GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 08:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

     November 14, 2018

     November 14, 2018

     07:00 PM PST

     08:00 PM PST

    Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     November 15, 2018

     November 15, 2018

     10:00 PM MST

     11:00 PM MST

    EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

In the figure above, STVW is a square, SX and YZ intersect at point W,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50570
In the figure above, STVW is a square, SX and YZ intersect at point W,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2018, 02:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:46) correct 43% (02:15) wrong based on 44 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Note: Figure not drawn to scale.
Image
In the figure above, STVW is a square, SX and YZ intersect at point W, and UW is twice as long as UV. What is the value of b?


A. 20
B. 40
C. 60
D. 120
E. 180

Attachment:
lad19.png
lad19.png [ 11.62 KiB | Viewed 459 times ]

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 179
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
CAT Tests
In the figure above, STVW is a square, SX and YZ intersect at point W,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Oct 2018, 22:42
In the figure above, STVW is a square, SX and YZ intersect at point W, and UW is twice as long as UV. What is the value of b?


A. 20
B. 40
C. 60
D. 120
E. 180

from given fig W would be 90
and each of a would be 22.5
a and B are opposite , b would be ~40 ie B..

Originally posted by Archit3110 on 30 Oct 2018, 02:44.
Last edited by Archit3110 on 30 Oct 2018, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2015
Posts: 133
Re: In the figure above, STVW is a square, SX and YZ intersect at point W,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2018, 03:26
Bunuel wrote:
Note: Figure not drawn to scale.
Image
In the figure above, STVW is a square, SX and YZ intersect at point W, and UW is twice as long as UV. What is the value of b?


A. 20
B. 40
C. 60
D. 120
E. 180

Attachment:
lad19.png


STVW is a square. so \(\angle\)UVW = \(90^o\).
So \(UV^2+VW^2 = UW^2\), given UV=l & UW = 2l;
=> \(l^2 + VW^2 = (2l)^2\)
=> \(VW = \sqrt{3}\)
so \(\triangle UVW\) is 1: \(\sqrt{3}\): 2 triangle(\(30^o:60^o:90^o\)) => so \(\angle VWU = 30^o\) => \(\angle UWS = 90^o - 30^o = 60^o = 3a\) => \(\angle 2a = 2*20^o = 40^o= b\)
Ans: B
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Location: India
CAT Tests
Re: In the figure above, STVW is a square, SX and YZ intersect at point W,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2018, 03:29
b = 2a (Vertically Opposite Angles)
Angle V = 90 degrees.
In Triangle WVU, UW = 2UV.
Angle VWU = 30 degrees ( 30-60 -90)
Angle UWS = 3a = 90 - 30 = 60.
a = 20
b = 2a = 40.
Ans . b
_________________

Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is courage to continue that counts. : Churchill

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 May 2014
Posts: 89
Location: India
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V32
GRE 1: Q159 V151

GRE 2: Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9
Re: In the figure above, STVW is a square, SX and YZ intersect at point W,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 21:43
This might sound like an amateurish doubt, but I am unable to understand as to why is b not equal to 3a?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Location: India
CAT Tests
In the figure above, STVW is a square, SX and YZ intersect at point W,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 02:00
narendran1990 wrote:
This might sound like an amateurish doubt, but I am unable to understand as to why is b not equal to 3a?


Hi,

b = 2a ( Vertically opposite Angles).
The lines ZY and SX intersect at W.
At this point of intersection, two angles are formed Angle ZWS and Angle XWY.
These two angles are vertically opposite.
Hope it clears the doubt.
_________________

Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is courage to continue that counts. : Churchill

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jan 2018
Posts: 10
Re: In the figure above, STVW is a square, SX and YZ intersect at point W,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 02:24
Akshay_Naik wrote:
b = 2a (Vertically Opposite Angles)
Angle V = 90 degrees.
In Triangle WVU, UW = 2UV.
Angle VWU = 30 degrees ( 30-60 -90)
Angle UWS = 3a = 90 - 30 = 60.
a = 20
b = 2a = 40.
Ans . b

Could you explain me why angle VWU=30 degrees? I know that one side equal 90 but how do you the 2 others equal 30 and 60?


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Location: India
CAT Tests
Re: In the figure above, STVW is a square, SX and YZ intersect at point W,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 03:02
malbash01 wrote:
Akshay_Naik wrote:
b = 2a (Vertically Opposite Angles)
Angle V = 90 degrees.
In Triangle WVU, UW = 2UV.
Angle VWU = 30 degrees ( 30-60 -90)
Angle UWS = 3a = 90 - 30 = 60.
a = 20
b = 2a = 40.
Ans . b

Could you explain me why angle VWU=30 degrees? I know that one side equal 90 but how do you the 2 others equal 30 and 60?



Hi,

If you consider Triangle UVW, it is given in the problem statement that UW is twice UV.
Consider UV as x, UW would become 2x. Now apply the Pythagoras Theorem.
4x(square) - x(square) = vw(square).
VW = (square root)3x.

Compare all the angles in triangles, the ratio would be 1:2: square root 3.
This tells us that Angle UWV is 30 and Angle WUV = 60.


Hope it solves the doubt,
_________________

Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is courage to continue that counts. : Churchill

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jan 2018
Posts: 10
Re: In the figure above, STVW is a square, SX and YZ intersect at point W,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 04:05
Akshay_Naik wrote:
malbash01 wrote:
Akshay_Naik wrote:
b = 2a (Vertically Opposite Angles)
Angle V = 90 degrees.
In Triangle WVU, UW = 2UV.
Angle VWU = 30 degrees ( 30-60 -90)
Angle UWS = 3a = 90 - 30 = 60.
a = 20
b = 2a = 40.
Ans . b

Could you explain me why angle VWU=30 degrees? I know that one side equal 90 but how do you the 2 others equal 30 and 60?



Hi,

If you consider Triangle UVW, it is given in the problem statement that UW is twice UV.
Consider UV as x, UW would become 2x. Now apply the Pythagoras Theorem.
4x(square) - x(square) = vw(square).
VW = (square root)3x.

Compare all the angles in triangles, the ratio would be 1:2: square root 3.
This tells us that Angle UWV is 30 and Angle WUV = 60.


Hope it solves the doubt,

Thank you!!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the figure above, STVW is a square, SX and YZ intersect at point W, &nbs [#permalink] 02 Nov 2018, 04:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the figure above, STVW is a square, SX and YZ intersect at point W,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.