Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:37 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Dear Experts,

Please evaluate my profile for ISB.

27 year old Indian Female
GMAT: expected 720-730
GPA: Undergraduate (2012) – 72% in Chemistry (Hon) from Miranda House, Delhi University
Post-grad (2014) – 69% in PGDM from ITM, Navi Mumbai

Work Experience (4 years):
- Currently employed in a Corporate Sales role at one of India’s leading banks, managing a team of 3 people.
- Was previously employed in a Corporate Sales role at another leading bank (2 years), and before that with one of India’s biggest Telecom operators as a Retail Store Manager handling a team of 12 executives (2 years)

Extra-curricular's:
- Currently an active member of a Mumbai NGO which provides mentorship to underprivileged kids.
- Previously associated with a leading foundation and taught underprivileged kids in slum areas.
- Formal training in Hindustani Classical Music (10 years)
- Currently a keyboard player as a personal hobby

Goals:
My career goal is to emerge as a leader in Marketing/Brand Management in the FMCG/Telecom space

Short term goal would be to work in the Brand Management team for a leading FMCG

Questions –

- Given my profile, will 720 be a good-enough GMAT score for me?

- Will my present experience in Retail and Sales be seen as favourable for a switch to Brand/Marketing?

- Are there elements that are missing in my profile or anything I need to emphasise more on?

Thanks for your time and help!
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
thanks MBADecoder for the comments !
pls share the email id on which I can send the pdf.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi guys,

Profile:

X - 82.6%
XII - 83%
Chemistry (Hons) from Delhi University
LLB from Delhi University

I have 7 years of experience. 4.5 in mid level management and 2.5 in litigation. In my existing profile I manage process transformation of legal work from onshore lawyers in about 16 countries to offshore unit in India. I turned 32 a month back.

My existing salary is higher than ISB’s average domestic but my whole plan to do an MBA was to move into senior management in a KPO set up or change my industry for good.

I don’t know of any lawyers who have done an MBA after working for a few years and so do you guys think my profile is something ISB might be interested in or will PGPX be better for me with my experience and age?

Many thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Send PM
Hi ! I am 23 Y Female Engineer with close to 3 years of Work-ex now.

Class 10: 84% (overall)
89% (Best 5 subjects)

Class 12: 91.4%

Undergrad : CGPA 7.5/10

Full time work-ex : Total 3 years both in Management Consulting Companies but in their Analytics Division.
(2 years-ZS Associates and will complete 2 years at Boston Consulting Group in 2019)

I would like to get my profile evaluated for getting admitted to intake 2019 batch at ISB and eventually get placed in top front end consulting MBB.

Will ISB be a good choice to apply for ?
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello MSGmat1

ISB will look at your profile holistically on these factors-

Acads- You have decent past scores, but GMAT (actual or expected) score will help gauge chances better.
Work Ex- You are in one of the industries best suited for an MBA. But mentioning your career progress and accomplishments will be more crucial than the industry or number of years.
Post MBA Goals- You wish to work for MBB, but why do you need an MBA for that. Why can't you progress on that path without an MBA. Establish a compelling need in your story.
Diversity- This is probably your strongest point (don't know about your GMAT). Emphasize in your story on your class will benefit from your presence.
ISB is a good choice provided you are clear about your need of an MBA.
All said an done success will depend on how strongly you tie everything together in your written application.

Best

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
Website
Blog
Quora
LinkedIn
onembacoach (at) gmail (dot) com

MSGmat1 wrote:

89% (Best 5 subjects)

Full time work-ex : Total 3 years both in Management Consulting Companies but in their Analytics Division.
(2 years-ZS Associates and will complete 2 years at Boston Consulting Group in 2019)

I would like to get my profile evaluated for getting admitted to intake 2019 batch at ISB and eventually get placed in top front end consulting MBB.

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello navin181297

Please see my feedback in Blue
Let me know if you wish to discuss this further.

navin181297 wrote:
GMAT: 700-720 (expected) What is your timeline for the GMAT?
CGPA: 8.6/10 Past acads are decent. Recommended GMAT will be 720+ to stand a fighting chance.
Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
WORK EXPERIENCE:

FINLYTICS SOLUTIONS
Vice President, Design
Working with a group of six people running the startup in FinTech world. Helping them with the UI/UX design of the App and also being a key member taking necessary decisions for competing Apps like Walnut, ET Markets, etc.
Short but Good work ex- but what have you achieved in this tenure. ISB is more interested in your accomplishments.

L&T CONSTRUCTIONS (2018)
Student Intern
Project: ITC Sonar Expansion (ITC Hotels Group, Kolkata)
Worked with engineers to understand the finishing part of the 5-star hotel. Also, the methodology of different finishing styles by M/S WATG, Singapore.
This is basic info. What is the impact that you had? You tell more than just your role & responsibilities. Plus internship will not have as much role to play as your actual work ex.

L&T CONSTRUCTIONS (2017)
Student Intern
Project: ITC Sonar Expansion (ITC Hotels Group, Kolkata) Worked with engineers to understand and implement the structural part of the 27-floored hotel. Also, understa- nding the structural drawings and their implementation by Sterling Engineering Group Pvt. Ltd.

Sam feedback as above. You have close to 2.5 years of work ex. Why are you looking for an MBA at this stage of your career? Be prepared to justify that. You will need a spike in other areas of your profile to do that.

ELITE GRID ACADEMY
Business Development Executive & Graphic Designer
Worked with the educational institution in sales. Helped them making a business model for attracting more aspiring students and also did all graphic designing projects related to publicity & marketing.
VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE:

WIN OVER CANCER
Helping the non-profit organisation for spreading awareness and early detection & treatment of Cancer.

TEDx VIT Vellore, Organizer
Working with a team of 10 co-organizer & finding the “ideas worth spreading” – TED’s Mission.

E-Cell VIT Vellore, Director of Design
Working with the team to expand the horizon of entrepreneurship & startup culture in the college campus.

American Society of Civil Engineers, Core Committee
Worked with the internationally known ASCE to help them organize various events & fests for Civil Dept.
The extracurricular activities look very interesting. What was the duration. You could bring some of these as stories in your essays.

Achievements:

Rank 1 - District & State level, National Child Rights' Congress

Always among top 10 in School level Olympiads organised by SOF.

Credit holder for MacMillan Olympiad

Achieved 23 Subjective Academic medals.

Good but repeating myself- more than academic achievements also focus on work related achievements and business impact more than technical

Most importantly you have not mentioned your reasons to pursue an MBA. This will play the most important role and has to fit your career, skills and ISB. Needless to say final success will depend on how you bring this out in your written application

Best

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
Website
Blog
Quora
LinkedIn

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello madonna90

First impression is definitely a diverse profile than an average applicant.
However, 2 glaring questions- Why do you need a Second MBA?
You are already in a business role as opposed to many candidates who are in a technical role, so why MBA?
720+ will be a good score to target looking at your profile & past acads, higher the better, but you will need to convince the need for a second MBA.
If you can bring that out, your Retail experience will benefit you in bagging the role that you are targeting.
Your extracurricular also look good, but bring out the impact and how have these activities made you a better leader.
No doubt how strongly you package your written application will be the deciding factor.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
Website
Blog
Quora
LinkedIn

madonna90 wrote:
Dear Experts,

GPA: Undergraduate (2012) – 72% in Chemistry (Hon) from Miranda House, Delhi University

- Currently employed in a Corporate Sales role at one of India’s leading banks, managing a team of 3 people.
- Was previously employed in a Corporate Sales role at another leading bank (2 years), and before that with one of India’s biggest Telecom operators as a Retail Store Manager handling a team of 12 executives (2 years)

Extra-curricular's:
- Currently an active member of a Mumbai NGO which provides mentorship to underprivileged kids.
- Previously associated with a leading foundation and taught underprivileged kids in slum areas.

Goals:
My career goal is to emerge as a leader in Marketing/Brand Management in the FMCG/Telecom space

Short term goal would be to work in the Brand Management team for a leading FMCG

Questions –

- Will my present experience in Retail and Sales be seen as favourable for a switch to Brand/Marketing?

- Are there elements that are missing in my profile or anything I need to emphasise more on?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello, I am an Electrical Engineering graduate passed out in 2017 with CGPA 8.21.
10th board percentage- 85% (state board)
12th board percentage- 89.8%(state board)
Currently working as an assistant manager in an MNC smelter.
I am planning to appear in GMAT exam within next 6 months. Is it possible to get into ISB with the above mentioned profile?

If yes, how should I proceed?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello, I am an Electrical Engineering graduate passed out in 2017 with CGPA 8.21.
I am planning to appear in GMAT exam within next 6 months. Is it possible to get into ISB with the above mentioned profile?

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello lphukan

It is virtually impossible to tell your chances based on such limited information.
What you have provided is just Stats- Grades and Years of Work Ex.
Your application is more that that. ISB would want to know your Achievements, Career Progress and compelling Reasons to Pursue MBA.
Not sure if you have 2 years of work ex required for ISB.
Also, with 6 months may be too late just in case you are planning to apply this year. For next year, you are right on track.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507

lphukan wrote:

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
MSGmat1 wrote:

89% (Best 5 subjects)

Hi,

You have a couple of good things going for you:

1. working at ZS/ BCG - both feeder companies for b-schools worldwide
2. Analytics is a hot field.

Your undergrad marks are decent. A 700+ GMAT score will also help with recruitments (besides admissions) with the consulting companies while you are at business school, so aim for a high score.

What I didn't understand is your statement about getting placed in consulting MBB - you are already working in MBB. You should explain your role to make yourself more clear.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
anmol_06 wrote:
thanks MBADecoder for the comments !
pls share the email id on which I can send the pdf.

Hi Anmol,

My email address is part of my signature, that's why I never posted it separately. :-) .

Here you go: contact@mbadecoder.com
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
lphukan wrote:

Hello lphukan,

The information provided by you is not sufficient for a detailed profile evaluation. We would require more information pertaining to your professional experience, career progression, role, and achievement. Also, kindly share information about any extra-curricular activities as well.

If you are planning to target the GMAT within the next 6 months, you will not be able to apply for the R1 cycle. You may, of course, consider applying in the R2 cycle. Chances of an admit remaining almost the same in both cases.

All the best!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
rodeoz wrote:
Hi guys,

Profile:

X - 82.6%
XII - 83%

I have 7 years of experience. 4.5 in mid level management and 2.5 in litigation. In my existing profile I manage process transformation of legal work from onshore lawyers in about 16 countries to offshore unit in India. I turned 32 a month back.

My existing salary is higher than ISB’s average domestic but my whole plan to do an MBA was to move into senior management in a KPO set up or change my industry for good.

I don’t know of any lawyers who have done an MBA after working for a few years and so do you guys think my profile is something ISB might be interested in or will PGPX be better for me with my experience and age?

Many thanks!

I know of lawyers, doctors and airforce pilots who have done an MBA and made a drastic transition in their careers. You are not even looking to change the industry. Your story is practical and reasonable. As a practitioner in the BPM / KPO industry you are leveraging your domain knowledge, but as you move up the ladder, your responsibilities will change from managing delivery to developing new business, managing P&L and building alliances & partnerships across the globe. An MBA is the perfect toolkit to acquire a set of skills which will help you get there and perform better.
Send PM
Expert Reply
MSGmat1 wrote:

89% (Best 5 subjects)

Hi MSGmat1,

Thanks for sharing your query.

While we do not have too many details on your progress at work, as well as your achievements, the work experience in management consulting looks good.

Having said the above, your academic performance is decent and a GMAT score upwards of 720 is what you should be aiming for.

Of course, the evaluation of your profile would be a holistic one. Hence, the qualitative part of your application, which includes your essays needs to be stellar. Ensure that you appropriately cover your accomplishments, talk about yourself as a contributor, and put forth goals that align with your profile. However, that you wish to remain in consulting even post-MBA will need to be explained (since you are already into the field) well.

We would like to offer you a free profile evaluation in greater detail :-) Should you feel the need for the same, please do reach out to us.

All the best!
Send PM
Expert Reply
madonna90 wrote:
Dear Experts,

Extra-curricular's:

Goals:

Questions –

Hi madonna90,

Thanks for writing in.

Definitely, a lot working for you in terms of work experience, managerial exposure, and some fine extra-curricular engagements. We are confident these can be woven together to build for you a strong story. The career goals also seem logical and well-aligned :-)

However, the tricky part will be the explanation for a second MBA and we will need to ensure that we explain exactly why we need another MBA at this point. Hence, we would say that a lot depends on this element and this is something that you will need to take immense care of in your essays.

keeping everything in mind, a 720 is the minimum you should be looking at. The higher the score, the easier it will be for you to differentiate yourself while retaining an edge over other applicants who are essentially only looking at their first MBA.

Hope this helped! :-) Do reach out to us in case you have any follow-up questions.

Good Luck!
Send PM
Expert Reply
rodeoz wrote:
Hi guys,

Profile:

X - 82.6%
XII - 83%

Many thanks!

Hi rodeoz,

Thanks for your query.

First things first, your differentiated profile will definitely provide you an edge over others and of course, there are lawyers, who opt for an MBA after working for a few years. However, what you will need to work on, are your essays, particularly addressing your need for an MBA and what you plan to do post the same. We would say that a large part of your chance of gaining an ISB admit depends on how well you tackle these two questions. Of course, that you need to look at a GMAT score upwards of 700 and speak about your achievements in an appropriate manner are both a given.
The PGPX is for candidates with experience of around 10-15 years. So you don't quite fit the requirement there unless you are willing to wait it out for a few more years :-) For now, we would ask you to focus on your GMAT and post the same focus on preparing a set of stellar essays for the PGP itself.

Hope this helped! :-)

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  83   84   85   86   87  ...  307