GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 06:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In order to document their contribution to the field of structural

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
In order to document their contribution to the field of structural  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 08:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (01:53) correct 36% (01:43) wrong based on 719 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In order to document their contribution to the field of structural engineering, the curators at the university’s art museum organized a comprehensive exhibition of the work of leading Swiss designers, including photographs, diagrams, and models of their most famous bridges and buildings.

A.In order to document their contribution to the field of structural engineering, the curators at the university’s art museum organized a comprehensive exhibition of the work of leading Swiss designers, including photographs, diagrams, and models of their most famous bridges and buildings.

B. In order to document the contribution of the Swiss to the field of structural engineering, the curators at the university’s art museum organized a comprehensive exhibition of the work of leading Swiss designers, including photographs, diagrams, and models of their most famous bridges and buildings.

C. In order to document the contribution of the Swiss to the field of structural engineering, the curators at the university’s art museum organized a comprehensive exhibition of the work of leading Swiss designers, including photographs, diagrams, and models of its most famous bridges and buildings.

D. In order to document their contribution to the structural engineering field, a comprehensive exhibition was organized by the curators at the university’s art museum of their photographs, diagrams, and models of the most famous bridges and buildings of leading Swiss designers.

E. The curators at the university’s art museum, in order to document their contribution to the field, organized a comprehensive exhibition of the work of leading Swiss designers, including photographs, diagrams, and models of their most famous bridges and buildings.

Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: In order to document their contribution to the field of structural  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 20:24
Kritesh wrote:
In order to document their contribution to the field of structural engineering, the curators at the university’s art museum organized a comprehensive exhibition of the work of leading Swiss designers, including photographs, diagrams, and models of their most famous bridges and buildings.

A.In order to document their contribution to the field of structural engineering, the curators at the university’s art museum organized a comprehensive exhibition of the work of leading Swiss designers, including photographs, diagrams, and models of their most famous bridges and buildings.
B. In order to document the contribution of the Swiss to the field of structural engineering, the curators at the university’s art museum organized a comprehensive exhibition of the work of leading Swiss designers, including photographs, diagrams, and models of their most famous bridges and buildings.
C. In order to document the contribution of the Swiss to the field of structural engineering, the curators at the university’s art museum organized a comprehensive exhibition of the work of leading Swiss designers, including photographs, diagrams, and models of its most famous bridges and buildings.
D. In order to document their contribution to the structural engineering field, a comprehensive exhibition was organized by the curators at the university’s art museum of their photographs, diagrams, and models of the most famous bridges and buildings of leading Swiss designers.
E. The curators at the university’s art museum, in order to document their contribution to the field, organized a comprehensive exhibition of the work of leading Swiss designers, including photographs, diagrams, and models of their most famous bridges and buildings.

The reference of 'their' is not clear in the sentence. As per the original sentence, 'their' can refer to either the curators or the Swiss designers. Logically it should refer to the Swiss designers because they are the one's who have made the contribution. So the correct option should clearly have this reference.

A.In order to document their contribution to the field of structural engineering, the curators at the university’s art museum organized a comprehensive exhibition of the work of leading Swiss designers, including photographs, diagrams, and models of their most famous bridges and buildings. Pronoun reference error as stated above.
B. In order to document the contribution of the Swiss to the field of structural engineering, the curators at the university’s art museum organized a comprehensive exhibition of the work of leading Swiss designers, including photographs, diagrams, and models of their most famous bridges and buildings. Correct option as this rectifies the pronoun reference problem in the original sentence
C. In order to document the contribution of the Swiss to the field of structural engineering, the curators at the university’s art museum organized a comprehensive exhibition of the work of leading Swiss designers, including photographs, diagrams, and models of its most famous bridges and buildings.The original error is corrected. But the usage of its to refer to the Swiss designers is incorrect
D. In order to document their contribution to the structural engineering field, a comprehensive exhibition was organized by the curators at the university’s art museum of their photographs, diagrams, and models of the most famous bridges and buildings of leading Swiss designers.Pronoun reference error as stated above. The usage of the second 'their' is also ambiguous.
E. The curators at the university’s art museum, in order to document their contribution to the field, organized a comprehensive exhibition of the work of leading Swiss designers, including photographs, diagrams, and models of their most famous bridges and buildings.Pronoun reference error as stated above. In fact here the pronoun incorrectly refers to the curators.

+1 kudos if you find this useful
GMAT 1: 750 (Q50; V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)
Debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-750-q50-v40-ir-8-awa-245721.html

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In order to document their contribution to the field of structural  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 00:17
I choose C over OA B for following reasons

and models of [its/their most famous bridges and buildings]. .........can be written as
and models of [Swiss most famous bridges and buildings]......in case of its OR
and models of [designers/s' most famous bridges and buildings]..... in case of their

I believe bridges and buildings belongs to Swiss rather than designers.
Experts, Please help to clarify my understanding of this part.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 01:05
jokschmer wrote:
I choose C over OA B for following reasons

and models of [its/their most famous bridges and buildings]. .........can be written as
and models of [Swiss most famous bridges and buildings]......in case of its OR
and models of [designers/s' most famous bridges and buildings]..... in case of their

I believe bridges and buildings belongs to Swiss rather than designers.
Experts, Please help to clarify my understanding of this part.

I thought likewise.."its" can only refer to the Swiss in C, so I didn't think there was an antecedent error.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 04:02
I have the same doubt. I also picked C, as 'its' can refer to Swiss. Designers don't own bridges and buildings.

Can someone please explain why B is correct over C?
Posted from my mobile device

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 05:05
Abhishiek wrote:
I have the same doubt. I also picked C, as 'its' can refer to Swiss. Designers don't own bridges and buildings.

Can someone please explain why B is correct over C?

In "... leading Swiss designers", "Swiss" is actually an adjective - so a pronoun cannot refer an adjective, it must refer a noun, i.e "designers". So, we need a plural pronoun to refer a plural noun.

Cheers !!

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2018, 00:18
Kritesh wrote:

Imo B
Well this was easy
In the original sentence there is an error in pronoun their . We are not sure the antecedent of their so A is out
B is correct as first their is replaced by Swiss which removes the ambiguity
C its is wrong to refer to Swiss
D again their is wrong
E Changes the structure into a more complex structure and again there is pronoun error in E

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Tuck '21
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.36

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 08:22
C should be correct. their most famous bridges and buildings are illogical. IT should be Swiss most famous bridges and buildings. B is clearly wrong.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 07:20
Top Contributor
'Swiss' is an adjective in the context. It or its cannot refer to an adjective and can only stand for a noun. The only singular noun in C is the museum. C gives a wrong picture that the museum's creations are being exhibited.
In general, Swiss can also as a noun refer to a Swiss native; However, it is not relevant in the context.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 06:53
A,D,E - Meaning and modifier issue. The curators are not
the one who are documenting their contribution. It is the "contribution of the swiss"

C - pronoun agreement issue. Its cannot refer back to swiss designers.

Hence, B is the Answer.

Let's share some kudos together.

Re: In order to document their contribution to the field of structural &nbs [#permalink] 23 Jul 2018, 06:53

In order to document their contribution to the field of structural

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap