Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 06:47 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
glenrawat96 wrote:
Please evaluate my profile and tell me whether I have a realistic chance at cracking ISB EEO or not.
10/12/Btech - 81.7/80.2/64
Currently 10 months Business development executive work ex at TIME(CAT coaching institute)
Extra curriculars - School Cricket team captain.
Helped organised the college's sports fest.
Member of the college football team.
Also, what GMAT score should I target, if I have any chance that is. Also, please tell me a score at which its actually possible to convert the call and not just the bare minimum to get a call.
Thank you very much in advance :)

Posted from my mobile device

Hello glenrawat96,

No GMAT score can guarantee you a call.

ISB evaluates your profile in a holistic manner; emphasis is placed on your achievements at work, career goals, leadership potential etc. and how each of these are tied up through a well-written set of essays.

It is recommended that you focus on getting as high a score as you can; once the GMAT is out of the way, you must concentrate on putting forth a set of stellar essays, wherein your career goals sync up with your existing work experience.

Should you have any follow up questions, feel free to reach out to us.

Further, the following video may help enrich your perspective on the ISB essays:

All the best!
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
CHRISKAY wrote:
Hi Friends,

Pls evaluate my profile.

WORK PROFILE:
Currently i'm working as a customs officer (Group-B service) in Govt of India - 3+ years experience.
previously worked as an Assistant manager in a private bank(Core Banking Services) for 1 year.

EDUCATION:
10Th - 78.5%
Intermediate -80%
B-Tech, Biotechnology - 73%
I went to US for my M.S in Biotechnology(with full scholarship), figured out that i've taken a wrong step and that my path didn't align with my long term goals. After talking to my parents and seniors i figured out that i need to do an MBA and also that i need to have a proper work experience before entering into MBA. I moved back to India (dropped out of university) and then my work profile explains what i did.

Hobbies:
Playing Table tennis, watching movies and doing meditation.

Planning to pursue my PGP from ISB and about to start my preparation of GMAT.

Friends, when i self-evaluate my profile, i can't make out where i stand. Throughout my education I've been an above average student. I didn't want to continue in Biotechnology, so i have searched for a career in fields like banking and government and i got into government service where i have a great work experience. But i couldn't find anyone with a similar profile, who has got into ISB. Therefore, i'm very confused. Please evaluate my profile and feel free to tell me if there is any chance for me to get into premier institutes like ISB. Also tell me how much GMAT score would increase my chance of getting into ISB, If any.

Hello CHRISKAY,

Thanks for writing in.

Of course, you have a chance at making it to ISB.

It is an important time for you to consolidate all that you have achieved focus on where you want to go post the MBA. Try putting forth a set of essays that focus on your skill-set, achievements, and international exposure. Delve into why you need the MBA and link your career goals with your experiences. Your chances will largely depend on how well you tie the loose ends up in your essays.

With regard to the GMAT, you must definitely aim for a score upwards of 710.

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi,
I have work experience of close to 7 years in the biggest Coal Miner of India - a Maharana PSU. Post- middle level management.
Have won several awards for technical innovation and individual excellence.
Scored 600 in GMAT exam last year.
10- 89.8%
12- 88.2%
B.Tech (Mechanical Engg.) from VNIT, Nagpur - 66%
Appearing for GMAT again - April 2019
Have hobbies of playing badminton (have represented my unit’s badminton team for many years in the intra-subsidiary tournaments), cycling, trekking (and if time permits I go for trekking camps also) apart from this I love reading.
I am looking forward to do MBA and change my field of work if possible.
What score in GMAT should I target to enhance my chances of selection into ISB?

Own Kudos [?]: 278 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
NRJ11090 wrote:
Hi,
I have work experience of close to 7 years in the biggest Coal Miner of India - a Maharana PSU. Post- middle level management.
10- 89.8%
12- 88.2%
Have hobbies of playing badminton (have represented my unit’s badminton team for many years in the intra-subsidiary tournaments), cycling, trekking (and if time permits I go for trekking camps also) apart from this I love reading.

Hello NRJ11090,

You must look at a score upwards of 710.

While the GMAT is crucial, your essays will be just as important, and showcasing career growth, leadership potential, as well as a set of logical goals through the same will be very crucial.

We suggest you view the following video:

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal wrote:
NRJ11090 wrote:
Hi,
10- 89.8%
12- 88.2%

Thanks a lot :)

Hello NRJ11090,

You must look at a score upwards of 710.

While the GMAT is crucial, your essays will be just as important, and showcasing career growth, leadership potential, as well as a set of logical goals through the same will be very crucial.

We suggest you view the following video:

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 515
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V37
Send PM
Hi,
I have work experience of 8+ years in the biggest aviation PSU - AIRPORTS AUTHORITY OF INDIA.
Designation - MANAGER
Scored 680 in GMAT exam.
10- 87.8%
12- 85.0%
B.Tech (Electronics & Comm.) from private Engg. College affiliated to Kurukshetra University - 75%
Have hobbies of playing Cricket, Chess and reading.
I have undertaken various responsibilities in my organisation such as Terminal Manager and Safety Manager.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi,

please evaluate my profile

10th 87%
12th 65%
BTech in Computer science from one of four govt colleges of state - 7.2/10

Initiated the college community club for creative artwork, that fetched a lot of appraisals and support from students of all batches and college system until it gained official status from college authority. A crucial role in organizing college festivals and a number of seminars. Pushed limits of a simple college project to be published in Google PlayStore to fetch 12K and more downloads, which has also fetched offer from State Technical University.

Worked for a company right after college to suffice their urgent delivery of a product, before I joined the current company. The delivery was successful.

Working with NGO which works for people with disabilities. The pitched idea of audio books for blind kids is a great success. A number of school level books are already out recorded for them.

Currently working for Multinational Consultancy company, with 2+ years of work ex. Quick growth inside the team, from individual member to an acting leader of a team consisting of 5 members. That made company to shift my domain from infrastructure to more demanding domain - implementation. Now I have moved up to constant client interaction and responsible for on-time delivery to date.

Apart from that, self-learned graphics designer, a photographer(maintaining travel blog), and a choreographer - To my hobby, I have choreographed a number of school functions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
Send PM
Hi Experts

Please take a look at my profile and advise what are the chances of me getting into ISB.

10th - 77%
12th - 69%
B.Sc (Comp Sc) - Delhi University - 72%
M.Sc (Comp Sc) - Jamia Hamdard - 83%
M.Tech (Comp Sc) - Banasthali Vidyapeeth - 75%
GMAT - to appear in July 2019

Working with IBM India as Senior System Engineer for almost 8 years. Worked on Production Support environment for world's 3 major banks, having good interpersonal skills, highly appreciated by Clients and Manager. I also took up the responsibility as a Team Lead for past 4 years, managed and handled a team of 6 resources at off-shore. My role also includes constant interaction with clients and sometimes with customers as well.
Also, participated in management activities. Ramp-up entire offshore team for one major account.
SPOC for managing cabs for off-shore resources working in shifts.

Awards - Orion Award for Service Excellence
Manager's Choice Award - for 3 times
IBM Innovation and delivery Excellence Award

Extra curricular Activities :
Participated at IBM events.
Helped poors for arranging old clothes (Not in association with any NGO).
I also offered tuition classes to underprivileged kids of up to class 10th without any fee. (Please tell if this can be added as an ECA?)
Hobbies : Cooking and travelling

My reason for doing MBA is to enter into Product Management or into consultancy as my profile is somewhat inclined towards it. With an MBA it will be easier to move into such roles. I have keen interest into finance domain.

Please advise if I have any chances of getting into ISB if I manage to score well in GMAT.

Originally posted by NamGup on 04 Apr 2019, 11:08.
Last edited by NamGup on 06 Apr 2019, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi,
My name is Abheek Das and I would like an evaluation of my profile for ISB.
Background - Non Engineer (Delhi University)
Academics - 80% overall undergraduate grade; 88% class XIIth & Xth
Work Experience: 4 years
Domain: Management Consulting (Big 4 consulting)
Job Profile: Working in the consumer & retail sector with technical knowledge and project work across Go-to-market Strategy, Sales Acceleration, New Product/Channel Strategy, Finance Process Standardisation, Shared Service Set Up
International Experience: Yes (1 month)
International Assignments: Yes (assignments with the global consulting teams based out of multiple geographies) carried out from the India Office
Industry: Worked in IT/ITes, Telecom, F&B, Consumer Durables
Awards: 2 - 1 (team award) - 1 (individual award)
Promotion: 1 (Analyst to Consultant)
Extra-Curriculars: Music Society in School, Won a few local competitions
NGO Experience: 0
GMAT Score: 610

Thanks!

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
whistler1986 wrote:
Hi,
I have work experience of 8+ years in the biggest aviation PSU - AIRPORTS AUTHORITY OF INDIA.
Designation - MANAGER
Scored 680 in GMAT exam.
10- 87.8%
12- 85.0%
B.Tech (Electronics & Comm.) from private Engg. College affiliated to Kurukshetra University - 75%
Have hobbies of playing Cricket, Chess and reading.
I have undertaken various responsibilities in my organisation such as Terminal Manager and Safety Manager.

Hi Whistler,

First and foremost, it would be great to have a better GMAT score. I think a retake is on the cards, esp. with the deadlines being quite a while away, you have ample time to plan it.

Secondly, in terms of responsibilities, what you have written here are your designations. As a reader not belonging to your industry/company (quite similar to the adcom), I don't understand what it means to be a terminal/ safety manager. To elaborate, what work do you do? Do you manage teams and if yes, then upto how many people? What are your biggest achievements at work? how important/critical is your work to your organization?

Thirdly, you will have to present career goals and a reason for needing that MBA.

Fourthly, if you wish to enhance your profile before the application, think of taking up some meaningful extra-curricular activities (ECA). Hobbies are good, but they impact you alone. An ECA where you impact others, such as volunteering work could help you show leadership/purpose, which helps create the desired impression during the application.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
zainulhere wrote:
Hi,

please evaluate my profile

10th 87%
12th 65%
BTech in Computer science from one of four govt colleges of state - 7.2/10

Initiated the college community club for creative artwork, that fetched a lot of appraisals and support from students of all batches and college system until it gained official status from college authority. A crucial role in organizing college festivals and a number of seminars. Pushed limits of a simple college project to be published in Google PlayStore to fetch 12K and more downloads, which has also fetched offer from State Technical University.

Worked for a company right after college to suffice their urgent delivery of a product, before I joined the current company. The delivery was successful.

Working with NGO which works for people with disabilities. The pitched idea of audio books for blind kids is a great success. A number of school level books are already out recorded for them.

Currently working for Multinational Consultancy company, with 2+ years of work ex. Quick growth inside the team, from individual member to an acting leader of a team consisting of 5 members. That made company to shift my domain from infrastructure to more demanding domain - implementation. Now I have moved up to constant client interaction and responsible for on-time delivery to date.

Apart from that, self-learned graphics designer, a photographer(maintaining travel blog), and a choreographer - To my hobby, I have choreographed a number of school functions.

Hi Zainulhere,

Things seem to be looking good for you. You seem to have initiated a few things and played a leadership role in them- both things are appreciated by adcoms the world over. In terms of your work experience, I didn't quite get what you are doing. Two years' work exp. is a little low, but you still hit ISB's criteria so it should be okay, so long as you can show the following in the application:
1. leadership potential
2. Achievements and impact at work (an outside work)
3. Sound career goals
4. and a definite need for an MBA to achieve your career goals ( that is, the skills you lack in order to achieve your goals could only be attained by an ISB PGP)
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
NamGup wrote:
Hi Experts

Please take a look at my profile and advise if what are the chances of me getting into ISB.

10th - 77%
12th - 69%

Working with IBM India for as Senior System Engineer for almost 8 years. Worked on Production Support environment for world's 3 major banks, having good interpersonal skills, highly appreciated by Clients and Manager. I also took up the responsibility as a Team Lead for 4 years, managed and handled a team of 6 resources at off-shore.
Also, participated in management activities. Ramp-up entire offshore team for one major account.
SPOC for managing cabs for off-shore resources.

I also offered tuition classes to underprivileged kids of up to class 10th without any fee. (Please tell if this can be added as an ECA?)

My reason for doing MBA is to enter into Product Management or into consultancy as my profile is somewhat inclined towards it. With an MBA it will be easier to move into such roles. I have keen interest into finance domain.

Please advise if I have any chances of getting into ISB if I manage to score well in GMAT.

Hi NamGup,

You have a good profile. There are two things that concern me and I would get into those straight away:
1. Your age/ WE is on the higher side for the PGP program. With ISB launching a new program PGP Pro 1-2 years ago, where you have a better fit, they are likely to push you to apply for that instead.
2. Your career goals are quite raw at this time. Given your work experience, you will have to do some soul searching on what makes a more compelling story (and one that you will likely pursue once out of business school)- product management or consulting. You could talk about building IT products for the financial services industry, but talking about consulting financial services clients may sound too narrow. Career goals require a lot more thought and analysis than we can do on this thread, so I will leave the discussion here to point out that you need to probe your goals further.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Abheek wrote:
Hi,
Job Profile: Working in the consumer & retail sector with technical knowledge and project work across Go-to-market Strategy, Sales Acceleration, New Product/Channel Strategy, Finance Process Standardisation, Shared Service Set Up
International Assignments: Yes (assignments with the global consulting teams based out of multiple geographies) carried out from the India Office

Thanks!

HI Abheek,

You have a good work experience and come from a target industry. More specifically, what are your achievements at work?
In terms of advice for the applications, your areas for improvement are quite clear:
1. get some volunteering experience. The CSR cell is a good place to begin, especially if taking out time is your biggest challenge.
2. GMAT needs to IMMMMPPPROVE. Think 720+

More international experience or exposure to international clients will always be a plus, so more projects where you get this opportunity will only help enhance your profile.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
NamGup wrote:
Hi Experts

Please take a look at my profile and advise if what are the chances of me getting into ISB.

10th - 77%
12th - 69%

Working with IBM India for as Senior System Engineer for almost 8 years. Worked on Production Support environment for world's 3 major banks, having good interpersonal skills, highly appreciated by Clients and Manager. I also took up the responsibility as a Team Lead for 4 years, managed and handled a team of 6 resources at off-shore.
SPOC for managing cabs for off-shore resources.

Hi NamGup,

You have a good profile. There are two things that concern me and I would get into those straight away:
1. Your age/ WE is on the higher side for the PGP program. With ISB launching a new program PGP Pro 1-2 years ago, where you have a better fit, they are likely to push you to apply for that instead.
2. Your career goals are quite raw at this time. Given your work experience, you will have to do some soul searching on what makes a more compelling story (and one that you will likely pursue once out of business school)- product management or consulting. You could talk about building IT products for the financial services industry, but talking about consulting financial services clients may sound too narrow. Career goals require a lot more thought and analysis than we can do on this thread, so I will leave the discussion here to point out that you need to probe your goals further.

hi Namita
Thanks for pointing it out. With regards to career goal, as per your advise, it is better to move into IT Product Management rather than opting for consultancy. It will be a great help if you guide me on this and suggest better options post MBA.
Since my work includes handling various applications and module of any organization, I have to possess good insight of the functionalities of the product and how it is interconnected to other applications or any third party vendors. Moreover, my job also includes continuous client interactions and sometimes with the end users. Hence persuasiveness is a must quality that one should possess in such roles. I am glad that I have that skill.

Regarding ISB PGP Pro, I am not sure if that will really be the best option in this case, as my first priority is PGP Programme only. Apart from this, I have no idea if PGP Pro provides placement assistance too. Should I skip ISB from my list and focus on other Business schools ?
ISB is my first choice however. I will be really disappointed if my age becomes a barrier to my future career goals, and is an hindrance in getting admission despite of having a good profile.

Your inputs and suggestions are most welcome.

Many Thanks and Regards!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
Abheek wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

HI Abheek,

You have a good work experience and come from a target industry. More specifically, what are your achievements at work?
In terms of advice for the applications, your areas for improvement are quite clear:
1. get some volunteering experience. The CSR cell is a good place to begin, especially if taking out time is your biggest challenge.
2. GMAT needs to IMMMMPPPROVE. Think 720+

More international experience or exposure to international clients will always be a plus, so more projects where you get this opportunity will only help enhance your profile.

Hi MBA Decoder,
Have some major achievements. One of the award ie individual is :-
1) identified USD 4 MN of additional top line for a mid sized food fmcg company:-
A.) led to strong client appreciation
B.) helped to convert a new business opportunity with another client - strong feedback from Chief Sales Officer

I think GMAT needs a go at
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
NamGup wrote:

hi Namita
Thanks for pointing it out. With regards to career goal, as per your advise, it is better to move into IT Product Management rather than opting for consultancy. It will be a great help if you guide me on this and suggest better options post MBA.
Since my work includes handling various applications and module of any organization, I have to possess good insight of the functionalities of the product and how it is interconnected to other applications or any third party vendors. Moreover, my job also includes continuous client interactions and sometimes with the end users. Hence persuasiveness is a must quality that one should possess in such roles. I am glad that I have that skill.

Regarding ISB PGP Pro, I am not sure if that will really be the best option in this case, as my first priority is PGP Programme only. Apart from this, I have no idea if PGP Pro provides placement assistance too. Should I skip ISB from my list and focus on other Business schools ?
ISB is my first choice however. I will be really disappointed if my age becomes a barrier to my future career goals, and is an hindrance in getting admission despite of having a good profile.

Your inputs and suggestions are most welcome.

Many Thanks and Regards!!

As I mentioned earlier, career goals require more thought and analysis. However, I'd agree that product management sounds more suited to your experience so far. Moreover, consulting is a vast term. What kind of consulting are you talking about? While tech consulting may work for you as a goal, strategy consulting would not- they hire b-school candidates at a much more junior level.

Also, when you get down to writing your career goals in the application, show the passion for product management and building products that help someone. Talking about a skill match alone does not help you present a very strong case.

With regards to your b-school choice, I'd ask you to attend ISB events and webinars and also meet the adcom when you get a chance to. Its never wise to apply to just one b-school. You'd be eligible to apply to most IIMs among the Indian programs, so do put in more than one application.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Abheek wrote:

Hi MBA Decoder,
Have some major achievements. One of the award ie individual is :-
1) identified USD 4 MN of additional top line for a mid sized food fmcg company:-
A.) led to strong client appreciation
B.) helped to convert a new business opportunity with another client - strong feedback from Chief Sales Officer

I think GMAT needs a go at

Good achievements and I hope they will only add up as the year progresses.
yes, GMAT is your biggest friend/ enemy :think: ??? "frenemy" :dazed
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  124   125   126   127   128  ...  307