olin ($) vs Owen ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2015, 21:19
Owen seems to be getting the most votes

Any input/perspective will be helpful !

Thank you !
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.49

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2015, 05:43
I would first bring my choices to 2 schools. Lets see.
If you are even thinking about UNC, then might as well prefer tepper over UNC since you dont have scholl from either. So among these 2 schools, lets remove UNC for the time being since tepper is way better when it comes to consulting/ranking/MBB placements.

Now among, owen and olin; i would place both these schools at par although olin enjoys better placement percentage(almost 96%) compared to owen(90%). But i dont think its that big a difference to force you choose olin over owen. Owen is an upcoming school and is on the rise and is located in Nashville which is a wonderful place to spend your 2 years compared to St louis. So aomng these 2 schools, i would choose owen, provided you have full rides from both these schools.

Now, the equation comes down to Owen(full ride) vs Tepper(no $). If you are a die hard fan of MBB and want to just get into these firms, then you might as well give tepper a try. But if you are ok with Deloitte/Pwc, I think you wud do great at Owen.

Plus at tepper you will have a bigger class than owen so if you are a fan of smaller class, then owen is the school for you.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2015, 07:18
As correctly mentioned by Neverbackdown, you should narrow down your choice to two.

I too will recommend choosing between Tepper and Owen

For Tepper
- Better brand value + CMU is a very reputed university internationally
- You will have smarter people around you and it is engineer friendly
- Although not very high in absolute numbers, MBB recruitment is much stronger than Owen
- Better alumni network. Extremely useful if you are targeting consulting

For Owen
- Rising school in a great city (Nashville). I believe it is an underdog in rankings
- Does not place well at MBB but has very good employment statistics overall
- Awesome ROI with $$. You should be better off financially even considering the difference in mean salaries
RSM Erasmus Moderator
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus RSM "22
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2015, 13:39
Hammerhead2015 wrote:
Hi

I am in a big dilemma. I have to make a selection from the above choices very soon.

I am a 25 year old international applicant with 4 years of work experience in an internal consulting (Strategy & Operations) profile for a fortune 500 company (Engineering)

My post MBA goal is to transition to external consulting (Management/Strategy/Operations).

Scholarship is important to me as I would be funding the entire tuition fee through loans. Also, I do not have a work permit in the US so the risk is higher.

Is paying up full tuition at Tepper or UNC KF better than taking the full rides at Owen or Olin ?

Hi,
Congrats for all offers you have received :cool

If it money matters so choose between Olin and Owen, if not choose between Kenan and Tapper.

All what posted about Kenana and Tapper are correct. However, do not underestimate the power of Olin at all. I'm like you in my field. Honsetly, Tapper and Owen did not convince me its operation courses. On the contrary, Kenan and Olin are stronger and operations courses in both will complement your strategy focus also. Strategy are strong in all of them. If ranks matter to you, I think you go to any rank to see that Tapper comes first then Kenan then Olin.

You need to study your options carefully.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2015, 08:23
Thank you guys for such interesting perspectives.

Thanks to you guys, I have narrowed it down to Tepper vs Owen. I have ruled out Olin because it is very similar to Owen in most factors but Owen has a better location, Nashville, which will be a great place to spend two years.

But between the two though (Tepper & Owen), I am absolutely confused.

Tepper definitely has better reputation/network/prestige but I am still not sure if it is worth the $100K debt I will be graduating with. I also have to consider the fact that I am an international without a work visa and the risk associated with it. Is the extra debt worth it ?

On the other hand, how much more difficult would it be to recruit for tier 1 or 2 consulting firms from Owen ? I am willing to do the leg work but consulting firms do look for "b school prestige" factor.

Any thoughts from people who have faced a similar dilemma would be really helpful !
RSM Erasmus Moderator
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus RSM "22
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2015, 08:54
Hammerhead2015 wrote:

Thanks to you guys, I have narrowed it down to Tepper vs Owen. I have ruled out Olin because it is very similar to Owen in most factors but Owen has a better location, Nashville, which will be a great place to spend two years.

But between the two though (Tepper & Owen), I am absolutely confused.

Tepper definitely has better reputation/network/prestige but I am still not sure if it is worth the $100K debt I will be graduating with. I also have to consider the fact that I am an international without a work visa and the risk associated with it. Is the extra debt worth it ?

On the other hand, how much more difficult would it be to recruit for tier 1 or 2 consulting firms from Owen ? I am willing to do the leg work but consulting firms do look for "b school prestige" factor.

Any thoughts from people who have faced a similar dilemma would be really helpful !

Hi,

I have attached below link for comparison between Tepper & Owen

http://issuu.com/vanderbiltowen/docs/mb ... 09/5992306 .......go to last page to see recruitment list

http://tepper.cmu.edu/prospective-stude ... s/industry ..................choose consulting list.

I hope you can review the consulting firms.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.72
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Jan 2015, 05:54
Hammerhead2015 wrote:

My opinion, is it is absolutely NOT worth the extra $100k. I'd take the $ and run so you can pursue any option you'd like once you graduate without having to worry about a $120k+ loan bill for a school that isn't hugely better. Plus, what if you get to school and decide you don't want to do consulting? Then that loan bill will become much more daunting.

The peace of mind alone is worth it! Plus, Nashville is awesome :) This coming from a Pittsburgher.

Originally posted by bjb5228 on 25 Jan 2015, 09:44.
Last edited by bjb5228 on 26 Jan 2015, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.49

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 05:24
bjb5228 wrote:
Hammerhead2015 wrote:

My opinion, is it is absolutely NOT worth the extra $100k. I'd take the $ and run so you can pursue any option once you like once you graduate without worrying about a $120k+ loan bill for a school that isn't hugely better. Plus, what if you get to school and decide you don't want to do consulting? Then that loan bill will become much more daunting.

The peace of mind alone is worth it! Plus, Nashville is awesome :) This coming from a Pittsburgher.

Being an international student myself, even i would have chosen Owen in the end because of the $.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2015, 08:45
I agree with bjb and Neverbackdown. Take the $$ at Vandy ... or try negotiating with Tepper :gl
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 01:18
Thank you guys. Your inputs are really helpful.

I have being doing my research on Tepper and Owen and I am leaning towards Owen as well.

An interesting perspective for choosing a school is Brand * Hard work = Result

It would be relatively easier to recruit at Tepper but I am ready to do work hard and let go of the debt. If Tepper gave me any scholarship I would go ahead and consider it but the value proposition of Owen is currently higher for me.

I am yet to make the final decision (I have some R1 waitlists as well) and will update once done.

Meanwhile, if anyone has any further inputs at all, please share !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2015, 21:35
Reach out to some current students from both Tepper and Owen, specifically those recruiting for management consulting. See how the consulting clubs differ and what resources exist that may not in the other school.
Concentration: Technology
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
GPA: 3.15
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2015, 08:55
I would go to Temper
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 08:21
Hammerhead2015 wrote:
Hi

I am a 25 year old international applicant with 4 years of work experience in an internal consulting (Strategy & Operations) profile for a fortune 500 company (Engineering)

If your goal is to do management consulting I'd say Kenan-Flagler or Tepper. If it's $$ that is important I think Owen might be a good compromise - they seem to place in consulting but also are giving you scholarship

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2015, 08:33
Have you made a decision ?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2015, 06:08
Yes, after a good amount of information overdose and analysis paralysis, I have finally decided to go for Owen. I guess that's what the votes say as well.

Thank you all for your valuable inputs!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help!! Tepper vs Kenan-Flagler vs WUSTL Olin ($) vs Owen ($)   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2015, 06:08

Help!! Tepper vs Kenan-Flagler vs WUSTL Olin ($) vs Owen ($)

new topic post reply Update application status