Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:33 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
MBADecoder wrote:
Hi Alekh,

you have good work experience and have achieved quite a bit so far.

My first thought on reading this was, with all your achievements, why do you need an MBA? You are doing reasonably well in your career, are already a product manager, a post MBA goal for most. So you will have to come up with a strong reasoning, via the career goals about your career aspirations which could only be achieved after an MBA

Secondly, your extracurricular experiences are good, but they should show depth not just breadth. From now until the application cycle starts, I' ask you to focus on a few stronger activities and build more intense experience there rather than doing newer things.

Its helpful to bell the GMAT early. All the best for this missing piece of the puzzle. A 740+ score will help overcome the negative impact of a low GPA.

MBADecoder
Hello Namita,
Thanks for a prompt response and your kind words. I hope you are doing well.

I actually want to start my own business and I have been working on an idea since past 2 years. I think I would need an MBA for the same because it will teach me how to turn my idea into a good business without the stress of the real world. I consider "experiences" and "learning" as one of the key factors in success and thus an MBA program would teach me the tricks and trades of doing business and the process of entrepreneurship, while I can test things and discuss them with industry experts.

I am focusing on the general management aspect of MBA so that I get experience in people management and some familiarity of hard skills, such as marketing, finance, strategy, etc. There's a lot an MBA has to offer(Alumni Network, Mentoring Opportunities, Free Space, Boot-Camps, etc)
Can I ask you one more question?
I am working in IT industry right now, and my idea is into F&B, and we know they are completely different, so that won't be a problem to convince the adcoms right? In why MBA kind of questions?

Sure, I'll focus on the depth of things now instead of spreading my arms into different things. Thanks for this beautiful piece of advice.
Kind Reagards!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kevin776 wrote:
You seem to have a solid profile. All the aspects of your application appear to be well balanced and anything above 700 will make your ISB journey easy.
A score of 730 and above will put you at a very advantageous position for colleges like MIT, Yale, Wharton. However, you must also aim to strengthen your community work aspect of the application.
All the best!

Hey Kevin776,
Thanks for your response, mate. I appreciate the same.
I'll focus to get more community work so as to strengthen my application. Though, I did not mention the same in my first post because I thought I had written a lot for my profile evaluation.
I have been an active member of Art Of Living since 2011 ( please google the same, if you aren't sure what it is) and I have worked with many NGOs to get things straight for those beautiful people out there. I have worked for them in slums, did some teaching/mentoring to poor people living in my area and once we donated over 1500 first-aid kits and 500 white boards as volunteer work during my college days. I'll try to get more such works.

Kind Regards!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
aalekhoza That's great if you have worked with these NGOs but make sure to provide your exposure at the leadership roles in these organisation. If you look at the profiles of MBA applicants to the top B schools, you will find a comprehensive community work not only as a volunteer but also at different leadership roles. You should avoid emphasising on participatory activities much. It is however good to use such participation to emphasise on your behavioural qualities in the essays!

aalekhoza wrote:
Kevin776 wrote:
You seem to have a solid profile. All the aspects of your application appear to be well balanced and anything above 700 will make your ISB journey easy.
A score of 730 and above will put you at a very advantageous position for colleges like MIT, Yale, Wharton. However, you must also aim to strengthen your community work aspect of the application.
All the best!

Hey ,
Thanks for your response, mate. I appreciate the same.
I'll focus to get more community work so as to strengthen my application. Though, I did not mention the same in my first post because I thought I had written a lot for my profile evaluation.
I have been an active member of Art Of Living since 2011 ( please google the same, if you aren't sure what it is) and I have worked with many NGOs to get things straight for those beautiful people out there. I have worked for them in slums, did some teaching/mentoring to poor people living in my area and once we donated over 1500 first-aid kits and 500 white boards as volunteer work during my college days. I'll try to get more such works.

Kind Regards!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aalekhoza wrote:
Hello Namita,
Thanks for a prompt response and your kind words. I hope you are doing well.

I actually want to start my own business and I have been working on an idea since past 2 years. I think I would need an MBA for the same because it will teach me how to turn my idea into a good business without the stress of the real world. I consider "experiences" and "learning" as one of the key factors in success and thus an MBA program would teach me the tricks and trades of doing business and the process of entrepreneurship, while I can test things and discuss them with industry experts.

I am focusing on the general management aspect of MBA so that I get experience in people management and some familiarity of hard skills, such as marketing, finance, strategy, etc. There's a lot an MBA has to offer(Alumni Network, Mentoring Opportunities, Free Space, Boot-Camps, etc)
Can I ask you one more question?
I am working in IT industry right now, and my idea is into F&B, and we know they are completely different, so that won't be a problem to convince the adcoms right? In why MBA kind of questions?

Sure, I'll focus on the depth of things now instead of spreading my arms into different things. Thanks for this beautiful piece of advice.
Kind Reagards!

My team of consultants at MBA Decoder always discourages applicants from writing entrepreneurship as a short term career goal. If you have a business idea (since two long years- it could also be obsolete by now) you should convert it to business reality. Moreover, a business school is not the reason to wait to launch it. The best way to learn is getting your hands dirty. You'll be a much stronger MBA candidate if you have already launched and become successful/ or failed - either way you will have a steep learning curve and would also know what your key learning areas are going to be at B-school. And you would have the experience to teach others a thing or two.

The way I see this working for you is talking about some learnings/ some failures at your current jobs since it seems to be an entrepreneurial role.
Regarding your aspirations in F&B sector - if its only on paper, then I would not be convinced by it.
Goals essay is important. Tread this one carefully.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
NamGup wrote:

hi Namita
Thanks for pointing it out. With regards to career goal, as per your advise, it is better to move into IT Product Management rather than opting for consultancy. It will be a great help if you guide me on this and suggest better options post MBA.
Since my work includes handling various applications and module of any organization, I have to possess good insight of the functionalities of the product and how it is interconnected to other applications or any third party vendors. Moreover, my job also includes continuous client interactions and sometimes with the end users. Hence persuasiveness is a must quality that one should possess in such roles. I am glad that I have that skill.

Regarding ISB PGP Pro, I am not sure if that will really be the best option in this case, as my first priority is PGP Programme only. Apart from this, I have no idea if PGP Pro provides placement assistance too. Should I skip ISB from my list and focus on other Business schools ?
ISB is my first choice however. I will be really disappointed if my age becomes a barrier to my future career goals, and is an hindrance in getting admission despite of having a good profile.

Your inputs and suggestions are most welcome.

Many Thanks and Regards!!

As I mentioned earlier, career goals require more thought and analysis. However, I'd agree that product management sounds more suited to your experience so far. Moreover, consulting is a vast term. What kind of consulting are you talking about? While tech consulting may work for you as a goal, strategy consulting would not- they hire b-school candidates at a much more junior level.

Also, when you get down to writing your career goals in the application, show the passion for product management and building products that help someone. Talking about a skill match alone does not help you present a very strong case.

With regards to your b-school choice, I'd ask you to attend ISB events and webinars and also meet the adcom when you get a chance to. Its never wise to apply to just one b-school. You'd be eligible to apply to most IIMs among the Indian programs, so do put in more than one application.

Thank you Namita for your prompt reply.
Yes I agree strategy consulting will be really difficult to move into. I would like to take up Management consultancy for IT companies and also focused on Product Management. I really need to work harder on my application for top B schools.

Your advice and suggestions are most welcome.

Regards
Namrita
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
My team of consultants at MBA Decoder always discourages applicants from writing entrepreneurship as a short term career goal. If you have a business idea (since two long years- it could also be obsolete by now) you should convert it to business reality. Moreover, a business school is not the reason to wait to launch it. The best way to learn is getting your hands dirty. You'll be a much stronger MBA candidate if you have already launched and become successful/ or failed - either way you will have a steep learning curve and would also know what your key learning areas are going to be at B-school. And you would have the experience to teach others a thing or two.

The way I see this working for you is talking about some learnings/ some failures at your current jobs since it seems to be an entrepreneurial role.
Regarding your aspirations in F&B sector - if its only on paper, then I would not be convinced by it.
Goals essay is important. Tread this one carefully.

Thanks for the reality check, Namita!
The idea, which I was speaking about, is a 2.0 version of the startup that I had during my college days. I actually upgraded the same with finer details and I was waiting for the perfect time to launch the same. Right now, it wasn't the perfect time to market the product because as of now it's industry is new and we are doing R&D on the demand. Once created, we'll shoot.

I'll surely consider all your points in my applications and will give a second thought for writing entrepreneurship as a short term career goal.
I really appreciate your help and your kind advises. Thanks, again.

Kind Regards!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
aalekhoza wrote:

Thanks for the reality check, Namita!
The idea, which I was speaking about, is a 2.0 version of the startup that I had during my college days. I actually upgraded the same with finer details and I was waiting for the perfect time to launch the same. Right now, it wasn't the perfect time to market the product because as of now it's industry is new and we are doing R&D on the demand. Once created, we'll shoot.

I'll surely consider all your points in my applications and will give a second thought for writing entrepreneurship as a short term career goal.
I really appreciate your help and your kind advises. Thanks, again.

Kind Regards!

Check this out: https://www.isb.edu/cie/education/paev
The PGP curriculum offers many electives to the students. You can choose electives keeping in mind your career aspirations and end goal. The Planning an Entrepreneurial Venture (PaEV) is a popular elective among students because it offers guidance on how you can start your own entrepreneurial venture.

It gives you an exciting introduction to the process and practice of entrepreneurship and new-venture creation. It is designed according to the latest entrepreneurial breakthroughs. Industry trends and market figures play a vital role in shaping the outlines of this elective.

The PaEV elective is favoured by students because it:

helps you identify an entrepreneurial opportunity and prepare a business plan;
familiarises you with the process and practice of entrepreneurship and new-venture creation;
equips you with conceptual frameworks for evaluating the techno-commercial attractiveness in investing and launching a new venture; and
helps you understand and apply the techniques and processes used to prepare realistic business plans.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

You have a fairly good profile and don't worry about dropping out of the M.S. I have known a friend who dropped out of a post graduation in Science and was able to get admitted to an elite MBA school! I would highly recommend you get in touch with guys at https://www.frensultant.com. I have really found their guidance appropriate and the most interesting part is that they never talk about money, unlike other MBA consultants!

All the best,
Kevin

CHRISKAY wrote:
Hi Friends,

Pls evaluate my profile.

WORK PROFILE:
Currently i'm working as a customs officer (Group-B service) in Govt of India - 3+ years experience.
previously worked as an Assistant manager in a private bank(Core Banking Services) for 1 year.

EDUCATION:
10Th - 78.5%
Intermediate -80%
B-Tech, Biotechnology - 73%
I went to US for my M.S in Biotechnology(with full scholarship), figured out that i've taken a wrong step and that my path didn't align with my long term goals. After talking to my parents and seniors i figured out that i need to do an MBA and also that i need to have a proper work experience before entering into MBA. I moved back to India (dropped out of university) and then my work profile explains what i did.

Hobbies:
Playing Table tennis, watching movies and doing meditation.

Planning to pursue my PGP from ISB and about to start my preparation of GMAT.

Friends, when i self-evaluate my profile, i can't make out where i stand. Throughout my education I've been an above average student. I didn't want to continue in Biotechnology, so i have searched for a career in fields like banking and government and i got into government service where i have a great work experience. But i couldn't find anyone with a similar profile, who has got into ISB. Therefore, i'm very confused. Please evaluate my profile and feel free to tell me if there is any chance for me to get into premier institutes like ISB. Also tell me how much GMAT score would increase my chance of getting into ISB, If any.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:

Check this out: https://www.isb.edu/cie/education/paev
The PGP curriculum offers many electives to the students. You can choose electives keeping in mind your career aspirations and end goal. The Planning an Entrepreneurial Venture (PaEV) is a popular elective among students because it offers guidance on how you can start your own entrepreneurial venture.

It gives you an exciting introduction to the process and practice of entrepreneurship and new-venture creation. It is designed according to the latest entrepreneurial breakthroughs. Industry trends and market figures play a vital role in shaping the outlines of this elective.

The PaEV elective is favoured by students because it:

helps you identify an entrepreneurial opportunity and prepare a business plan;
familiarises you with the process and practice of entrepreneurship and new-venture creation;
equips you with conceptual frameworks for evaluating the techno-commercial attractiveness in investing and launching a new venture; and
helps you understand and apply the techniques and processes used to prepare realistic business plans.

That's quite some information about a specific elective. Thank you so much. I'll check all the pages now. It really is very informative.
Thanks again.

Kind Regards!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi Experts,

My full name is Ashutosh Agarwal. Following is my profile:

Background and nationality:
Indian and complete education in India only.
10th : 81%
12th : 81.4%

Undergrad Information:
BTech: UPTU: Computer science engineering: 72.9%

GMAT: 700 (q 49, v 36)

Work experience and leadership:
IT professional, working in TCS science start of my career
Experience: 4.5 years completed on March.
My client is an Investment Bank and my work, other than technical pieces of stuff, is to have daily calls with client, provide them updates, manage people coming in my work timings(shift lead) and look for providing clients what they are seeking.

Community and others
Organized and participated in multiple events

Please help me evaluate my profile considering I am aiming for IIMs, ISB and top B schools over the world.
Please inform me if any other details are required.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
asthagupta wrote:
Hi Experts,

My full name is Ashutosh Agarwal. Following is my profile:

Background and nationality:
Indian and complete education in India only.
10th : 81%
12th : 81.4%

Undergrad Information:
BTech: UPTU: Computer science engineering: 72.9%

GMAT: 700 (q 49, v 36)

Work experience and leadership:
IT professional, working in TCS science start of my career
Experience: 4.5 years completed on March.
My client is an Investment Bank and my work, other than technical pieces of stuff, is to have daily calls with client, provide them updates, manage people coming in my work timings(shift lead) and look for providing clients what they are seeking.

Community and others
Organized and participated in multiple events

Please help me evaluate my profile considering I am aiming for IIMs, ISB and top B schools over the world.
Please inform me if any other details are required.

Hi Ashutosh

Thanks for posting. Here is our assessment:
- Your educational background (Grade 10,12, and college) are all good. While your performance is not outstanding, there are no red flags here that can create an issue for you.
- Professionally, as an IT professional working at TCS, you are part of an over-represented pool of applicants to ISB. Your work with investment banking clients helps, though, and could be a potential point of differentiation. Would want more details on this part - what processes do you work on? Any onsite experience?
- Please also provide more details on your community work and also your hobbies. What kind of initiatives have you been part of? What events have you helped organize? Do you have any spikes in extra-curricular activities (sports/music etc)?
- Overall, you will have to work hard to differentiate your application to these top schools. You should aim for a GMAT score of 720+ if possible.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed. Will look forward to more inputs from your side as highlighted here as well.

Originally posted by GyanOne on 15 Apr 2019, 00:38.
Last edited by GyanOne on 15 Apr 2019, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM