GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 23:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

In the United States, the Postal Service has a monopoly on first-class

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CR Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
In the United States, the Postal Service has a monopoly on first-class  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 07:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:34) correct 38% (01:21) wrong based on 232 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project CR Butler:Day 22:Critical Reasoning (CR2)

For all CR butler Questions Click Here

In the United States, the Postal Service has a monopoly on first-class mail, but much of what is sent first class could be transmitted electronically. Electronic transmittal operators argue that if the Postal Service were to offer electronic transmission, it would have an unfair advantage, since its electronic transmission service could be subsidized from the profits of the monopoly.

Which of the following questions can be answered on the basis of the information in the passage above?

(A) Is the Postal Service as efficient as privately owned electric transmission services?

(B) If private operators were allowed to operate first-class mail services, would they choose to do so?

(C) Do the electronic transmittal operators believe that the Postal Service makes a profit on first-class mail?

(D) Is the Postal Service prohibited from offering electronic transmission services?

(E) Is the Postal Service expected to have a monopoly on electronic transmission?

Please give kudos if you found my posts helpful!

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday

Intern
Intern
B
Re: In the United States, the Postal Service has a monopoly on first-class  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 07:02
This is assumption type of question.

(C) is the answer. If we negate the answer choice (TO doesn't beilive that ~ ), clearly author's conclusion that electronic service provided by Postal Office is not the advantage anymore.

Tricky part is all of the answer choices look like an Evalution type of question, misleading to define the type of the question.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 560 Q39 V28
CAT Tests
Re: In the United States, the Postal Service has a monopoly on first-class  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 06:40
Really cool question... The question stem is very different from what we are used to see from CR...

Although I would "classify" it as an inference question --> The goal is: Which question can be answered based on the information provided?

(A) Is the Postal Service as efficient as privately owned electric transmission services? Passage does not talk about efficiency

(B) If private operators were allowed to operate first-class mail services, would they choose to do so? Passage does not talk about whether private operator would operate first-class mail

(C) Do the electronic transmittal operators believe that the Postal Service makes a profit on first-class mail? Since the last sentence of the passage states that: "...since its electronic transmission service could be subsidized from the profits of the monopoly." This implies that the Postal Service is making profit with its monopoly (which is first-class mail service).

(D) Is the Postal Service prohibited from offering electronic transmission services? We don't know that

(E) Is the Postal Service expected to have a monopoly on electronic transmission? Passage only talks about the monopoly on first-class mail not about monopoly on any other form of transmission...

Quantitative Megathread:https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gmat-quantitative-megathread-244512.html
Verbal Megathread:https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-you-need-for-gmat-verbal-164070.html
Flashcards Quant + Verbal:https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-flashcards-108651.html
Thursdays with Ron:https://gmatclub.com/forum/manhattan-s-thursdays-with-ron-consolidated-video-index-223612.html#p2138753

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 00:28
Not sure why to eliminate E, as there is no issue to the business of Electronic transmittal operators if e Postal Service do not get a monopoly on electronic transmission.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere :-)

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 560 Q39 V28
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 05:32
parthos wrote:
Not sure why to eliminate E, as there is no issue to the business of Electronic transmittal operators if e Postal Service do not get a monopoly on electronic transmission.

I don't quite understand your reasoning for option E...

Our goal is to infer which question can be answered with the information provided in the passage... It is nowhere mentioned in the passage whether the Postal Service will have a monopoly or not...

Quantitative Megathread:https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gmat-quantitative-megathread-244512.html
Verbal Megathread:https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-you-need-for-gmat-verbal-164070.html
Flashcards Quant + Verbal:https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-flashcards-108651.html
Thursdays with Ron:https://gmatclub.com/forum/manhattan-s-thursdays-with-ron-consolidated-video-index-223612.html#p2138753

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 05:36
T1101 wrote:
parthos wrote:

I don't quite understand your reasoning for option E...

Our goal is to infer which question can be answered with the information provided in the passage... It is nowhere mentioned in the passage whether the Postal Service will have a monopoly or not...

Got the point buddy, I was looking for knowing what will help to solve issue. Thanks !!

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere :-)

VP
VP
D
In the United States, the Postal Service has a monopoly on first-class  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 08:05
gmat1393 wrote:

Project CR Butler:Day 22:Critical Reasoning (CR2)

For all CR butler Questions Click Here

In the United States, the Postal Service has a monopoly on first-class mail, but much of what is sent first class could be transmitted electronically. Electronic transmittal operators argue that if the Postal Service were to offer electronic transmission, it would have an unfair advantage, since its electronic transmission service could be subsidized from the profits of the monopoly.

Which of the following questions can be answered on the basis of the information in the passage above?

(A) Is the Postal Service as efficient as privately owned electric transmission services?

(B) If private operators were allowed to operate first-class mail services, would they choose to do so?

(C) Do the electronic transmittal operators believe that the Postal Service makes a profit on first-class mail?

(D) Is the Postal Service prohibited from offering electronic transmission services?

(E) Is the Postal Service expected to have a monopoly on electronic transmission?

Since it clearly says that if Postal Service were to offer electronic transmission, it would have an unfair advantage, since its electronic transmission service could be subsidized from the profits of the monopoly.

So this implies that postal service makes profit on first class mail, and at the expense of the profits of monopoly, could finance the electronic transmition service.

hence C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 08:17
A is afraid that B subsidizes business line C with profits from business line D.

For this chain to work it is paramount that A thinks B is making a profit in business line D.

Hope this helps in terms of breaking it down.

Regards,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 20:23

Type- inference

(A) Is the Postal Service as efficient as privately owned electric transmission services? - Incorrect - efficiency isn't discussed

(B) If private operators were allowed to operate first-class mail services, would they choose to do so? - Incorrect

(C) Do the electronic transmittal operators believe that the Postal Service makes a profit on first-class mail? - Correct - Because Electronic transmittal operators believe that if the Postal Service were to offer electronic transmission, it would have an unfair advantage, since its electronic transmission service could be subsidized from the profits of the monopoly.

(D) Is the Postal Service prohibited from offering electronic transmission services? - Incorrect - nothing about prohibition is mentioned

(E) Is the Postal Service expected to have a monopoly on electronic transmission? - Incorrect - Postal Service has a monopoly on first-class mail

Answer C

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

GMAT Club Bot
In the United States, the Postal Service has a monopoly on first-class &nbs [#permalink] 07 Dec 2018, 20:23

In the United States, the Postal Service has a monopoly on first-class

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap