GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

If 4/x < 1/3 , what is the possible range of values of x?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Re: If 4/x < 1/3 , what is the possible range of values of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2015, 01:45
Intern
Intern
If 4/x < 1/3 , what is the possible range of values of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Oct 2016, 09:44
If 4/x < -(1/3), what is the possible range of values for x?
A. -12<x<0
B. x>-12
C. x<12
D. x<-12
E. -12<x<0

~Need Kudos to unlock GMAT Club Tests. Please help if you like the question! :-D

Abhishek009 MERGED TOPIC

Originally posted by @p00rv@ on 07 Oct 2016, 09:29.
Last edited by Abhishek009 on 07 Oct 2016, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Merged
Retired Moderator
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Oct 2016, 05:05
[quote="@p00rv@"]If 4/x < -(1/3), what is the possible range of values for x?
A. -12<x<0
B. x>-12
C. x<12
D. x<-12
E. -12<x<0

4/x<-1/3 ......multiply by -3 and reverse sign of inequality

-12/x>1 .......... reverse again 12/x < -1 , -12<x<0

Originally posted by yezz on 08 Oct 2016, 04:21.
Last edited by yezz on 08 Oct 2016, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 04:36
@p00rv@ wrote:
A. -12<x<0
B. x>-12
C. x<12
D. x<-12
E. -12<x<0

~Need Kudos to unlock GMAT Club Tests. Please help if you like the question! :-D

Abhishek009 MERGED TOPIC

@Abhishek009: The question posted by me is different from the question in this thread in the way that it contains a "negative" term and so the answers will also be different for the 2 questions albeit yes method to solve will be the same. I did check this question before posting mine, so does that mean if questions are pretty much based on similar concepts we need not post them separately? Apologies for the inconvenience if that's the case.

~Kudos are free. Be generous to spend one :-D
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 04:47
yezz wrote:
@p00rv@ wrote:
A. -12<x<0
B. x>-12
C. x<12
D. x<-12
E. -12<x<0

-12/x>1 .......... reverse again 12/x < -1 , -12>x

No. that is not the OA. if you will solve it by the method explained in this thread, you will come to know the correct answer which is A.

Retired Moderator
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 05:05
@p00rv@ wrote:
yezz wrote:
@p00rv@ wrote:
A. -12<x<0
B. x>-12
C. x<12
D. x<-12
E. -12<x<0

-12/x>1 .......... reverse again 12/x < -1 , -12>x

No. that is not the OA. if you will solve it by the method explained in this thread, you will come to know the correct answer which is A.

U r right another silly mistake ... I edited

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
S
Schools: IIM-A"19

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2017, 11:15
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
NvrEvrGvUp wrote:
Gotta bump this back up because I'm stuck on what should be a very simple inequalities problem.

Given: \(\frac{4}{x}\) < -\(\frac{1}{3}\), I simplified the equation to: 12 < -x by cross-multiplying

Now, we have 2 scenarios:

1. x > 0 : no sign changes in 12 < -x, so x < -12. However, since we know x > 0, this scenario is impossible.

2. x < 0 : 12 < -x should become 12 < -(-x) so wouldn't this just be 12 < x? However, given x < 0, this scenario doesn't appear possible either.

Can someone please point out the obvious? It's driving me crazy...

First of all, the actual question is \(\frac{4}{x}\) < \(\frac{1}{3}\) (there is no negative with 1/3)

Also, you know what you have to do but you probably do not understand why you have to do it. That is why you are facing problem in this question.

Given: \(\frac{4}{x}\) < -\(\frac{1}{3}\), I simplified the equation to: 12 < -x by cross-multiplying

There is a problem here. You don't cross multiply and then take cases. You take cases and then cross multiply. Why? Because you CANNOT cross multiply till you know (or assume) the sign of x. The result of the cross multiplication depends on whether x is positive or negative. So you need to take cases and then cross multiply.

Case 1: x > 0
12 < x

Case 2: x < 0
12 > x (note that the sign has flipped here because you are multiplying by a negative number)
x should be less than 12 AND less than 0 so the range in x < 0.

Hence, two cases: x > 12 or x < 0.

Also because x is negative, you cannot just multiply it by -1 to make -x = x. That is certainly not correct. -x is positive and x is negative. They are not equal if x is not 0.

I still dont understand when x < -12, how can we say x < 0. Since if x = -7, -6 it is not valid for x < -12. ( I understand the other range x > 12)

Thank You Very Much,
CoolKl
Success is the Journey from Knowing to Doing

A Kudo is a gesture, to express the effort helped. Thanks for your Kudos.

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 05:36
coolkl wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
NvrEvrGvUp wrote:
Gotta bump this back up because I'm stuck on what should be a very simple inequalities problem.

Now, we have 2 scenarios:

1. x > 0 : no sign changes in 12 < -x, so x < -12. However, since we know x > 0, this scenario is impossible.

2. x < 0 : 12 < -x should become 12 < -(-x) so wouldn't this just be 12 < x? However, given x < 0, this scenario doesn't appear possible either.

Can someone please point out the obvious? It's driving me crazy...

First of all, the actual question is \(\frac{4}{x}\) < \(\frac{1}{3}\) (there is no negative with 1/3)

Also, you know what you have to do but you probably do not understand why you have to do it. That is why you are facing problem in this question.

There is a problem here. You don't cross multiply and then take cases. You take cases and then cross multiply. Why? Because you CANNOT cross multiply till you know (or assume) the sign of x. The result of the cross multiplication depends on whether x is positive or negative. So you need to take cases and then cross multiply.

Case 1: x > 0
12 < x

Case 2: x < 0
12 > x (note that the sign has flipped here because you are multiplying by a negative number)
x should be less than 12 AND less than 0 so the range in x < 0.

Hence, two cases: x > 12 or x < 0.

Also because x is negative, you cannot just multiply it by -1 to make -x = x. That is certainly not correct. -x is positive and x is negative. They are not equal if x is not 0.

I still dont understand when x < -12, how can we say x < 0. Since if x = -7, -6 it is not valid for x < -12. ( I understand the other range x > 12)

Because if x < -12, then for any possible x would be true to say that it's less than 0, or less than 1,000,000.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 13:04
I would like to share a nice approach.
4/X -> iperbole very similae to 1/x
1/3 -> streight line
so the solutions must be something all values at the left of the intersection of the graphs( on the first quadrant) to find the point just put (4/x)=1/3 x=12 ---> x<12
If you know the graph of 1/x this explanation will be very clear.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 13:04
I would like to share a nice approach.
4/X -> iperbole very similae to 1/x
1/3 -> streight line
so the solutions must be something all values at the left of the intersection of the graphs( on the first quadrant) to find the point just put (4/x)=1/3 x=12 ---> x<12
If you know the graph of 1/x this explanation will be very clear.
Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 10:31
There's a mistake in your second result:

x < 12 & x < 0 therefore x < 0 (instead of x < 12 )
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Re: If 4/x <1/3, what is the possible range of values for x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 14:10
We need to consider two cases - when x is positive and when x is negative.

when x is positive - x > 12
when x is negative - x < 0

0 < x > 12

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Re: If 4/x <1/3, what is the possible range of values for x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 14:12
fluke wrote:
GMATD11 wrote:
we can't change the inequality when we have -ve nd RHS +ve in reciprocal

10) If 4/x <1/3, what is the possible range of values for x?

We need to consider 2 cases

Case 1 x is +ve

x>12

Case 2 when we consider x as -ve we will have Left hand side -ve but right hand side +ve so in that case we cnt flip the inequality.
But OA is showing both x>12 nd x<12

Pls comment which condition is wrong.

thanks

4/x <1/3
12/x-1<0
(12-x)/x < 0

Means either numerator or denominators is -ve:

Case I:
If Denominator is -ve.
x<0 ------1

Numerator must be +ve
12-x > 0
-x > -12
x< 12--------------2

In equation 1 and 2, 1 is more restrictive:
x<0

Case II:
If Denominator is +ve.
x>0 ------3

Numerator must be -ve
12-x < 0
-x < -12
x > 12

In equation 3 and 4, 4 is more restrictive:
x>12

Thus;
complete Range of x:

x<0 or x>12

Long explanation - but very well explained. Good to understand the concept part. Great Job.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 21:42
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If 4/x < 1/3 , what is the possible range of values of x? &nbs [#permalink] 26 Nov 2018, 21:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

If 4/x < 1/3 , what is the possible range of values of x?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap