GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2019, 21:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Long way to go!
Joined: 10 Oct 2016
Posts: 1331
Location: Viet Nam
GMAT ToolKit User
It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Sep 2019, 07:39
2
4
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 298 sessions

70% (02:56) correct 30% (03:32) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 284 sessions

88% (01:04) correct 12% (01:12) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 295 sessions

50% (01:21) correct 50% (01:34) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make their appearance in Japanese universities. Thus far, very few studies have actually looked closely at the types of courses offered; the content and methodology of the courses; how they are perceived and evaluated by students, faculty, and administrators; and the impact of these courses – both short-term and long-term – on students as well as on the institutions themselves. An annual survey of women’s studies course offerings in higher institutions nationwide conducted by National Women’s Education Center since 1983 is one of few such sources.

According to its 1994 report, in 1992, 268 institutions of higher education offered courses in women’s studies out of a total of 1,101 institutions. There is no question that this represents a significant increase compared to the late 1970s, when only a handful of institutions offered such courses. Yet, looking again at the courses and the proportion of institutions offering them, it must be pointed out that the figure is deceptive. Even in cases in which courses are offered, usually just one or two courses are taught at each institution. Another questionable point concerns the extent to which the various courses are taught from a feminist perspective. The NWEC survey gives no definition for the term women’s studies. The questionnaire asks whether the respondent runs any ‘women’s studies-related course’ by which it basically means any course that is labeled ‘women’s’, such as ‘Women’s Studies’, ‘Women’s Issues’, or ‘Women’s History’ as well as courses in any of the various disciplines that deal with the subject of women or give special attention to women. Our estimate is that courses with explicitly feminist perspectives make up about one-third of all courses offered. The rest seem to consist of best of an ‘add women and stir’ type of approach, as it were. Thus the instructor of a course on Korean history whose theme is ‘The History of Korean Family and Women’ makes the comment: “The course is not from the perspective of women’s studies, but rather to fill a gap in Japanese research on Korean history”.This is not surprising in the light that, in the NWEC survey, only 26 out of 499 instructors teaching women’s studies-related courses – all of whom were women – claimed their field of specialization to be that of women’s studies per se.

Source: Japanese Women: New Feminist Perspectives on the Past, Present, and Future – Kumiko Fujimura-Fanselow, Atsuko Kameda
Which of the following best summarizes the content of the passage?

A. A critique of women's studies as an academic discipline
B. A report on the progress of women's studies programs in Japan
C. An assessment of the status of women's studies programs in the Japanese academia
D. An analysis of the philosophy of women's studies programs
E. An abbreviated history of women's studies programs in Japan in the 1970s
Spoiler: :: OA
C

According to the author, the 1994 report from National Women's Education Center

A. is the only important annual survey of women's studies programs in higher education in Japan since 1983
B. shows for the first time a significant increase in total number of women's studies courses offered since the 1970s
C. highlights that the percentage of male students in women's studies programs is low
D. shows that the male-female ratio in faculties at Japanese universities is not conducive for women's studies programs
E. indicates significant increase in total number of women's studies courses offered since the 1970s, but is inadequate in portraying the correct status of women's studies
Spoiler: :: OA
E


Which of the following can be said about the course ‘The History of Korean Family and Women’?
A. It represents historic research more than an explicit feminist perspective.
B. It does not conform to National Women's Education Center's definition of "women's studies".
C. It is an old course revised by subtly adding a feminist perspective.
D. It is not likely taught by an instructor who claims women's studies as his/her field of specialization.
E. It highlights concerns over the extent to which women's studies are taught from feminist perspectives.
Spoiler: :: OA
A


_________________

Originally posted by broall on 23 Aug 2017, 07:48.
Last edited by SajjadAhmad on 11 Sep 2019, 07:39, edited 2 times in total.
Updated - Complete topic (513).
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 04 Apr 2015
Posts: 219
Reviews Badge
Re: It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 11:16
3
Para1: women subject intro in Japanese courses , a survey to prove that
Para2: survey is misleading , examples to show why misleading ,proof by another survey data misleading

Q1 Ans -C
only option C talks about the introduction of courses so correct

Q2 Ans E
we know author says the data was correct but misleading /deceptive : option E rightly says that and is the answer

Q3 Ans A
the passage states that ‘The History of Korean Family and Women’ makes the comment: “The course is not from the perspective of women’s studies, but rather to fill a gap in Japanese research on Korean history”.
so option A is best pick . rest all options are out of scope
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 16 Sep 2011
Posts: 98
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 23:06
1
broall wrote:
It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make their appearance in Japanese universities. Thus far, very few studies have actually looked closely at the types of courses offered; the content and methodology of the courses; how they are perceived and evaluated by students, faculty, and administrators; and the impact of these courses – both short-term and long-term – on students as well as on the institutions themselves. An annual survey of women’s studies course offerings in higher institutions nationwide conducted by National Women’s Education Center since 1983 is one of few such sources.

According to its 1994 report, in 1992, 268 institutions of higher education offered courses in women’s studies out of a total of 1,101 institutions. There is no question that this represents a significant increase compared to the late 1970s, when only a handful of institutions offered such courses. Yet, looking again at the courses and the proportion of institutions offering them, it must be pointed out that the figure is deceptive. Even in cases in which courses are offered, usually just one or two courses are taught at each institution. Another questionable point concerns the extent to which the various courses are taught from a feminist perspective. The NWEC survey gives no definition for the term women’s studies. The questionnaire asks whether the respondent runs any ‘women’s studies-related course’ by which it basically means any course that is labeled ‘women’s’, such as ‘Women’s Studies’, ‘Women’s Issues’, or ‘Women’s History’ as well as courses in any of the various disciplines that deal with the subject of women or give special attention to women. Our estimate is that courses with explicitly feminist perspectives make up about one-third of all courses offered. The rest seem to consist of best of an ‘add women and stir’ type of approach, as it were. Thus the instructor of a course on Korean history whose theme is ‘The History of Korean Family and Women’ makes the comment: “The course is not from the perspective of women’s studies, but rather to fill a gap in Japanese research on Korean history”.This is not surprising in the light that, in the NWEC survey, only 26 out of 499 instructors teaching women’s studies-related courses – all of whom were women – claimed their field of specialization to be that of women’s studies per se.

Source: Japanese Women: New Feminist Perspectives on the Past, Present, and Future – Kumiko Fujimura-Fanselow, Atsuko Kameda
Which of the following best summarizes the content of the passage?

A. A critique of women's studies as an academic discipline
B. A report on the progress of women's studies programs in Japan
C. An assessment of the status of women's studies programs in the Japanese academia
D. An analysis of the philosophy of women's studies programs
E. An abbreviated history of women's studies programs in Japan in the 1970s
Spoiler: :: OA
C

According to the author, the 1994 report from National Women's Education Center

A. is the only important annual survey of women's studies programs in higher education in Japan since 1983
B. shows for the first time a significant increase in total number of women's studies courses offered since the 1970s
C. highlights that the percentage of male students in women's studies programs is low
D. shows that the male-female ratio in faculties at Japanese universities is not conducive for women's studies programs
E. indicates significant increase in total number of women's studies courses offered since the 1970s, but is inadequate in portraying the correct status of women's studies
Spoiler: :: OA
E


Which of the following can be said about the course ‘The History of Korean Family and Women’?
A. It represents historic research more than an explicit feminist perspective.
B. It does not conform to National Women's Education Center's definition of "women's studies".
C. It is an old course revised by subtly adding a feminist perspective.
D. It is not likely taught by an instructor who claims women's studies as his/her field of specialization.
E. It highlights concerns over the extent to which women's studies are taught from feminist perspectives.
Spoiler: :: OA
A



Source: Experts Global


Have a small doubt on 3rd Questions...Which of the following can be said about the course ‘The History of Korean Family and Women’?
Excerpts from the passage "Thus the instructor of a course on Korean history whose theme is ‘The History of Korean Family and Women’ makes the comment: “The course is not from the perspective of women’s studies, but rather to fill a gap in Japanese research on Korean history[/color]”.

A is just a paraphrase of what is being told in the coloured line.

Believe the question asks more than paraphrase or according to passage, it is about inference and out of the lot I found option E as more relevant.

A. It represents historic research more than an explicit feminist perspective. --- Paraphrase of statement "The course is not from the perspective of women’s studies, but rather to fill a gap in Japanese research on Korean history"
B. It does not conform to National Women's Education Center's definition of "women's studies". --- Its a 180 degree
C. It is an old course revised by subtly adding a feminist perspective. ---its not mentioned
D. It is not likely taught by an instructor who claims women's studies as his/her field of specialization.---it goes beyond what is mentioned in the paragraph...may be it or maybe it is not...not clearly told
E. It highlights concerns over the extent to which women's studies are taught from feminist perspectives.--- can be inferred as entire 2nd paragraph was to highlight concern that studies are not taught from feminist perspective and doubts the survey..author is skeptical throughout...goes well with the tone as well...

Can someone help here?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Jan 2018
Posts: 20
Re: It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 19:41
pk123 wrote:
broall wrote:
It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make their appearance in Japanese universities. Thus far, very few studies have actually looked closely at the types of courses offered; the content and methodology of the courses; how they are perceived and evaluated by students, faculty, and administrators; and the impact of these courses – both short-term and long-term – on students as well as on the institutions themselves. An annual survey of women’s studies course offerings in higher institutions nationwide conducted by National Women’s Education Center since 1983 is one of few such sources.

According to its 1994 report, in 1992, 268 institutions of higher education offered courses in women’s studies out of a total of 1,101 institutions. There is no question that this represents a significant increase compared to the late 1970s, when only a handful of institutions offered such courses. Yet, looking again at the courses and the proportion of institutions offering them, it must be pointed out that the figure is deceptive. Even in cases in which courses are offered, usually just one or two courses are taught at each institution. Another questionable point concerns the extent to which the various courses are taught from a feminist perspective. The NWEC survey gives no definition for the term women’s studies. The questionnaire asks whether the respondent runs any ‘women’s studies-related course’ by which it basically means any course that is labeled ‘women’s’, such as ‘Women’s Studies’, ‘Women’s Issues’, or ‘Women’s History’ as well as courses in any of the various disciplines that deal with the subject of women or give special attention to women. Our estimate is that courses with explicitly feminist perspectives make up about one-third of all courses offered. The rest seem to consist of best of an ‘add women and stir’ type of approach, as it were. Thus the instructor of a course on Korean history whose theme is ‘The History of Korean Family and Women’ makes the comment: “The course is not from the perspective of women’s studies, but rather to fill a gap in Japanese research on Korean history”.This is not surprising in the light that, in the NWEC survey, only 26 out of 499 instructors teaching women’s studies-related courses – all of whom were women – claimed their field of specialization to be that of women’s studies per se.

Source: Japanese Women: New Feminist Perspectives on the Past, Present, and Future – Kumiko Fujimura-Fanselow, Atsuko Kameda
Which of the following best summarizes the content of the passage?

A. A critique of women's studies as an academic discipline
B. A report on the progress of women's studies programs in Japan
C. An assessment of the status of women's studies programs in the Japanese academia
D. An analysis of the philosophy of women's studies programs
E. An abbreviated history of women's studies programs in Japan in the 1970s
Spoiler: :: OA
C

According to the author, the 1994 report from National Women's Education Center

A. is the only important annual survey of women's studies programs in higher education in Japan since 1983
B. shows for the first time a significant increase in total number of women's studies courses offered since the 1970s
C. highlights that the percentage of male students in women's studies programs is low
D. shows that the male-female ratio in faculties at Japanese universities is not conducive for women's studies programs
E. indicates significant increase in total number of women's studies courses offered since the 1970s, but is inadequate in portraying the correct status of women's studies
Spoiler: :: OA
E


Which of the following can be said about the course ‘The History of Korean Family and Women’?
A. It represents historic research more than an explicit feminist perspective.
B. It does not conform to National Women's Education Center's definition of "women's studies".
C. It is an old course revised by subtly adding a feminist perspective.
D. It is not likely taught by an instructor who claims women's studies as his/her field of specialization.
E. It highlights concerns over the extent to which women's studies are taught from feminist perspectives.
Spoiler: :: OA
A



Source: Experts Global


Have a small doubt on 3rd Questions...Which of the following can be said about the course ‘The History of Korean Family and Women’?
Excerpts from the passage "Thus the instructor of a course on Korean history whose theme is ‘The History of Korean Family and Women’ makes the comment: “The course is not from the perspective of women’s studies, but rather to fill a gap in Japanese research on Korean history[/color]”.

A is just a paraphrase of what is being told in the coloured line.

Believe the question asks more than paraphrase or according to passage, it is about inference and out of the lot I found option E as more relevant.

A. It represents historic research more than an explicit feminist perspective. --- Paraphrase of statement "The course is not from the perspective of women’s studies, but rather to fill a gap in Japanese research on Korean history"
B. It does not conform to National Women's Education Center's definition of "women's studies". --- Its a 180 degree
C. It is an old course revised by subtly adding a feminist perspective. ---its not mentioned
D. It is not likely taught by an instructor who claims women's studies as his/her field of specialization.---it goes beyond what is mentioned in the paragraph...may be it or maybe it is not...not clearly told
E. It highlights concerns over the extent to which women's studies are taught from feminist perspectives.--- can be inferred as entire 2nd paragraph was to highlight concern that studies are not taught from feminist perspective and doubts the survey..author is skeptical throughout...goes well with the tone as well...

Can someone help here?


pk123 What you have mentioned about the overall theme of second para is correct. You can infer E from the tone of second paragraph. However, the question is specifically about the course ‘The History of Korean Family and Women’ and hence it is a detail question about this particular course rather than an inference question for second paragraph.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Apr 2016
Posts: 30
Re: It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 09:09
For Q1, I'm having trouble understanding why C, not B is correct.

My understanding of the passage:
Paragraph 1: women's studies programs introduced to Japan. Very few materials that evaluate progress of women's studies programs in Japan. One survey does
Paragraph 2: Survey's impression of progress is misleading

B. A report on the progress of women's studies programs in Japan
C. An assessment of the status of women's studies programs in the Japanese academia
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2401
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 10:33
1.Which of the following best summarizes the content of the passage?

A. A critique of women's studies as an academic discipline
B. A report on the progress of women's studies programs in Japan
C. An assessment of the status of women's studies programs in the Japanese academia
D. An analysis of the philosophy of women's studies programs
E. An abbreviated history of women's studies programs in Japan in the 1970s

I chose B instead of OA-C .

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , DmitryFarber , workout , other experts - Can you please provide a solution for this question ?
_________________
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 3053
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 19:29
1
Skywalker18 wrote:
1.Which of the following best summarizes the content of the passage?

A. A critique of women's studies as an academic discipline
B. A report on the progress of women's studies programs in Japan
C. An assessment of the status of women's studies programs in the Japanese academia
D. An analysis of the philosophy of women's studies programs
E. An abbreviated history of women's studies programs in Japan in the 1970s

I chose B instead of OA-C .

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , DmitryFarber , workout , other experts - Can you please provide a solution for this question ?
I'd be a little wary of marking C as well, but we should keep the word "best" (best summarizes the content) in mind. It is a reminder that the correct option has to be the best of the 5 given options, nothing more.

Let's compare B and C:

B. A report on the progress of women's studies programs in Japan
C. An assessment of the status of women's studies programs in the Japanese academia

It's possible that the author of this question is asking us to mark the option that provides a reference to Japanese universities (maybe they've set the option with only Japan up as being too general). They could also be asking us to pick the word assessment, keeping in mind that the author of the passage does not simply report things.

Experts' Global is on GMAT Club, so maybe their instructors could also chip in with the OE.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 23 Aug 2016
Posts: 101
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.84
WE: Other (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 17:19
AjiteshArun wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
1.Which of the following best summarizes the content of the passage?

A. A critique of women's studies as an academic discipline
B. A report on the progress of women's studies programs in Japan
C. An assessment of the status of women's studies programs in the Japanese academia
D. An analysis of the philosophy of women's studies programs
E. An abbreviated history of women's studies programs in Japan in the 1970s

I chose B instead of OA-C .

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , DmitryFarber , workout , other experts - Can you please provide a solution for this question ?
I'd be a little wary of marking C as well, but we should keep the word "best" (best summarizes the content) in mind. It is a reminder that the correct option has to be the best of the 5 given options, nothing more.

Let's compare B and C:

B. A report on the progress of women's studies programs in Japan
C. An assessment of the status of women's studies programs in the Japanese academia

It's possible that the author of this question is asking us to mark the option that provides a reference to Japanese universities (maybe they've set the option with only Japan up as being too general). They could also be asking us to pick the word assessment, keeping in mind that the author of the passage does not simply report things.

Experts' Global is on GMAT Club, so maybe their instructors could also chip in with the OE.


Hi,

nice explanation!
one point which goes in favor of choice B is "progress". how the women's studies progressed in 1970s, 1994s is also mentioned which is completely neglected in choice C.

Any expert ????
_________________
Thanks and Regards,

Honneeey.

In former years,Used to run for "Likes", nowadays, craving for "Kudos". :D
Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 235
Re: It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 14:33
honneeey wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
1.Which of the following best summarizes the content of the passage?

A. A critique of women's studies as an academic discipline
B. A report on the progress of women's studies programs in Japan
C. An assessment of the status of women's studies programs in the Japanese academia
D. An analysis of the philosophy of women's studies programs
E. An abbreviated history of women's studies programs in Japan in the 1970s

I chose B instead of OA-C .

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , DmitryFarber , workout , other experts - Can you please provide a solution for this question ?
I'd be a little wary of marking C as well, but we should keep the word "best" (best summarizes the content) in mind. It is a reminder that the correct option has to be the best of the 5 given options, nothing more.

Let's compare B and C:

B. A report on the progress of women's studies programs in Japan
C. An assessment of the status of women's studies programs in the Japanese academia

It's possible that the author of this question is asking us to mark the option that provides a reference to Japanese universities (maybe they've set the option with only Japan up as being too general). They could also be asking us to pick the word assessment, keeping in mind that the author of the passage does not simply report things.

Experts' Global is on GMAT Club, so maybe their instructors could also chip in with the OE.


Hi,

nice explanation!
one point which goes in favor of choice B is "progress". how the women's studies progressed in 1970s, 1994s is also mentioned which is completely neglected in choice C.

Any expert ????


Hello,

Sorry, we learnt about this thread a bit late. Thanks AjiteshArun for chipping in.

This is one of the questions where you don't get a choice you wished for and need to rather go for the "best" among the given choices. B is a trap; a deliberate, close choice.

It's quite the battle between "report" versus "assessment" and "progress" versus "status". The deal maker is "assessment", a much better term than "report", given the construction of the passage- the first paragraph discusses the advent of such studies in mid-1970s and the second paragraph discusses the elusive nature of a report about the status two decades later. Hence, "analysis"/"assessment"/"evaluation"/"discussion" are more appropriate terms (for summarizing the content of the passage) than "report".

The talk about 1994 is for mentioning a report (about the "status" in 1992) that the author finds elusive. The purpose of the second paragraph is about "suggesting"/"discussing"/"analyzing"/"assessing" the (elusive nature of) indicated progress in the report rather than "reporting" a progress.

We have made a minor change in the question to make the distinction between two choices (B and C) little more apparent.

Trivia: "status" can be singular as well as plural and for present as well as past. Not knowing this may contribute to the elimination of C.

All the best!
Experts' Global team
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Oct 2018
Posts: 1
Re: It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 05:34
Quote:
Which of the following can be said about the course ‘The History of Korean Family and Women’?
A. It represents historic research more than an explicit feminist perspective.
B. It does not conform to National Women's Education Center's definition of "women's studies".
C. It is an old course revised by subtly adding a feminist perspective.
D. It is not likely taught by an instructor who claims women's studies as his/her field of specialization.
E. It highlights concerns over the extent to which women's studies are taught from feminist perspectives.

IMO E is incorrect because the question asks the content of the course, the course itself, not the author's purpose to present this course.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make the   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2019, 05:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

It was in the mid-1970s that women’s studies courses began to make the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne