GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 20 May 2018, 18:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to attack RC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
How to attack RC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 13:50
This post received
KUDOS
Hi

If you have decided to go ahead and invest time reading this then I presume that you are struggling with your RCs, either with timing or with understanding. Just a disclaimer before you start, this article does not present any full proof formula which promises success in RCs but I plan to discuss something that I followed and which helped me immensely. How you should use this advice? Well, just go through it and then apply to a few RC questions in a timed and pressure environment, if you feel that this has made any difference, then I guess you must just practice it more and aim for better efficiency and accurancy, but if it is otherwise, then I would suggest to look for something else.

To get a context about my preparation you can refer to my GMAT journey from 630 to 750 in 15 days(search for: Journey: Mock-750 to Official-630 to Official-750 )

I have been decent in spoken English, but when it comes to rules of English grammar, it has been something of concern for me. I am the kind of guy your tutors have told to stay away from i.e. I go by the rule that it sounds good some 70% of the times when solving questions. Hence SC was always a challenge for me, but I considered CR ad RC as my compensatory areas, so I tried to do best in these 2 and let my SC lag.

RC Strategy-

1.The first thing that I applied to my RC preparation was to create a map of what I read. I would read a sentence or 2 and then try to write it down in 3-4 words and then carry on until that particular paragraph is finished. After the finishing of the paragraph, I would write down in a word or two, about what paragraph dealt with and what was authors aim by that paragraph(for. eg it presented examples to some view, or it strengthened a hypothesis etc.)

2.Not all paragraphs are simple to read and I have been a slow reader hence whenever there was some difficult part that came up, I used to slow down further and read that part twice or even thrice at some point, it turns out that you must never ever do that. Just follow one simple rule, read through the lines and try to make the most out of it and then move on. There is no need for you to memorize the paragraph. Even in the main exam there were instances when I had a full sentence of which i could not deduce the meaning, i just skipped it, because if it didnt strike you the first time, there is minimal chance of it doing the second time. This is a very low risk gamble because you will for sure deduce the relevance of the whole paragraph and there is very small chance of detailed question coming from that part of the paragraph that you skipped.

3.As soon as you are done with this reading, write in 1-2 words what was paragraph trying to accomplish(e.g. comparing methods, discussing events etc.) and also a basic structure as to what was the role of individual paragraphs. Also try finding the conclusion of the passage.

And that is it. This will help you to solve all the possible questions which are GMAT level. Now this map that you have created can be used to answer questions, but most of the times there will be no need to revisit it, because the first time when you wrote those things, it will create a picture of the things in your head, but still if you need, this is infront of you.

The questions would mostly be
1.What is the significance of a particular word or line in the passage, you can simply visit the importance of the paragraph in question and then answer accordingly.
2.What does author agree with, just get the entire essence of the passage and then individual paragraphs.

DONT'S

1.Make sure that you do not end up creating another paragraph, be strict on the word limit. You want to ease your life andnot make it tougher.

2.Do not try to memorize stuff, GMAT is an exam that tests your accuracy along with time pressure hence there is no room for you to memorize stuff

3.Do not revisit a sentence. This might involve some practice but this must be followed with care. This is the trap where in most of us struggle, it is just a pit stop without any mechanics, you will fell that reading again will clear the meaning, but nothing happens.

This strategy keeps in check the time that you spend on each question. And these strategies hold good only if you have practiced them and come to conclusion that they apply to you.

I hope this helps people. I am bad at writing hence there might be few things that are not clear, You can comment below and I will make the necessary edits.

All the Best guys! Nail it!!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: How to attack RC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 00:26
Awesome Article.
Thanks for your efforts :-)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Re: How to attack RC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 21:50
KG2012 wrote:
Awesome Article.
Thanks for your efforts :-)

I am glad that you found it helpful.
Re: How to attack RC   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2018, 21:50

How to attack RC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap