Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which Program?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
IESEx   IMDx   
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: IMD '21 (WA)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Masters of Science Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [2]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: IMD '21 (WA)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: IMD or IESE? Advice needed [#permalink]
Thanks a lot Leadership for the detailed explanation. Another aspect which is making me weigh in favour of IMD is the fact that Swiss economy is expected to be a safer bet than the other economies in Europe. That may increase my chances of finding employment in Switzerland after MBA.

Leadership wrote:
Hi rkv87 ..
Congratulation on the admits again :P
I have attended the campus open day of both and researched a lot about them. Both are fantastic.
IESE's exceptional point is its case studies method. IESE has a good reputation for consulting and entrepreneurship. 19 months is a good time to TRY something new (it's normal when people explore other industries after entering the school). Also, an internship opportunity is always good.
BUT let's focus not only on the qualities of the school but also on your profile that suits with IMD. I explain you why -

1. You have a huge experience of 11 years and should be around 32 years of age. Both of these aspects match IMD's classroom.
2. You have a better chance to go in your targeted industries
3. IMD's ICP and global expedition would be helpful
4. Short 11 months :)
5. Reputation in Europe for industries

Now, there are some things that you need to consider:

1. 11 months is short and 19 months is long. The total cost of both MBAs would approximately be the same. Somewhere around Euro 130k-140k.
2. After 11 months at IMD, you might get a short extension (around 1-2 months). So, you need to get the job quickly. I do not know whether Spain gives an extension or not. Kindly check.
3. Your age factor might play against you in the case of IESE.

The future is uncertain, so we cannot really comment on what will happen in the upcoming months or a year. I hope the above points would help with your decision. If I were in your place, I would go to IMD. :inlove:
Feel free to PM me for further discussion.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
IMD or IESE? Advice needed [#permalink]
rkv87 ..
Sure, if you compare opportunities in Switzerland than in Spain. Go for IMD :)
I might see you in IMD :tongue_opt3 (if I get an admit :angel: )
rkv87 wrote:
Thanks a lot Leadership for the detailed explanation. Another aspect which is making me weigh in favour of IMD is the fact that Swiss economy is expected to be a safer bet than the other economies in Europe. That may increase my chances of finding employment in Switzerland after MBA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V45
Send PM
voted for IESE because based on your profile, it sounds like it would be hard to pivot without an internship
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Congrats on your admit to two great schools! Your analysis + the others who have commented basically covered the pros/cons of each schools, but will share my opinion. I think you won't regret either way, but I think there are 2 things that need to be thought through.

1. Internship
It seems like you are looking to change industry+function, so I believe an internship would definitely help. IESE has that opportunity, IMD does not. Also, IESE has 2nd year students that could provide advice to help you through the transition.

2. Covid impact
I think IESE starts in Sept vs IMD starts in Jan. However IESE has a longer program. Also Spain is impacted more severely compared to Switzerland, and IESE is in Barcelona which is a much larger city than Lausanne, and the risk of outbreak is higher in a larger city. There's no way to predict how the situation would be, but it feels like IMD has a slight edge here.

It's a tough choice, I don't know which I would choose if I were in your shoes. I hope you can make the best decision for yourself!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
It depends on what’s the most important thing you want to get out of the MBA. If it’s the experience, IESE and Barcelona is way better. Lausanne is plain boring.

If the main focus is professional, it’d be hard to argue against IMD. Much stronger job market, especially in your top 2 target industries, and a close community with a high % of sponsored students who can open doors to many companies.

In a post COVID world, I’d feel much safer in Switzerland.

Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Analysis makes a good point, expanded upon by others ... an idea to mitigate somewhat ...

Take the admit to IMD ... then use their career services to try to help you get a short term job before you'd start your MBA that could possibly help serve a similar purpose as an internship.

If career services can't / won't help you, then can you hustle your own pre-MBA "internship"?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Date: 09-30-2016
Send PM
How did you decide after all? :-)
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Well done rkv87 . Both are excellent schools. Keep us posted, interested to know which way you went.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts