GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 06:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 4 Tips for Interviews

January 18, 2019

January 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

4 tips that will help you prepare for MBA interviews
  • Personal MBA Coach’s Overview of Top EMBA Programs

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

Personal MBA Coach's Overview of Top EMBA Programs eBook To download for free, join our mailing list and receive weekly tips on perfecting your MBA applications

I'm really unsure of my candidacy

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
I'm really unsure of my candidacy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 17:08
I have a 710 GMAT

My cumulative undergraduate GPA is a 2.8 (I blame on my poor attitude)

I will be applying with 2.5 years of WE, 3.5 years of WE at starting MBA. Hired on full time from a temp role, analyst level material. I will have great LORs but my overall experience has been a support role rather than a leader role.

I have a very unique life story (.0000001%) of which I think makes up for my GPA (Refreshed my poor attitude, turned my whole life around).

I'm putting together my list of schools to apply to this fall.. I'm looking to be in a real estate concentration.

I'm also planning on retaking the GMAT, shooting for a 730+.

My list of schools:

Penn(Wharton)
Kellogg
Cornell
UCLA
UT Austin
UNC
Vanderbilt
Georgetown
UW
USC
SMU

I really just am unsure of where I lie as a candidate. I truly have a VERY unique life story. I got hired on from a temp role and while I do some management type of tasks, my main role is more supportive.

I just feel as though my WE and GPA are lacking. My life story, I think, helps me here, but I'm unsure as to how much. It really is VERY unique and significant, life struggle etc, but I'm unsure as to how much of a role it will play.

Am I being realistic with these schools?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: I'm really unsure of my candidacy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 18:03
Not commenting on your candidacy, but I'd like to suggest you reflect to address certain inconsistencies in your profile. For instance, Real Estate isn't typically a feeder industry for MBA schools. So, how will an MBA help you? Also, your school selection seems off. SMU and Wharton on the same list? I understand your insecurity but you must surely be sufficiently aware to know whether you're a T-15 applicant or a T-50 applicant. Again, I'm not making any judgments, but right now it seems a bit... all of over the place. If you have a unique story and realistic goals (730 GMAT never hurts), you could articulate it effectively to get an MBA admit, but at this point, I believe you must reflect more on your journey for all this to make sense.

The importance of mindset on the GMAT - 640 to 690 to 740 (Q49 V42) : https://bit.ly/2R1WaK5

INSEAD Thread Master
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 18:18
I would recommend that you retake the GMAT to make up for the GPA issue.

And that you focus your school list on schools that will give you the opportunity to leverage what you see is your biggest strength, your story. As odd as it might sound you might want to think about Harvard and Stanford because they do allow you to give them your story. Whereas Wharton is about goals and teamwork so would that be a good forum for what you see is your biggest Ace in the Hole?

I would also like to see you cull your school list down to schools that are real estate oriented or rather have something of value to offer you so that you could discuss this with the goals and the why the school question.

Make sure to do the proper research and informational interviews with the people who are doing the job that you want to get.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 22:04
My two cents: AS your experience is not much your GPA will be a factor but you can balance it out with high GMAT score. As you mentioned your work profie you said you got confirmed from temp. how much is temp and how much is permanent? Leadership experience is required not specifically from your work ex but also from your life. you can use that. You can even try getting some leadership experience before your application submission. take more responsibilities at work. Skew your schools a bit. focus on less number of application and submit higher quality apps.

kmck357 wrote:
I have a 710 GMAT

My cumulative undergraduate GPA is a 2.8 (I blame on my poor attitude)

Am I being realistic with these schools?

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: I'm really unsure of my candidacy &nbs [#permalink] 13 Jan 2019, 22:04

I'm really unsure of my candidacy

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap