GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 03:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the quilting pattern shown above, a small square has its vertices o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
In the quilting pattern shown above, a small square has its vertices o  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 05:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

78% (01:31) correct 22% (01:42) wrong based on 792 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

OG Q 2017 New Question(Book Question: 184)

Attachment:
153y8e8.png
153y8e8.png [ 83.51 KiB | Viewed 5641 times ]

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: In the quilting pattern shown above, a small square has its vertices o  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 20:17
pafrompa wrote:
GMAT198917 wrote:
For statement (1) why can't we assume this is a common triangle?

We know the hypotenuse is 10 and that it is a right triangle. With this information the side lengths of the large triangle should be 6 & 8.

Could someone please elaborate on this a bit? I also put choice one, because I assumed that the triangles formed in the corners were 30,60,90 triangles. Therefore, I ended up picking A because I had just assumed that you can back into x,x\sqrt{3},2x where 2x=10.

You are saying yourself that you assumed that it must be 30-60-90 triangle. Why? Do you have any reasons supporting this claim? No.

So, you assumed with no ground for it that the lengths of the sides are integers. Knowing that hypotenuse equals to 10 DOES NOT mean that the sides of the right triangle necessarily must be in the ratio of Pythagorean triple - 6:8:10. Or in other words: if \(a^2+b^2=10^2\) DOES NOT mean that \(a=6\) and \(b=8\), certainly this is one of the possibilities but definitely not the only one. In fact \(a^2+b^2=10^2\) has infinitely many solutions for \(a\) and \(b\) and only one of them is \(a=6\) and \(b=10\).

Hope it's clear.
G
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Re: In the quilting pattern shown above, a small square has its vertices o  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 08:53
1 is clearly insufficient.
2. the ratio is given as 1:2 again insufficient.
combining both
using Pythagoras theorem.
10^2=x^2+(2x)^2
100= 5x^2
this should give us x followed by the length of the side of the larger square.
Therefore C
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 08:10
C

1)side of small sq is given but no info about large sq. Insuff
2)side of small sq not given and info about large sq is there. insuff

suppose side of large sq is 3x so its divided into x and 2x and side of small square is given(which acts as hypotenuse of all4 triangles)

apply pythagos. theorem and get value of x
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 12:25
There is one unknown, that is the side of the larger square.
We need something that gives us the side of the bigger square that is in either a variable form which could be determined or in a direct value form.
Statement 1 does not have any relation to side of bigger square, hence insufficient.
Statement 2 gives a variable relation as, if side of bigger square is 3x, then the triangles whose hypotenuse is given by Statement 1 has sides 2x and x which gives an equation to determine x (4x^2 + X^2 = 10^2).
Therefore both statement are required together to arrive at a definite answer.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.88

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 05:30

We know the hypotenuse is 10 and that it is a right triangle. With this information the side lengths of the large triangle should be 6 & 8.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 14:29
GMAT198917 wrote:

Could someone please elaborate on this a bit? I also put choice one, because I assumed that the triangles formed in the corners were 30,60,90 triangles. Therefore, I ended up picking A because I had just assumed that you can back into x,x\sqrt{3},2x where 2x=10.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 17:15
Bunuel wrote:
pafrompa wrote:
GMAT198917 wrote:

You are saying yourself that you assumed that it must be 30-60-90 triangle. Why? Do you have any reasons supporting this claim? No.

So, you assumed with no ground for it that the lengths of the sides are integers. Knowing that hypotenuse equals to 10 DOES NOT mean that the sides of the right triangle necessarily must be in the ratio of Pythagorean triple - 6:8:10. Or in other words: if \(a^2+b^2=10^2\) DOES NOT mean that \(a=6\) and \(b=8\), certainly this is one of the possibilities but definitely not the only one. In fact \(a^2+b^2=10^2\) has infinitely many solutions for \(a\) and \(b\) and only one of them is \(a=6\) and \(b=10\).

Hope it's clear.

Clear as day, thank you. I guess sometimes I force myself to try to see things that aren't there with DS. Thanks Bunuel
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 430 Q38 V13
GPA: 3.55
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 22:34
@Bunnel,

Why can't we have answer as 'A'
My Intake:

st1: Side length of smaller square is 10 cm.
Can't we say area of smaller square=2*area of larger square
10*10=2 S^2
S^2=50
S=root 50

Is this possible?
Please help!!!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2019, 10:21
Saumya2403 wrote:
@Bunnel,
Can't we say area of smaller square=2*area of larger square

How?
If it is mentioned in the question then only you can consider it, by default you are not allowed to assume anything.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Queen's MBA'20

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2019, 05:46
Guys one question. if we know that it is not a right angle , why did u used phythagorean theorem ?
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
In the quilting pattern shown above, a small square has its vertices o  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Aug 2019, 18:05
I'm a bit confused.

Bunuel
Are we to assume that the ratio of each side is in line with the dimensions formed by the verticie?

This is the assumed construction
Attachments

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 18.07 KiB | Viewed 658 times ]

+1 Kudos if I have helped you

Originally posted by dcummins on 28 Aug 2019, 18:03.
Last edited by dcummins on 28 Aug 2019, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2019, 18:04
But this is the construction if we randomly split each side.
Attachments

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 19.29 KiB | Viewed 642 times ]

+1 Kudos if I have helped you
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the quilting pattern shown above, a small square has its vertices o   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2019, 18:04

In the quilting pattern shown above, a small square has its vertices o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics