GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Sep 2018, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

how to lose weight

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2017
Posts: 7
Location: United States
how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 23:33
I have gained a lot of pounds ever since I joined my job.I consume approximately the same number of calories which i used to take prior to taking on my job.
I don't eat any junk food. Please help.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 94
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.05
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 20:30
Hi BackOfficePro

I can understand your concern. Basically, you are bothered by the fact that without increasing your dietary intake, you have put on weight.
Few things to consider before zeroing in on your problem!

1. Is the new work environment stressful? Increase in mental stress can increase your sympathetic activity which can lead to high stress hormones, result: water retention and fat conservation. A good way to avoid stress can be to workout (Strength Training) or go for a cardiovascular exercise (Cycling, running) for atleast an hour a day to get your mind off.

2. If your work environment is not stressful, have you altered the type of calories you consume? for example new workplace can have meals which are calorie dense. So you might think you are consuming same amount of calories, but instead you are consuming much more. Do a dietary audit!!!

3. Fluids. Many a times we substitute water with carbonated drinks, sugerfree or not, these drinks dehydrate us further and cause us to consume more and more. The net effect is high calorie intake through fluids.

4. To lose weight (Without any harmful effects) try to increase protein intake . The leaner the protien, the better. Prefer Chicken, Eggs over red meat. Decrease the portion size and increase the meal frequency.

Hope this will help. If you have anymore issues, I would be more than happy to help a colleague out!!

Cheers.
_________________

Sometimes you have to burn yourself to the ground before you can rise like a phoenix from the ashes.

Dr. Pratik



Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Status: NA
Affiliations: NA
Joined: 07 Jul 2017
Posts: 63
Joseph: N
Reviews Badge
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 07:02
When I was in the process of trying to lose weight, I found it helpful to be gradual with my changes to my lifestyle. The first thing I found helpful was drinking much more water than previously. I would aim for 8-10 glasses of water a day, and because of this, I was way better able to satisfy my hunger with a reasonable calorie load. I hope you have great success with your health goals
Manager
Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 13 Aug 2015
Posts: 211
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.82
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 07:18
1
Exercise, exercise and exercise. Drink lemon water instead of just water.


Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum
_________________

If you like my posts, please give kudos. Help me unlock gmatclub tests.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Aug 2017
Posts: 7
CAT Tests
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 09:12
There are few pointers i will give you from my experiment s with weight loss
1.Add boiled egg whites to your diet . 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening .
2) Reduce your carb intake .If you eat 1 plate eat half . You dont feel hungry if you drink a lot of water.
3) avoid tea coffee at work .Its hard but believe me it works .
4 ) for emergency times keep some peanuts or almonds with you .
5 ) never eat a lot after 9 .

Last - exercise - skipping is the best start with 500 counts morning and evening and then pushups and squats .

Trust me it helps .

note - increase your exercise if you hit a plateau . increase your protein intake if you feel tired a lot.




Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 13 Aug 2015
Posts: 211
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.82
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 20:15
souravsaggar wrote:
There are few pointers i will give you from my experiment s with weight loss
1.Add boiled egg whites to your diet . 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening .
2) Reduce your carb intake .If you eat 1 plate eat half . You dont feel hungry if you drink a lot of water.
3) avoid tea coffee at work .Its hard but believe me it works .
4 ) for emergency times keep some peanuts or almonds with you .
5 ) never eat a lot after 9 .

Last - exercise - skipping is the best start with 500 counts morning and evening and then pushups and squats .

Trust me it helps .

note - increase your exercise if you hit a plateau . increase your protein intake if you feel tired a lot.




Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

These ideas sound great and practical. +1
_________________

If you like my posts, please give kudos. Help me unlock gmatclub tests.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2017
Posts: 6
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 06:30
What works for me:
Walking more.
Drinking more water.
Not eating 3 hours before bed.
Making portions smaller.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Aug 2017
Posts: 4
Location: United States (AL)
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.33
WE: Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Reviews Badge
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 21:43
i would recommend eating more smaller, lighter meals throughout the day rather than larger, fewer meals. the other posts really do a good job of boiling the problem down to its easiest solution: exercise is your best friend and there's no real way around it.

i would also add the following: stress and a lack of sleep can lead to weight gain.

we all wish you the best!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 94
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.05
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 23:15
e1414 wrote:
i would recommend eating more smaller, lighter meals throughout the day rather than larger, fewer meals. the other posts really do a good job of boiling the problem down to its easiest solution: exercise is your best friend and there's no real way around it.

i would also add the following: stress and a lack of sleep can lead to weight gain.

we all wish you the best!

e1414
well said
Many people underestimate how much of a role stress can play on the metabolic control of the body!
_________________

Sometimes you have to burn yourself to the ground before you can rise like a phoenix from the ashes.

Dr. Pratik



Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Dec 2016
Posts: 11
GPA: 3.1
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 10:03
fitzpratik wrote:
Hi BackOfficePro

I can understand your concern. Basically, you are bothered by the fact that without increasing your dietary intake, you have put on weight.
Few things to consider before zeroing in on your problem!

1. Is the new work environment stressful? Increase in mental stress can increase your sympathetic activity which can lead to high stress hormones, result: water retention and fat conservation. A good way to avoid stress can be to workout (Strength Training) or go for a cardiovascular exercise (Cycling, running) for atleast an hour a day to get your mind off.

2. If your work environment is not stressful, have you altered the type of calories you consume? for example new workplace can have meals which are calorie dense. So you might think you are consuming same amount of calories, but instead you are consuming much more. Do a dietary audit!!!

3. Fluids. Many a times we substitute water with carbonated drinks, sugerfree or not, these drinks dehydrate us further and cause us to consume more and more. The net effect is high calorie intake through fluids.

4. To lose weight (Without any harmful effects) try to increase protein intake . The leaner the protien, the better. Prefer Chicken, Eggs over red meat. Decrease the portion size and increase the meal frequency.

Hope this will help. If you have anymore issues, I would be more than happy to help a colleague out!!

Cheers.

Even meditation may help.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2017
Posts: 6
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 04:23
souravsaggar wrote:
There are few pointers i will give you from my experiment s with weight loss
1.Add boiled egg whites to your diet . 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening .
2) Reduce your carb intake .If you eat 1 plate eat half . You dont feel hungry if you drink a lot of water.
3) avoid tea coffee at work .Its hard but believe me it works .
4 ) for emergency times keep some peanuts or almonds with you .
5 ) never eat a lot after 9 .

Last - exercise - skipping is the best start with 500 counts morning and evening and then pushups and squats .

Trust me it helps .

note - increase your exercise if you hit a plateau . increase your protein intake if you feel tired a lot.


Thanks a lot for great tips! But why should I avoid drinking tea?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2017
Posts: 7
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 09:02
How to keep yourself motivated? That is the question.
_________________

“Once we realize that imperfect understanding is the human condition, there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct our mistakes.”

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2017
Posts: 4
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 20:26
mkrishnabdrr wrote:
Exercise, exercise and exercise. Drink lemon water instead of just water.


Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum

Stress made me gain weight. Yeah, drinking lemon is magical!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2017
Posts: 7
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 00:37
childlikecroissant wrote:
mkrishnabdrr wrote:
Exercise, exercise and exercise. Drink lemon water instead of just water.


Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum

Stress made me gain weight. Yeah, drinking lemon is magical!


I like to also add mint and oranges slices to my water. It tastes delicious like this.
_________________

“Once we realize that imperfect understanding is the human condition, there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct our mistakes.”

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2018
Posts: 5
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 00:18
try a keto diet, it's works
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2018
Posts: 6
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 04:35
I would suggest you to practice yoga and it will give you the better way to lose weight and get a perfect body shape also..
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 05 Dec 2016
Posts: 115
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 07:51
BackOfficePro wrote:
I have gained a lot of pounds ever since I joined my job.I consume approximately the same number of calories which i used to take prior to taking on my job.
I don't eat any junk food. Please help.


you should try logging the food you eat in order to stay at a certain caloric deficit which you need to establish if you want to lose weight . Furthermore you should consider using a tracking device like fitbit or garmin to keep help you determine the calories you burn and hence the food you need to consume :) good luck !
_________________

lets all unite to reach our target together

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2018
Posts: 8
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 01:48
I think more than the work out diet is important for weight lose. You are what you eat.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2017
Posts: 6
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 11:00
Eat food that is more filling but lower in calories, you can search online there are a lot. Diet is the most important thing. Then it comes to working out. You gotta do cardio, empty stomach in the morning when you wake up is the best way to burn fat.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2018
Posts: 4
Re: how to lose weight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 11:41
If you want to lose the weight, you must clarify the type of the goods you are looking to live with. One type of people lose their weight while the process of removing the food with the energetic elements that are carbohydrates. Some of people lose their weight without fats. That is why it is better to find out the reasons of such situation and then to get the physical trainings like gym or running. Or anything else. If you are looking for the main aspects in losing of the weight, you must clarify these ones first and then to start.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: how to lose weight &nbs [#permalink] 13 May 2018, 11:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

how to lose weight

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.