GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 10:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.36
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2016, 23:43
btg9788 wrote:
Can you please help me to find the reason why oa is better.
394. In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.
(A) demanding that it should
(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

Demanded that is in subjunctive mood, hence we have to drop the 's' for a singular verb
We should understand who is actually demanding (yielded kin do means to complete a demand) hence it does not make sense if the company is doing the demanding.
Hence A,B,C are out.
Subjunctive verb must be followed by "That" hence I went for 'D'

Experts please check if my line of reasoning is correct
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 14:15
AV19 wrote:
btg9788 wrote:
Can you please help me to find the reason why oa is better.
394. In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.
(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

Demanded that is in subjunctive mood, hence we have to drop the 's' for a singular verb
We should understand who is actually demanding (yielded kin do means to complete a demand) hence it does not make sense if the company is doing the demanding.
Hence A,B,C are out.
Subjunctive verb must be followed by "That" hence I went for 'D'

Experts please check if my line of reasoning is correct

Yes, you have nicely pointed out both the issues (the subjunctive issue and the modifier issue). For command subjunctive, we use the raw form of the verb (the infinitive form without to) irrespective of whether the verb is singular or plural.
Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 00:07
If you know your grammar then this question can be solved in 10 seconds.
This question has nothing to do with idioms and parallel structure and all that blah blah blah that many people get lost in.
This is a question about MOOD.

"Demading" is a verb that indicates Subjunctive mood The other 3 moods in grammar are Indicative, Infinitive and Imperative )
Subjunctive mood never takes SHOULD, TO in its construction .
Subjunctive mood always takes "THAT" in its construction

A. demanding that it should
B. demanding it to
C. and their demand to
D. who demanded that it
E. who demanded it to

Forget looking for idioms and parallelism in every question. There are many other things that GMAT test.
Learn :- Tenses, Mood, Voice, SV agreement . You will be superbly rewarded.

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 00:47
I narrow these down to the ones that had *who* in them, but if you aren't certain that you need who after consumers, you can look at which ones are in past tense ie match the non underlined part *yielded* Demanded that is the correct idiom.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 09:53
In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it --> If we use this option, will the sv agreement still hold? says,"who demand that it bring. Shouldn't it be brings?
(E) who demanded it to
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 03:34
Ayrish wrote:
In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.

(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

How can D be right? It sounds super awkward

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumerswho demanded that it bring back the original Coke formula.

I MEAN HOW?

WHO DEMANDED TO= can be a good choice but its not here

explain? I favored E
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 04:09
pritishbhuyan wrote:

(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it --> If we use this option, will the sv agreement still hold? says,"who demand that it bring. Shouldn't it be brings?
(E) who demanded it to

Hello pritishbhuyan,

I am not sure if you still have this doubt. However, i would still like to present the explanation to clarify the doubt raised. :-)

There is no issue with the subject-verb pair it bring back. It is so because usage of the word demand requires use of Subjunctive Verb which is always plural irrespective of the number of the subject. For example:

The teacher suggested that Paul undergo the formal training before the tournament.

The module dealing with Verbs in our SC course has a section dedicated to Subjunctive Verbs.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 04:20
rocko911 wrote:

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumerswho demanded that it bring back the original Coke formula.

I MEAN HOW?

explain? I favored E

Hello rocko911,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

There are certain verbs, generally considered "bossy", that requires use of Subjunctive Verb. Now Subjunctive Verbs are always plural and hence appear to counter the Subject-Verb agreement rules when used with singular subjects.

The structure of Subjunctive verbs are "bossy" verb + that + subject + plural verb.

Some words that require use of Subjunctive words are demand, insist, request, suggest, mandate, recommend, etc.

Since the official sentence in question uses the "bossy" word demand, it MUST be followed by Subjunctive Verb.

This is the reason why the structure in Choice D - who demanded that it bring back - is correct because we cannot use to bring back (to verb phrase) with demand. Hence, Choice E is incorrect.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 05:07
egmat wrote:
rocko911 wrote:

I MEAN HOW?

explain? I favored E

Hello rocko911,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

There are certain verbs, generally considered "bossy", that requires use of Subjunctive Verb. Now Subjunctive Verbs are always plural and hence appear to counter the Subject-Verb agreement rules when used with singular subjects.

The structure of Subjunctive verbs are "bossy" verb + that + subject + plural verb.

Some words that require use of Subjunctive words are demand, insist, request, suggest, mandate, recommend, etc.

Since the official sentence in question uses the "bossy" word demand, it MUST be followed by Subjunctive Verb.

This is the reason why the structure in Choice D - who demanded that it bring back - is correct because we cannot use to bring back (to verb phrase) with demand. Hence, Choice E is incorrect.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi, I have heard about using the term 'be' in subjunctive sentences...

Can u please provide me all types of formats of subjunctive and when to use 'be' and when to not, and when to use other subjunctive formats?

It will be really helpful!!

Thanks
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 06:06
rocko911

Please see this post.

Hope this helps!

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 19:59
Ayrish wrote:

(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

who demanded that it bring back

Doesn't the structure look odd?
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 04:06
harsh2112 wrote:
who demanded that it bring back

Doesn't the structure look odd?

Hi Harsh, this odd looking structure is called Subjunctive in English Grammar, and does take a bit of effort, to get used to.

Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Subjunctive, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 04:42
Ayrish wrote:

(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

Demanding’ is incorrect as it sounds as if the action is taking place now rather then during WW1. C changes the meaning and introduces an unclear pronoun, ‘their’. E also has an unclear pronoun, ‘them’. If the pronoun refers to the Russian state, it should be singular. Only D is correct.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 15:05
Ayrish wrote:

(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

I understand why D is correct.

However, why is E incorrect? I don't see a problem with it.

Is it that subjunctive usage must be preferred in such cases?

Please help.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 09:23
Hi
I have read all the replies but I have not been able to correctly conclude why is E eliminated.

Could anyone please help.
Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 18:35
There seems to be mixing of two different discussion in this thread...

Moderators may be pl check

broall, Vyshak, hazelnut, generis

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Re: In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the &nbs [#permalink] 12 Sep 2018, 18:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap