Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:18 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Profile Evaluation Needed:

4 years of work experience as a product manager at India's leading Wealth Management firm

Yet to take the GMAT

Target Schools: ISB, INSEAD, HKUST, SMU, NTU

Education: BCom, MCom from Mumbai University (top commerce college in Mumbai)
TY and Final MCom percentage between 75-77%

Extra Curricular Activities - volunteering at an old age home and at a school for spastic children
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
anidag wrote:
Profile Evaluation Needed:

4 years of work experience as a product manager at India's leading Wealth Management firm

Yet to take the GMAT

Target Schools: ISB, INSEAD, HKUST, SMU, NTU

Education: BCom, MCom from Mumbai University (top commerce college in Mumbai)
TY and Final MCom percentage between 75-77%

Extra Curricular Activities - volunteering at an old age home and at a school for spastic children

Hello anidag,

Thanks for writing in.

Business schools evaluate your profile in a holistic manner and your post is missing important details such as the details of your work experience - achievements, managerial opportunities, international exposure, as well as your career goals.

As this thread is for ISB, we will evaluate your chances for ISB :-) You must definitely aim for a score upwards of a 710. The rest, of course, will depend on your overall profile, as well as the quality of your essays.

Feel free to share the details with us.

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
For ISB YLP stage 1 2019, what should the essay be about? It says- ' What more would you like us to know about your candidature'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Profile evaluation needed:

I have 4.5 years of experience as a SAP consultant
companies worked for: IBM (2014-2017) and Deloitte (2017-till date)
Work Profile: Worked for 3.5 years in SAP IS-utilities in electricity and gas industry and 1 year in SAP PP- PI in consumer products.Trained in SAP PP (have a certificate from SAP, yet to give a certification exam).
Got Manager's choice award in IBM and won 2 awards in Deloitte.

Education:
10th - 86.15%
12th- 92.6%
B.Tech in civil engineering - 72%
Yet to give GMAT.

Extra curricular activities: organised events in college. Was a part of AIESEC, a student community. Organised alumni meet in AIESEC. ( I do not have cert's).

I am aiming for ISB or IIM. Looking to pursue MBA with majors in operations management.
Send PM
Expert Reply
SanjuG wrote:
For ISB YLP stage 1 2019, what should the essay be about? It says- ' What more would you like us to know about your candidature'

Hello SanjuG,

Thanks for writing in.

The application will ask you for a host of questions and the answer to the question you are asking would be dependent on what is the other information you are letting out. Remember, this essay should not repeat any of the information you have already provided the Ad Com with; at the same time, it must be information that tells them more about you as a person.

All the best!
Send PM
Expert Reply
chandrikamridula wrote:

Work Profile: Worked for 3.5 years in SAP IS-utilities in electricity and gas industry and 1 year in SAP PP- PI in consumer products.Trained in SAP PP (have a certificate from SAP, yet to give a certification exam).

Education:
10th - 86.15%
12th- 92.6%
Yet to give GMAT.

Extra curricular activities: organised events in college. Was a part of AIESEC, a student community. Organised alumni meet in AIESEC. ( I do not have cert's).

I am aiming for ISB or IIM. Looking to pursue MBA with majors in operations management.

Hello chandrikamridula,

Thanks for sharing your query. While your achievements look good, we would have loved to know more about your career progression and leadership experience (if any).

The GMAT score will be crucial to help differentiate your cause from applicants in your pool and you must definitely attempt to achieve a score upwards of 720. Of course, the essays must represent your strengths in an appropriate manner and focus on a set of career goals that logically align with your existing experience.

For now, we strongly suggest that you focus on GMAT. Once the test is out of the way, you must deliberate on how you can differentiate your essays from others.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
s

Originally posted by sjfsl on 21 Feb 2019, 02:41.
Last edited by sjfsl on 28 Feb 2020, 13:05, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello chandrikamridula

Your profile has good potential due to past academic academic performance and strong brands on the CV.
The challenge for you will be to show how you stand out in the competitive IT pool of applicants. Strong extracurricular and a GMAT (720+) to back it will help. Currently the extracurricular do not seem very strong through the post (it will depend on your achievements here).
Lastly, the most important piece of the application is missing- career goals. What is the long term vision of your career and why attending ISB is the most logical next step is what you need to answer.

You may want to read here on what factors work in a profile and here to add to your research on career goals.

Best
Varun Sharma
https://gmatclub.com/chat- +918452954888
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

chandrikamridula wrote:

Education:
10th - 86.15%
12th- 92.6%
Yet to give GMAT.

VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello

A few pointers on your profile-

1) With 10 years of experience and wanting to build a career in finance, make sure you do your research on if ISB is the best choice here. In terms of years of experience, you might be an outlier (not a deal breaker certainly, but something worth considering). Secondly, ISB, with all due respect is not known for a lot of finance jobs and whether it is a right fit for you will depend on what you have done till now and what sort of seniority you are at (something your post does not throw much light upon)
2) Be more specific about your career goals- what roles and companies will you target after ISB. What transferable skills do you have that will make it possible for you to achieve this? What skill gaps do you want ISB to fill? Answers to these will also help you identify whether ISB is a right fit for your aspirations.
3) Focus on career progress and achievements at work
4) Also talk about extracurricular activities- these are a good way to add diversity

Best
Varun Sharma
https://gmatclub.com/chat- +918452954888
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

[quote=]Hi,

I am susmith7, currently having 10+ yrs of experience in Consulting, Banking and Taxation. Worked with PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), AAA & Associates, State Bank of India and currently working with Central Board of Indirect Taxation & Customs,Govt of India, in Indirect taxation.

Education Qualification: BE(ECE) from Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi - 76%
+2 - 90%
SSC- 86%

Though I am from technical background, my experience is mostly in finance and consulting. My job requires me to work with Balance sheets and other financials of the different companies with foucs on , Modus operandi, Indirect tax and possible evasion. This developed a keen interest in finance. So, I want to pursue my MBA in ISB to take my career to higher ladder in finance. I am planning to take my GMAT.

Please, Feel free to give suggestions/ inputs by evaluating my profile.[/quote]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
susmith7 wrote:
Hi,

I am susmith7, currently having 10+ yrs of experience in Consulting, Banking and Taxation. Worked with PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), AAA & Associates, State Bank of India and currently working with Central Board of Indirect Taxation & Customs,Govt of India, in Indirect taxation.

Education Qualification: BE(ECE) from Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi - 76%
+2 - 90%
SSC- 86%

Though I am from technical background, my experience is mostly in finance and consulting. My job requires me to work with Balance sheets and other financials of the different companies with foucs on , Modus operandi, Indirect tax and possible evasion. This developed a keen interest in finance. So, I want to pursue my MBA in ISB to take my career to higher ladder in finance. I am planning to take my GMAT.

Please, Feel free to give suggestions/ inputs by evaluating my profile.

Hi susmith7 ,

Here is your profile review:
1. Work experience - Your work experience is definitely on the higher side. You might even be encouraged by ISB to apply to another course that is catered towards people with higher experience. Most of the people that have higher work experience and get an admission generally tend to be from the Military, Navy or other such background. That being said, it is not impossible to get into the program. In fact, ISB internally has a senior executives club that you can be part of post your admission. However, it will be a challenge to prove how you can still compete and gel with the young batch and manage a hectic education at this stage of your career.

2. Your academics look decently strong but your GMAT will play a huge factor. ISB is trying to judge your intellectual capacity through these metrics. However, your academics are far less relevant as you last attended a formal education years ago. Your GMAT score will be a true proof of your current aptitude.

3.Story - It's great that you have diversity in your profile. Although your industry has been similar, you bring in the experience of both Government and Non - government firms. I hope you play this factor well in your essays. I am personally connected with an ISBian whose story was similar to yours. Her work was in auditing and she helped her client save multi-million dollars by noticing a fraud. I believe she can be a good mentor to help you share your story in a compelling way. Please get in touch with me if you would like to connect with her.

4. Post MBA goals - ISB is not really known for its finance placements. This makes your argument of choosing ISB due to your love for Finance, 'not so compelling.' A good way to tackle this will be to research about the Finance department in the school thoroughly and find relevant courses that you would like to take up and also target companies you would like to join post your MBA. This will help in adding depth, clarity and make your case more compelling and feasible to the adcom.

If you are interested in getting mentored by an ISBian who had a story similar to yours, please do get in touch with me directly.
I can also share some sample essays by previous applicants which will help you in understanding how your essays should look like and whether you have the right elements in your profile for the essay.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi,

+2 - 90%
SSC- 86%

Please, Feel free to give suggestions/ inputs by evaluating my profile.

Hi

Hope you're doing well.

Your 10+ years of experience will definitely make you deviate from the rest of the ISB class and your essays will need to make a very strong case for your reason for doing an MBA and why ISB in particular (since ISB may not be the most popular for Finance). You definitely need to be a lot more specific about your career goals.

With regard to your GMAT, you must definitely look for a score above 720; the higher the better; more importantly, however, your essays should be stellar; most definitely, the essays should throw light on your diverse engagements beyond academic and professional pursuits.

The following video may help in this regard:

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
vinay0018 wrote:
Hi Guys

This is Vinay from Nashville, USA
My profile inshort
7 yrs Exp in IT working for TCS, presently QA Lead (5 yrs in India, 2yrs in USA)

SSC 85%
Inter 88.4%
Engineering: EEE(FirstClass+Distinction)

I actually tried GMAT 3 years back but had to move USA for work asssignment. I want to pursue my MBA dream now. Can you let me know how good are my chances for 1 yr course in ISB , IIMA,B,C,L ?
How much GMAT score should I target for?

Hi vinay0018 ,

Here is your profile review for ISB:
1. Weak areas - Being from IT puts you into the heavily saturated IT applicants pool. Try researching about the P1, P2, P3 category of profile segmentation that ISB does. It will help you understand how ISB will bucket your profile. Your total work experience is also on a higher side. 7 years is a bit higher than the average class experience at ISB PGP. This means that you will have to ensure that the adcom understands why you want to do an MBA at this point in your career, how you're capable of competing and contributing with the young classmates.
2. Strong areas - Your strength comes from your international experience and you could use this factor to show diversity. ISB loves international experience and diversity and the right type of essay will help you focus more on these areas instead of your weak areas.
3. GMAT Score required - It really depends, but anything above 710 puts you on the safe side. You can expect a selection even around 690 but you would need a really killer story then. GMAT scores are also a way for the adcom to ensure that you have the intellectual capacity to survive the rigorous curriculum of a 1 year program. Your academic scores are quite old, redundant and hence not relevant anymore. Also, they are comparatively low as compared to an IT applicant. Getting a good GMAT will be a key factor here.

Let me know if you would like to connect with an ex-application review committee member from ISB to get a professional review of your application. Please feel free to inbox me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sivasbanda wrote:
Can someone please help me with profile evaluation?

GMAT - 680
10th - 92%
12th - 96%
Undergrad - 6 CGPA with Masters in Mathematics at BITS Pilani (high number of C's and D's on the transcripts)

Experience : 5.5 years YTD

Worked at 2 startups till date, joining as an early member at both of them. Worked in research consulting space and eventually had the opportunity to manage global VC clients and Fortune 500 CIOs. At the first startup, I hired and managed a team of 8 analysts to manage the clients deliverables and team development. Was a core member of a micro-fund where I was responsible for diligence and competitor analysis of 10+ startups across several industries - analysis carried out for investment purposes.

Also, was the core team member to build an Angel syndicate from scratch and grew it to 4000+ network across India.

Joining as an early member at the second startup, was responsible at hiring an analyst team, setting up the product roadmap and collaborate with the technology team to don the hat of a product manager for the development of the SaaS platform. Released several industry reports on several technologies. One of them was released by IT Minister of Karnataka, Priyank Kharge at Bangalore Tech Summit event. Till date, I was responsible for generating $600k+ in revenue from Healthcare clients.

Awards / accolades : Several promotions and core-member roles in the first startup, but it was not a 'recognizing/awarding' culture. Won several accolades as the team member of month / quarter for my contributions to the fast growth and development of the organization and the SaaS product in the 2nd startup.

Career goals:

Management consultant role would fit well provided my experience in understanding both the innovative startup solutions and business challenges that various Fortune companies are facing currently. I envision to start out as a generalist, but eventually develop an industry expertise in verticals like Education and Healthcare. In the long-term my ambition is to join an impact initiative in the education space or start one myself. Before that, would like to get the relevant industry exposure to develop my understanding of these verticals.

Extracurriculars:

- Volleyball team member and captain in final year during undergrad at BITS Pilani
- Cultural secretary of a regional association on campus. Was responsible for organizing 2 major cultural events of the association.
- Several performances as a Violinist during schooling and undergrad
- Coordination of a Creative Activities Club. Was responsible for managing team projects, organizing events during cultural fests on campus and fund management for the club activities.
- Active member of the BITS Sparks committee where I helped in the fundraising activities of several campus based projects

Why ISB ?

The ecosystem is growing leaps and bounds in India. It would be exciting to witness this growth and be part of it first-hand rather than go away abroad to earn $$. So staying back in India, taking a shot at working in the consulting industry : as business problem solving, market research, evidence based corporate strategy and long working hours have been the norm for the past 5 years.

Thank you very much for your time!
S

Hi sivasbanda ,

Good to see a fellow BITSian here!
I went through your entire profile and here is my take on it:

1. Weak areas - GMAT score is low. Anything above 700 would have made your chances much higher. ISB, or any school for that matter consider GMAT scores to evaluate your aptitude and ensure that you can survive the rigorous 1 year MBA curriculum. You will have to leverage other aspects of your profile to cover for this. Normally, applicants would refer to high undergrad scores but even that is missing here (Msc. Math must have been hard even back then I guess, haha) Also, I believe that your reasoning for ''Why ISB' and 'Why a PGP' has to be deeper than what is currently is. You could definitely add some pointers about the value an ISB education would bring to you and also the network. Even for the consulting roles that you have mentioned, you can be more specific and highlight some recruiters that you are targeting.

2. Strong areas - Your startup experience will be extremely helpful in creating a story of a strong leader, something that ISB values highly. Try to also show a 'spike' in your profile. For this you can leverage the $$ you generated in revenue or the 4000+ network you created. Basically, show that you achieved an amazing feat at work. Your extra curricular activities are quite a few and this can easily be leveraged to show diversity in your profile.

Lastly, I think the goal of becoming a management consultant definitely makes sense with the reasoning that you have given, however, you can also throw in entrepreneurship as a backup or long term goal as that would make sense too.

I'm connected with the President of both, the Consulting club and the Entrepreneurship club at ISB and I can help you with a more thorough profile review and mentorship session for your ISB admissions. A good essay is all it takes to get into ISB and these mentors can help you with it.
Please feel free to inbox me if you need any help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Profile evaluation:

GMAT score:Not yet appeared

Academics:
Btech, Chemical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology (2013-2017) CGPA of 7.6/10
10th : 10.0/10.0
12th: 94.6%

Age 24, Male

Working exp:
1. 2 summer research internships in Germany during undergrad (in simulations, machine learning and IOT. One conference paper with best student paper too. The project was for afforestation in Cameroon using cheaper and affordable solution using ML and IOT)
2. 1.1 year work experience at EXL Analytics as an analytics consultant in BFSI sector (Client facing role, 1 promotion after year 1)
3. Currently working (6 months+) as a data scientist for clients from telecom, aviation and defense sector at a small firm which got acquired by a giant European defense manufacturer. Owning the entire technical part of my project and leading two consultants (but their supervisor is my manager)

Leadership:
Led a team of 100+ students as head of a student community during undergrad

Targeting: ISB

Career Goal: Product Manager at a tech company

Regards
Send PM
Expert Reply
sigma121 wrote:
Profile evaluation:

Academics:
Btech, Chemical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology (2013-2017) CGPA of 7.6/10

Age 24, Male

Working exp:
1. 2 summer research internships in Germany during undergrad (in simulations, machine learning and IOT. One conference paper with best student paper too. The project was for afforestation in Cameroon using cheaper and affordable solution using ML and IOT)
2. 1.1 year work experience at EXL Analytics as an analytics consultant in BFSI sector (Client facing role, 1 promotion after year 1)
3. Currently working (6 months+) as a data scientist for clients from telecom, aviation and defense sector at a small firm which got acquired by a giant European defense manufacturer. Owning the entire technical part of my project and leading two consultants (but their supervisor is my manager)

Leadership:

Regards

Hello sigma121,

Hope you're doing well.

Your strong academic background, particularly graduation from IIT, will add a lot of value to your case.

Having said the above, ISB evaluates profile holistically. Thus, your GMAT score, as well as your essays will be of equal importance in determining your chances. To stand a competitive chance, you must look for a score upwards of 710, and work on preparing essays that strongly represent your skills, as well as portray a logical set of career goals. You have not mentioned a great deal about your extra-curricular activities; hence, be sure to talk about the same.

The following video will be of help to you while working on your essays:

Should you have any follow up questions, please feel free to reach out to us.

All the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Age-25
30 months of experience in Manufacturing industry (Tata Motors) as a production planner and Tool design Engineer. Co-led cross functional teams. No other leadership experience in the industry.
6 weeks summer internship in R&D setup.
Btech in Mechanical engineering from NIT Jalandhar- CGPA-7.94
10th - CGPA- 9.6
12th- 89%
Extracurricular : Captain of the colleges sports team, volunteer in the CSM activities in the company.

Originally posted by raghavrf on 25 Feb 2019, 03:22.
Last edited by raghavrf on 25 Feb 2019, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal wrote:
sigma121 wrote:
Profile evaluation:

Academics:

Age 24, Male

Working exp:

Leadership:

Regards

Hope you're doing well.

Your strong academic background, particularly graduation from IIT, will add a lot of value to your case.

Having said the above, ISB evaluates profile holistically. Thus, your GMAT score, as well as your essays will be of equal importance in determining your chances. To stand a competitive chance, you must look for a score upwards of 710, and work on preparing essays that strongly represent your skills, as well as portray a logical set of career goals. You have not mentioned a great deal about your extra-curricular activities; hence, be sure to talk about the same.

The following video will be of help to you while working on your essays:

Should you have any follow up questions, please feel free to reach out to us.

All the best!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding extra curricular activities, I worked on raising funds for the college endowment, organized a couple of events and sessions as well as represented the college in alumni meets. Was part of it for 3 years during my college, entering as a member and rising all the way up to the core team. I was also involved in the marketing team of the college's cultural fest for a short span. I was actively involved in a lot of extra-curricular activities during school, but not during college except for the two I mentioned before. Also, no sports. Do you think this can be a big issue for my profile? How to overcome that? Should I get involved in some NGO now to compensate that?

Regards
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  122   123   124   125   126  ...  307