GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 18:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

INSEAD vs McKinsey

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
INSEAD vs McKinsey  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 01:12
Looking for advice: What would you choose if you have an offer from INSEAD MBA and an entry-level consultant position (Business Analyst) at McKinsey at the same time?
HEC & IMD School Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: INSEAD vs McKinsey  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 02:55
leehz93 wrote:
Looking for advice: What would you choose if you have an offer from INSEAD MBA and an entry-level consultant position (Business Analyst) at McKinsey at the same time?

Hi,
It depends on what you want :) INSEAD is famous for post MBA consulting roles. I am sure the salary post MBA will be highly paid and much better than without MBA. If you have an opportunity to go into the above school, you must take this opportunity.
Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 03:06
leehz93 wrote:

Even as an analyst at McKinsey, you'll still likely need an MBA for your future career growth, so I am going to suggest that you go to INSEAD. Don't know about your work experience to know where you stand, but MBAs normally get hired as associates. So if you have the chance to be ired as an associate post MBA, then its an obvious choice.

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Invested In Your Success
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 04:45
MBADecoder wrote:
leehz93 wrote:

Even as an analyst at McKinsey, you'll still likely need an MBA for your future career growth, so I am going to suggest that you go to INSEAD. Don't know about your work experience to know where you stand, but MBAs normally get hired as associates. So if you have the chance to be ired as an associate post MBA, then its an obvious choice.

Did you take the potential McKinsey MBA sponsorship into consideration?

To be more specific, what would you choose if you are given these 2 options:
1. Study INSEAD MBA on self-fund, with uncertain chances to get into MBB (even though INSEAD has a strong placement)
2. Start McKinsey first and get a sponsored MBA in the future with INSEAD, LBS, Harvard, etc.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 18:40
Dude... differ your admission at Insead and take the McKinsey job and get McKinsey to pay for your MBA in a couple of years.
McKinsey is a feeder school to business schools, 15-20% class size at Stanford and Harvard is McKinsey.
Don’t pay for it yourself.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2019, 07:32
On one hand, you could go to McK and after 2 yrs make them pay for your tuition. Amazing outcome, you'll be an associate in 3 + years with no debt other than your cost of living depending on which MBA you choose. No risk, just lost potential earning during those years until you make associate.

On the other, you could go to INSEAD, and if you get McK they'll pay for half your tuition (maybe a bit more), and you'll be an associate in 1 year. More risk, cause you might not get associate, but the reward is higher, +50% tuition covered and a higher starting salary.

It'd be good if you consulted with a McK alum or current employee on the likelihood that you will get a job while at INSEAD as an associate when you've just been offered a BA role. I don't know if an MBA will magically solve for the lack of experience.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2019, 07:38
rtbs15 wrote:
On one hand, you could go to McK and after 2 yrs make them pay for your tuition. Amazing outcome, you'll be an associate in 3 + years with no debt other than your cost of living depending on which MBA you choose. No risk, just lost potential earning during those years until you make associate.

On the other, you could go to INSEAD, and if you get McK they'll pay for half your tuition (maybe a bit more), and you'll be an associate in 1 year. More risk, cause you might not get associate, but the reward is higher, +50% tuition covered and a higher starting salary.

It'd be good if you consulted with a McK alum or current employee on the likelihood that you will get a job while at INSEAD as an associate when you've just been offered a BA role. I don't know if an MBA will magically solve for the lack of experience.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much and this is really insightful. I was not aware of the potential 50% sponsorship from McKinsey. Is that given if I am at a BA position and I got a MBA offer at the same time? Can you describe more?

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2019, 10:04
leehz93 wrote:

Thank you so much and this is really insightful. I was not aware of the potential 50% sponsorship from McKinsey. Is that given if I am at a BA position and I got a MBA offer at the same time? Can you describe more?

As an MBA grad, if you get MBB (don't know tier 2/3), they will pay for at least half your tuition once you get an offer, and start as an associate.

If you accept a BA role at McK now, they won't offer you that. But they will pay for your MBA in 2 years' time, provided that you perform accordingly.

All I'm saying is that getting tuition money is not only linked to starting at McK now, they will pay for it if you get it while doing an MBA as well, it's just that you can't guarantee that you'll get the job.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.85
WE: Analyst (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2019, 11:28
If I were you, I would be going to McKinsey no questions asked. Even though it may be a lower level position, you will be exposed to so much and learn a great amount.

If you enjoy what you are doing, fantastic, you will likely be able to go back to school on the company's dime. In addition, that pre-mba experience with the firm will give you a big advantage against new Associates in your post-mba role.

In contrast, you could also decide after two years that you do not necessarily love the consulting lifestyle. Now, you have a better idea of what industry you would like to be in and what function you would like to be doing. Your McKinsey experience will help you get into a top tier MBA (M7, LBS, INSEAD, etc.) most likely with with $$$!

I really see no downside of taking the role at McKinsey other holding off on bschool for a couple years. Who is to say you will even need to go back to school at that point to pivot. Just my $0.02!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2019, 22:16
woldmoea wrote:
If I were you, I would be going to McKinsey no questions asked. Even though it may be a lower level position, you will be exposed to so much and learn a great amount.

If you enjoy what you are doing, fantastic, you will likely be able to go back to school on the company's dime. In addition, that pre-mba experience with the firm will give you a big advantage against new Associates in your post-mba role.

In contrast, you could also decide after two years that you do not necessarily love the consulting lifestyle. Now, you have a better idea of what industry you would like to be in and what function you would like to be doing. Your McKinsey experience will help you get into a top tier MBA (M7, LBS, INSEAD, etc.) most likely with with $$$!

I really see no downside of taking the role at McKinsey other holding off on bschool for a couple years. Who is to say you will even need to go back to school at that point to pivot. Just my $0.02!

Thanks for your valuable input!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2019, 22:17
rtbs15 wrote:
leehz93 wrote:

As an MBA grad, if you get MBB (don't know tier 2/3), they will pay for at least half your tuition once you get an offer, and start as an associate.

If you accept a BA role at McK now, they won't offer you that. But they will pay for your MBA in 2 years' time, provided that you perform accordingly.

All I'm saying is that getting tuition money is not only linked to starting at McK now, they will pay for it if you get it while doing an MBA as well, it's just that you can't guarantee that you'll get the job.

Thanks for sharing this! Very helpful!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: INSEAD vs McKinsey   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2019, 22:17

INSEAD vs McKinsey

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste