GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jan 2019, 04:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

January 17, 2019

January 17, 2019

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 07:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (00:43) correct 20% (01:55) wrong based on 371 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 15: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national output of goods as they had in 1970.

(A) twice as much of its national output of goods as they had

(B) double the amount of their national output of goods as they did

(C) twice as much of its national output of goods as it did

(D) double the amount of its national output of goods as it has

(E) twice as much of their national output of goods as they had

The best/excellent answers get kudos. There can be no best answer, or a few excellent answers!

The few, the fearless !

RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 09:00
A , B & E - out - as all of them using they to point the United States - a nation- singular.
D - out - as the in the 2nd part of comparison used wrong verb (has (exported)) wrt the 1st part (exported).
C . Correct .

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '21, ISB '20
WE: Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 09:17
sudarshan22 wrote:

In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national output of goods as they had in 1970.

The best/excellent answers get kudos. There can be no best answer, or a few excellent answers!

The subject in the sentence is United States. At the first glance,we may consider it as plural because of an extra 's'in states however it is singular. Therefore, 'it' is correct usage.
A, B and E eliminated-uses 'they'
The action in 1970 has already occurred before the action done in 1980. Based on this, D is eliminated.
C is the correct answer choice.

+1 Kudos if you find this helpful :)
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 09:19
(A) twice as much of its national output of goods as they had - They cannot point to United States as it is a singular country.

(B) double the amount of their national output of goods as they did - Their cannot point to United States as it is a singular country.

(C) twice as much of its national output of goods as it did - This is correct.

(D) double the amount of its national output of goods as it has - Cannot refer to period in 1970 with present tense hence this is incorrect.

(E) twice as much of their national output of goods as they had - Their cannot point to singular country so incorrect.

Also double is a verb and cannot be used for comparisons. For comparison, we use twice, thrice etc.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 09:42
My answer is C:

>>>United States is singular, "they" is incorrect

>>>United States is singular, "they" is incorrect

>>>Correct Idiom: "as.... as..." + correct use of singular form of pronoun "it"

>>>InCorrect Idiom: "double.... as..." + Incorrect use of pronoun "has"

>>>United States is singular, "their, they" is incorrect
Board of Directors
P
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 09:58
sudarshan22 wrote:

Twice as much as is correct usage, errors in other options highlighted in RED.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 11:28
sudarshan22 wrote:

The pronouns should jump out at us. We used "its" and "they" to refer to the United States. These pronouns refer to the same subject, which can't be both singular and plural. I can't eliminate this one fast enough.

Okay, "their" and "they" are at least both plural. But what is our subject? United States. Is the United States plural or singular? I actually had to think about this longer than I'd like to admit. I already gave a hint by asking "Is the United States...." instead of "Are the United States..." ;)

Also, "double the amount of x as y" is not idiomatic.

"Twice as much x as y." That's a good idiom. So we're cool from an idiomatic perspective.

Pronoun check: "its national output of goods as it did....." "its and it" are both singular and clearly refer to United States. Great!

Our pronouns are in good shape, but our idiom is not.

I like this from an idiomatic perspective, but like we mentioned earlier, our "their" and "they" are not appropriate pronouns.

C is our best answer!

D and E are the next closest!

D has the correct pronouns, but idiomatically incorrect.
E is idiomatically correct, but incorrect pronouns.

Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 22:25
(A) twice as much of its national output of goods as they had ---> use of they had at the end is incorrect should suggests us exported twice the amount of good it had in 1970

(B) double the amount of their national output of goods as they did ---> Double the amount is incorrect idiomatic usage

(C) twice as much of its national output of goods as it did ---> Idiomatic usage Twice as much x as y is correct use of it and its is correct

(D) double the amount of its national output of goods as it has ---> Idiom error same as B,

(E) twice as much of their national output of goods as they had ---> pronouns error their and they is incorrect usage
SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 08:40
Official Explanation :

Choice A is incorrect because the plural pronoun they does not agree with its singular noun referent, the United States, and because had cannot substitute for exported.

In choice B, double the amount is a less idiomatic form of comparison than twice as much; also, the plural pronouns their and they are incorrect.

Choice C is best: the form of the comparison is idiomatic, the pronouns agree with the noun referent, and did - the simple past tense of do - can substitute for exported.

Choice D contains double the amount as well as has for exported, and

Choice E is faulty because of their and they had.

The few, the fearless !

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 12:20
A, B and E - wrong use of they
D- idiom issue
correct answer - C

----------------------------------
Plz Kudos! if my post helps....

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 22:17

(A) twice as much of its national output of goods as they had - Pronoun issue "they" can't refer to the US

(B) double the amount of their national output of goods as they did - Pronoun issue "they" can't refer to the US ; double the amount is worse that twice as much

(D) double the amount of its national output of goods as it has - tense issue - it has ;

(E) twice as much of their national output of goods as they had - Pronoun issue "they" can't refer to the US

Answer C

As per ellipses, option C becomes as-
In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national output of goods as it did (export) in 1970.

But for ellipses, shouldn't the omitted words be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form ? Here, exported and export are not in the same form.

------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------
Ellipsis-
This is a case of ellipsis in comparison. In this, some words omitted from the sentence to make it more concise. Both noun and verb can be omitted. The omitted words should be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form.

-"Siri's AI capabilities are better than Alexa's (AI capabilities). - Correct! ("AI capabilities" is implied)

- Siri is smarter than Alexa (is). - Correct! ("is" is implied)

Siri is smarter than Alexa and Cortana are -- Here we CANNOT omit "are" since the verb in the earlier part is "is"?

Q1-For ellipsis, is it NECESSARY that the omitted words should be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form?

Q2- Also, are there any other rules/exceptions for ellipses other than two listed below.

The omission of a noun for concision is straightforward. Just make sure that the 2 nouns in the sentence can be logically compared. But there are certain exceptions when you are deciding -

1. Tense Shift-
If the verb tense changes from the first to the second half of the sentence, then the verb must not be omitted in the second half.

· You look more beautiful this year than last year. - Incorrect

· You look more beautiful this year than you did last year.- Correct

2. Meaning Ambiguity-
Do not omit the verb if doing so will make the sentence’s meaning ambiguous.

I love my dog more than my friend. - Incorrect -- ambiguity

·I love my dog more than I love my friend.- Correct!
·I love my dog more than my friend does.- Correct!

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , ChiranjeevSingh ,ccooley, RonPurewal ,other experts - please enlighten

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 2.99
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 22:47
1/. The USA is a singular noun, so ''they'' (plurial) is incorrect.

2/. The USA exported as much as it did, not it had.

So C is the answer.
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2018, 09:32
Skywalker18 wrote:
In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national output of goods as it did (export) in 1970.

But for ellipses, shouldn't the omitted words be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form ? Here, exported and export are not in the same form.
Some people are more comfortable referring to these helping verbs (or more accurately, helping verbs used this way) as pro-verbs. Whichever term you prefer, remember that this particular helping verb is a replacement for an existing verb, not necessarily in the same form. It is not just one part of the actual verb. At least in this case.

In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national output of goods as it did in 1970.
is
In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national output of goods as it exported in 1970.
and not
In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national output of goods as it did export in 1970. (unexpected meaning)

Skywalker18 wrote:
Siri is smarter than Alexa and Cortana are -- Here we CANNOT omit "are" since the verb in the earlier part is "is"?
You can, without the risk of introducing ambiguity. The are is understood. For example, in she is smarter than her parents, we clearly don't need an are at the end.

Siri is smarter than Alexa and Cortana.
This sentence is fine, because there is no possibility of a comparison between Alexa and Cortana. The only issue is whether we are talking about Alexa and Cortana individually or together :)

Siri is more like Alexa than Cortana.
This sentence is ambiguous, but we won't remove this option without looking at the other options first.

Skywalker18 wrote:
Q1-For ellipsis, is it NECESSARY that the omitted words should be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form?
No, but you shouldn't let the following exceptions determine your approach to all GMAT questions that test this concept.

Present tense
She likes cricket more than I do.
is
She likes cricket more than I like cricket.

Past tense
He scored more points in the game than I did.

Tense shift
Her son grew faster than she had.
is
Her son grew faster than she had grown.
In this sentence we don't want a did, to avoid giving the impression that they grew up together.

At 30, he has already achieved more than most other people ever will.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: ISB '20
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 20:28
sudarshan22 wrote:

its and they is discrepant here so incorrect

as seems like used for causal relationship, so wrong.

seems good - as much as construction

has is wrong and also double

Meaning should be it exported x tons of it national output in 1970 and it exported 2x in 1980. but this option conveys it exported 2 times total output it had in 1970. so incorrect.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national &nbs [#permalink] 31 Dec 2018, 20:28

In 1980 the United States exported twice as much of its national

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap