Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3792 [5]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3792 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3792 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Re: Calling all McDonough Applicants:(2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Reserved post.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 546
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hello Folks!
Innnn for Round one for sure.
Thanks
Celestial
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
hey guys,

so whats your take on mcdonough essay?..plain and simple, 1 essay, "Why you?"
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM

Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business has recently revamped its admissions website, but the changes don’t extend to the MBA essays within the 2015-2016 application. Once again, the Georgetown MBA essays are:
  • Essay One: We would like to learn more about you. Please answer the following essay question in 750 words or less: “Why you?”
  • Optional Essay One: If you are not currently employed full-time, use this essay to provide information about your current activities. (250 words or fewer)
  • Optional Essay Two: Please provide any information you would like to add to your application that you have not otherwise included. (500 words or fewer)
  • Re-Applicant Essay: How have you strengthened your candidacy since your last application? We are particularly interested in hearing about how you have grown professionally and personally. (500 words or fewer)

The MBA admissions team urges applicants to tell their own unique story, and says when responding to the only required essay, be authentic and take time to reflect on your goals and past experiences. Craft a response that explains how these experiences led you to pursue an MBA.

For more information, please visit the Georgetown MBA admissions website.
You may also be interested in:
Georgetown MBA Program 2015-2016 Application Deadlines

Georgetown McDonough’s New Global Real Estate Center

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I'm a 2nd year at MSB, and glad to answer any questions about student life, interviews or any other topic you'd like.

I also want to recommend a really cool resource that has been very helpful to me the past year. It's called pymetrics. pymetrics is a neuroscience game-based career assessment test that reveals your top cognitive and social traits. You then receive a full career profile with your top industries, company and job matches. pymetrics is a recruiting platform, so you can actually find a job and internship through the site; that's how I found my MBA internship.

Best of all, it's free! Check it out:
https://bit.ly/1JxEviS
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
In for Round 1.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy
Send PM
In for Round 1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey, Can somebody please tell me about the recruitment in McDonough?...I hear most of the consulting firm that recruit (Like Deloitte, PwC, EnY) are for federal consulting for which a green card is a must. Anybody can throw more light on this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
jayanthjanardhan wrote:
Hey, Can somebody please tell me about the recruitment in McDonough?...I hear most of the consulting firm that recruit (Like Deloitte, PwC, EnY) are for federal consulting for which a green card is a must. Anybody can throw more light on this?

Was wondering about the very same thing... wonder if any Alums or current students could share their opinion?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
varunchand wrote:
jayanthjanardhan wrote:

Was wondering about the very same thing... wonder if any Alums or current students could share their opinion?

Hi Varun,

I did speak to a current student about this and turns out it is true. However, there are general consulting roles to which these firms hire, again what proportion is something that is not known. It is clear though that there is some disadvantage if you are not a green card holder and looking for a consulting role.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Is this an active thread? Any current students or alumns here to help out with questions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Send PM
Can somebody throw more light on this? If that's the case, then I might have to reconsider applying to McDonough.

jayanthjanardhan wrote:
varunchand wrote:
jayanthjanardhan wrote:

Hi Varun,

I did speak to a current student about this and turns out it is true. However, there are general consulting roles to which these firms hire, again what proportion is something that is not known. It is clear though that there is some disadvantage if you are not a green card holder and looking for a consulting role.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, I am a second year MBA student at Georgetown MSB. Consulting firms come to MSB not only for Federal consulting but also for commercial clients. Deloitte does a lot of Federal recruiting. EY, PWC and other boutique firms recruit more on commercial side on campus.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
[Received answer through PM; Kudos Given] Thanks!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you very much, Cathy15 and ca662, for taking time from your school schedule for the community and offering advice to prospective applicants. Much appreciated!!

Good luck to all MSB Georgetown applicants!! Use this platform to discuss your application strategy, share ideas and application updates with other applicants.

If anyone is interested in becoming Threadmaster for this school, please PM me.

Good luck!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.97
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Cathy15 wrote:
Hi, I am a second year MBA student at Georgetown MSB. Consulting firms come to MSB not only for Federal consulting but also for commercial clients. Deloitte does a lot of Federal recruiting. EY, PWC and other boutique firms recruit more on commercial side on campus.

Thanks for the information Cathy15. I also heard McKinsey and Bain recruit, and since they don't separate their commercial and public sectors, they hire for non-federal positions.

Can you--or others--expand a bit on the consulting opportunities at MSB? Among current students, what is the perceived pecking order? Any information on standard compensation offered by different firms (and differences between federal and commercial practices)?

I am strongly considering MSB, but worried that my only consulting opportunities will be federal big 4 or boutiques.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM
FROM McDonough Admissions Blog: You know where to find the application instructions and you’ve...

You know where to find the application instructions and you’ve analyzed the Georgetown MBA class profile, but what more can you do to position yourself for success? Katelyn Rosa Stephenson,

assistant dean of MBA Admissions, offers insights into the application process and highlights the qualities we look for in MBA candidates in an Admissions Q&A on Top MBA. Read Stephenson’s application tips and suggestions on how to prepare yourself for the process.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  27   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts