Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Coordinate Geometryx   Geometryx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Given Kudos: 379
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1352 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
Send PM
Re: In the rectangular coordinate system above, if OP < PQ, is the area of [#permalink]
ENEM wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

In the rectangular coordinate system above, if OP < PQ, is the area of region OPQ greater than 48 ?

(1) The coordinates of point P are (6,8). Now, if OP were equal to PQ then the triangle OPQ would be isosceles and OS would be equal to SQ and the area would be: 1/2*base*height=1/2(OS+SQ)*PS=1/2*(6+6)*8=48. Since OP<PQ then OS<SQ and the base OQ is more than 12, which makes the area more than 48. Sufficient.

(2) The coordinates of point Q are (13,0) --> we know the length of the base (OQ=13) but know nothing about the height (PS), which may be 1 or 100, so the area may or may not be more than 48. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

Attachment:
Triangle.png

Hi Bunuel,

how do we know that OS<SQ? I mean how do we deduce that from OP<OQ

From the question we have OP < OQ .....(a)
also from Pythagoras theorem we have \(OP^2\) = \(PS^2\) +\(OS^2\) and \(OQ^2\) = \(PS^2\) +\(SQ^2\)
Putting these value in equation a we have
\(PS^2\) +\(OS^2\) < \(PS^2\) +\(SQ^2\)
=> OS<SQ

Hope its clear now
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In the rectangular coordinate system above, if OP < PQ, is the area of [#permalink]
More simplified version of what Bunuel explained.

We MUST test OP = PQ because under this constraint we can see that the base equals 12 and thus the area =1/2 *12*8=48, but since OP is actually less than PQ, the base must be larger (can deduce through inequality theorem).
Attachments

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 26.83 KiB | Viewed 2527 times ]

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
In the rectangular coordinate system above, if OP < PQ, is the area of [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:

In the rectangular coordinate system above, if OP < PQ, is the area of region OPQ greater than 48 ?

(1) The coordinates of point P are (6,8). Now, if OP were equal to PQ then the triangle OPQ would be isosceles and OS would be equal to SQ and the area would be: 1/2*base*height=1/2(OS+SQ)*PS=1/2*(6+6)*8=48. Since OP<PQ then OS<SQ and the base OQ is more than 12, which makes the area more than 48. Sufficient.

(2) The coordinates of point Q are (13,0) --> we know the length of the base (OQ=13) but know nothing about the height (PS), which may be 1 or 100, so the area may or may not be more than 48. Not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

Attachment:
Triangle.png

Hi Bunuel VeritasKarishma - can i make the following general take-away ?

In any isosceles triangle
- Right angle isosceles like 45-45-90 or
- Non right angle isosceles triangle like 20-20-140

The perpendicular from the vertex to the base line (the height) in both types of isosceles triangles divides the base into two equal lengths ?

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 12 Jul 2020, 07:16.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 12 Jul 2020, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Attachment:
Triangle.png

Hi Bunuel VeritasKarishma - can i make the following general take-away ?

In any isosceles triangle
- Right angle isosceles like 45-45-90 or
- Non right angle isosceles triangle like 20-20-140

The perpendicular from the vertex to the base line (the height) in both types of isosceles triangles divides the base into two equal lengths ?

Yes, but only if the base is the non-equal side.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Attachment:
Triangle.png

This is clever, but I am wondering why my approach was wrong?

Given P(6,8), we can calculate the distance OP --> √(6-0)^2 + (8-0)^2 --> OP = 10.

Since PQ > OP, we can do some test values

PQ = 11 --> Area = 44
PQ = 13 --> Area = 104/2 = 52

Insufficient.

Just wondering why that's not an equally valid approach?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618663 [0]
Given Kudos: 81564
Send PM
Expert Reply
CEdward wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Attachment:
Triangle.png

Given P(6,8), we can calculate the distance OP --> √(6-0)^2 + (8-0)^2 --> OP = 10.

PQ = 11 --> Area = 44

Insufficient.

Not sure how you calculated the areas but in both cases the area is different and greater than 48.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
CEdward wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Attachment:
Triangle.png

PQ = 11 --> Area = 44

Insufficient.

Not sure how you calculated the areas but in both cases the area is different and greater than 48.

So given a height of 8 ---> 8 x 11 /2 = 88 /2 = 44 <48 and 8 x 13 /2 = 104 / 2 = 52 > 48...two different solutions?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618663 [0]
Given Kudos: 81564
Send PM
Expert Reply
CEdward wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
CEdward wrote:

Hope it's clear.

PQ = 11 --> Area = 44

Insufficient.

So given a height of 8 ---> 8 x 11 /2 = 88 /2 = 44 <48 and 8 x 13 /2 = 104 / 2 = 52 > 48...two different solutions?

The area of a triangle 1/2*height*base = 1/2*PS*OQ.

Height = PS = 8;
Base = OQ. (If PQ = 11, then \(OQ = 6 + \sqrt{57}\) and if PQ = 13, then \(OQ = 6 + \sqrt{105}\)).

You are calculating the area as 1/2*PS*PQ, which is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 490 Q25 V32
Send PM
Isn't assuming that OQ is a base an improper assumption? brunel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
In the rectangular coordinate system above, if OP < PQ, is the area of [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
Good Question +1

This question reminds me that GMAT is not only about math, Its MATH + LOGIC skills.

Let's try to analyze this question.

In the rectangular coordinate system above, if OP < PQ, is the area of region OPQ greater than 48?

(1) The coordinates of point P are (6,8)

Attachment:
gcpic.JPG
gcpic.JPG [ 19.48 KiB | Viewed 1031 times ]

If you drop a perpendicular from point P to the base OQ and meet at a point S and this line will divide the △ POQ into 2 triangles.

△1 would be a right-angled triangle with base OS and height PS.

By using the coordinates of point P (6,8 ), we can say that side OS = 6 and PS = 8.

Hence, Area of △1 = 1/2 * base * height = 1/2 * 6 * 8 = 24.

Now let us consider △2. It will also be a right-angled triangle with base SQ and height PS.

Since it is given in the question that the hypotenuse PQ > OP,

\(OS^2 + PS^2 = OP^2 \) in △1

\(SQ^2 + PS^2 = PQ^2 \) in △ 2

Comparing both equations, since PQ > OP, we can conclude that the base SQ > OS.

Since the height of 2 triangles, PS is the same. The base of △ 2 is greater than △ 1.

Area of △2 = 1/2 * base SQ * height PS

Area of △1 = 1/2 * base OS * height PS = 24.

Therefore, we conclude that the area of △2 is greater than △ 1 i.e 24.

So the combined area of 2 triangles should be greater than 24+24 i.e 48

This will answer the question stem. Hence, Statement 1 alone is sufficient.

(2) The coordinates of point Q are (13,0)

From the coordinates of Q, we can say that the base OQ=13 but we don't have any idea about the coordinates of P.
Coordinates of P will determine the height of the triangle. Since the height is unknown, we will not be able to figure out if the area of △ OPQ is greater than 48 or not.

Statement 2 alone is not sufficient.

Option A is the correct answer.

Thanks,
Clifin J Francis,
GMAT QUANT SME
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Math Expert
92888 posts