GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 03:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How Specific with Goals Statement

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Anderson '22 (I)
GRE 1: Q164 V160
GPA: 3.23
How Specific with Goals Statement  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 05:26
So I know that the Goals Statement essay is supposed to be rather specific given that they frame it as

Immediately post-MBA my goal is to work as a(n) ___(Role)___ at __(Company)__ within __(Industry)__.

Do they want a specific company? I know I want to go into Consulting with a focus on Healthcare but I'm unsure of which firm.

Can I say

"Immediately post-MBA my goal is to work as a(n) Consultant at a Consulting Firm within Healthcare."

Or does it need to be specific like:

"Immediately post-MBA my goal is to work as a(n) Consultant at GE Healthcare Partners within Healthcare."

Same goes for the 5-10 year plan. I know I want to end up in a strategy role at a mid-sized Pharma company, but as to which is a complete and utter mystery to me. It will depend on so many things.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.5
Re: How Specific with Goals Statement  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 05:55
kvitzthum92 wrote:
So I know that the Goals Statement essay is supposed to be rather specific given that they frame it as

Immediately post-MBA my goal is to work as a(n) ___(Role)___ at __(Company)__ within __(Industry)__.

Do they want a specific company? I know I want to go into Consulting with a focus on Healthcare but I'm unsure of which firm.

Can I say

"Immediately post-MBA my goal is to work as a(n) Consultant at a Consulting Firm within Healthcare."

"Immediately post-MBA my goal is to work as a(n) Consultant at GE Healthcare Partners within Healthcare."

Same goes for the 5-10 year plan. I know I want to end up in a strategy role at a mid-sized Pharma company, but as to which is a complete and utter mystery to me. It will depend on so many things.

Thanks

Hello there,

I would strongly suggest using the name of a specific company even when you're not sure that's the one. It definitely is going to be a probable one, so go ahead. If you wouldn't like to write only one, I would do something like: "Immediately post-MBA my goal is to work as a(n) Consultant at GE Healthcare Partners or Whatever Consulting within Healthcare." Instead of "Consulting Firm".

Good luck!
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
How Specific with Goals Statement  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 19:06
You want to specify the company, and I'll tell you why. To look like a low-risk candidate to Career Services you need to know what you plan to do to find an internship. If you get on campus and try to find a job at Acme consulting firm then you don't have much of an action step do you? Specify which firms and start taking action on finding out which firms those are. Start doing your homework. For example Oliver Wyman is a consulting firm that allows you to start in a specific practice area so your plans of going into Healthcare would make sense. However with many other top consulting firms you don't have the ability to Define the practice area right from the go. The business school expects for you to know this... they don't want you to get to business school and hope to pitch it over the fence so they can fix it for you. Long range plan I would just really sort out the variables that things depend upon and take a stand for a goal. One of the values of business school is leadership and you will need to show that you are implementing leadership in your own life, rather than indicating that you'll be tossed about in The Winds of fate. You need to let them know what your current thinking is, this is a way for them to evaluate how you have thought things through.

="kvitzthum92"]So I know that the Goals Statement essay is supposed to be rather specific given that they frame it as

Can I say

Thanks[/quote]

Posted from my mobile device
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: How Specific with Goals Statement  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 20:24
kvitzthum92 wrote:

Can I say

Thanks

You want to be specific with company names ans sub-sectors. If you want to be in Healthcare consulting, in order to be considered a imminently employable future student, you need to know what options you are going to go after and that you won't be floundering in the face FOMO and *lots* of choice. AdComs are knowledgeable about employers and the programs they offer. For Healthcare Consulting, it might make sense to talk about LEK or ZS - niche practices with serious healthcare chops - rather than McK or Bain where you'll likely be a generalist for the first few years. If you aren't totally sure about the company for 5-7 years out, then narrow down the space (e.g., biologics, pharma, med devices) and PICK A MARQUIS PLAYER THAT ACTIVELY RECRUITS AT THE SCHOOL. If you are looking in at biotech, for instance, Amgen and Genentech are both great, but look and see which one has a longer and better recruiting relationship with the school in question, and choose the one that does. Schools want to see that you know what you want. They don't want you to be applying to b-school to "find yourself." Given the framing in the prompt here, it's imperative that you be as specific as possible.

Choosing your proposed employer should be part of a well thought-through admissions strategy. You need to choose something that's both very ambitious but also imminently achievable based on proven historical success. It may help to talk to an MBA admissions consultant about how your proposed employer syncs with your overall admissions strategy. Feel free to reach out here if a free consultation may be helpful to you. Pour yourself into that form -- https://admissionado.com/free-consultat ... sultation/ the more info we get about your historical work and your future ambitions, the more effective we can be in guiding you.

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How Specific with Goals Statement   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2019, 20:24

How Specific with Goals Statement

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: vinayakvaish, chanjaso