GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 06:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the 1820’s, anthracite coalfields opened in eastern Pennsylvania

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
Re: In the 1820’s, anthracite coalfields opened in eastern Pennsylvania  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 08:18
AjiteshArun thanks for the other meaning I didn't know that
But how do we check for such verbs ? whether they are verbs or verbed mod ?
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: In the 1820’s, anthracite coalfields opened in eastern Pennsylvania  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 19:20
teaserbae wrote:
AjiteshArun thanks for the other meaning I didn't know that
But how do we check for such verbs ? whether they are verbs or verbed mod ?
Your approach is fine. :)

In this particular case, when you asked yourself whether a restaurant can open (on its own), you needed to take the other meaning that we discussed into account. That would have given us a "yes" answer, and then you would have been open to considering opened a verb.
P
In the 1820’s, anthracite coalfields opened in eastern Pennsylvania  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Apr 2020, 03:14
I restudy this problem and I want to say more about "there were ..." in choice a, b and c

choice A means
when the canal reached, the supplies of coal that was transfered..., exist

this is not the intended meaning.

so, if there is a split between "there is+ that-clause" and "noun+verb", the meaning can be totally different.

this case require us to understand "that clause". this restrictive clause means a subset of the nouns has some action. the pattern "there is...+that clause" normally dose not go with non-restrictive clause because the meaning error will be more easy to realize by cutting off the non-restrictive phrase. either restrictive or non restrictive clause go with this pattern, the meaning errors are similar because the focus is not action presented by a verb but the focus is the existence, which is presented by "is,are"

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 12 Sep 2019, 19:35.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 13 Apr 2020, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2019, 21:42
Sachin9 wrote:
whats wrong with A folks..

is the presence of 'was' instead of 'were' an issue?

yes, "was" as a verb refers to a singular noun.. however the noun is "supplies" which is plural therefore were is correct!
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2020, 06:59
What is wrong with option D? Can someone please explain?

In the 1820???s, anthracite coalfields opened in eastern Pennsylvania, and when canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, there were substantial supplies of coal that was exported to the nation???s growing mills, forges, factories, and railways.

A. when canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, there were substantial supplies of coal that was
B. once canals and eventually railroads reaching into the region, there were substantial supplies of coal having been
C. with canals and eventually railroads reaching into the region, there had been substantial supplies of coal
D. canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, with substantial supplies of coal being
E. as canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, substantial supplies of coal were
Tutor
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2020, 10:13
Krishchamp wrote:
What is wrong with option D? Can someone please explain?

In the 1820???s, anthracite coalfields opened in eastern Pennsylvania, and when canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, there were substantial supplies of coal that was exported to the nation???s growing mills, forges, factories, and railways.

A. when canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, there were substantial supplies of coal that was
B. once canals and eventually railroads reaching into the region, there were substantial supplies of coal having been
C. with canals and eventually railroads reaching into the region, there had been substantial supplies of coal
D. canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, with substantial supplies of coal being
E. as canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, substantial supplies of coal were

Hello, Krishchamp. Beyond the fact that choice (E) uses more direct language, I would argue that the causality of the chain of events is missing in (D). We understand from choices (A), (B), and (E) that when/once/as canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, the natural resources, namely coal, were exported in great quantities. However, choice (D) does not present the same sort of cause-and-effect relationship, telling us instead that the canals and railroads appeared, but then moving on to this not necessarily connected notion that because of these developments, substantial supplies of coal were exported. Clarity of meaning is the foremost consideration in determining an eventual correct answer, particularly on harder questions in which grammatical issues alone might not allow you to separate one choice from another. (In general, it is a good idea to be wary of being, although it can be used as a gerund in correct answers.)

If you are still confused, feel free to ask away. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2020, 10:26
Thanks so much Andrew?
We can also eliminate B and C because there is no parallelism between ‘opened’ and ‘reaching’ right? A is wrong because ‘was’ is faulty w.r.t ‘supplies’.
Can you please check if my reasoning is correct?

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2020, 12:25
Krishchamp wrote:
Thanks so much Andrew?
We can also eliminate B and C because there is no parallelism between ‘opened’ and ‘reaching’ right? A is wrong because ‘was’ is faulty w.r.t ‘supplies’.
Can you please check if my reasoning is correct?

Posted from my mobile device

Hello again, Krishchamp. I agree with you on (A) and (B), but (C) is a little different. My red highlights below show errors.

In (C), it is not a problem to say, with canals... reaching on its own, but the past perfect had been indicates an action that occurred further in the past than another, and it would not make sense to suggest that coal had been shipped out in vast amounts prior to the construction of the canal and railroad lanes that opened up such transportation pathways.

I hope that helps. If not, you know how to grab my attention.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the 1820’s, anthracite coalfields opened in eastern Pennsylvania   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2020, 12:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

In the 1820’s, anthracite coalfields opened in eastern Pennsylvania

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics