GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 10:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

November 24, 2018

November 24, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

International experience is a key factor for most of the prominent bus

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
Schools: Babson '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
International experience is a key factor for most of the prominent bus  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Dec 2017, 04:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

27% (01:46) correct 73% (02:07) wrong based on 481 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

International experience is a key factor for most of the prominent business schools in choosing candidates during their MBA selection process. Students who have worked in countries apart from their own bring to the classroom a whole bunch of qualities - they bring cultural and social insights, understanding of business opportunities and challenges from across the globe, and a firm perspective on global issues. Such exposure certainly helps in having rich classroom discussion.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument?

a) With all other factors remaining the same, candidates with little or no international experience cannot contribute to business schools as much as candidates with international experience can.

b) Business schools prefer discussions on global business issues to discussions on domestic business issues.

c) Candidates with little or no international experience benefit a lot from business school discussions on international issues.

d) Candidates with international experience generally also bring to class leadership skills, wich are anoter important criterion in business school admissions.

e) Prominent business leaders as well as academicians acknowledge the importance of rich classroom discussions at business schools.

Originally posted by BobsterGMAT on 16 Dec 2017, 02:43.
Last edited by chetan2u on 17 Dec 2017, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
Re: International experience is a key factor for most of the prominent bus  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 18:10
Could anyone please explain why option D is correct and A is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 510 Q46 V17
WE: Web Development (Energy and Utilities)
Re: International experience is a key factor for most of the prominent bus  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 20:51
csaluja wrote:

I too selected A. After seeing D as answer, I understood what argument tells.

International exposure is key factor in MBA selection process. how? Students with international exposure will have bunch of qualities such as X, Y,.... So rich classroom discussion.

A(International exposure) causes B(selected into MBA school).

Option A - tells about students with no international experience. we cannot guarantee this statement from the argument. Argument is talking about students with international experience. Also we cannot say that, Not A or Little A -- Not B

Option D - tells that international students also have qualities Z, which is again an added advantage for selection process. This strengthens that International exposure is a key factor.

-Yuvaraj
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Stop searching someone to motivate you.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 510 Q48 V15
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 11:29
csaluja wrote:

all of those who'll attempt will be confused between A and D
So we shall use negation technique
Negating A will leave us with no difference
But negation D will weaken the conclusion
HENCE D IS CORRECT.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 21:56
There is only one strong reason to reject A:

1. Person without an international exposure can also gain knowledge thru reading/media etc. " Cannot" is a very strong word.

As per the conclusion" International experience is a key factor for most of the prominent business schools in choosing candidates during their MBA selection process" , we need to find a strengthener that will fortify B school decision in selection . Option D does that & Hence the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 00:32
Out of all the options B and E can be neglected because they are out of scope.

a) With all other factors remaining the same, candidates with little or no international experience cannot contribute to business schools as much as candidates with international experience can.

A is a contender but it fails to fit into a scenario in which all students have international experience. So If all have international experience then as per A there need not be any effect. So Avoid A

c) Candidates with little or no international experience benefit a lot from business school discussions on international issues.

Same logic with A

d) Candidates with international experience generally also bring to class leadership skills, which are another important criterion in business school admissions.

Well this is the answer
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 08:39
Can anyone explain why not B?

Noted that pkm9995109794 said it was "out of scope", but was thinking that if business schools prefer global business discussions, and the given statement said international applicants bring a stronger perspective on global issues, then it would strengthen the argument that international experience is a key factor in admissions because it boosts the whole "rich classroom discussion" thing.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 22:04
b) Business schools prefer discussions on global business issues to discussions on domestic business issues.

mhe801 option B is a passive strengthener, which means B is not projecting the unique trait which can strengthen the argument as D does.You need not have any international experience in order to "discuss" global business issues. You can just read a news paper and discuss those issues in the class. Hope you got the catch.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 14:40
Got it, thanks pkm9995109794 !
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 18:17
imyuva wrote:
csaluja wrote:

I too selected A. After seeing D as answer, I understood what argument tells.

International exposure is key factor in MBA selection process. how? Students with international exposure will have bunch of qualities such as X, Y,.... So rich classroom discussion.

A(International exposure) causes B(selected into MBA school).

Option A - tells about students with no international experience. we cannot guarantee this statement from the argument. Argument is talking about students with international experience. Also we cannot say that, Not A or Little A -- Not B

Option D - tells that international students also have qualities Z, which is again an added advantage for selection process. This strengthens that International exposure is a key factor.

Is the conclusion in argument.....international exp. .....process OR such exposure....discussion

Sent from my SM-A510F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 23:04
In my case, I tried to find a OA between A and D.
B. 'domestic business' issues is out of scope.
C. Candidates need international experience. This is almost assumption about this argument. So C is out.
E. Out of scope.
Acknowledgement of prominent business leaders is nothing in
this argument.
So left thing is onlt A and D.
A. This is so strong. We just want to strengthen about the advantage
of international experiences. How can someone say that
candidates with little or no international experience cannot
contribute to business school? If there is no D, I will choose this.
But there is D, I do not choose this.
D. This mentions about the advantage of international experiences.
'also brings to class leadership skills'
This can strenthen the reason why business school want to their
candidate about international experience.
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 14:23
HG0815 wrote:
In my case, I tried to find a OA between A and D.
B. 'domestic business' issues is out of scope.
C. Candidates need international experience. This is almost assumption about this argument. So C is out.
E. Out of scope.
Acknowledgement of prominent business leaders is nothing in
this argument.
So left thing is onlt A and D.
A. This is so strong. We just want to strengthen about the advantage
of international experiences. How can someone say that
candidates with little or no international experience cannot
contribute to business school? If there is no D, I will choose this.
But there is D, I do not choose this.
D. This mentions about the advantage of international experiences.
'also brings to class leadership skills'
This can strenthen the reason why business school want to their
candidate about international experience.

To you, my friend, and other members,
Strangely, the source of this question cannot be found on the Internet. I used Google to search for the source; the result is negative. Test takers should only practice the gmat-like questions.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 10:44
Negating A implies that candidates with no or less international exp can also contribute to business schools as much as international candidates.
This itself weakens the argument that international exp should be a key factor..isn't it? GMATNinja Please help to understand.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 23:42
Premise : International experience is a key factor for most of the prominent business schools in choosing candidates during their MBA selection process. Students who have worked in countries apart from their own bring to the classroom a whole bunch of qualities - they bring cultural and social insights, understanding of business opportunities and challenges from across the globe, and a firm perspective on global issues.
Conclusion : Such exposure certainly helps in having rich classroom discussion.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument?

The statement is talking about the exposure of International candidates and the quality discussion they bring due to such exposure.. The stem is not discussing about the -ves of little or no international experience.

So even candidates with no international experience students can discuss on global business issues.. Not a big deal
Its good they are benefiting, that's why everyone is there at the Bschool... Out of scope.

d) Candidates with international experience generally also bring to class leadership skills, wich are anoter important criterion in business school admissions.

it looks good, International candidates are bringing something extra to the class..
e) Prominent business leaders as well as academicians acknowledge the importance of rich classroom discussions at business schools.
Yes they acknowledge the rich classroom discussion.. So, how does it influence the difference between international exp and no international exp.

CAT 2017 99th percentiler : VA 97.27 | DI-LR 96.84 | QA 98.04 | OA 98.95
UPSC Aspirants : Get my app UPSC Important News Reader from Play store.

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu

Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)

What I believe is : "Nothing is Impossible, Even Impossible says I'm Possible" : "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish".

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 05:53
Conclusion is Students who have worked in countries apart from their own bring to the classroom a whole bunch of qualities. Only D is talking about new qualities and contribution in this direction.

May I ask for the source of this question?

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

GMAT Club Bot
Re: International experience is a key factor for most of the prominent bus &nbs [#permalink] 16 Aug 2018, 05:53

International experience is a key factor for most of the prominent bus

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap