Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:36 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 589
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Experts,

Request your advice on profile and a couple of other points

Background:
Indian, Male, Engineer (Automotive Industry - Polymer specialization, Bachelors), 29 yr old, 8 yrs Work-ex till now, GMAT 690

Acads:
10th - 89%
12th 89%
Degree: 8.35/10 (2nd rank in university)

Work:
Tier I automotive company - 1yr 10 months
1. Started as GET, Elevated to technical in-charge - managed 6 persons while leaving
2. Set-up laboratory, Value engineered projects worth 5Cr (Substantial saving as it was about 3% of total company revenue), Managed projects for wide customers.

Leading Two-wheeler manufacturer - 1 year
1. Probably a big mistake to jump. Thought OEM might open up opportunities. Got a level up also in the offer. But the profile was not challenging.
2. However, set-up product development processes for polymer component development. Didn't manage anyone.

Indian Car and truck manufacturer OEM (Fortune 500 company) (1yr 8 months)
1. Improved equipment utilization, lowered product dev and testing time, created benchmark libraries.
2. More of a functional role. Managed 3.

Another Indian car and tractor manufacturer - 4 years so far
1. Had to come back to native city for personal reasons. Now the reasons cease to exist. Free to move. Got a level up in offer.
2. Managed and initiated several projects. Saved good amount of money in ideating and managing projects. (Managed mostly across functions - So no direct reports. Only matrix management during project lifetime)
3. 2 awards. 1 promotion hopeful this year.

Extra-curriculars
1. Secretary of college student council - Equivalent to chairman of college
2. Volunteering in SAE for school children
3. 3 international publications. 4 on anvil.

Post MBA goals
Strategy, General Management, Strategy-Operations Consulting.

Now comes my questions
1. Does it ring a good profile for ISB? Targeting IIM A, B and C one-year MBA also.
2. Should I retake GMAT for higher score? I have never scored less than 730 in official mock. But got a really tough RC that threw me off on that day. Confident of scoring 730-750 if i retake.
3. No international experience, except liaison with counterparts outside India. Difficult to get international experience, in the job profile and industry that I work. Will it affect my profile?

Thanks in advance
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey ss3617

Thank you for the detailed note. Please see my feedback in Blue

ss3617 wrote:
Experts,

Request your advice on profile and a couple of other points

Background:
Indian, Male, Engineer (Automotive Industry - Polymer specialization, Bachelors), 29 yr old, 8 yrs Work-ex till now, GMAT 690

Acads:
10th - 89%
12th 89%
Degree: 8.35/10 (2nd rank in university)
Past Acads are good. Surprised on your GMAT, you have the potential to score higher. As you said could be one bad day. If you are really confident of taking it 720+ in a few weeks, go ahead. But this should not dilute your efforts of putting together a strong written application. It is more important than your GMAT and with application season open essays should be #1 priority. So choose wisely.

Work:
Tier I automotive company - 1yr 10 months
1. Started as GET, Elevated to technical in-charge - managed 6 persons while leaving
2. Set-up laboratory, Value engineered projects worth 5Cr (Substantial saving as it was about 3% of total company revenue), Managed projects for wide customers.

Leading Two-wheeler manufacturer - 1 year
1. Probably a big mistake to jump. Thought OEM might open up opportunities. Got a level up also in the offer. But the profile was not challenging.
2. However, set-up product development processes for polymer component development. Didn't manage anyone.

Indian Car and truck manufacturer OEM (Fortune 500 company) (1yr 8 months)
1. Improved equipment utilization, lowered product dev and testing time, created benchmark libraries.
2. More of a functional role. Managed 3.

Another Indian car and tractor manufacturer - 4 years so far
1. Had to come back to native city for personal reasons. Now the reasons cease to exist. Free to move. Got a level up in offer.
2. Managed and initiated several projects. Saved good amount of money in ideating and managing projects. (Managed mostly across functions - So no direct reports. Only matrix management during project lifetime)
3. 2 awards. 1 promotion hopeful this year.
Overall you have an interesting experience, and I like how you have mentioned a few key accomplishments too. You have a decent shot as ISB and IIM A/B/C. Many people with your ex from the likes of Maruti have joined these colleges in past. But you are still not an over-represented profile so can add diversity to the class. However it will depend on how you show your fresh perspective in the application.

Extra-curriculars
1. Secretary of college student council - Equivalent to chairman of college
2. Volunteering in SAE for school children
3. 3 international publications. 4 on anvil.
Show more impact in these. The list is good on paper, but what did you learn and achieve here is also important.

Now comes my questions
1. Does it ring a good profile for ISB? Targeting IIM A, B and C one-year MBA also.Absolutely. All are good bets with a decent application.
2. Should I retake GMAT for higher score? I have never scored less than 730 in official mock. But got a really tough RC that threw me off on that day. Confident of scoring 730-750 if i retake.
I will repeat myself. A good written application can take 4-6 weeks from scratch. More for some people. That is a lot of time and effort especially along with balancing a job. ISB/IIMA/IIMB applications are open as on today. IIMC will open early June. So prioritize. If you can re-take the GMAT by June end and are 100% sure of improving your score to 730 then go ahead. However, you candidature is strong with the most glaring weakness being GMAT. If you write an excellent application, you could negate that. So look at time vs effort and make a choice.
3. No international experience, except liaison with counterparts outside India. Difficult to get international experience, in the job profile and industry that I work. Will it affect my profile?
International ex helps, but not a requirement. Do not fret about it. Focus on your personal stories.
However, I've not seen the most important factor of the application- WHY MBA? What are your post-MBA goals and why do you need an MBA to reach there? Also Why ISB/IIM?No review or interview without compelling answers.
Feel free to reach out if you wish to discuss this further. All the best.

Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Quora
LinkedIn

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hey ss3617

However, I've not seen the most important factor of the application- WHY MBA? What are your post-MBA goals and why do you need an MBA to reach there? Also Why ISB/IIM?No review or interview without compelling answers.
[color=#0000ff]Feel free to reach out if you wish to discuss this further. All the best.

Hi Varun,

Thanks a lot for the detailed response. Really appreciate your time and effort.

I just observed only after submitting the post that I forgot to mention key info.
Why MBA: MBA was on back of my mind for a while, just that I had other commitments, I couldn't pursue before. I believe and have been advised by superiors as well that I do have a good potential to become a leader. But i definitely lack the skill and knowledge. Need to have an MBA to open up my career in a wide arena.
Have updated Post-MBA goals. Mainly focused on strategy and ops consulting.
Choice of schools mainly due to geography.

Thanks again for your time.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
Hello ss3617

Post MBA goals may need some work. You have leadership qualities, good. But How exactly will an MBA help? Why can't you learn on the job and progress via the current path. You seem to be doing good. You don't need to necessarily answer me- but it is food for thought. B-Schools will surely ask you this in essays or interviews.
Strategy Consulting might be little difficult to get in to with 8 years on work ex in Automobile Sector.
If B-Schools find your future goals not fit or realistic for what they can offer, they will not call you. So I'll suggest you work on building your application along with GMAT prep (in case you are re-taking it)
If you display conviction of thought in your application, you will surely get called for the interview.
Best
Varun

ss3617 wrote:
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hey ss3617

[color=#0000ff]Feel free to reach out if you wish to discuss this further. All the best.

Hi Varun,

Thanks a lot for the detailed response. Really appreciate your time and effort.

I just observed only after submitting the post that I forgot to mention key info.
Why MBA: MBA was on back of my mind for a while, just that I had other commitments, I couldn't pursue before. I believe and have been advised by superiors as well that I do have a good potential to become a leader. But i definitely lack the skill and knowledge. Need to have an MBA to open up my career in a wide arena.
Have updated Post-MBA goals. Mainly focused on strategy and ops consulting.
Choice of schools mainly due to geography.

Thanks again for your time.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Hi All,

I am An IT professional having around 5.5 experience in IT field working as as Quality Assurance Analyst. I have worked in companies like TCS(service based) and Currently in Fiserv(product based). I am currently working on lead role in testing department of one of Fiserv products.My academics are
10th-86%
12th-84%
Graduation-75%

My extra curricular activities include :I reached last round of SSB 3 years back, i have youtube channel of travel + I was involved in Some NGo related work also. I tried to headstart some venture with some of my friends, 2-3 proposals come but could not worked out.

Could you please evaluate my profile for ISB ? Also how much Gmat score is required wrt my profile.

Thanks in advance.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello push12345

Acads are above average, I'll recommend you should target 720+ to be above the average ISB candidate.
That said, only a high GMAT score will not suffice. Being from IT, you will need to bring out your differentiating factors. How are you a good addition to the cohort?
Also don't see your reasons to do an MBA. That will matter the most.
How well you package your application will be the deciding factor in the end. What you have provided is the Quantitative part of your profile, it is necessary to look at the Qualitative side too in order to give a detailed feedback.

Best
Varun

push12345 wrote:
Hi All,

I am An IT professional having around 5.5 experience in IT field working as as Quality Assurance Analyst. I have worked in companies like TCS(service based) and Currently in Fiserv(product based). I am currently working on lead role in testing department of one of Fiserv products.My academics are
10th-86%
12th-84%
Graduation-75%

My extra curricular activities include :I reached last round of SSB 3 years back, i have youtube channel of travel + I was involved in Some NGo related work also. I tried to headstart some venture with some of my friends, 2-3 proposals come but could not worked out.

Could you please evaluate my profile for ISB ? Also how much Gmat score is required wrt my profile.

Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello push12345

Acads are above average, I'll recommend you should target 720+ to be above the average ISB candidate.
That said, only a high GMAT score will not suffice. Being from IT, you will need to bring out your differentiating factors. How are you a good addition to the cohort?
How well you package your application will be the deciding factor in the end. What you have provided is the Quantitative part of your profile, it is necessary to look at the Qualitative side too in order to give a detailed feedback.

Best
Varun

push12345 wrote:
Hi All,

10th-86%
12th-84%
Graduation-75%

Thanks in advance.

Hi Varun

Thanks for taking time to give your comments and evaluate the same.

I want to do Mba in startegy. That is the thing which I like the most and would like to take my career in that stream also. I have done pretty much on project side and stuff and I would like to grow my career in new role.
Could you please give me some points to build more or bring out more on Qualitative side of things ?

Thanks in advance
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello push12345

'Strategy' may be too broad a goal. Are you looking a Management Consulting? IT Consulting? General Management? Either way, you should have compelling answers to How will an MBA help you achieve these goals?
Apart from GMAT preparation, I will suggest you start working on your written applications already considering applications of ISB & IIM A/B are open as on today.
You should finalize realistic goals that fir your colleges and your own profile.
Start tackling the essays.
All the best
Varun

push12345 wrote:
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello push12345

Best
Varun

push12345 wrote:
Hi All,

10th-86%
12th-84%
Graduation-75%

Thanks in advance.

Hi Varun

Thanks for taking time to give your comments and evaluate the same.

I want to do Mba in startegy. That is the thing which I like the most and would like to take my career in that stream also. I have done pretty much on project side and stuff and I would like to grow my career in new role.
Could you please give me some points to build more or bring out more on Qualitative side of things ?

Thanks in advance
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
push12345 wrote:
Hi All,

10th-86%
12th-84%
Graduation-75%

Thanks in advance.

Hi push12345,

Thanks for writing in.

Good to see that you have substantial work experience, leadership experience, and decent extra-curriculars (though, you have not much elaborated on your NGO stint). Having said that, your academics are not stellar and your background that of a typical India IT Male :-)

To offset the weaker aspects of your profile, try and aim for a score at least upwards of 720 as this will help differentiate your case in an overrepresented pool. Further, focus on producing a set of stellar essays that speak of your need for an MBA, present your strengths appropriately, demonstrate your suitability for an MBA program, and speak of how you will contribute as well. In terms of goals, Strategy is way too broad and you will need to ensure that your goals are more specific and clearly categorized into short-term and long-term. If possible, do put forth a larger vision as well. Needless to say, the goals must seamlessly flow from your existing work experience.

Should you wish to discuss this in greater detail, feel free to reach out.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: ISB '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Dear Experts,

Kindly give an honest and realistic assessment as I have to take a crucial decision based on my chances. Here is my profile:

12th (CBSE)- 85%
GMAT- 740 (AWA 5)

Re-applicant (don't know what went wrong in interview last year, the interview was very unpredictable).

Work-ex:
PHILIPS LIGHTING INDIA LIMITED (formerly PHILIPS INDIA LIMITED) 2014 - Present

Current Designation- Assistant Development Engineer
Have been working on product development (transitioned from design to development keeping long term focus in mind) and as a part of job I collaborate with various cross functional teams and look after complete development process.
Recently I have been made part of global smart lighting product team where I am looking after India centric developments and strategic alliances with the help of marketing team.

Promotions: 1 grade promotion and 2 designation changes.
Awards: Best Innovation award in my business vertical and various other appreciations.

EC:
1. Have been an active Toastmaster. Served as President of Noida chapter of Toastmaster and led the club to win the most coveted golden gavel award.
2. Have served as executive member of technical student society in graduation and organised various events.
3. Have a paper publishing in IEEE students conference proceedings.

Why MBA?
Want to transition to product management from product development and in long term want to get into business leadership.

Please analyse any possible flaws in the profile. Thanks!
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello anmol_06

Thank you for the information. Please see my replies in Blue.

Best

Varun

anmol_06 wrote:
Dear Experts,

Kindly give an honest and realistic assessment as I have to take a crucial decision based on my chances. Here is my profile:

12th (CBSE)- 85%
GMAT- 740 (AWA 5)
Above average aptitude. Hope you are focusing on your essays currently, as the application season is already open.

Re-applicant (don't know what went wrong in interview last year, the interview was very unpredictable).If you got a call, that means AdCom definitely saw a potential Though is is tough pinpoint the reason for a ding without looking at your application, are you positive that the reason was interview and nothing else?

Work-ex:

Have been working on product development (transitioned from design to development keeping long term focus in mind) and as a part of job I collaborate with various cross functional teams and look after complete development process.
Recently I have been made part of global smart lighting product team where I am looking after India centric developments and strategic alliances with the help of marketing team.

Awards: Best Innovation award in my business vertical and various other appreciations.
You've mentioned Promotions, years, designation, responsibilities but not achievements. ISB will want to focus on that more than anything.

EC:
1. Have been an active Toastmaster. Served as President of Noida chapter of Toastmaster and led the club to win the most coveted golden gavel award.
2. Have served as executive member of technical student society in graduation and organised various events.
Interesting- highlight the fact that your interest in these activities in not fleeting with a set of accomplishments or the sort of impact you have had.

Why MBA?
Want to transition to product management from product development and in long term want to get into business leadership.
Why can't you reach here by following your current path? Why do you necessarily need an MBA? How will it add to you?

Since you are a re-applicant you will need to show how you have improved in the last one year and are ready to be admitted now. With a strong GMAT the reason is obviously something else that has not been able to convince the AdCom. You must have received a feedback on last year's application, what does it say? Because you should not be making the same mistake this time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Schools: ISB '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
thanks oneMBAcoach for your comprehensive feedback !

I did ask for feedback from ISB but they denied saying that they won't be giving individual feedback this year.

Though I'll do my research with the inputs provided by you. thanks again !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Require help regarding deferred admission. Anyone up?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
navin181297 wrote:
Require help regarding deferred admission. Anyone up?

what do you want to know?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I want my profile to be evaluated for deferred admission in Harvard, Stanford or Yale.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT: 700-720 (expected)
For all other details, kindly refer to the CV attached.
Attachment:
Navin-resume-updated1.jpg
Navin-resume-updated1.jpg [ 63.38 KiB | Viewed 1674 times ]
Attachment:
Screenshot_20180526-192822_01.jpg
Screenshot_20180526-192822_01.jpg [ 65.3 KiB | Viewed 1390 times ]

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
anmol_06 wrote:
Dear Experts,

12th (CBSE)- 85%
GMAT- 740 (AWA 5)

Re-applicant (don't know what went wrong in interview last year, the interview was very unpredictable).

Work-ex:

EC:

Why MBA?

Hi Anmol,

I can have a look at your application and give you some feedback. You can email me your application PDF (unsecured file)

You probably messed up your interview. there could be several pitfalls there:

1. Not answering questions with relevant details
2. sounding immature (we come across many applicants)
3. Not articulating your goals too well - while you would require an MBA to move from a technical role to a commercial one- how well were you able to articulate this/ show some aspirational career goals :
4. articulate the need for an MBA.
The goals require a lot of clarity and there could be quite a bit of cross-questioning on them. So you have to be well prepared to tackle this beast.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  82   83   84   85   86  ...  307