GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 12:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the last few years, a drastic spike in sea temperatures around Prud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
In the last few years, a drastic spike in sea temperatures  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2014, 03:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (02:03) correct 44% (02:09) wrong based on 517 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the last few years, a drastic spike in sea temperatures around Prudhoe Bay has caused the eggs of snow crabs to hatch earlier in the year than they had previously. As a result, baby snow crabs are more likely to be caught by deep sea fishing boats, since deep sea fishing boats are more numerous in Arctic waters during the fall season than they are during the winter season.

Which of the following pieces of information is necessary to evaluate the argument?

A) The total number of snow crabs that hatch versus the total number that had hatched before the increase in temperature

B) The time of year the deep sea fishing boats arrive to the waters around Prudhoe Bay

C) The month in which the boats leave, and the month in which the snow crabs eggs hatch

D) The amount of area the fisherman’s nets can cover in one day

E) The amount of time the deep sea fishing boats spend in water directly above where the snow crabs are likely to hatch

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In the last few years, a drastic spike in sea temperatures  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2014, 03:39
In the last few years, a drastic spike in sea temperatures around Prudhoe Bay has caused the eggs of snow crabs to hatch earlier in the year than they had previously.
As a result, (Conc:) baby snow crabs are more likely to be caught by deep sea fishing boats, since deep sea fishing (Premise)boats are more numerous in Arctic waters during the fall season than they are during the winter season.

Which of the following pieces of information is necessary to evaluate the argument?

A) The total number of snow crabs that hatch versus the total number that had hatched before the increase in temperature
>>not sufficient.
B) The time of year the deep sea fishing boats arrive to the waters around Prudhoe Bay
>>Time of year is immaterial here as we dont know the same abt the eggs.
C) The month in which the boats leave, and the month in which the snow crabs eggs hatch
>>This one is important to ensure that they don't return empty handed. :)
D) The amount of area the fisherman’s nets can cover in one day
>>Not relevant/ doesn't help much
E) The amount of time the deep sea fishing boats spend in water directly above where the snow crabs are likely to hatch
>>Same as D. Doesnt help much.
GMAT Tutor
S
In the last few years, a drastic spike in sea temperatures around Prud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2015, 17:39
We know the fishing boats are there in the fall. But we also need to know something about the snow crabs. All we know is that the snow crabs are now born earlier than before. But we have no clue what that means - does that mean they're born in May instead of July, or in October instead of December? Without that info, we can't tell if the boats and snow crabs will be present simultaneously, so C is the answer.

It also seems to me it would be useful to know if Prudhoe Bay is in the Arctic, because if it's not, the argument wouldn't make sense. But that's not in any of the answer choices.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Re: In the last few years, a drastic spike in sea temperatures around Prud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 00:18
C
Conclusion -baby snow crabs are now more likely to be caught by deep sea fishing boats
premise - bc of changes in temperature during the yr, the snow crabs to hatch earlier
Knowing the boats leaving month as compared to the hatching month of the eggs is necessary for evaluating conclusion

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Intern
Intern
B
Re: In the last few years, a drastic spike in sea temperatures around Prud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 00:42
IanStewart wrote:

It also seems to me it would be useful to know if Prudhoe Bay is in the Arctic, because if it's not, the argument wouldn't make sense.

I would somewhat agree with this comment. In fact, I think that if we don’t know the position of PB with regards to the Arctic, the correct answer choice would be either B or C.
Let me explain:
If Prudhoe Bay (PB) is a region next to the Arctic, or even if PB is a region at the center (or another place) in the very huge Arctic (and boats must travel through other areas of the Artic before they can get to PB), then let’s consider option B:
For B: The time of year the deep sea fishing boats arrive to the waters around Prudhoe Bay
The question only gives info about “deep sea fishing boats are more numerous in Arctic waters”, not “around Prudhoe Bay” where snow crabs eggs hatch. So the boats may arrive in Arctic in fall, but if they arrive to the waters around Prudhoe Bay in the winter, then the conclusion will be weakened. But if they arrive to the waters around Prudhoe Bay in the fall (the same time they arrive at the Arctic), then the conclusion still holds true.
So knowing “The time of year the deep sea fishing boats arrive to the waters around Prudhoe Bay” would either make or break the conclusion, then B is also the right answer choice.
This question is therefore a little controversial, I think.
Of course, some people might say that the knowledge about “the location of PB with regards to the Arctic” should be “common knowledge” and GMAT expects that we all know this, but I wouldn’t agree with such comment. For me, “where China is” may be considered as “common knowledge”, but things about “the location of PB with regards to the Arctic” is not “common knowledge” at all (even geologists may not know all the corners/geo names of the world, how are we supposed to know?).

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 00:45
Hi Expert,

Would you please explain how C is correct and B is incorrect?

Hasan Mahmud

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 01:00
Mahmud6 wrote:
Hi Expert,

Would you please explain how C is correct and B is incorrect?

Hi Mahmud6 ,

Here I go:

The argument is saying Increase in temp caused the eggs of snow crabs to hatch earlier. Then it says as a result, probability of getting caught by boats has increased because more boats are there in fall season.

We need to evaluate what author concluded.

Now, let's talk about B and C.

B) The time of year the deep sea fishing boats arrive to the waters around Prudhoe Bay --> The author has already stated that more boats are coming in fall. We need to find out how this time is related to crabs. We don't have any information about crabs here. Let's say if I say boats are arriving in June of every year. But how does that tell us crabs would be caught or they would be able to skip from getting catched. In order to weaken/strengthen what author said, we need relevant information about both. Hence, Incorrect.

C) The month in which the boats leave, and the month in which the snow crabs eggs hatch --> Now it may happen that Both arrive in the same month. This means the conclusion is strengthened. But what if Boats arrive one month before eggs hatch? In this case, the conclusion made by author is weakened. Hence, the correct answer.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Retired Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 05:37
C

My reasoning

Let, snow crabs usually hatch in Winter (from December to February), but because of rising sea temperature, snow crabs hatch earlier, i.e. in late Fall (November). On the other hand, deep sea fishing boats are more numerous in Arctic waters during the fall season (from September to November). So, if all deep sea fishing boats leave within mid-fall (October), then baby snow crabs are NOT more likely to be caught by deep sea fishing boats, but if all deep sea fishing boats stay until winter, then baby snow crabs will more likely to be caught by deep sea fishing boats.

Hasan Mahmud

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 19:11

Official Explanation
Answer: (C)

The question asks us to evaluate the argument. We need to decide what information is needed in order to tell whether or not the argument is valid.

Conclusion: crabs are hatching earlier due to an increase in sea temperature. Therefore, the baby crabs are more likely to be caught by deep sea fishing boats. To evaluate the argument, we have to know when the fishing boats are there. That is, if the crab hatches earlier, but the fishing boats have already left, then the conclusion cannot be drawn. Essentially, are the crabs hatching in the fall when the fishing boats are present?

(C) provides us with the necessary information to draw the conclusion: are the crabs hatching when the fishing boats are still there.

(A) is wrong because it does not relate to the fishing boats.

(B) is tempting. The paragraph already implies that they are there in the autumn. If we know the month they arrive, that still doesn’t tell us anything about the crabs.

(D) is irrelevant, since we are not concerned with the efficiency of the fisherman’s nets.

(E) indirectly gives us some information on whether the fisherman are going to catch more crabs than if they were not directly above where the crabs hatch. But it doesn’t address the fundamental gap: will the fishing boats even be there when the baby crabs hatch.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the last few years, a drastic spike in sea temperatures around Prud &nbs [#permalink] 02 Aug 2018, 19:11

In the last few years, a drastic spike in sea temperatures around Prud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap